Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I'm getting similar issues with Firefox and Flash. I switched to an old flash player version to test things out for a little bit (10.3) and everything in Firefox went back to being silky smooth and crash-free.

Upgrading to the latest version causes the weird graphical issues and occasional crashes. I also tried turning off protected mode and got similar results to Goober Peas (crashes still, but not as often :v:).

Not running beta drivers on either my laptop or desktop, getting the same issues on both machines with latest flash + firefox.

AwfulVision's articles kills my browser in almost no time right now, for reference.

*edit*

Actually, it's kind of weird because I wouldn't blame all flash in general, it's just embedded youtube videos that are wrecking my poo poo. I disabled imbedded video in forums settings for now.

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Alereon posted:

You definitely did install the latest Beta drivers from your video adapter manufacturer, right? You're not using the OEM-provided drivers and you didn't just do the Windows "Update drivers" thing?

I'm running v301.42 with my NVidia GT540M -- it's the most current release drivers. I shy away from beta versions as I usually find myself on the wrong side of Murphy's law.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Aquila and I seem to be having the same problem, I wasn't closing every open FF just the one with the video and it fixes it for a little while.

Is there an actual add on for youtube to default or auto to the highest quality that works? Googling it brings up several but I've installed and tried them all and none of them actually do it.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Have you guys tried the HTML5 trial for YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/html5

You can join and unjoin from that page. Might help with some stuff, but only on YouTube.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Speaking of that, what's the deal with Firefox's announcement that they were going to start supporting h.264 via codecs registered with the OS? Can I turn that on yet?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah there's really no point to using html5 youtube as long as we're stuck using lovely-rear end WebM video.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I hate beating a dead horse in this thread but I too am having issues in Firefox under OSX.

I am not getting constant crashing, but I am getting what seems to be long GC Pauses that make FF crawl for seconds at a time. These pauses get to the point that I have to close and re-open because they never recover. I know the SNAPPY project is trying to improve these pauses but the current builds don't have enough improvements.

It might be the latest Flash and it's issues, but I don't get videos/ads 'tearing down the page due' to scrolling. I also run FlashBlock to prevent Flash from running without permission (see: ads). I am planning on restoring the profile to attempt fixing this problem.

Unfortunately I am loosing faith in Firefox. I've been a part of the Mozilla fan club since the Phoenix days. I love reading about SNAPPY and MemShrink but am having trouble recommending the browser to others based on 'what will come'. Yes, I know memory usage is down and I appreciate that but opening many tabs and expecting a responsive browser is currently not in the cards.

Now I have a MacBook Retina and am watching HiDPI Support (674373) falter. It looks like having sharp rendering in Firefox will be more than a few months out with no BETA to test with.

:(

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
If you want to see more upcoming improvements, use an Aurora build. The upcoming Aurora 16 version should have even more dramatic improvements in GC/CC performance.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Alereon posted:

If you want to see more upcoming improvements, use an Aurora build. The upcoming Aurora 16 version should have even more dramatic improvements in GC/CC performance.

I will do so. I miss the channels feature they dropped; switching between the release/beta/aurora channels on the 'fly' was amazing.

My feelings still stand; their OSX support is pretty abysmal. Firefox on Windows is amazing but on my Macbook it is terrible. Hardware is not the issue here.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
You're not going to get comparable performance to Windows under OSX because Apple doesn't offer comparable hardware accelerated graphics APIs, and the graphics drivers are much less mature. There's definitely plenty of room for improvement, for example I believe the default OSX theme is less mature and efficient than the current Windows theme (much less the upcoming Australis theme), but without something equivalent to Direct2D there's a performance ceiling on OSX.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Oh right, I forgot that Firefox doesn't support h.264 yet :saddowns:

I really want to stop using flash, but it's difficult right now with Firefox.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Alereon posted:

You're not going to get comparable performance to Windows under OSX because Apple doesn't offer comparable hardware accelerated graphics APIs, and the graphics drivers are much less mature. There's definitely plenty of room for improvement, for example I believe the default OSX theme is less mature and efficient than the current Windows theme (much less the upcoming Australis theme), but without something equivalent to Direct2D there's a performance ceiling on OSX.

Trust me, I understand that fact. Apple is not very helpful in those regards.

My main problems with the OSX version do stem from the lack of SNAPPY improvements. Aurora is running a ton better with it's combination of clean profile and extra SNAPPY commits. It's difficult reading about all of the massive improvements and cheering from their blog and just not experiencing it.

