Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Seriously. More SRW plots should go completely off the wall like D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

D is the primary reason I loving hate Invaders, too. Do they have HP Regen on top of their Energy Draining attacks in Z2.1?

I didn't think Getter would show up in the CB route, but Saotome's command makes a lot of sense, and I'm not one to complain for one of the few units that is almost always amazing in every game it is featured in.

I gotta say this LP is making it so much easier for me to wait until a Vita price drop to get my own, so my wallet wants to thank you Caphi.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Caphi posted:

He wants her to add a kickass super move to the Nova Rhino, which currently turns into a useless weight when it becomes part of Dancouga Nova. She gets mad and tries to molest him.

Yeah, this poo poo is the sort of thing I was talking about when I complained about Dancougar Nova.

I also recall that Brian Steggmeyer guy being some kind of really heavy-handed dig at the Bush Jr. administration in the show. The terms "world police" were used, though to be fair that may have just been the fansubbers.

I don't know why I didn't just stop watching Dancougar Nova two or three episodes in.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gulping Again posted:

Ah, Super Robot Wars D. As far as SRW games I'd like to see in English go, D's drat near the top of the list, right after the various OGs games that will never get localized because Sony is a bag of dickfucks and Namco doesn't believe that America is a real place that exists and buys videogames.

In terms of gameplay, D is nothing special. In fact, it's fundamentally broken, and even discounting that, it's still not great. It's better than the torturous slogs that A and R are, but that's not actually difficult. No, where D succeeds is in its story, which focuses heavily on Getter Robo: Armageddon, Macross 7, and Victory Gundam, with a dash of Wing, Godmars, and Megazone 23(in its only SRW appearance) to taste.

Anyone who knows anything about Victory Gundam can already guess just how hosed everything is in D.

D was also the debut of Big O in SRW, and its return in Z1 was hailed with cheers. Then the series list for Z2.1 came out, featuring Godmars and Getter Robo: Armageddon. And then Z2.2 threw in Macross7 and the Dynamite 7 OVA to further draw comparisons between Z2 and D. And then you do this LP of Z2.1, and show us that it's not just the series list that is reminiscent of D.

Wow, this post is a mess, isn't it? My main point is that Z2 feels like they tried to make a sort of successor to D with both the series list and storyline, and it looks like they've succeeded.

There are rumors going around that D might be remade someday. The huge number of overlapping series and the upcoming 2nd OGs (Someday) which features its story and mecha has lead some people to think it might get a remake on the Vita someday like SRW A Portable. That game remade SRW A from the GBA on the PSP using console game sprites from across the franchise but it was sunk by a couple of stupid choices. I'm all for this remaking D though, SRW D has some serious flaws in gameplay like you said. For those who haven't played it the game messed up the way armor works so Super Robots take barely any less damage than Real Robots and the missions even besides this are hard as gently caress because enemies with low health actually start defending. If they brought the difficulty more in line with Z2.2 or OGs I'd be completely on board replaying D.

CaptainRat posted:

D featured probably the most off-the-wall interpretation of Char's Counterattack; as your team is preparing to prevent Axis from dropping the colony on Earth, the original enemies suddenly create this huge barrier over the entirety of the planet, at which point everyone goes, "welp," buries the hatchet, and joins OZ.

Actually your team FAILS to stop the Axis drop, Amuro and Captain Bright were sold out by OZ and end up captured by Neo Zeon. In fact Axis hits the Earth and the entire planet just flat out vanishes. Turns out that catastrophe of the Axis hit and several other things were used by the Original enemies, the Ruina, to pull Earth into another world. Space goes nuts because Earth is suddenly not there and Amuro and Captain Bright team up with Char, Quess, Gyunei, Char, and Heero to find out what's going on.

TK-31 posted:

D is the primary reason I loving hate Invaders, too. Do they have HP Regen on top of their Energy Draining attacks in Z2.1?

I didn't think Getter would show up in the CB route, but Saotome's command makes a lot of sense, and I'm not one to complain for one of the few units that is almost always amazing in every game it is featured in.

I gotta say this LP is making it so much easier for me to wait until a Vita price drop to get my own, so my wallet wants to thank you Caphi.

Invaders in Z2.1 still regenerate HP and they still drain energy and their still a pain but they're actually small potatoes in Z2.1. One big reason is that unlike D enemies don't choose to defend at low health so Invaders have less chance to use their Regen because you can kill them outright. Caphi hasn't gotten to showing off the really TOUGH DAMON, frankly there's no enemy in Z2.1 that's all that hard when compared to fighting goddamn legions of loving Bull and Rhino DAMON.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Snot Man posted:

I also recall that Brian Steggmeyer guy being some kind of really heavy-handed dig at the Bush Jr. administration in the show. The terms "world police" were used, though to be fair that may have just been the fansubbers.

He did say "the police of the world," as literally as Japanese gets, but I guess I took a liberty with it. I assume he's from Gundam and I didn't actually watch 00 so I didn't know it was one of those things (and even if I did and translated the reference, it'd be dated by now...).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah he's the President of the Union in Gundam 00.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
So he is from 00! I guess my memories were confused. It's also possible both shows did something similar with their United States stand-in. I remember seeing a lot of hard-hitting political commentary about the US in anime before Obama got elected.

Then things got weirder but that's another story entirely.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Snot Man posted:

I don't know why I didn't just stop watching Dancougar Nova two or three episodes in.

There are potential reasons why. Mainly you thought it was actually funny, you had nothing else better to do, you figured it would get better eventually, or it could be the fanservice.

I'm just guessing since I never saw the show.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

In fact Axis hits the Earth and the entire planet just flat out vanishes. Turns out that catastrophe of the Axis hit and several other things were used by the Original enemies, the Ruina, to pull Earth into another world. Space goes nuts because Earth is suddenly not there and Amuro and Captain Bright team up with Char, Quess, Gyunei, and Heero to find out what's going on.

And this is why D is wonderful. This isn't a midpoint or anything, this is how the game STARTS.

It's not even trying to be anything other than completely off the wall and batshit, and I love it. This is just the kind of absurd setup more things need. The loving PLANET EARTH VANISHES INTO ANOTHER DIMENSION. That's FANTASTIC.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Chiming in to say that Getter Robo rules. It's great that they decided to have the Getter Team use the classic-style Getter Robo rather than (late game spoiler for those that care) just jumping straight into Shin Getter. Musashi in general rarely gets used in games at all, so you'd better use him for all he's worth, Armageddon Musashi rules hardcore. The cut-ins, the yelling, his always-on murder face, everything.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Happy Fourth! I'm behind enough that I want to use my break to snap out an extra update or two, because I know someone's looking forward to the final arm of the path split and I personally am looking forward to what comes beyond it.

Getter gets upgraded!

Ryoma and Hayato badly need EN Save. I would like to put Dash on Hayato because he will be used a lot for charging with the Getter-2's high speed. (Dash is a new Z2 skill that adds one square of speed and a second one at 130 Will.)

Ryoma and Hayato both have reasonable Skills that would let them trigger Attack Again often, but not constantly.

Getter-2 now has a base speed of 9, as fast as Mazinger is with Accel.

