Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have suggestions regarding Cats and Cat gates? We've got a 2br 2 story house and 3 cats. 2 are ok but the other one is terrible and fights alot and goes to the bathroom if we so much as move too fast. He's getting old so I'm praying he just kicks it one day.

Our concerns are ...can the cats jump over the gate? What do you do with allergies? These suckers shed like crazy. What about cats scratching the kid? Any other tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

MasterControl posted:

Does anyone have suggestions regarding Cats and Cat gates? We've got a 2br 2 story house and 3 cats. 2 are ok but the other one is terrible and fights alot and goes to the bathroom if we so much as move too fast. He's getting old so I'm praying he just kicks it one day.

Our concerns are ...can the cats jump over the gate? What do you do with allergies? These suckers shed like crazy. What about cats scratching the kid? Any other tips?

Yes cats can jump over gates. Closing doors is your best option. How old is "the kid"? If the kid isn't old enough to grab tails or get into the cat's face it's highly likely the cat will not scratch said kid. If the kid IS old enough to do those things then you need to redirect and start to deal with a cat trying to scratch your kid. It'll happen.

What do you want to know about regarding allergies? Allergies are one thing you won't know about until the kid's been around for a while. A lot of times - people's systems learn to tolerate cat allergies if they're around the same cats every day. Sometimes they don't. It's trial and error.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Most cats can jump over baby gates. Is the grouchy old one less mobile, though? An arthritic cat might have a harder time. Is it possible to set things up so that your older cat can stay more or less in a baby-free area (e.g. an upstairs litter box and water)? Otherwise, gates are totally awesome and let the cats decide when they've had enough baby. That's the really important thing. Make sure the cats can have plenty of space away from the stressful new baby, and obviously don't have cats and babies together unsupervised.

Allergies: Is anyone in the family particularly prone to allergies? That could mean your baby is more likely to develop them. But for the most part, just keep up a good routine of vacuuming. (Which to be honest I did not do; my house is pretty much made of cat hair and my daughter didn't develop any cat allergies.)

Scratching: My cats totally ignored my daughter until she was old enough to be rolling around on the floor, at which point they decided she was pretty cool to curl up with (or maybe they just liked the blankets she was on). Scratching didn't get to be an issue until she was around 18 months and discovered that she could do things we didn't want her to do (like grabbing cats' ears). I just clean scratches and give her a hug and tell her not to pull tails. If you can get your cats used to regular nail trims, or things like those Softpaws claw tips, that's great too.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Most cats can jump over baby gates. Is the grouchy old one less mobile, though? An arthritic cat might have a harder time. Is it possible to set things up so that your older cat can stay more or less in a baby-free area (e.g. an upstairs litter box and water)? Otherwise, gates are totally awesome and let the cats decide when they've had enough baby. That's the really important thing. Make sure the cats can have plenty of space away from the stressful new baby, and obviously don't have cats and babies together unsupervised.

The baby is still a few months away, sorry for not mentioning that. We're trying to project possible issues down the line. I was figuring the gate at the top of the stairs so they would then have another step to jump up on top of the gate. I'm not sure they have that much air, but I'm sure they'd love to prove me wrong. I have enormous allergies so my kid is probably going to have it rough. We go so far as to have a hepa filter and the super filters for our AC system and it still doesn't do much.

