Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Guys, guys. Click this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoAUK5KOwRs

edit: that video was not nearly as exciting as I had hoped. In other news, the new Cattle Decapitation is actually really good, I never thought I'd like the grindier side of death metal but here we are.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Trees and Squids posted:

Guys, guys. Click this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoAUK5KOwRs

edit: that video was not nearly as exciting as I had hoped. In other news, the new Cattle Decapitation is actually really good, I never thought I'd like the grindier side of death metal but here we are.

I'm really disappointed that Jari's computer doesn't look like the Large Hadron Collider after all his talk the past couple years.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Golem II posted:

Havok and now Misery Index have just dropped off. Good thing I didn't get tickets to this.

jesus loving christ what happened to this tour?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

OK so Topshop (a fashion store aimed at young women in the UK, for non-Brits) sells a Slayer shirt. Fine. Whatever. They've been selling Iron Maiden/Motörhead etc. t-shirts for many years, and metalheads roll their eyes but generally get on with life.

But this time they've managed to sell a shirt which has - alongside the Slayer logo - the Totenkopf insignia used by the 3rd SS Division. Hahahaha good loving job, Topshop buyers.

We handle the top shop franchise in a bunch of countries outside the UK I should check if they ordered these :v: I'd imagine they'd tell us to pull them anyway if they've done it themselves.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/07/04/the-shockwave-festival-has-been-canceled/

The entire Shockwave Tour is canceled now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lich King just posted this:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Lich King just posted this:

Ouch but :lol:

I wonder where it all went wrong? Not like I was gonna go, being a UK resident, but that lineup had some sweet bands on it. I would've like to see Voivod, Cattle Decap, Havok and Revocation (the best bands on the bill from memory, not fussed about FF or any of the others really). Seemed like a solid lineup. Maybe there wasn't enough presale to pay the bands and they started dropping off, I don't know?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

nomapple posted:

I wonder where it all went wrong? Not like I was gonna go, being a UK resident, but that lineup had some sweet bands on it. I would've like to see Voivod, Cattle Decap, Havok and Revocation (the best bands on the bill from memory, not fussed about FF or any of the others really). Seemed like a solid lineup. Maybe there wasn't enough presale to pay the bands and they started dropping off, I don't know?

Not much cross-appeal between Fear Factory, Voivod, and CD/MI. Fear Factory have been a bit of a joke when half the band gets kicked out/leaves after every album (well, just the last few).

The other problem is that the two headliners are too different from the other bands. People who really like FF and that style don't have a lot else to like on the bill, people who really like Voivod get one rethrash band (Havok) and a crappy tech-death band (Revocation). You would sell more tickets if it was just Fear Factory or Voivod and someone similar to them. The lineup below the top two bands is basically the bands that nobody else wanted on the summer package tours that were announced earlier than this.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And thus the tour ended: not with a bang, but with a sloppy wet beer fart.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Not much cross-appeal between Fear Factory, Voivod, and CD/MI. Fear Factory have been a bit of a joke when half the band gets kicked out/leaves after every album (well, just the last few).

The other problem is that the two headliners are too different from the other bands. People who really like FF and that style don't have a lot else to like on the bill, people who really like Voivod get one rethrash band (Havok) and a crappy tech-death band (Revocation). You would sell more tickets if it was just Fear Factory or Voivod and someone similar to them. The lineup below the top two bands is basically the bands that nobody else wanted on the summer package tours that were announced earlier than this.

Hmm yeah. The lineup did look a bit thinly spread for my taste, and The Browning seem really out of place on that bill. From what I've heard, Fear Factory are pretty bad live at the moment, so I guess it would only be the diehard fans interested in seeing them.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

henpod posted:

Goddamn, this is about as Finnish as it gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q6OlhSmaAA

I always found it funny, in an endearing way, that Finnish Metal bands would frequently film videos about dudes in fur hats hanging out near lakes/swamps/forests. It's not surprising to see members of Korpiklaani dance in a forest while singing praise to alcoholic beverages but stuff like Kalmah's "12 Gauge" is just silly (and hilarious).

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I don't listen to too much metal but I'm kinda partial to Agalloch; they're gonna be in town in a few weeks, would they be worth catching? I've heard mixed things about their live show.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I don't listen to too much metal but I'm kinda partial to Agalloch; they're gonna be in town in a few weeks, would they be worth catching? I've heard mixed things about their live show.

I've never seen them live but the drummer can't keep rhythm on a recording already

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've never seen them live but the drummer can't keep rhythm on a recording already
I'll honestly take that over Van Williams drumming with Andy Sneap production

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
I'd say Agalloch is definetly worth catching live, but some people disagree so eh...
You could always watch this i guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SORBdHXvAcU

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Oh FFS my point was not "metal shirt with dodgy imagery omg", my point was "huge UK fashion chain, part of multi-billion retail empire, outlets in every British town, sells item with nazi insignia on it, that's got to be a bad PR move, right?" and I don't get why anyone couldn't understand that.

