Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Decius posted:

But will they want you to pay for it, or is it covered by AppleCare?

No I didn't pay for it. They did it within an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x-virge
May 25, 2003

For sake of completeness:

Regular AppleCare (as is available for Macs) covers failures but not accidental damage.

AppleCare+, which is available for some iPhones and iPads at time of purchase, does cover two accidental damage incidents. But accidental damage incidents will cost you $50.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sonic Dude posted:

It's not an accidental damage plan, it's basically a warranty.

Yes just think of it as extended 3 year warranty with no coverage for damage or theft unless you pay some more money for the better plan.

And it's nicer in many ways since you can take the dead laptop into a brick and mortar store for repair even for international locations for faster repair time.

In all fairness a majority of other companies don't offer more than a 1 year warranty for their laptops.

You can buy it anytime within the 1 year standard year warranty window.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

etalian posted:

Yes just think of it as extended 3 year warranty with no coverage for damage or theft unless you pay some more money for the better plan.
There's no manufacturer coverage for damage or theft at all on Apple's computers. That's AppleCare+, which is iOS-only, 2 years, and only covers 2 damage incidents each with a $50 fee.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

etalian posted:

In all fairness a majority of other companies don't offer more than a 1 year warranty for their laptops.

You can buy it anytime within the 1 year standard year warranty window.

Most companies offer these types of warranties as an add on don't they? Dell, HP, Lenovo certainly do for instance an they're the vast majority of computer sales.

I would compare the AppleCare phone experience to my experiences with HP and lenovo's workstation support. Very fast to get to a person and easy to get an rma without redundant steps.

As far as call centers go, a lot of it is outsourced (ie not Apple employees) but is in the US.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is it normal for the battery to need a replacement after only two years? I'm planning on getting it serviced and will probably just pay for it if its normal, but I thought this seemed a bit fast. To be specific, Energy Saver is saying "replace soon," while iStat reports 331 cycles and 74% health. I do have Applecare, so if this does happen to be a manufacturing defect I should be able to get it replaced under that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That looks normal to me. 331 cycles in 2 years means it got a pretty good workout. If it's still at 74% of original capacity I wouldn't necessarily replace it right now.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

That looks normal to me. 331 cycles in 2 years means it got a pretty good workout. If it's still at 74% of original capacity I wouldn't necessarily replace it right now.
I agree. Non-integrated batteries are meant to last ~300 cycles, but yours is doing pretty well. I had one that still got about 35 minutes at 1100 cycles, so it's not unheard-of to keep using them well past that point.

Basically, if it's >300 and the life is too short, that's the point that you need to buy a new one. Health meters/percentages just confirm that your instinct ("it's getting really short") is correct.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

hobbesmaster posted:

Most companies offer these types of warranties as an add on don't they? Dell, HP, Lenovo certainly do for instance an they're the vast majority of computer sales.
Every company that isn't completely incompetent does as they're very profitable.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sonic Dude posted:

I agree. Non-integrated batteries are meant to last ~300 cycles, but yours is doing pretty well. I had one that still got about 35 minutes at 1100 cycles, so it's not unheard-of to keep using them well past that point.

Basically, if it's >300 and the life is too short, that's the point that you need to buy a new one. Health meters/percentages just confirm that your instinct ("it's getting really short") is correct.

Mine's integrated (mid-2010 13"), so if that's still alright, then fine. I just noticed that it's having less and less battery available after two 75-minute class periods, but as long as it can still make it through those I think I'll hold off until it can't. Thanks!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

carry on then posted:

Is it normal for the battery to need a replacement after only two years? I'm planning on getting it serviced and will probably just pay for it if its normal, but I thought this seemed a bit fast. To be specific, Energy Saver is saying "replace soon," while iStat reports 331 cycles and 74% health. I do have Applecare, so if this does happen to be a manufacturing defect I should be able to get it replaced under that.

If you have AppleCare, more often than not (at least at my store) we replace the battery. You paid for it, so we'll make it worth the outlay.

Try your luck at your local fruit stand.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

Every company that isn't completely incompetent does as they're very profitable.

Yeah infant mortality means a majority of laptops will fail within 1 year if there's a problem, after that the probability greatly decrease.

So the extended warranty ends up being a good money for nothing money making machine.

Also difference with Applecare is you have a brick and mortar store to handle the warranty even at international locations instead of doing the shipping drill.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

etalian posted:

Yeah infant mortality means a majority of laptops will fail within 1 year if there's a problem, after that the probability greatly decrease.

So the extended warranty ends up being a good money for nothing money making machine.

Also difference with Applecare is you have a brick and mortar store to handle the warranty even at international locations instead of doing the shipping drill.

The only reason I bought it was to ensure an easy sale when I sell it before the period expires in a couple of years- the academic discount is sizable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone have experience with this battery? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GP0OMG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
I grabbed one because i can't afford to get an Apple battery right now and this is the only aftermarket battery I saw on Amazon with decent reviews.