Firefox just does not feel anywhere close to as smooth and stable compared to Chrome and Safari. I am being as patient as possible with their progress but it's hard when you use the app all day long. The thing that holds me back from switching is Chrome's absolutely retarded handling of many tabs open, locking up during session restore and the far too minimal theme. When HiDPI support lands I will strain to resist switching though. :(

I agree with your statements on the default Firefox theme, it needs a little bit of deviation on OSX. When is Australis landing?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

jink posted:

I am not getting constant crashing, but I am getting what seems to be long GC Pauses that make FF crawl for seconds at a time. These pauses get to the point that I have to close and re-open because they never recover.

If you're getting behavior like that, you've got to have something leaking like mad.

You can use the about :jank extension to see what's causing your pauses. That should at least help confirm that it's GC pauses.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

jink posted:

I agree with your statements on the default Firefox theme, it needs a little bit of deviation on OSX. When is Australis landing?

Australis has been landing on the release channel in dribs and drabs for the past few releases. The conditional forward button is one example, though more stuff has been done on the Windows side. As for the rest of the theme, I think they're hoping to have it done by Firefox 7.

Honestly. The original mockups are 10 months old. Taking this length of time to land theme changes cracks me up.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

xamphear posted:

Speaking of that, what's the deal with Firefox's announcement that they were going to start supporting h.264 via codecs registered with the OS? Can I turn that on yet?

http://www.interoperabilitybridges.com/html5-extension-for-wmp-plugin

Microsoft made a Firefox plugin that plays mp4 video tags through Windows Media Player magic.
Requires Windows 7 as Vista or earlier don't have the "real" mpeg4 codecs on board.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Zhentar posted:

If you're getting behavior like that, you've got to have something leaking like mad.

You can use the about :jank extension to see what's causing your pauses. That should at least help confirm that it's GC pauses.

Yes, due to the nasty zombie compartment leak with Add-ons. I realize the GC pauses are not normal and they are usually caused by badly behaving Add-ons holding references that the GC cannot free. From what I read Firefox doesn't leak all that much; the Add-ons do (inadvertently).

Due to these problems I disabled everything but a handful including Flashblock, Amazon wishlist, Memchaser, Delicious, ShareMeNot and Wallflower.

It looks like Aurora (FF15) has the Add-on zombie compartment fix. Maybe I can enable Firebug again!

Memchaser add-on is reporting extremely low GC times; this is a major improvement. I will use about :jank if I ever see Aurora slowing down like FF13 does.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Australis has been landing on the release channel in dribs and drabs for the past few releases. The conditional forward button is one example, though more stuff has been done on the Windows side. As for the rest of the theme, I think they're hoping to have it done by Firefox 7.

Honestly. The original mockups are 10 months old. Taking this length of time to land theme changes cracks me up.

Oh holy crap. This is Australis?! I thought it was more than that; the revamped tabs to mimic Chrome a bit more (sorry but it's true). I have no clue what is taking so long to implement; these changes are what people look for when deciding to stick with an application/upgrade.

http://people.mozilla.com/~shorlander/ux-presentation/ux-presentation.html

[EDIT]: A newer presentation of Australis from April 2012 with it's multi device prowess: http://www.slideshare.net/madhava/ux-overview-fxworkweekapril2012

jink fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 5, 2012

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Firebug should have stopped leaking badly with 1.9, as far as I know. 1.10 definitely shouldn't be leaking much.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Zhentar posted:

Firebug should have stopped leaking badly with 1.9, as far as I know. 1.10 definitely shouldn't be leaking much.

Good to know! I stopped enabling it quite some time ago due to the performance problems.

It looks like the built in inspector will be amazing once they get element dimension UI in place. That and instant toggling of CSS styles is what I use 90% of my time in Firebug.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is Aurora stable enough to be used as a permanent browser or should I stick with Release Channel builds?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
^^^ Aurora is usually pretty reliable. It's been many months since I last ran into a significant issue with it.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They aren't just minor theme changes though. They're trying to make significant UI changes in the process. People get pretty pissy when you make any UI changes (see the previous page for evidence). You want to take a long time iterating and refining before you push things out so you don't make a lot of people angry tweaking after the initial release.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zhentar posted:

^^^ Aurora is usually pretty reliable. It's been many months since I last ran into a significant issue with it.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Firefox's Aurora site says the latest one is 13.0.1 but that's the same version on the release channel. Is there somewhere else I should be looking for 15 (if that's out yet as Aurora) or is that it?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The version I'm running is 15.0a2, so the site probably needs to play a little catchup. It should want to update to current, if it isn't at 15 when you download it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Firefox's Aurora site says the latest one is 13.0.1 but that's the same version on the release channel. Is there somewhere else I should be looking for 15 (if that's out yet as Aurora) or is that it?

Not sure what page you're looking at but here's the right one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

The version I'm running is 15.0a2, so the site probably needs to play a little catchup. It should want to update to current, if it isn't at 15 when you download it.

I think the site is a bit behind, yeah.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/aurora/ I used this one but I think it's out of date. But thanks though!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is Aurora stable enough to be used as a permanent browser or should I stick with Release Channel builds?