Back in Area 11, Saji is trying really hard to make small talk with Setsuna. He asks why Setsuna is out of his room so much, and Setsuna just replies that he has "work." Saji presses on by commenting that he's going to be out for a while himself; he's gonna be doing some studying up in orbit.

By the way, I often skip the map displays, but here's one that shows all the geographical parts of the near-Earth system: the planet, the moon, the "dark moon," and two Lagrange points at which the Colonies are presumably placed.

The Ptolemaios, Celestial Being's mothership, is hanging out in high orbit. Sumeragi has just come back and dove straight into her beer. Allelujah, who came up with her as her bodyguard, chats with the Ptolemaios crew about the happenings down on Earth, which they've only heard about from their perch in space - the alliance with Dancouga and Getter and the appearance of the Invaders. Allelujah mentions that he doesn't like space because it's "too quiet," but Sumeragi thinks that's just a mask for something terrible out of his past.

Meanwhile, in an HRL base, Sergei is meeting his new subordinate, artificially augmented super-soldier Soma Pieris. Ms. Pieris was actually created from the genes up for the super soldier project, which Sergei seems a little surprised was still going on under the table. Anyway Sergei, quickly regaining his balance, asks her to test their new machine, the Tieren Tao-Tzu, in zero G's for him so he can see how good her reactions are. That Tieren is supposedly the HRL's new anti-Gundam weapon...

We cut back to Dragon's Hive, where Ru Riruri is trying to do her job as the Dragon's Hive site counselor. To that end, she's calling in each staff member for a one-on-one session. Aoi asks her about the previous patient, Tieria, and while Ru is bound by confidentiality, Aoi has some guesses. "'This is Celestial Being's Mission.' 'It is my duty as a Gundam Meister.' 'I will obey Veda.' Did I miss anything?"

So much for confidentiality; Aoi starts worming info out of the good doctor. Lockon and Allelujah were pretty pleasant, though she detected something bothering Allelujah. She didn't make any progress on Crowe's debt problems or his deep-seated mistrust of females of all stripes. As for the Getter Team... they refused. They all said they didn't need no head-shrinking. "Fair enough. No point trying to deal with beasts like them anyway."

But maybe it all went as planned? Ru now turns the conversation around and wonders why Aoi is suddenly curious about her teammates. Perhaps she... actually cares about them a little? It's a little bit of progress, but Aoi quickly excuses herself. Alone, Ru reflects that while none of Team D opened up to her, she still sensed a wild beast in each of them waiting to get out - maybe stronger than anyone on the Getter Team's.

The last patient, Setsuna arrives. Ru thinks he's the one whose mind she needs to get into most of all, but the scene fades to black.

And in the familiar command room, the Getter Team is fuming at all the secrets Celestial Being and Dancouga Nova are keeping from them (for example, where Sumeragi and Allelujah have gone and what the deal is with their base). But those three even turned down a chat with the counselor. Mollified, the Psychopath Team agrees not to pry, and it's not like they're going to be teamed up for very long anyway. The distant uneasy alliance of two has become a distant uneasy alliance of three.

Musashi offhandedly comments that the Getter Team's refusal to submit to counseling was really for the little girl's own good. Each of their past exploits is nothing that a child should hear.

Crowe's a little jealous of the wild bunch, prompting Ryoma to offer him lessons in "kicking them out of your way" and Hayato to extend a job offer with good pay "but it won't be clean or pretty." Crowe refuses. He pays off his debts square and on the up-and-up.

If only all the "heroes" here were so honorable. Tieria readily admits that he's only with the gang due to Veda's orders, but will gladly abandon us to, say, protect Celestial Being's secret space base, even if it he has to abandon, say, a fight to defend people from the Invaders. Ryoma and Hayato call that stupid - "What's the point of ending war again? Pretty sure it's for the people." Tieria considers these hypothetical people sacrifices for the greater good, and the argument heats up.

Lockon and Crowe, the cool kids, quiet down the storm, but in the quiet after, Aoi finally asks Tieria directly what's the deal with Celestial Being ending war worldwide, but Tieria refuses to answer. Kurara comes to the same conclusion Ru did, that it's not like the old Aoi to get into peoples' business like this. Sakuya points out that the same can be said about what Kurara just said to Aoi, and Johnny chimes in with the same about what Sakuya just said to Kurara. As the team gets properly flustered, Commander Tanaka beams and thinks that these kids might be the ones to open the door in Dancouga Nova.

Chapter 8: For Whom Would You Pull The Trigger?
(Celestial Being route)

The Tao-Tzu's mobility test is going great.

When a soldier admires super-soldier Pieris' abilities, Sergei replies with the odd line "But she is still a girl."

In a fit of bad luck, a private shuttle happens to pass through this secret military test zone. Sergei manages to keep his soldiers from shooting it down.

Which is for the best, because it's the shuttle carrying the students of that space training academy back down to Earth, including Saji Crossroad and Louise Halevy. The two have a cute moment admiring the planet and Orbital Ring.

Suddenly, Pieris cries that her head hurts, something is trying to get inside her, get it out, keep it out...

Back on the Ptolemaios, Allelujah is having the same headache.

A change comes over him, and he roars. "Who the hell are you? What're you doing in my head? I'll kill you!"

Chris calls him back to the bridge. Apparently, Invaders have appeared around an HRL test site and Sumeragi is making plans. But the changed Allelujah would rather get out there and kill 'em all.

The real Allelujah begs "Hallelujah" not to go, because there are civilians in danger there. That actually stops the crazy one for a moment.

Sergei orders his men to take the Tao-Tzu, but before they can, Invaders attack the entire zone and destroy the soldiers.

They're the ugly ones from before and a type we haven't seen before.

The shuttle's engine is damaged in the attack, and it begins to fall towards the planet.

The Invaders don't let up, and Pieris is in no condition to fight.

Kyrios enters the zone and moves to defend the shuttle.

But Pieris recognizes its pilot as the entity invading her mind and approaches it.

As she does, both of their headaches worsen.

Hallelujah takes over and promises Allelujah to destroy that ugly pink fucker and the monsters. He declares that he and Pieris are cut from the same cloth: "Our bodies are modified and our brains are scrambled! We're freaks!" Sergei takes off to gather reinforcements. In her addled state, Pieris has no mind for the Invaders and is focused only on Allelujah.

With only Hallelujah on the map, our job is to take out all the Invaders, with or without Pieris. The SR Point is to take out her and the Invaders and do it within five player phases (not turns).

Let's pay attention to Hallelujah's stats. Though he shares Allelujah's kill count, his Ace Bonus is reversed: Accuracy +20% instead of Allelujah's Evasion. His offenses and accuracy are very slightly better, as is his defense, while his skill and evasion are slightly worse. His Skills are the same, and his Spirits are different only in that Allelujah's Vigor (30% heal) has been upgraded to Hallelujah's Guts (full heal).

The Invaders evidently count as the third side. It's a good bet that they'll attack indiscriminately while Pieris focuses on Kyrios alone.

Oh yeah, this is a Space stage. Unlike terrestrial stages, where you could plausibly be in the air or on the ground or even under ground or water, space stages are ironically two-dimensional. There's only one plane you can be on, and that's the Space terrain.