I guess the whole answer to everything is don't ever leave the cat with the baby unsupervised which is good advice. I'm hoping the old dude bites the dust before we get to the tail grabbing part. The other two seem to not give a drat about anything so we're not too concerned with them. Thanks for the feedback.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Regarding cats and gates, my kid is a super crazy climber and can vault a standard baby gate in like .2 seconds, so we upgraded the gate on our bedroom door (our room is kid free so the cats have a safe zone when they want it) to a gate intended for large dogs. It is 44" tall. I put a shortish (like 32") cat tower just inside the gate so they could learn how to jump something that high. It took them like two tries to go from "oh god, too high, my world is ending" to "watch this, I don't need your cat tower training wheels."
For the record, they are 14 and 13 years old, not overweight and with no known orthopedic issues. If they had mobility problems, I would probably install a cat door in my bedroom door and just keep it closed during the day.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have an elaborate series of pet gates in our house to keep certain cats out of certain areas and dogs out of certain areas but not all cats. One of our older cats has a pee problem so she has to stay our of our carpeted living room, but we don't care if the other two go in there. I got a taller gate (its either a 40" or a 48" I can't remember. It was the tallest one I could find. I had to modify it by putting some particle board attached to one side so cats couldn't just squeeze through the gate. Our older cat can't make it over, but the younger ones can and it keeps the dogs out. We have a lower gate that she can get over that also keeps the dogs out for the room we keep the cat things in. We'll have to get another child proof gate for the top of our stairs as well when the baby comes.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
My wife had her 20-week ultrasound today. Everything looked great and we're having a boy! Now we're trying to populate the baby shower registry and I would love any suggestions people have. I already have a cloth diapering package picked out, and our neighbors are giving us a playpen and 2 strollers including a Bugaboo Frog with a Graco adapter, so #1 on my priority list is picking a Graco car seat.

Here, laugh at this picture with me:

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Oh my, that is for sure a boy! I wish mine had been that clear, it would have saved my boys from the awkward pictures my mom made of them in the dresses she bought pre-birth! Congrats and here are some suggestions:

1) Crib Sheets - these things are like 15 bucks each so the more you get given, the less you have to spend on them!

2) Footies that zip up in sizes 0-3 and 3-6 - You never know if your kids going to be huge and not fit newborn sizes. These are great because their feet stay warm without having to play find-the-sock!

3) A strap on front carrier so you and your wife can tote the kid around and do things. Make sure it can convert to forward facing as well for when he's older.

Don't worry about tons of toys and clothes right now, keep it simple. Your son won't care about hundreds of dollars worth of electronic light up stuff for at least 5 months and the clothes are just going to get outgrown and spat on anyway. Biggest things to put on the list are things that make this as easy and convenient for you both as parents, especially if you're cloth diapering or breast feeding.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Stairs posted:

3) A strap on front carrier so you and your wife can tote the kid around and do things. Make sure it can convert to forward facing as well for when he's older.

I fully agree with getting a carrier of some sort, but forward facing ones aren't really recommended for the comfort of the wearer and the most common ones-- Baby Bjorn, Snugli, etc-- may not be safe for the development of the baby, either. They're generally referred to in baby wearing circles as "crotch danglers" because the baby's weight is all on his or her crotch instead of spread comfortably like it is in the more ergonomically correct sitting position.

edit: I just realized that you may be meaning front carry (as in front carry vs. back carry), so to clarify, I am referring to the safety and comfort of wearing the baby facing outward. Wearing the baby facing inward but on your front is safe and is particularly awesome if mom can learn to breastfeed that way.

Amelia Song fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 5, 2012

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Stairs posted:

Oh my, that is for sure a boy! I wish mine had been that clear, it would have saved my boys from the awkward pictures my mom made of them in the dresses she bought pre-birth! Congrats and here are some suggestions:

1) Crib Sheets - these things are like 15 bucks each so the more you get given, the less you have to spend on them!

2) Footies that zip up in sizes 0-3 and 3-6 - You never know if your kids going to be huge and not fit newborn sizes. These are great because their feet stay warm without having to play find-the-sock!

Don't worry about tons of toys and clothes right now, keep it simple. Your son won't care about hundreds of dollars worth of electronic light up stuff for at least 5 months and the clothes are just going to get outgrown and spat on anyway. Biggest things to put on the list are things that make this as easy and convenient for you both as parents, especially if you're cloth diapering or breast feeding.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, the ultrasound tech told us beforehand that they couldn't determine the gender with 100% certainty, then once she got started she was like, "that is definitely a boy".

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Papercut posted:

Now we're trying to populate the baby shower registry and I would love any suggestions people have.