15a2 is about to release into BETA on the 17th: https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

It is pretty stable for me... much more responsive and the memory usage is dramatically lower due to the discussion above about zombie compartments. This is finally feeling like an improved Firefox for my problems I was having above.

Zhentar posted:

They aren't just minor theme changes though. They're trying to make significant UI changes in the process. People get pretty pissy when you make any UI changes (see the previous page for evidence). You want to take a long time iterating and refining before you push things out so you don't make a lot of people angry tweaking after the initial release.

It is true that people are resistant to change. I personally love seeing this improve and change but I am a developer. Changelogs are my favorite things to read! :D

ThermoPhysical posted:

Their site is all jacked up with Aurora changelog as well. It's pointing to 13a2. I changed the url to the correct one:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/15.0a2/auroranotes/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

jink posted:

15a2 is about to release into BETA on the 17th: https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

It is pretty stable for me... much more responsive and the memory usage is dramatically lower due to the discussion above about zombie compartments. This is finally feeling like an improved Firefox for my problems I was having above.

Did you reset the profile when you updated? For some reason, upgrading to 15 really hosed my performance on a fairly new profile. Resetting and installing all extensions etc. helped and it's been great since.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Did you reset the profile when you updated? For some reason, upgrading to 15 really hosed my performance on a fairly new profile. Resetting and installing all extensions etc. helped and it's been great since.

Yes, I started a clean profile.

This is one thing Mozilla needs to fix; profiles cause so many issues when they need to be cleaned and started over. So many problems are fixed by profile resetting yet there is no automated system in place to make sure the profile is running at it's optimum!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Zhentar posted:

So... how do you digest the output?

code:
1843 - l-0x7fff974d367a
1710 - l-0x7fff974d4bca
169 - l-0x7fff974d4a1e
60 - l-0x7fff9414235d
57 - l-0x7fff974d589a
55 - l-0x7fff9413454c
53 - l-0x100011f6d
46 - l-0x7fff940c7d57
45 - l-0x100014926
42 - l-0x1025ad875
42 - l-0x7fff940c7b70
42 - l-0x102456745
41 - l-0x1026647fa
41 - l-0x7fff9413479d
37 - l-0x1025ad87b
36 - l-0x101b44ae9
35 - l-0x7fff974d576e
33 - l-0x1025ad878
32 - l-0x7fff974d4bf2
29 - l-0x10206d7bd
29 - l-0x1024a848f
26 - l-0x7fff8fcade99
25 - l-0x102662573
25 - l-0x7fff8fcade9e
24 - l-0x100011ff2
24 - l-0x1025abc69
23 - l-0x7fff8fcadeaa
23 - l-0x10254e34d
22 - l-0x10001450c
22 - l-0x1025abc6d
22 - l-0x10249b1c5
21 - l-0x1026501b1
21 - l-0x10001478c
21 - l-0x10001390e
21 - l-0x7fff94134794
19 - l-0x1010d4895
19 - l-0x1025aca82
18 - l-0x10254d59a
18 - l-0x102454aa0

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

jink posted:

This is one thing Mozilla needs to fix; profiles cause so many issues when they need to be cleaned and started over. So many problems are fixed by profile resetting yet there is no automated system in place to make sure the profile is running at it's optimum!
This is being worked on. They added profile reset in Firefox 13 to automatically build a new profile and reimport your data, and right now they're working on detecting and alerting users to the most common issues. One key problem is that it's hard to tell whether something is broken or just different, there are a myriad of interesting ways that add-ons can hose a profile without being obvious about it.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Alereon posted:

This is being worked on. They added profile reset in Firefox 13 to automatically build a new profile and reimport your data, and right now they're working on detecting and alerting users to the most common issues. One key problem is that it's hard to tell whether something is broken or just different, there are a myriad of interesting ways that add-ons can hose a profile without being obvious about it.

I do like their profile reset. I hope they can add metrics for startup times or UI response time that would prompt the user for a recommended profile clean up, say on the start page. That recommendation could also be shown after a certain time period with add-ons installed (base on average time a user might have corruption?).

It's hard to detect when things go wrong due to the myriad of choice, I agree. It's needed because resetting the profile is usually the first thing that gets recommended in diagnosing weird Firefox behavior. I can't imagine how many users they have lost due to a bad profile thinking it was just how the browser worked. :(

I'm sure they are looking into it. I just hope it's not too little too late with Chrome becoming a household name and Internet Explorer becoming dare I say decent.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

jink posted:

So... how do you digest the output?