Isn't this fun, Allelujah? All this power and no one to stop me!
(Stop it, Hallelujah!)
In case you forgot, I'm you. All I'm doing is what you can't do for you.
(But...)
Just shut up and watch. You're too weak to fight like this yourself!

Keeping Hallelujah alive means grabbing every available advantage, including switching to the higher-maneuverability Flight Mode for that minor bump in evasion.

Now we just hope Hallelujah, who is much worse at not dying than Allelujah, doesn't die.

Gundam! I must destroy you!
(I can hear her voice!)
So it's a woman piloting that Mobile Suit.
Thanks for this stupid headache! You can pay me back with some fun before I kill you!
(Hallelujah, no!)
Why not? I'm doing this for you because you won't do it yourself.
(Don't!)
Oh. Oh, okay. Fine, Allelujah. I can't argue with you.
Pffhahaha! Ha ha ha ha! You seriously thought I'd stop myself from killing?
(Why? Why, Hallelujah? Why do you love to kill so much? Is that how I really am deep down?)
(Am I... am I a monster?)
Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha! Get ready, woman! To feel my blade in your flesh!

I know HP is all abstract and plotty and stuff, but Gundam bosses with tens of thousands are still weird.

A few Invaders get hit.

Most of them hold. The turn ends.

At the beginning of turn 2, Sumeragi flies in after Kyrios. She can tell that its pilot isn't Allelujah, but his crazy alter ego Hallelujah, though this is apparently her first time meeting him. Hallelujah is the second personality accidentally created inside Allelujah when he was a test subject of the HRL's super-soldier project - the same one that created the success of Soma Pieris.

A new lose condition is one we are going to get very very familiar with: "Allied mothership is destroyed." In fact, this is going to be a lose condition in literally any stage an allied mothership exists. Hey, let's talk about motherships.

Ptolemaios (Sumeragi Lee Noriega, Lasse Aeon, Lichtendahl Tsery, Christina Sierra, Feldt Grace)
Skills
Command L1
Share Parts
Repair Skill
Spirits
(Sumeragi)
Alert
Trust
(Lasse)
Vigor
(Lichty)
Accel
Gain
(Chris)
Scan
(Feldt)
Focus
Invincible
Traits
GN Field (barrier)
Repair
Weapons
-
Ace Bonus: :|

The Ptolemaios is in some ways a good example of a mothership and in other ways a bad one. It's huge, has a decent amount of HP but backs it up with a damage-reducing barrier, is packed with pilots that have support and survival Spirits (most ships have a Spirit pool for each member of the bridge crew), and projects a Command aura to encourage units to stick around it when they need a boost.

A mothership has another function: they have the ability to use the Recover command on an adjacent robot, or a robot can move into its square and use Dock. This removes the robot from the map and places it inside the ship, where it's protected from attacks, has its HP and EN slowly restored, and of course, moves along with the ship (this is sometimes useful for ferrying ground-bound robots across terrain).

As I was saying, a normal mothership would have more HP than the Ptolemy does, but it makes up for it with a powerful GN Field that completely blocks all damage below 2000 points. This means that any attack that does damage the ship will hit for a lot, but many attacks simply won't do damage at all.

Now, there's kind of an issue with the Ptolemy: it has no weapons. None at all. Can't attack, can't counterattack. This is kind of a serious issue, but there are two mitigating factors. First, with no attacks, the Ptolemy can merrily spend all of its counterattacks on the Defense action, which will make sure it takes no damage from almost everything thanks to its barrier. Second, it can spend its actual turns using Repair to keep other robots in passable condition rather than attacking, or even keep itself from dying.

(There are other ways to raise a pilot's kill count, though, and Sumeragi does have an Ace Bonus. :ssh:)

Finally, Sumeragi has a skill that makes her an even better support unit by letting her use consumable parts equipped to the ship on adjacent robots rather than her own unit. These include repair kits, which are redundant because Ptolemaios can repair on its own, but also items that restore ammo, energy, and SP.

For now, let's get Hallelujah under Sumeragi's influence.

By being adjacent to her, his evasion has increased considerably. (So has his hit rate, but it doesn't really matter.)

Well, these are short turns.

Neither of these two are dying anytime soon. Whatever.

Oh no the Ptolemy!

Lichty, use the Ptolemaios to cover those civilians!
Yes, ma'am! Keep an eye on the GN Field's generator!
I don't know how long she'll hold out!
We're gonna fight? But we don't have any weapons...
Stay calm, Christina Sierra. We all knew this would happen sooner or later.
B-but...
We will survive. We must all survive...
Feldt!
Feldt is right. We'll make it out alive, and we'll keep that shuttle alive too!

Thing to note about Barriers? They usually drain energy when they trigger. It's a small price to pay to keep Ptolemy alive, especially against Invaders that drain energy anyway.

Anyway back to real fights.

A couple of dead Invaders later, the planetary Celestial Being comes to save the day. Apparently, they got a message from someone explaining the whole situation, the transport shuttle and even the Ptolemy's presence. This person called himself Boatman, but refused to let Dragon's Hive say anything in return. Sumeragi wonders just who it could be, and Tanaka didn't know anything either.

Hallelujah butts in to say "cut the crap and let's go," prompting Johnny to wonder if the Getter Team's been a bad influence on Allelujah. Meanwhile, Tieria is mad that Sumeragi ordered the precious (and top-secret) Ptolemaios into the front line, but Ryoma is impressed that she'd put all that on the line to protect the innocent.

The Invaders go back to piling on Kyrios.

Luckily, some of them are peeling off to deal with the newcomers.

The worst thing about units entering on the enemy turn is no chance to raise defenses like Focus.

Luckily, Crowe dodges.

He's not so lucky with the next one. (All the Invaders that held back last turn are starting to move.)

The Star Invaders alone remain in position.

Yeah they actually look like this.

Oh, and while we're looking at enemies, it's about time to think seriously about taking down that Tao-Tzu.

Not only for the SR Point, or the experience, but because it has loot. The Thruster Module it's equipped with kicks a robot's Space rank to S, which fixes some otherwise good machines that can't function in space or have pilots that don't know how to work without G's.

Also, since someone asked, Invaders have 10% HP and EN regen.

With three turns and two counter turns left on the clock, I finally have some firepower, but the hard parts will be devoting resources to take down that Tao-Tzu, and rushing someone upwards to take out the tough Invaders hanging out in the corner of the map.

Getter-2's high natural speed (thanks to Dash - you're welcome) make it a good candidate to rush the Invaders. Plus, it's appropriate, because it's Getter.

High mobility and range let it tag an undamaged Invader.

Whoops.

Having Accelerate and a semi-disposable robot, Aoi will follow him.

She fares better.

Last is Crowe, who isn't quite as fast as the others but can definitely keep up. Actually...

He can get an enemy out of his way...

And then use Hit & Away to put himself in a better position.

Lockon only has one pre-move target. Seems like a little bit of a waste of GN Sniper Rifle ammo.

Oh well.

Virtue smash.

Actually let's place Ptolemy before the next move.