We have gotten so much mileage out of a baby swing. Em is 7 1/2 months now, and she still takes the majority of her naps in it. It's like a baby coma machine.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Papercut posted:

My wife had her 20-week ultrasound today. Everything looked great and we're having a boy! Now we're trying to populate the baby shower registry and I would love any suggestions people have.

#1 thing that I suggest to all soon-to-be parents is a Boppy pillow. Even if your wife chooses not to breastfeed, it's awesome for bottle feeding too, and just sitting around holding the baby. It really saves your arms.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Amykinz posted:

We have gotten so much mileage out of a baby swing. Em is 7 1/2 months now, and she still takes the majority of her naps in it. It's like a baby coma machine.

God yes. This is pretty much what my daughter's first few months looked like:

And the Boppy pillows are great. We ended up with two--bought one, were given another--and that was pretty great because we could have one upstairs and one downstairs.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Papercut posted:

My wife had her 20-week ultrasound today. Everything looked great and we're having a boy! Now we're trying to populate the baby shower registry and I would love any suggestions people have. I already have a cloth diapering package picked out, and our neighbors are giving us a playpen and 2 strollers including a Bugaboo Frog with a Graco adapter, so #1 on my priority list is picking a Graco car seat.

Congrats!

As far as baby gear goes, I've realized that I don't need a lot of items, but the ones I have, it's worth spending to get a drat good one.

I'm a big fan of babywearing. It serves a lot of purposes around our house, and since I'm on my own with the baby most of the time, it rocks for getting stuff done. Get something that you can use for a long time. (Not a stretchy wrap like a Moby, or one of the cheap crotch-danglers like a Bjorn.) I would recommend a mei tai like a BabyHawk (http://www.babyhawk.com/), a ring sling (Sakura Bloom is a well-liked brand), and/or a good quality structured carrier like a Beco, Boba, or Ergo. Personally, I prefer woven wraps for their versatility, comfort, and fabric geekery, but I have at least one of all of these types of carriers because they are great for different things and ages.

I also LURVE my BOB jogging stroller a ridiculous amount. It's too wide for shopping and indoor stuff, but what it does, it does really well. We go on at least one walk a day, and I run a few times a week. Best stroller ever.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

MoCookies posted:

Congrats!

As far as baby gear goes, I've realized that I don't need a lot of items, but the ones I have, it's worth spending to get a drat good one.

I'm a big fan of babywearing. It serves a lot of purposes around our house, and since I'm on my own with the baby most of the time, it rocks for getting stuff done. Get something that you can use for a long time. (Not a stretchy wrap like a Moby, or one of the cheap crotch-danglers like a Bjorn.) I would recommend a mei tai like a BabyHawk (http://www.babyhawk.com/), a ring sling (Sakura Bloom is a well-liked brand), and/or a good quality structured carrier like a Beco, Boba, or Ergo. Personally, I prefer woven wraps for their versatility, comfort, and fabric geekery, but I have at least one of all of these types of carriers because they are great for different things and ages.

Thank you for this post. We're about to start figuring out everything we need and first hand experience about things like this is really helpful. We don't have a lot of friends or family with babies so its hard to get that sort of information.

Edit: I like the BabyHawk, but I was also looking to get a sling type for when they're a newborn. It seems a little scary to put a newborn in anything. They seem so delicate. :ohdear:

Alterian fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 9, 2012

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

Alterian posted:

Thank you for this post. We're about to start figuring out everything we need and first hand experience about things like this is really helpful. We don't have a lot of friends or family with babies so its hard to get that sort of information.

Edit: I like the BabyHawk, but I was also looking to get a sling type for when they're a newborn. It seems a little scary to put a newborn in anything. They seem so delicate. :ohdear:
We really loved using our Moby for when our baby, Miles, was a brand new newborn. It was great for taking him out and about, especially because he was wrapped so close that no one really tried to touch him or get up in our business too much. We would constantly hear "oh! Look, there's a baby in there!" as we walked past people, and I miss that! We would still use the Moby now (Miles is 11 weeks old) except for that it's really hot to have it on. Since your baby will be born in the winter, it should be win-win. We now use our BabyHawk MeiTei and ErgoBaby carriers much more... they're still somewhat hot/sweaty, but less so than the Moby and it's easier for Miles to look and move around a little bit.