Also, this should work with a 2009 MBP right? Only one model is listed in the description and it isn't mine, but I think all 13" unibodies use the same battery right?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 5, 2012

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone have experience with this battery? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GP0OMG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
I grabbed one because i can't afford to get an Apple battery right now and this is the only aftermarket battery I saw on Amazon with decent reviews.

Also, this should work with a 2009 MBP right? Only one model is listed in the description and it isn't mine, but I think all 13" unibodies use the same battery right?

Won't work. That's only for the late 2008 aluminum Macbook, not Pro. The battery you're looking for looks more like this:

This one would work but I'd never trust a non-Apple battery.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh poo poo, Thanks for that. Still have time to cancel my order. I just thought it looked different due to it being aftermarket.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I just got my first Magic Mighty Mouse Touch surface mouse thing (any my first mac in about 6 years). How do you left+right click at the same time? I can't throw items in Amnesia without that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mug posted:

I just got my first Magic Mighty Mouse Touch surface mouse thing (any my first mac in about 6 years). How do you left+right click at the same time? I can't throw items in Amnesia without that.

Uh if you bought it from an Apple Store I really recommend taking that mouse back and exchanging it for a Magic Trackpad- it's a better pointing device in every conceivable way.

As for right click, you have to use both fingers - the mouse panel in System Preferences should show you how all the things work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NESguerilla posted:

I think these are the only trusted aftermarket batteries:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple/Laptop/Batteries

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

mediaphage posted:

Uh if you bought it from an Apple Store I really recommend taking that mouse back and exchanging it for a Magic Trackpad- it's a better pointing device in every conceivable way.

As for right click, you have to use both fingers - the mouse panel in System Preferences should show you how all the things work.

Okay. I'm not sure if you read what I was asking, I just want to use the mouse like a normal mouse where you can click left and click right at the same time in games. Is that possible with the magic touch mouse thing or do I have to buy a 3rd party mouse? Like in Amnesia you hold left mouse to grab an item, then while holding the item you right click to throw it at things. I have left click and right click working fine but you just cant do them both at the same time because the mouse seems to only have one physical "Click" and it just checks where your finger is when it clicks. Is that really how it works?

It wasn't possible with the Mighty Mouse I had years ago, I guess they haven't changed that maybe?

I don't want to use a magic trackpad for first person games, and I'm not really confident that lets you send 2 clicks at the same time either.

edit: Oh by the way, I got a refurbished imac so they didn't let me choose the wired keyboard/other mousing device when doing checkout unfortunately. Gonna go to JB Hifi and pick up the wired keyboard.

Mug fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 5, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mug posted:

Okay. I'm not sure if you read what I was asking, I just want to use the mouse like a normal mouse where you can click left and click right at the same time in games. Is that possible with the magic touch mouse thing or do I have to buy a 3rd party mouse? Like in Amnesia you hold left mouse to grab an item, then while holding the item you right click to throw it at things. I have left click and right click working fine but you just cant do them both at the same time because the mouse seems to only have one physical "Click" and it just checks where your finger is when it clicks. Is that really how it works?

It wasn't possible with the Mighty Mouse I had years ago, I guess they haven't changed that maybe?

I don't want to use a magic trackpad for first person games, and I'm not really confident that lets you send 2 clicks at the same time either.

edit: Oh by the way, I got a refurbished imac so they didn't let me choose the wired keyboard/other mousing device when doing checkout unfortunately. Gonna go to JB Hifi and pick up the wired keyboard.

Oh I did, maybe if you read my reply, where I told you to look at the system preferences for how to configure your mouse, because that would tell you exactly how to do what you can do with it.

You can't just left click - right click like a normal mouse on that piece of poo poo, and you shouldn't use it for gaming. Just buy a normal gaming mouse because otherwise you're going to be annoyed. Or heck, any mouse that has two physical buttons and a scroll wheel would be superior. I hate it so much.

FWIW though the trackpad does have two physical click sensors. They're built into the little nubs on the bottom of the device.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Mug posted:

Okay. I'm not sure if you read what I was asking, I just want to use the mouse like a normal mouse where you can click left and click right at the same time in games. Is that possible with the magic touch mouse thing or do I have to buy a 3rd party mouse?

Why are you pretending that you don't understand what device you have, making up silly names for it, and pretending you don't know what it's actually called in order to intentionally confuse which device you have and prevent others from helping you? Why do people do this? You can do what you're asking with either the Magic Mouse or the Magic Trackpad.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

You can do what you're asking with either the Magic Mouse or the Magic Trackpad.

I don't know if this was intentional or if you just made a typo, but to be totally clear neither the Magic Mouse nor the Magic Trackpad recognize simultaneous left and right "clicks".

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Oneiros posted:

I don't know if this was intentional or if you just made a typo, but to be totally clear neither the Magic Mouse nor the Magic Trackpad recognize simultaneous left and right "clicks".