With Sumeragi's guidance, Setsuna's pre-Focus rates against Pieris (who is, after all, the stage boss) aren't bad at all.

This is going to take more Will.

Hallelujah sticks to Ptolemaios and attacks.

poo poo, Hallelujah.

With a huge Will advantage over everyone else from two turns of battle, Hallelujah does a much better job.

Turn over...

A much better job.

:sigh: Poor Ptolemy.

By the way, ew.

Units not to scale.

Some stuff happens.

I do not know when they gained a vomit attack.

Hayato uses his drill.

More Invaders refuse to die already goddamn.

The stars stay put again and the turn ticks over.

Hallelujah is going to finish this, for sentimental reasons more than anything, but I haven't shown Kyrios' beam saber and it's got some nice motion in it, so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQqvVpIh8A
Enjoy.

He moves.

He gains a level and a Thruster Module. Pieris "retreats."

With her gone, we are free to focus on the Invaders. Celestial Being will clean up the close ones while the advance team pushes the assault.

Lockon and Tieria start the cleanup operation.

Aoi takes a kill, setting her up to form Dancouga next round.

Musashi heals up Getter Robo.

Hayato finishes an Invader to build up some Will himself and not spend a lot of EN yet.

All that senseless killing had another purpose: Setsuna's joining the advance crew.

He has just enough Will to leapfrog into the anti-Star team.

He and Crowe finish off Star 1.

Turn over.

Hallelujah finishes the last minor Invader.

The final enemy finally makes a move and attacks Crowe.

Who crits for almost all its HP in one shot what the hell.

Last turn.

I have one player phase to finish all the enemies. I don't know if I can do it you guys. (I think I seriously overestimated how strong the starvaders were.)

I feel Hayato was the star of this week's Getter battle and deserves to finish off the last Invader in animated form.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNVj33F4hRg
I'm kidding, though. Since this path split is technically non-canon for this LP, experience is going to get redistributed in the end anyway, so here's the alternate Dancouga-based ending.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2zA4UDdGtA
Actually, I think this path is going to get used for two more alternate chapters before getting discarded. I think I'll keep the Dancouga ending because the levels are more even.

Either way, the SR Point is in hand.

But we haven't much time to wonder about the Invaders when the HRL's reinforcements are here.

After Celestial Being retreats, Sergei wonders about them acting to save lives, but wonders more about the connection between his new super-soldier and the fast-flying Gundam.

Saji and Louise wonder what happened as well.

Back in Tokyo-11, one of Kinue's coworkers lets her know that the shuttle was safely recovered by the HRL.

Ace journalist Isabelle Cronkite, the one who wrote that thing about Dancouga, approaches Kinue, to the latter's surprise. Kinue is chasing Celestial Being, and Cronkite is investigating Dancouga. Since the two are working together, Cronkite says she wants to partner with Kinue as well. She deploys a turn of phrase Kinue's late father said: "Seek out information and piece it together, and you will find the truth."

Back on the Ptolemy, Tieria is taking Sumeragi to task for moving the ship. Sumeragi is taking it just fine, but Allelujah jumps in and claims responsibility for taking Kyrios out and forcing Sumeragi to back him up.

Both Ryoma and Aoi have found new respect for Allelujah's courage, putting himself on the line to protect the innocent. So has Crowe: "Money can be paid back, but you can't pay back a life once it's taken."

Tieria is still mad. Now he's even accusing Allelujah of being unfit as a Gundam Meister. Sumeragi asks if he thinks he is, and he storms out in disgust.

Sumeragi wants some time alone to think, so she tells Lockon to take everybody around the ship a bit. Since the cat's out of the bag, they might as well start using Ptolemy as a mothership and transport. As they leave, all the remaining pilots express their support for Sumeragi's decision.

After they leave, though, she turns out to have been hiding doubts all along. What would she have done if Hallelujah hadn't taken Kyrios and run? But she doesn't get very far into her depression before a transmission comes in - from Boatman!

Next chapter is going to be the third and final chapter 6. We'll go to Area 11 and say hi to rebels, disaffected nobles, the return of Chirico Cuvie, and a mysterious masked man for another four chapters. See you then.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I just finished VOTOMS, so add me to the list of folks very much looking forward to how they put Chirico to use here. Of course the things I'm most interested in seeing about it are likely not even in this game, but still!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

The last patient, Setsuna arrives. Ru thinks he's the one whose mind she needs to get into most of all, but the scene fades to black.=

"Now, could you tell me what you see in this inkblot?"
"Gundam."
"Interesting. And in this one?"
"Gundam."

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

"Gundam."
"Gundam."

That is basically Setsuna in a nutshell, isn't it?

Which leads me picturing an increasing frustrated Ru eventually shouting "THIS IS NO GUNDAM, BOY. NO GUNDAM." Because everything's better with Ramba Ral.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

"Gundam."
"Gundam."

:golfclap:

That aside, I am indeed looking forward to seeing a more thorough synopsis of the Area 11 route, particularly since I find it to be the most interesting from a plot perspective, albeit at the cost of Japan's or Getter Team's hot blooded manliness.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TK-31 posted:

I just finished VOTOMS, so add me to the list of folks very much looking forward to how they put Chirico to use here. Of course the things I'm most interested in seeing about it are likely not even in this game, but still!

There are 2 important things about Chirico. Firstly Chirico is the best example of a great piloting improving a mediocre unit. The Scopedog he uses really isn't all that hot but Chirico makes it amazing. Secondly Chirico fights best after he's taken damage. Also while Z2.1 only goes through the end of Woodo Z2.2 actually does the entire VOTOMs story, through marshes and deserts and all the way into space to meet God from Star Trek 5.

A note on romanization: Soma's official last name spelling is "Pieres" and her unit is the Tieren "Taozi".

As for the Ptolemaios (nicknamed the Ptolemy by the team) it's actually the second coming of a battleship from SRWZ1. That ship, the Glomer from the series Super Dimension Century Orguss, was design mostly to repair units. Now the Glomer actually had weapons (Weak ones) and a Resupply unit to recharge Energy and Ammo but had no barrier. The Ptolemaios is also a lot more fragile than most Battleships, every other one you get has over 10000 HP and more armor but the GN Field helps somewhat.

Speaking of Battleships in general my favorite Warship selection is probably from SRWZ1 as all the ships were different and had their own strengths and weaknesses. Z1 included the Glomer which could repair but was fragile and weak, the Freedan which could also repair but was somewhat evasive and could do good ranged damage, the King Beal which had some heavy weapons, the Soriel which had some dedicated support pilots and was incredibly durable, the Iron Gear which was bad against the air but had great anti-ground weapons, the Argama which had a good cheap MAP Weapon and was captained by Noa Bright, the Eternal which had strong support pilots and a combination attack, and one more which I won't go into for various reasons.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Omnicrom posted:

A note on romanization: Soma's official last name spelling is "Pieres" and her unit is the Tieren "Taozi".

