Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I have to say, the interviews RPS has up are soothing any hurt from having to wait for pike-and-shot pretty well. More interesting internal conflicts? Atmospheric events for each faction? Legionary histories, traits, and equipment? That's the good stuff.

Got a bit of an eyebrow raised about the whole "zooming down to the individual view of a soldier and reacting when the guy next to me takes an arrow to the knee", though. Not quite sure how that's supposed to work out to help improve gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tomn posted:

I have to say, the interviews RPS has up are soothing any hurt from having to wait for pike-and-shot pretty well. More interesting internal conflicts? Atmospheric events for each faction? Legionary histories, traits, and equipment? That's the good stuff.

Got a bit of an eyebrow raised about the whole "zooming down to the individual view of a soldier and reacting when the guy next to me takes an arrow to the knee", though. Not quite sure how that's supposed to work out to help improve gameplay.

Thing about it this way: doing pike-and-shot well means nailing mixed equipment units first. Engine limitations have prevented it in the past, Rome 2's engine and features hint at this being CA's first attempt at being able to do that.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
IIRC, there's a Shogun 2 mod (Rights of Man 3?) that managed to implement mixed weapons. Pike&Shot Ashigaru, to be exact. They still have issues, but they work.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

quote:

The bigger campaign map has "hundreds" of regions to move your units around, but the game buckets them into provinces to make management easier. The idea is to have you thinking about armies and legions rather than fiddling around with individual units.

Seems like detailed region play is coming back.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Should I get Shogun 2 or go straight for Fall of the Samurai? I've only played Rome before. Should I try any of the earlier games first? I just got a beefy computer, so something modern would be cool.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Tomn posted:

It doesn't help gameplay, it helps the HOLY poo poo THIS LOOKS AWESOME factor. Although when they move onto gunpowder eras again it'll help a lot with figuring out if your cannons have a good shot or if they're gonna give a nearby hill a good kicking instead.

On the flip-side, it also looks like they're having a Supreme Commander-style zoom-out overlay instead of a minimap, which is awesome since I loved that in SupCom.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Part 2 of the RPS interview is up

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Rome Developer Guy posted:

We’re really committed to constantly improving the AI, because that’s a very important part of the experience, particularly for single player obviously. We’re doing loads of new stuff with the AI, part of that human face thing that we were talking about is to make the AI in diplomacy, for instance, feel a lot more human and a lot more convincing. So we’re doing a whole bunch of things related to that, to add a lot more personality and let the player understand the motives of the AI more. We’ve got these two separate systems; there’s the diplomatic relations system and the core AI intentions system. What we’re doing is combining those into one. The AI intentions and the way it behaves diplomatically won’t be separate systems that are communicating, the will be the same system. So we’re putting love and hate at the very heart of the AI’s intentions.

I could swear they've said this like 3 times before.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm drooling over these screenshots. Just drooling.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sistergodiva posted:

Should I get Shogun 2 or go straight for Fall of the Samurai? I've only played Rome before. Should I try any of the earlier games first? I just got a beefy computer, so something modern would be cool.

Having just finished my first game of FOTS - get Shogun 2 first. I love my Napoleonic warfare, but FOTS literally just consists of 'get the biggest artillery pieces, watch them murder everyone'.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

On the flip-side, it also looks like they're having a Supreme Commander-style zoom-out overlay instead of a minimap, which is awesome since I loved that in SupCom.

That would make the game amazing assuming the battles are going to be big enough to justify it. I'm also really hoping they combine naval and land combat, I want to be able to storm a port and land a bunch of infantry then advanced into the city all in one go.

edit - Okay, after actually reading the article that seems to be ingame. Yay.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 3, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MadJackMcJack posted:

Speaking of SC, it's not going to happen but I like to dream: dual-screen support.

Tempbot
Nov 22, 2005

by angerbot

Flippycunt posted:

It will be the same dumbfuck diplomacy system as before but as long as it's moddable it'll still be the best strategy game of 2013. Among the reasons shogun 2 was so good was they simplified the game to make it fun and playable with many of the systems left over from empire.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Speaking of SC, it's not going to happen but I like to dream: dual-screen support.

I'd love to be able to set display 2 to pan close up to fights while screen 1 remained in a tactical view or vice versa.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Sistergodiva posted:

Wait for the STEAM summer sale when CA reduces the price all their products down quite a bit then get both :).