Chill out man, I wasn't aiming any hostility at you. I'm just fed up with people being so loving offended about everything. Slayer has been using nazi imagery since I can remember. poo poo, I've had a shirt for years with a nazi looking soldier in a gasmask with an iron cross on his helmet and its framed with loving MP40s.

If I owned such a multi-billion retail empire, I might just start printing shirts with late term aborted babies being eaten by crack junkies dressed as priests with swastikas tattooed on their foreheads and a slice of homoeroticism to boot, all out of spite.

Yes, that's what I'd do.

goatse.cx haver fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 5, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I saw them twice last year and they were amazing both times. But, then again, they're one of my favorite bands anyway so I might be biased.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Nuclear Fetus posted:

If I owned such a multi-billion retail empire, I might just start printing shirts with late term aborted babies being eaten by crack junkies dressed as priests with swastikas tattooed on their foreheads and a slice of homoeroticism to boot, all out of spite.

Yes, that's what I'd do.

I'm pretty sure Cannibal Corpse already has a merchandising guy.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Great Horny Toads! posted:

One time, my friend was wearing his Cannibal Corpse shirt on the bus. A kid, who was like 5, said, "LOOK MOMMY! That man is DYING on that man's shirt!" Mommy was not amused, and covered her little muffin's eyes.

When Butchered At Birth came out, CC had a shirt out with some kind of hosed up fetus on it. A kid I hung out with had it and he looked like a maniac. (In the early 90s not many suburban kids gave themselves 6 tattoos with pins and pen ink). One day we were in the center of town before school and there was a pro-life rally going on (all of 5-6 people) and they saw this kid's shirt, called him over. They were taking pictures with him one by one, SO proud, and my friend is laughing his rear end off in every picture making metal faces, throwing the horns and poo poo. They had no idea.

MrBling posted:

Its because people are kinda stupid.

I think it's more that nobody gives a poo poo

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Hey dudes, 3 whole dollars free at Amazon Mp3 Shop.

I'm a full album kind of guy but figured some of you all might be looking to snag a song or two for free. I used it to pick up the entire new Gojira CD for 2 dollars.

e: I see it is an "Amazon Local Chicago" thing, and is apparently only valid in the United States, so I have no idea if it will work from ip addresses outside the city? Me no understand computers good.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 5, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Metal shirts use offensive images.

More at 6.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/eW5RL.jpg:nws:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The t-shirt is not official by Slayer, it is not "a metal t-shirt" and it is not band merch. It's a print by sub-label of a high street fashion label who print music and pop culture brands onto t-shirts to sell to teenage girls via an in-house deal with Topshop (who's owner, Philip Green, just happens to be Jewish).

I know we're all bitter, jaded and cynical trve metal warriors :rolleyes:... or alternatively immature, shallow and affecting a lassez faire attitude, but the reality of the matter is that that's a highly offensive print that happens to also contain the logo of an extremely well known metal band who've had to fight off contentions of nazi fandom in the past. And it's been done in the name of making money from teenagers who have most likely absolutely no idea who the band are or what they sound like.

If you can't see why that's a valid item for discussion (at the least), you're either brain dead or legitimately a psychopath.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

The Clit Avoider posted:

The t-shirt is not official by Slayer, it is not "a metal t-shirt" and it is not band merch. It's a print by sub-label of a high street fashion label who print music and pop culture brands onto t-shirts to sell to teenage girls via an in-house deal with Topshop (who's owner, Philip Green, just happens to be Jewish).

I know we're all bitter, jaded and cynical trve metal warriors :rolleyes:... or alternatively immature, shallow and affecting a lassez faire attitude, but the reality of the matter is that that's a highly offensive print that happens to also contain the logo of an extremely well known metal band who've had to fight off contentions of nazi fandom in the past. And it's been done in the name of making money from teenagers who have most likely absolutely no idea who the band are or what they sound like.

If you can't see why that's a valid item for discussion (at the least), you're either brain dead or legitimately a psychopath.

Capitalism bro. Don't hate.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

All of this.

Also it looks like I can go to Southern Cross Fest now (!!!) so which is the better Hobbs' Angel of Death album? Gospel of the Horns have really grown on me as well. I got A Call to Arms and I really dig it. I will have to investigate further.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Self-titled, probably even about 80% of the people who like HAOD don't realise there's a second album.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

First of all, how is the Slayer logo accompanied by a Totenkopf any more offensive than Slayer's own 'Slayer eagle' logo which intentionally echoes the Nazi eagle? I am sorry but you make it sound like somebody is victimizing a band that reveled in the controversy generated by 'Angel of Death' and used 'SS' logos in their live performances to fan the flames. No, I do not have anything against Slayer but I do not see anything wrong with that t-shirt. As far as making money by appealing to teenagers, you just summarized the modus operandi of all commercial music.

As far as your closing comment goes, an ad hominem is not an argument. If you really want a serious discussion, why are you suggesting that people who disagree with you are mentally challenged?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Kryopsis posted:

As far as making money by appealing to teenagers, you just summarized the modus operandi of all commercial music.