By the way, (don't click if you don't want to have as-of-yet unseen characters spoiled) this FAQ is a good one-stop place for romanized names. With a few minor exceptions, the characters and mechs are all listed with their official western romanizations, or at the very least whatever the fandom had agreed upon that week when there's no such thing available.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I find Chirico awesome, but a bit tricky to use to his full potential since that requires lettting him get to under 10% HP in a fragile unit that's likely to get killed outright before it gets there. That said, when you do get him down to the sweet spot for level 9 prevail and his '???' skill, your average mook will be lucky to reach 10% hit rate on him before you've even used Focus, and Chirico will be doing much higher damage than his Scopedog's stats would suggest.

I'm also quite fond of the GN barrier - it makes Virtue into an excellent support defender for fragile units - I don't think I've seen him take damage yet on the defense. It helps that I like how they animate melee attacks that fail to breach opposing barriers.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

There is no real reason to use Chirico's 'full potential'. He will kill things and dodge things efficiently enough without being in critical condition, and without the issue of a RNG fluctuation taking him out of the fight immediately.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

There is no real reason to use Chirico's 'full potential'. He will kill things and dodge things efficiently enough without being in critical condition, and without the issue of a RNG fluctuation taking him out of the fight immediately.

True enough, but I get a kick out of seeing perfect dodge rates out of a pilot who hasn't even used Focus in the entire level. v:shobon:v

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

For some reason the Gundam fairy dust effects never ceases to make them look silly to me.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Once again, we turn the clock far back, to a time when Crowe never went to Japan at all, but pursued Celestial Being and fought with them and the Colony Gundams against Zechs Marquis and Graham Aker before fleeing their wrath and finding himself in Area 11.

Wing Gundam and Gundam Deathscythe are in our garage. For all it's worth, I've given them some upgrades.

And these two badly need EN Save.

We also temporarily have the Muscle Cylinder dropped by Chirico's Scopedog all those months ago. There will be machines that need it, but for now I'll leave it on the Brasta.

(I've given up. I still think it's a dumbshit name, and I have no idea how to pronounce it properly, but it's just how it works. But don't say why that's how it works, because it's going to be a plot point.)

Some text scrolls by. Area 11 is this world's second Japan, under the rule of the Britannian Union for seven years. It's been named Area 11, and "Eleven" is a fairly derogatory name for the Japanese that lived there. Several of the Japanese have formed a resistance, and so have many of the Astragians that have been herded into Kanto, in the middle of the Japanese isle, under the "care" of corrupt Enforcers. However, they can't put up a fight against the sheer might of the Britannian Union. "Until that fateful day..."

At the Gilgamesh base, Rochina has placed a tracker on Chirico and traced him to the Shinjuku ghetto in Kanto.

In Ashford Academy in Tokyo, the student council is starting their meeting...

And who should have joined the board but Saji Crossroad and Louise Halevy?

The leader, cool and stylish Millay Ashford, begins to tease the newcomers, but one Lelouche Lamperouge wants to get straight to business. And that business is the invitation of a new member to the circle! But everybody already knew that. The new member in question is the talk of the whole Academy.

Lelouche's sister Nunnally (fair warning: Geass is going to be one of those series where I get hammered on names, just like Gundam and VOTOMS) brings her in, and look at that, it's Relena Dorian. She's just moved to the Academy and already picked up the nickname of "Princess."

Relena is surprised to be invited to the student council as soon as she arrived, but Louise assures her that the "council" is actually just a bunch of friends hanging out. They do arrange parties and stuff, though. Relena accepts. (Isn't it convenient to have all the main schoolgoing characters in one place?)

Anyway it is time for introductions. First the leader Millay Ashford, the granddaughter of the chairman of the school board (also its namesake), and the kind Shirley Fennet.

Next, the boisterous Rivalz Gardemond and Millay's old friend Nina Einstein.

You already know Louise Halevy, who is here abroad from Spain, and Saji Crossroad, who aims to be a rocket scientist.

And finally, Millay's second-in-command, Lelouche Lamperouge. He's a chess ace, Shirley's crush, and your main character of the evening. Though that's a bit later. He comes with a little sister Nunnally, who lives right here in the clubhouse because she's blind and lame.

Relena's father is the Vice-Minister of Foreign Affairs to the UN, and he sent Relena to Area 11 to learn more about the world outside. Lelouche agrees that Area 11 is a good place to learn about the world in many ways, but not if you stay here in Tokyo. To see what's really going on? She'd have to leave the Britannian Tokyo and see what's going on the Ghettos where the Japanese live.

In fact, the ghettos are worse than that. Some of the Japanese swore fealty to Britannia and were named "honorary Britannians," but many refused and organized a resistance movement against the Britannian yoke. On top of that, the Astragians were placed in the ghettos when they arrived from their own universe two years ago, and it sounds like they're mostly soldiers without a war, which just adds fuel to the fire.

In fact, Lelouche finishes by backtracking and saying she should really just stay away from there and forget all about it. Lelouche muses inwardly that ignorance can be bliss, but he doesn't have that luxury... if he's to create a world where Nunnally can live in peace.

Around this time, Crowe has snuck himself into Area 11 and is wandering around the Shinjuku ghetto, trying to plan his next move to track the Gundams. It's obviously a very different place from the squeaky-clean Tokyo just next door.

A girl named Coconut approaches him and wonders what he's doing here. He doesn't seem to be a Britannian, because honest Britannians don't come to places like Shinjuku - though dirty ones do. Anyway, it sounds like the Enforcers are hunting for someone, and while Crowe figures it's probably not him, there's a good chance it's the Gundams, and Coconut is a lead.

She catches on his thoughts right away, and Crowe just goes with it and asks her to show him around the place. His reaction when she tries to move on him tips her off that he's no Britannian (guess we know what the seedy Britannians come here for), and she guesses he's a pilot. She knows the smell of a pilot, you know, 'cause she's an Astragian.

Since he's a pilot, she starts to offer him a job, but a man named Vanilla jumps in to try to take him away, and they get in an argument on who gets to sign him up.

The argument is broken up by gunfire, and Crowe guesses it's aimed at him. In the ensuing firefight, Crowe hits his attacker but takes a bullet himself. Coconut and Vanilla settle on taking him back to Gotho's to rest up. Crowe figures this is a great way to learn more about the underbelly of Shinjuku - if he doesn't bleed out first.

Looks like Relena decided to disregard Lelouche's and Shirley's advice and pay Shinjuku a visit.

She barely gets in when Heero jumps her. He's just passing through, it seems - he tells her not to touch him, to get out of his way, and then runs off.

Relena thought his eyes weren't a normal Japanese person's eyes, but a fighter's eyes. Several seconds too late, she introduces herself: "I-I'm Relena Dorian. Who are you?"

Coconut and Vanilla manage to drag Crowe back to Gotho's warehouse, where Coconut tries first to get Crowe's shirt off (to "show him your wounds") and then to extract "something in return" for her help. Brushing her off, Crowe introduces himself, and the lot give their names in turn. Gotho's just on his way out, actually, but Crowe's free to make himself at home.

After he leaves, Coconut and Vanilla gossip. Seems like Gotho's been meeting with a young man, and a VOTOMS pilot at that. Maybe the guy the Enforcers are after. Crowe doesn't understand what's going on, but whatever, Coconut takes another shot and invites him to go watch Battling!