Meaningless
May 10, 2012
I'm quite looking forward to the integrated naval battles in Rome II. Lack of a use for my navy was always my biggest problem with the first Rome.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wait for the STEAM summer sale when CA reduces the price all their products down quite a bit then get both :).

Summer Sale isn't coming in 2012. The Mayans were right. :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

Awwww why. Why!

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Flippycunt posted:

Half of what we hear about the game prior to release will be total bullshit. At least they finally got rid of their lying shitbag PR manager...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
This game better be more historically accurate than Rome, which was my only gripe.
Hell the devs should look at Europa Barbaroum and use that as their historical background. Hopefully they'll remember that they hosed up Egypt. But yeah I'm going to buy a new computer just for this game.
E: Also I hope they still use this song for the battles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YeulwYhQoU

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 3, 2012

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
AI and diplomacy in general are the only faults (well, only un-moddable ones) in Total War systems. The AI only sees the nearest town. No matter if there is an continent-spanning empire behind it with a dozen armies where surviving six battles means you are a rookie pussy and a leader who has so many command stars on his stats that he can throw them at people like shurikens and every patch of enemy land he's stepped over stopped being enemy land as soon as it did so.

No. That doesn't concern the AI. It sees that town. It doesn't have any strategic importance, it's not particulary wealthy...maybe the God-Empire of Zero Losses just forgot to garrison it while it's finishing off another foe.

But it wants that loving town.

And it's going to take it.

With three units.

And dozen turns later when it has been reduced to a single province with zero armies, and five stacks are closing on it's besieged capital...the EMPIRE deigns to send a peace feeler. For some reason, instead of crushing the walls, raping and enslaving what remains living...they are willing to let it go and make you a protectorate. They must be insane.

Well, so is the AI. Because it, and I quote, sees no reason for a ceasefire just yet, why, some of the enemy are still living!

:negative:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

3 Tablets Daily posted:

Half of what we hear about the game prior to release will be total bullshit. At least they finally got rid of their lying shitbag PR manager...

When'd they fire his rear end?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I really can't play Shogun 2's campaign, I don't think I've ever finished one so far and I've just ended my first one after an hour of playing becuse I realized I'm bored and won't bother completing it. I think it's a mixture of the setting, that I don't really care about different clans which are all the same and that I spent the last 10 minutes just taking empty castles. I'm gonna give Napoleon another shot as I remember it being more fun, I just hope Rome 2 scratches that itch or atleast manages to be large enough to give the false sense of complexity.

Then again if the multiplayer is half as good as Shogun's was in the first few months I could probably pour a hundred or so hours into it.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 3, 2012

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Hopefully they'll remember that they hosed up Egypt.
The New Kingdom is in this game because the chronologically correct Ptolemaic Dynasty would have been too similar to other Alexandrian states, according to CA.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

poo poo man, I need this now. Right now. When is it due out? Fall, or March?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gonkish posted:

poo poo man, I need this now. Right now. When is it due out? Fall, or March?

Summer 2013 or even later. I hope they don't rush it because look at all the new stuff they are aiming to have.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Sistergodiva posted:

Depends on what kind of Total War game you want.
If you want a melee and samurai focused Total War game then get Shogun 2. If you want to play a Total War with a gun and cannon focus, then get Fall of the Samurai. Both are great games so it's the type of gameplay that you will have to decide on.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Summer 2013 or even later. I hope they don't rush it because look at all the new stuff they are aiming to have.

That makes sense. If they pull it off, it could be the best game in the series.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I wasnt too thrilled with Empire but Shogun got so good playtime. Rome sucked away so much of my university life and possibly ruined a few relationships. I cant wait for this one!

Though Im getting a bit anxious at the apparent lack of a new era focus. I wish they'd do Post-Colonial Africa. Man would that be sweet (just think of all the achievements you can create for that, heh). I kind of wish CA would do a Malazan fiction based game after reading the books.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zettace posted:

Depends on what kind of Total War game you want.
If you want a melee and samurai focused Total War game then get Shogun 2. If you want to play a Total War with a gun and cannon focus, then get Fall of the Samurai. Both are great games so it's the type of gameplay that you will have to decide on.