This is right. The answer is to get whichever would be more useful for daily use, and get a Logitech or whatever to use in games. Or just get a mouse you like and ignore the one that came with the computer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oneiros posted:

And this is obnoxious with some CAD programs in windows.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I think MagicPrefs can do left+right click configurable. Give it a shot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When does anyone need to simultaneously left and right click at the same time? Even with CAD programs I don't think I've ever had to do that (though the mouse control scheme for every single god drat CAD program is different so who knows).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

When does anyone need to simultaneously left and right click at the same time? Even with CAD programs I don't think I've ever had to do that (though the mouse control scheme for every single god drat CAD program is different so who knows).

Some programs use left+right for panning or zooming the camera. A lot of FPS games use the combination too (ex minigun barrel spinup on the right button, fire on the left).

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

A fair number of games use it. Hence why most Mac users never see it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Manky posted:

A fair number of games use it. Hence why most Mac users never see it.
Wait, what? I've seen it, but almost every game/application that has needed it can be reconfigured to use some other key combination. For the only one that couldn't, there was MagicPrefs.

What's with the "LOL Apple products suxors hurrrr" sentiment in the Mac thread of late?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

Wait, what? I've seen it, but almost every game/application that has needed it can be reconfigured to use some other key combination. For the only one that couldn't, there was MagicPrefs.

What's with the "LOL Apple products suxors hurrrr" sentiment in the Mac thread of late?
Has there really been? Apple's modern mouse products, with the exception of the MT have been, at best, controversial.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sonic Dude posted:

I thought it was funny and I like Macs. v:shobon:v

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mediaphage posted:

Has there really been? Apple's modern mouse products, with the exception of the MT have been, at best, controversial.

The round ADB mouse was so great.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Just ordered a 13" i7 8GB Air. :toot:

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Just ordered a 13" i7 8GB Air. :toot:

Grats!

I'm planning to order a Macbook Pro 15" 2.3 Ghz tomorrow. I have a few questions:
1) Is the $100 screen upgrade worth it? I would think the higher res would make a pretty big difference in coding since you are able to see more and are also able to multitask better, but I am also wondering if it improves the screen.
2) How well would the Nvidia 650M 512MB fair for some light gaming? I'm mostly concerned with if its able to run Diablo 3, Starcraft II and Valve games(source engine) at decent settings.
3) Is the 5400rpm HDD acceptable or does the 7200rpm HDD result in a far faster machine?

This is going to be my first mac and it costs me 2.2k with the Apple-care warranty + tax. Hope it will serve me well!

Applesmack fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 5, 2012

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sonic Dude posted:

That's not what's happening at all. You're just being a computer warrior.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Applesmack posted:

Grats!

I'm planning to order a Macbook Pro 15" 2.3 Ghz tomorrow. I have a few questions:
1) Is the $100 screen upgrade worth it? I would think the higher res would make a pretty big difference in coding since you are able to see more and are also able to multitask better, but I am also wondering if it improves the screen.
2) How well would the Nvidia 650M 512MB fair for some light gaming? I'm mostly concerned with if its able to run Diablo 3, Starcraft II and Valve games(source engine) at decent settings.
3) Is the 5400rpm HDD acceptable or does the 7200rpm HDD result in a far faster machine?

This is going to be my first mac and it costs me 2.2k with the Apple-care warranty + tax. Hope it will serve me well!

1) The upgraded screen is amazing; if you have the cash go for it. The downside to it is the lack of glass; my MBP had the keyboard etch into the matte screen (due to the flex from lack of rigidity of the glass)... my screen had to be replaced by Apple and now it's on my watch list.

2) The 650M is a huge upgrade from my previous 320M in my MBP. I play Diablo III at 1440 with everything on high except shadows. Runs great!

3) The hard drive is going to be slow as piss. It will make you hate OSX. The 7200 will be better but nothing will make it feel fast. I suggest saving some cash and replacing that drive with an SSD.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Sorry I wasn't sure if this mouse was called a Mighty Mouse or a Magic Mouse or if I was confusing the word "Magic" with the Magic Trackpad.

I'll grab an MX Revolution when I go grab a new keyboard tonight if JB have them, thanks!

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Weird question for someone who has a newish Mac - have you tried any of the non-Apple Thunderbolt cables? I know they're not necessarily cheaper than the Apple ones, but I'm just curious if there's anyone who has given one a try. I'd assume it would work just as well, but since it's an active cable there's always the chance that it won't.

fleshweasel posted:

That's not what's happening at all. You're just being a computer warrior.
I'm in an old comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kuskus posted:

I think MagicPrefs can do left+right click configurable. Give it a shot
Yeah this is probably possible with whatever fancy mouse configuration things, but for this I'd just get a regular mouse unless you really really like the Magic Mouse, assuming that's what you have..

Mug posted:

Sorry I wasn't sure if this mouse was called a Mighty Mouse or a Magic Mouse or if I was confusing the word "Magic" with the Magic Trackpad.

I'll grab an MX Revolution when I go grab a new keyboard tonight if JB have them, thanks!
The current one is called the Magic Mouse while the previous one with scroll ball was the Mighty Mouse :eng101:, which was also a licensed name if you remember the old cartoon character. I think they just call it the Apple wired mouse or something plain now, if they even sell it anymore.