Battling is an extremely Engrish word... basically, it only works as a proper noun in Japanese because it's Engrish and doesn't translate straight across, but I have a feeling VOTOMS translations have already used it so I'll grit my teeth. It's just giant robot wrestling. AT pilots who are out of a job because the Astragius wars don't matter anymore use their skills to fight each other in front of an audience for pay.

Gotho's just gotten Chirico into the Battling ring, and his first battle is due today. He speaks at great length about how lucky Chirico, pursued by the Enforcers, was to stumble into Gotho and land not only a hiding place, but a living wage. Chirico remains perfectly silent throughout.

Chirico's debut fight will be with the popular "Red Devil Eleven," a fighter who operates a Knightmare Frame and not an AT. His deal is being really really angry at Britannia and taking it out in the arena. (But of course, it's fake, because this is the Robot Wrestling Federation.) He's pretty good, to be sure. And the fight will be strictly melee, no guns.

Hey, guess who's snooping. It's that Conin guy! If you forgot, he was Chirico's old commander that got him into the weird operation on Rid and then tried to take him out after he discovered a woman in a box.

Duo and Heero meet up in an abandoned warehouse somwhere in Shinjuku. Duo tries to get Heero to treat him as a teammate, but Heero is only here so long as his and Duo's missions point the same way. The mission is to free Area 11, but that's a little out there. Duo will still call it a win if they can yank Britannia's chain some.

They get to talking about "that guy" who is probably Crowe. Duo figures it can't hurt to leave him alone, as much because he could be useful as anything. Heero wants to kill him.

And Duo's got one more piece of exposition. Rumors have it that the Enforcers Britannia is using to control the ghettos - the Astragians, the corrupt ones? - are secretly in cahoots with the PMC Trust, which includes the Red Shoulder squad that broke off from the Gilgamesh forces.

Chapter 5: Battling
(Area 11 route)

As Chirico wheels his Scopedog into the ring, Coconut, Vanilla, and Crowe join Gotho in the audience, where Gotho reveals that Chirico is his new Battling cash cow. Vanilla shoots back that he's got his own winner, but there's no way he can pay Crowe's price - of course, 980,000 G.

The opponent shows up - but it's not the Red Devil. And it's not one opponent!

Looks like they're Conin's flunkies. He just blew into Shinjuku and took over the Battling circuit, and he's decided to "test" the newcomer Battler.

Looks like the crowd is with him, two on one or not.

Despite his manager's objections, Chirico steps up to the plate. Of course, he really wants to get some answers out of Conin.

No SR Point yet, just Chirico vs. the two ATs.

I'm not going to introduce Chirico quite yet, by the way...

mostly because, as Gotho said, he's equipped for a robobrawl.

He can outfight both his enemies, though, with a 1-2 range punch against their range 1 fists.

(I discovered a woman on the asteroid Rid that they called a protobody. That day, my fate changed its course.)
(Maybe Lt. Conin knows what the goal of that operation was. I have to ask him...)

No counterattacks.

Let them just go.

Even when they do get attacks in, they have trouble against a Focused Chirico.

Not as good a strike, but oh well.

One down.

The other down on the player phase, without a scratch on Chirico's AT.

Conin curses as the crowd goes wild.

He's about to send out something else, but the Red Devil appears instead.

The Red Devil is a girl, and she's sick of waiting for Conin's games to end. The crowd's cheering shows they agree - enough with the poo poo, let's see some real fighting. The Devil herself intends to show the whole ghetto what a real Japanese can do. Looks like her gimmick isn't an act.

Unfortunately, there's nothing left for me to do.

She's a bit better than the ATs, but by disappointingly not much.

I started Battling to practice my KMF piloting, but I didn't think I'd fight someone this strong.
If I can't beat him, I can't beat the Britannian Union! I've got to try!

At least she tries to do a combo. ATs just punch.

After one more exchange of blows...

A bunch of ATs show up under Conin's orders to break up this show.

All objections are met with gunfire. Remember how we're unarmed?

Crowe grabs his Brasta and comes to the rescue, and Gotho follows up with weapons for Chirico and the Devil.

She's pretty fired up now.

And surprisingly, so is Chirico. (I don't know how I keep doing that.)

Still no SR Point.

Scopedog (Chirico Cuvie)
Skills
???
Precise Attack
Prevail L9
Spirits
Focus
Sense
Traits
-
Weapons
Arm Punch (6 ammo)
Heavy Machine Gun (16 ammo)
Assault Combat (4 Ammo, 120 Will, ignores size)
Ace Bonus: At 130+ Will, all weapons gain +300 attack.

Not much to say about Chirico that I didn't before. He has a majestic Skill stat and regular soldier-style Spirits. His ??? skill and maxed Prevail make him best when damaged, but good luck getting him damaged in the first place.

ATs are Small units, so they have trouble damaging enemies with weapons other than their best. Chirico calls for Attack Again and Ignore Size. I'm an eternal fan of Chain Actions, but you could argue for Ammo Save. The Offensive Support/Combo Attack (with Precise Attack) combo would be good instead if Chirico could use a flying robot.

Glasgow (Karen Koutsuki)
Skills
Prevail L6
Resolve
Will+ (Hit)
Spirits
Guts
Invincible
Strike
Traits
-
Weapons
Slash Harken (4 ammo)
Assault Rifle (16 ammo)
Heavy Cannon (4 ammo)
Hit (15 EN)
Ace Bonus: 1.1x damage using Melee weapons.

The Glasgow is not a good machine for Karen, a super robot pilot in a series of chronically real machines who does heavy damage by charging in with melee attacks. She will get a custom machine in the near future that will make her a god of smashing things. Even then, she will consistently make you feel like she should really be in Mazinger.

(It doesn't help that the Glasgow is not a good machine in general. It is lovely at everything.)

Like ATs, Knightmares are Small units, so they dodge and hit well but have trouble doing damage outside of the Ignore Size skill or weapon property.

If you haven't seen Geass, here is a factoid about this character: she's half Britannian. In Britannian society, she goes by her official Britannian name of Kallen Stadtfelt, but uses her "real" Japanese name when fighting for the resistance.

Karen is going to need EN Save and probably wouldn't mind Break Will Limit. Ignore Size is good, but she won't need it as terribly as Chirico. And while I recommend Chain Actions for everybody and their cat, her ability to start the battle at 115 Will makes it especially delicious.

The enemies are spread out and Chirico is spent.

Not much can be done about Karen's defenses other than Prevail and prayer, but she has some rounds of Strike to make sure she hits at least.

And if they are kind enough to move into her melee range, it might not matter.

Worryingly, Crowe hits the enemies much better considering he's in a Gundam-sized machine against car-sized ATs. Note how pre-Focus it is.

This much noise is going to attract those Enforcers patrolling the block.
If those Colony Gundams are in the neighborhood, they won't be able to resist sticking their noses in.
Fingers crossed...

Turn over.

Chirico takes out two, one from full HP.

Karen trades blows with another.

The others apparently go straight for Chirico, not stopping to attack.

Chirico's assault combo.

As soon as he takes out that AT, the Enforcers arrive.