Yeah, that's supposed to look more like this:
code:
4123 - c-Timer::Fire
604 - c-LayerManagerOGL::Render
243 - c-Events::ProcessGeckoEvents
100 - c-nsEventListenerManager::HandleEventInternal
50 - c-Paint::PresShell::Paint
I don't know enough about how it works to say why it's not symbolicating for you.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Zhentar posted:

I don't know enough about how it works to say why it's not symbolicating for you.
Comment on the extension says that it ceased to work on the FF14 nightlies, so presumably it's broken for >FF13 versions.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
^^^^That must be it. Should've refreshed before posting.

It's giving me the non-symbolicated list too. I'm on the latest version of Aurora.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Zhentar posted:

Yeah, that's supposed to look more like this:
code:
4123 - c-Timer::Fire
604 - c-LayerManagerOGL::Render
243 - c-Events::ProcessGeckoEvents
100 - c-nsEventListenerManager::HandleEventInternal
50 - c-Paint::PresShell::Paint

Wow, yeah it's missing the method symbols!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Comment on the extension says that it ceased to work on the FF14 nightlies, so presumably it's broken for >FF13 versions.

Sounds like that's the problem. I read that comment and thought it was just for FF14. I stupidly assumed it was fixed in 15. :hurr:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I'd been having a lot of problems with FF stalling on me, and after finding this article (because I didn't know how to use about :jank at first :downs: ):

http://blog.mozilla.org/tglek/2012/01/26/snappy-january-26/

quote:

Laggy Sessions

On my machine about :jank indicated that most lag was caused by our direct2d accelerated drawing code, bug 721273. Turning off graphics acceleration made things a lot less slow (Options/Advanced/use hardware acceleration).

This has all but fixed my unusably-slow browsing problems in Pale Moon 12.2.1. FF/Pale Moon still sucks up a shitload of memory, but the super laggy BS is pretty much gone. So if you are having jerky performance, try turning off hardware acceleration.

Note that this is an older article and it may be fixed already in newer versions of FF, but it worked really well for me and the version of PM I'm running is newer than this article.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
What is about:jank? That doesn't work for me. Is that a Pale Moon-specific about page? E: Googled it, apparently it's an addon. Neat.

Also I just discovered about:about, which lists links to all the about pages available. Handy.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Looks like HiDPI rendering might not be *too* difficult as per bug 674373. I tested the latest TryServer build with the HiDPI patches and found it is rendering text just like safari:

quote:

I have installed Jonathan's try build (OSX 64).

The trybuild is looking much better than FF13 or FF15 (Aurora). I am having trouble distinguishing it from Safari on sites like Wikipedia. Apple's site still shows pixelation due to using images for text.

I have taken screenshots of the browsers on Apple.com/Wikipedia.

Apple.com:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1736241/Screenshots/n1.png Safari
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1736241/Screenshots/n2.png FF15 Aurora
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1736241/Screenshots/n3.png FF16 TryBuild (Jonathan)

Wikipedia.org:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1736241/Screenshots/n4.png Safari
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1736241/Screenshots/n5.png FF15 Aurora
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1736241/Screenshots/n6.png FF16 TryBuild (Jonathan)

The Apple page is using HiDPI images that we aren't requesting yet due to device pixel ratio not equaling 2 on the HiDPI screen.

Wikipedia uses regular text everywhere and is looking fantastic on the TryBuild.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Waffnuffly posted:

stuff about disabling hardware acceleration
Did you try updating to the latest video drivers? It's known that hardware acceleration can cause some latency, but it shouldn't be extreme if you have current video drivers. Really, you should put a lot more thought into ditching Pale Moon and switching to the official builds so you're not dealing with the dual problems of an outdated and poorly hacked build.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Alereon posted:

Did you try updating to the latest video drivers? It's known that hardware acceleration can cause some latency, but it shouldn't be extreme if you have current video drivers. Really, you should put a lot more thought into ditching Pale Moon and switching to the official builds so you're not dealing with the dual problems of an outdated and poorly hacked build.

I only have this problem on my work machine running PM from a USB stick, which I do so I don't have to copy my profile among multiple computers. But I had a good bit of lag with Firefox too, also from USB, so I know a lot of the lag is just from the fact that it's running off that interface. It's not a big deal, just something I've had to deal with.

I'll try updating the drivers next time I'm in, though. Could be part of it. I never have any issues at home, though I don't run my browser off a USB stick there obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Waffnuffly posted:

I only have this problem on my work machine running PM from a USB stick, which I do so I don't have to copy my profile among multiple computers. But I had a good bit of lag with Firefox too, also from USB, so I know a lot of the lag is just from the fact that it's running off that interface. It's not a big deal, just something I've had to deal with.

I'll try updating the drivers next time I'm in, though. Could be part of it. I never have any issues at home, though I don't run my browser off a USB stick there obviously.

You can also try Aurora. This build fixed up my lag pauses and other problems I was experiencing on my mac. I made a new profile for Aurora as well.