More like describing the entire marketing business. 13-25 isn't THE prime audience to market towards because they're smart, savvy shoppers. They'd buy a bag of their own hair if people told them it was cool and edgy.

Besides anyone spending that much on that shirt, without even knowing about the band, deserves to be stared at everywhere they go. If stupid can't be painful, public self shaming is a good second prize.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Kryopsis posted:

If you really want a serious discussion, why are you suggesting that people who disagree with you are mentally challenged?

Check the OP.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

The Clit Avoider posted:

Slayer might be being exploited by having unlicensed merch being sold, but the Totenkopf is certainly not sullying their good name, especially when it comes to Jeff Hanneman:

And introducing the "Jeff Hanneman Series" pearl fretboard inlays:

After the 12th fret, they switch from totenkopf to two side-by-side sig runes, or SS bolts. So it's not insulting to Slayer to associate them with Nazi iconography when they do it themselves all the time.

Having said that, a giant swastika with "slayer" written across it might be crossing some sort of line

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Looking at this as if the objection is "oh, poor maligned Slayer" seems to be missing the point. I don't get why we can't all go "Yeah, it's hosed up that someone who is employed to sell merchandise to teenagers decided that Nazi imagery would be a good way to do that" and move on.

Why does it always have to turn into some childish "Well *I'm* not offended therefore it is wrong for anyone else to be" thing? Congrats, guys, you're super openminded because you don't have a problem with Nazi imagery, give yourselves a pat on the back but please don't post about it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
To get something more amiable to the table here:

A lot of pages back some people were gushing about the debut album of Jess and The Ancient Ones coming out soon.

Well, the album's been out for a while now, and JESUS CHRIST GUYS it's so many kinds of amazing. This poo poo is like, if 70's Black Sabbath and Deep Purple had a baby girl who grew up to be totally loving awesome.

Okay, yeah, I'm getting carried away here, but it's just because I'm just listening to this song while I type and hhnnnNNNNGGSDGF.

http://youtu.be/ofI2heJhcOc

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Female-fronted occult rock stuff is so hip, but most of the bands sound so ridiculously cool.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Yeah that whole 70's influenced occult-rock thing can be pretty cool. I really like Occultation, mainly because the riffs are buried under a shitload of reverb courtesy of the same dude that plays guitar in Negative Plane.

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
I can't figure out where to put these loving guys they're like crust/thrash/punk/sludge/death/banana/wheelchair/jumpingjacks I give up. They're playing in a couple days and I'm stoked.

Nux Vomica - Room Silencer

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
That girl from Jess And The Ancient Ones can't really sing for poo poo but goddamn, she unironically goes for it so she's ok by me. Also one of the guitar players is Anti Bowman from Demilich, and he deserves support and love in all things. Cool band and a neat record.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Have any Europeans checked out Vintersorg's Orkan yet? It's supposed to be out in Europe for a week now. I am curious if the other songs on the albums are as good as the title song. If yes, I will buy this album when it comes out in North America. Judging by some early reviews, it should be comparable to 'Cosmic Genesis'.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
I'm listening to the new Bosse-de-Nage, soon out on Profound Lore. It's somewhat post-black but very, very engaging. As a whole, just wonderful. I'm still on my first listen but goddamn, this album is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VawC2gpjy9k

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 6, 2012

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Kryopsis posted:

Have any Europeans checked out Vintersorg's Orkan yet?

I haven't checked it out but thanks for reminding me that this band still exists...

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

nomapple posted:

All of this.

Also it looks like I can go to Southern Cross Fest now (!!!) so which is the better Hobbs' Angel of Death album? Gospel of the Horns have really grown on me as well. I got A Call to Arms and I really dig it. I will have to investigate further.

Southern Cross Fest is on the same night as A Forest of Stars / Virophage (Frank from Fen's death metal band) / Wodensthrone, and I'm going to that instead. Gah silly gig scheduling - I'd've gone to both if I could have. I love love love A Forest of Stars live, so looking forward to that.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Southern Cross Fest is on the same night as A Forest of Stars / Virophage (Frank from Fen's death metal band) / Wodensthrone, and I'm going to that instead. Gah silly gig scheduling - I'd've gone to both if I could have. I love love love A Forest of Stars live, so looking forward to that.

I haven't listened to A Forest of Stars (yet!) but I love love love D666 and would like to catch Gospel of the Horns too, without having to go see Sodom in November! Silly gig scheduling indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Monkeytime posted:

I'm listening to the new Bosse-de-Nage, soon out on Profound Lore. It's somewhat post-black but very, very engaging. As a whole, just wonderful. I'm still on my first listen but goddamn, this album is great.

I haven't listened to the new one yet, but I've heard parts of the first two and it's definitely better than I'd have expected from a black metal band that looks like this:

I'm definitely ok with post-black metal as a concept, but the execution is often either boring or just irritating (I'm thinking of Botanist and Liturgy). This is one of the few things that could be considered post-black that I've really enjoyed (along with Oranssi Pazuzu, Amesoeurs, and Wold).