Joining a squadron of patrol tanks and helicopters is that rat Conin in his own Scopedog.

But just as Crowe suspected, Duo and Heero arrive, evening the odds.

Win condition: destroy Conin. SR Point: Take out all enemies within two turns of now, saving Conin for last.

According to the game, Conin's ATs are in league with the Enforcers. Go figure. Luckily, I have the majority of my units bright and ready this turn - the problem will be positioning them to generate counterattacks against all these vehicles.

The use of the Invincible spirit is different between Real and Super robots. A robot that expects to get hit on just about every attack uses Invincible before it takes on a hard-hitting enemy. On the other hand, one that can dodge and expects to absorb just a few attacks can pre-cast it, at which point the Spirit will serve as a hedge against one unlucky hit, and even stick for as many turns as it takes for that hit to land.

I'm being safe here in a few ways: that the vehicles don't have (P) attacks, that they don't have amazing range, and mostly, that Conin will pursue Chirico. (The vehicles do have (P) attacks with reasonable range, but that's okay.)

Maybe you're just trying to survive, but if you've gotta be Britannia's lapdog to do it, you and I are enemies!
I'm Japanese! I'm not an Eleven!

Small blessings: helicopters are not nearly as durable as giant robots.

Neither are ground cars or whatever those are.

Crowe will, hopefully, draw the Enforcers from this corner the way Karen is baiting the ones in the northwest.

The Enforcers are just Britannia's hired goons.
But if we rough them up, Britannia's own forces will come out.
And that's where our real job starts...

Been a while since we've seen these Gundams.

(I like that blast effect going on right here.)

And that's one squad of Enforcers I no longer have to worry about.

Now we'll see what they do.

Uh oh.

It's okay. Karen's buffered against being hit.

She dodges, saving her Invincible, then counters for the kill.

Chirico might finally get hit.

Oh come on Chirico.

So much for the "provide them targets" plan. They're ignoring my bait completely.

Not that this is bad for me... especially when they go for Chirico.

Really, it's not even a trap so much as a "tanks can't beat robots."

Karen is forced to spend her get-out-of-attack-free card.

Luckily, Chirico draws some of the fire from her...

and gets knocked down to death HP. Death for everyone else, that is...

I assume these machines work well at controlling people, but a single KMF can just cut through them.

Some stupid tank tries to ignore me. Dick.

Finally, Conin attacks Chirico. Unfortunately, right now all the luck is on Chirico's side.

Sergeant Major Chirico! You followed me all the way here?
So it is you, Lieutenant Conin. Tell me, what was behind that operation?
There's no need for you to know. You're going to die right here!

Fortunately, Chirico doesn't take him out. Yet.

Hi, Chirico! I've placed Crowe's stats alongside him for comparison. Any stat glowing green means that stat is being buffed by some ability.

The total effect of the ??? skill, which I'm so glad I got to show off, is to increase Chirico's Accuracy and Evasion stats by 30 points, and all his others by 20. Add that to Prevail L9 firing at full power and raising his accuracy, evasion, defense, and damage output, not to mention his Ace Bonus, and we've got a monster on our hands.

I'll hand Heero the last chopper. He could use a little extra xp.

There's really only one thing to make a movie of in this chapter and finishing Conin is a good time to show it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGNQLUBm3bo

Conin's defeat spells an SR Point.

Conin gasps that Chirico should have died back then, and then buys the farm.

Gotho yells at Crowe and Chirico to flee the scene. Crowe advises the Gundams and Karen to do the same.

As Chirico goes, he wonders what the hell is going on...

Gotho leads everybody to another warehouse outside the Enforcers' radar where he stores his weapons, and will now be storing the Gundams for a bit.

Karen has joined too, and she's brought along some friends to watch her back. She's understandably a little skittish about crashing with a gang they didn't know existed just a little while ago, and Duo knows just how she feels, but the alternative involves Enforcers and the Britannian army.

Introductions all around between the Gundam pilots, the Battling staff, and the Ohgi rebels - leader Kaname Ohgi and treasurer Shinichiro Tamaki. More small-worldness: Tamaki has actually been buying some of the group's weapons from Vanilla, who didn't realize Tamaki was fighting with that Red Devil.

The totality of Chirico's introduction: "Chirico Cuvie."

Gotho, Coconut, and Vanilla go back to arguing about who gets to manage Chirico in the ring. Chirico cares so much he closes his eyes, falls silent, and looks very much like he's asleep. Having both this guy and Heero in our team is going to be fun.

Duo explains his mission to the resistance to fight the Britannians. He's under no illusions that he can win with just Deathscythe, but he definitely intends to throw them off balance. If the surface-side balance of power breaks down, the Colonies can move to take advantage of it. For now, that puts him in Heero's boat, and the resistance's too. He agrees to help out Ohgi's group.

Heero: "Fine. Whatever."

Fighting Britannia means fighting the Enforcers, so Gotho's willing to sell Ohgi's team some firepower. And they can have Chirico as a bonus. No need to ask Chirico himself. According to Gotho, AT pilots can only live on the battlefield anyway.

Chirico opens his eyes, which they guess means "yes." He speaks up to add that if they'll oppose the Enforcers, he's in.

Crowe has to be in, too. He's got a price on his head and nowhere else to go. But first, he demands pay, to the tune of 980,000 G. That's clearly ridiculous to ask of the tiny resistance, so Crowe goes down to 50 G per job - just a quarter of what he got out of Ohtsuka. He's got a bone to pick with the Union anyway. What's that mean? "Ancient history. I almost have to thank 'em for it," he answers cryptically.

The next day, the Ashford kids are talking about how the scuffle in Shinjuku made the news.

Relena arrives, and Shirley asks where she went after the meeting yesterday. Relena lies that she was just doing something for her dad. "Oh, good. I thought Lulu put some crazy idea in your head to go to the ghetto." Yep. Yeah. Anyway, she's heard the news too, and she's wondering if the weird boy she crossed paths with and the skirmish in the ghetto are connected.

Lelouch, who puts crazy ideas into peoples' heads, continues to do so with a treatise on how the world is about to change in various ways. But what he doesn't say out loud to Relena is, can he do something to change it the way he wants it to be for Nunnally? "I need power. Enough power to change the world."

Chirico's Scopedog and Karen's Glasgow have joined. See you next chapter, in which Area 11 really heats up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

And here goes my favorite of the initial route splits.

Kallen (which she goes by in both her Brittanian and Japanese guises, by the by - she simply changes her last name between Stadfelt and Kozuki) starts off pretty well flummoxed by her sub-par mech, but her upgrade is a thing of pure beauty - and unlike Chirico, she's usually pretty rediculous even at full health. Her Glasgow is still worth upgrading though - anything you put on it gets transferred to Kallen's upgrade, like in most SRWs.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Some romanization notes:
The official name for Red Devil Eleven is "Kallen". Yeah I don't get it either. The official name for student council president is Milly, only 5 characters. Also the girl from VOTOMs is just Cocona, there's no "T" sound to make her Coconut, I think her name is related chocolate to reflect how she and Vanilla constantly butt heads. Finally Louise's last name is officially Harvey.