If you want a Total War with a gun and cannon focus then get Napoleon. FOTS is an interesting diversion but it isn't a particularly good game and doesn't hold much replayability.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Omnicarus posted:

Where did you hear this, the Steam thread says nothing about this :confused:

Then again your red title...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah FotS was pretty fun but I'm gonna go back to Napoleon.

Speaking of which, are there any good mods to get? There are a ton on TWCenter but it's always hard to tell which ones are well made and actually thought out and which ones were done in 10 minutes without actually going through and looking at all of them.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Sistergodiva posted:

Depends on your period of interest, really. If you like samurai, go for Shogun 2. If you like the idea of shooting samurai with Civil War-era technology, go for Fall of the Samurai. If you prefer to see Napoleon curb-stomping Europe, go with Napoleon.

Stuff before that starts to get a bit iffy nowadays. Empire is kinda bland, and Medieval 2, while a good game, is also a bit dated and lacks many quality-of-life improvements (how do you like the idea of micromanaging two dozen agents every turn?) Barbarian Invasion has a neat premise and is a good upgrade for Rome, if you want something closer to what you're used to.

In general, though, aside from Empire you'd probably do better just to look for your favorite historical period than trying to winkle out the objectively best game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarkCrawler posted:

AI and diplomacy in general are the only faults (well, only un-moddable ones) in Total War systems. The AI only sees the nearest town. No matter if there is an continent-spanning empire behind it with a dozen armies where surviving six battles means you are a rookie pussy and a leader who has so many command stars on his stats that he can throw them at people like shurikens and every patch of enemy land he's stepped over stopped being enemy land as soon as it did so.

No. That doesn't concern the AI. It sees that town. It doesn't have any strategic importance, it's not particulary wealthy...maybe the God-Empire of Zero Losses just forgot to garrison it while it's finishing off another foe.

But it wants that loving town.

And it's going to take it.

With three units.

And dozen turns later when it has been reduced to a single province with zero armies, and five stacks are closing on it's besieged capital...the EMPIRE deigns to send a peace feeler. For some reason, instead of crushing the walls, raping and enslaving what remains living...they are willing to let it go and make you a protectorate. They must be insane.

Well, so is the AI. Because it, and I quote, sees no reason for a ceasefire just yet, why, some of the enemy are still living!

:negative:

And in Medieval they didn't even look at that lovely town, all they needed was a port to blockade and end it's 54 turn long alliance with it's super power friend :downs:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

We should send a complimentary Heathrow-Arlanda air ticket to the CA guys so they can borrow Paradox's diplomatic AI. Say what you will about EU3 countries' eagerness to grab random patches of northern Norway, at least if a country has been your ally for 300 years there are better than even chances they'll stay your ally for the next 100.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Does anyone have any good mod recommendations for Empire: Total War? It's the one game in the series I haven't played a whole bunch but I've heard that by default it's sorta.. Meh. I would just play Napoleon, but I want the larger scale of Empire.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Alchenar posted:

If you want a Total War with a gun and cannon focus then get Napoleon. FOTS is an interesting diversion but it isn't a particularly good game and doesn't hold much replayability.
I disagree. FotS is the most polished Total War gun and cannon game by far. I've tried to get in to Napoleon but it's too much of a step backwards from FotS. Napoleon has no naval bombardment, reorganizing armies are a pain in the rear end, the game is more buggy and slower, etc. Also FotS's Realm Divide makes the game very interesting as it gives some challenge late game.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 4, 2012

American Folk Hero
Oct 21, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

The New Kingdom is in this game because the chronologically correct Ptolemaic Dynasty would have been too similar to other Alexandrian states, according to CA.

The Alexandrian successors in-game (and Hellenized factions like Thrace and Pontus) have greater differences between them than the FOUR goddamn identical Roman factions, so I really don't buy that excuse at all.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

If they want to throw in a ridiculous Egyptian faction, more power to them. I'm totally fine with an Ancient Culture Super Smash Bros. Bring on the screeching women and flaming pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

American Folk Hero posted:

The Alexandrian successors in-game (and Hellenized factions like Thrace and Pontus) have greater differences between them than the FOUR goddamn identical Roman factions, so I really don't buy that excuse at all.

It is pretty dumb, the best thing they can do is make a Historically Accurate DLC reskin of a faction or something if they aren't going to enable modding with this one too.

I hope they will be smart and have modding with this one. Seriously.