Anyways you mentioned it was nice they consolidated Relena, Saji, and Louise into one location but they also did the same thing with VOTOMs. The bit there with the battling is based on one of the early episodes of VOTOMs, however in VOTOMS the first arc took place in the city of Woodo which was described by the awesomely hammy narrator as "Astragia's Gomorrah".

Oh and you mentioned Tanks being unable to beat Robots, but actually it's a real possibility in VOTOMs. The mecha from VOTOMs are far from invincible, in the anime they're greatest virtue is their mobility because a clean tank hit can take out of a Scopedog. Naturally this won't stop AT bosses from withstanding obscene amounts of punishment in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

And here goes my favorite of the initial route splits.

Kallen (which she goes by in both her Brittanian and Japanese guises, by the by - she simply changes her last name between Stadfelt and Kozuki) starts off pretty well flummoxed by her sub-par mech, but her upgrade is a thing of pure beauty - and unlike Chirico, she's usually pretty rediculous even at full health. Her Glasgow is still worth upgrading though - anything you put on it gets transferred to Kallen's upgrade, like in most SRWs.

If I recall, the English version of the show actually uses Karen for the Brittanian version and Kallen for the Japanese version. Which sort of makes sense because "Karen " is more of a Brittanianish name than Kallen. (.. well, as reasonable a one as you can get when there are characters named Rivalz and Lelouch.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, at least Lelouch is sort of a real name. There's no defense for Rivalz.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Enforcer's cars and choppers are decent at taking out ATs in the show... but that's also because a couple guys with explosives also are. Hell, at one point (which we already passed so it isn't a spoiler) a bunch of bikers take on Chirico and almost down him.

Nice touch that the Enforcers are treated as Britannian units even during battle animations too (unless Kallen's line is a generic one she does no matter who she's fighting) overall this split looks like a very nice crossover. It is nice to have a Real route that isn't stuffed with Gundams for once.

I've seen it brought up a number of times that Chirico's special skill is too difficult to activate to make him as good as your other gamebreakers, has anyone tried increasing his HP instead of his mobility to fix that or would that just make him a bad dodgetank instead?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I never watched Code Geass, but does Lelouch always just monologue to himself about changing the world for his sister.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I never watched Code Geass, but does Lelouch always just monologue to himself about changing the world for his sister.
Sometimes, but it's usually shorter than that and is somewhat context appropriate instead of just randomly thinking about it during a student council meeting.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

There's just something so silly about giant robots doing non overproduced punching. :allears:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The GIG posted:

There's just something so silly about giant robots doing non overproduced punching. :allears:

The best part is that it is literally a part of the Scopedog's design specifications. You can see the ejected shell casings after a punch from the charge used to make the hit more powerful.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

If I recall, the English version of the show actually uses Karen for the Brittanian version and Kallen for the Japanese version. Which sort of makes sense because "Karen " is more of a Brittanianish name than Kallen. (.. well, as reasonable a one as you can get when there are characters named Rivalz and Lelouch.)

Nope, in the dub at least, she's always Kallen.

Endorph posted:

To be fair, at least Lelouch is sort of a real name. There's no defense for Rivalz.

Lelouche is sort of a real name? And yeah, when I first saw the show, I thought Rivalz just had to be a nickname, but nope, he just has weird parents I guess.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Oh, how do I love the Area 11 route splits.

They always focus on Code Geass and Votoms which are among my favorite series in the game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

"Karen" is actually a name you can construct in Japanese, and "Kallen" isn't. Well, it's one of those weird translation things, but you know what I mean.

Omnicrom posted:

Also the girl from VOTOMs is just Cocona, there's no "T" sound to make her Coconut, I think her name is related chocolate to reflect how she and Vanilla constantly butt heads.

I thought Cocona was supposed to be Coconut assuming it was part of a theme with Vanilla.

TK-31 posted:

I've seen it brought up a number of times that Chirico's special skill is too difficult to activate to make him as good as your other gamebreakers, has anyone tried increasing his HP instead of his mobility to fix that or would that just make him a bad dodgetank instead?

The main backdoor to the ??? skill involves a pilot having like 5000 Skill, casting Mercy, and catching Chirico in a friendly-fire MAP attack so that the Spirit leaves him at 10 HP. I only know of a couple units in the game with all those ingredients and it takes some seriously dedicated will ramping, plus you want to be pumping Chirico's skill stat too and it's one of the highest in the game to begin with so it's a huge amount of PP for someone to spend on being a Chirico enabler.

I've always just used Chirico out of the box, because he's pretty good even undamaged, and because of Prevail any amount of damage makes him even better even if he never gets down to very low.

On the other hand, I think he could have used one of those Ace Bonuses/FUBs that lets him survive any hit with at least 10 HP. That'd be funny.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Chirico doesn't need skill though, all he uses it for is Critical Hits, and at 10% health he gets +92% Crit Rate (+20 Skill from ??? and +72% from Prevail 9).

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Again, this FAQ is a good cheat sheet for english names. It won't tell you who's who, but it's easy enough to guess, and a quick lookup could save you a lot of translation arguments. Unless trying to figure out insane anime romanization logic is fun for you, of course.

TwoPair posted:

Lelouche is sort of a real name?

A French last name, at least.

Omnicrom posted:

Finally Louise's last name is officially Harvey.

Are you sure? There's a fairly minor 00 character (who gets a lot more spotlight later in this game than I recall him ever having in the show) called Laguna Harvey, but he's not related to her as far as I can tell. Googling "Louise Harvey Gundam" turns up more hits about him than about her, too.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Lelouch did that mostly for a character exposition dump. Lelouch does monologue about changing the world, but if I recall he does it while wandering by the Shinjuku slums. I think they alose added in his motivation around his sister as if I recall they go into that a little later in the show.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
Ah yes, the Area 11 route. From a plot standpoint, it's wonderful, but from a gameplay standpoint it's kind of awful. The other route splits pile on the hard-hitting units like Mazinger, Getter Robo, Exia, Godmars, and so on and so forth.

In comparison, we now have the entirety of our offense for this route. I'm not kidding. Crowe, Duo, Kallen and Chirico are the ENTIRETY of the Area 11 route's major damage dealing. Everyone else is either a support pilot, or is saddled with really miserable post-movement weapons, which severely hampers their ability to kill things. Eventually we get some more big heavy things (with a definite emphasis on BIG and HEAVY), but for the most part, the mid-heavyweight Gundams and low-powered KMFs are what we'll be working with. Which means that our opposition is going to consist mainly of Britannian Frames and the Enforcers' various shitboxes. And DAMONs of course, which will be REALLY fun with this group.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Duo and Crowe are decent enough at damage that it's not too bad, though upgrading the two of them definitely helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Indeed, and I didn't find the DAMONs here to be too difficult yet.

Now, the ones in the Super-path of Zexis' first route split can gently caress right off. :argh:

And I found Heero pretty useful too - I usually just accel him into a group of enemies (casting focus for anything more troublesome than the Enforcer's rolling coffins, maybe putting him in bird mode if I really want him deep) and let him rip poo poo up on the enemy phase or spend the entire rest of the stage sniping poo poo with his buster rifle.

• Locked thread