Edit: I figured I'd list other baby products that we've been grateful to have. None of these are necessities, of course; I had hoped to be a minimalist parent that didn't get a lot of the stuff with bright lights and annoying music, but I have since decided that those things are totally worth it if it keeps the baby happy and quiet, or saves time/effort for mom and dad. Some other non-baby-wearing things that we've really loved are:
  • Swing: We got this one in a different color on clearance at Target for $36, and it's been the best $36 I've ever spent. Miles takes his best naps in his swing, and the bouncer is great to be able to set him nearby while we're cooking, cleaning, or whatever else.
  • Play mat: We have Bright Starts Spots & Stripes Safari Gym and it's another place where Miles loves to hang out for a long time and kick and coo while we get stuff done.
  • Nosefrida Nasal Aspirator: This has been a lifesaver for the times when Miles has some snot in his nose and gets frustrated or has trouble breathing while he's eating. It's weird but it works well and quickly.
  • Bio Kleen Bac-Out: This cleaner has been great for getting spit up out of the shoulders of our shirts, and is also safe for cloth diapers.
  • Freddy the Firefly: This is Miles' absolute favorite toy, and he loves it hooked onto his play mat, hanging from his car seat, etc.
  • Lawn Countertop Drying Rack: Once I started pumping and bottle feeding some of the time (and full-time for a while), this was an absolute lifesaver for keeping our counter clear and helping all the bottle and pump parts dry quickly. We also got a twig accessory to go along with it, and that helped stuff dry even faster.

Grammar Fascist fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 9, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Neither my daughter nor I ever got comfortable with any baby-wearing approaches--it was too hot for both of us, I couldn't sit comfortably or accomplish much, she wasn't really into being snugged up so tightly, I couldn't work out breastfeeding with her in any of the slings/carriers I had. I felt like a bit of a failure for not being an awesome baby-wearing mom, but eh. It's not for everyone.

That said, I'll give it another try with Li'l Neo. It'll be winter, at least, so we won't be getting so hot and gross. I'm kind of uneasy about slings and very new babies too, though.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My husband seems more excited to wear the baby than me.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Alterian posted:

My husband seems more excited to wear the baby than me.

This happened to me too. My back was so sore from pregnancy, breastfeeding and carrying my daughter, that he ended up wearing her more than me. It was awesome for him and me too though, because he could wear her while he was working, and I could sleep.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Amykinz posted:

That or a vibrating bouncy chair. Chris loved both of those things, still naps in the bouncy chair even though his legs spill out of it.

Had to retire the swing cause he would sit up and throw the balance off.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Neither my daughter nor I ever got comfortable with any baby-wearing approaches--it was too hot for both of us, I couldn't sit comfortably or accomplish much, she wasn't really into being snugged up so tightly, I couldn't work out breastfeeding with her in any of the slings/carriers I had. I felt like a bit of a failure for not being an awesome baby-wearing mom, but eh. It's not for everyone.

That said, I'll give it another try with Li'l Neo. It'll be winter, at least, so we won't be getting so hot and gross. I'm kind of uneasy about slings and very new babies too, though.

You're totally right to be uneasy about positioning with tiny babies. The most common (and quite dangerous) mistake is positioning a newborn so that they are curled up with their chin tucked onto their chest. If you've got a ring sling, I think the "tummy to tummy" hold worked so much better for us. I'm still terrible at breastfeeding in a carrier though, and that's after 7+ months of exclusive breastfeeding.

Here's a good resource for safety with positioning in carriers: http://www.thebabywearer.com/articles/HowTo/Positioning.pdf

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
What is the current thoughts on swaddling? We were given one of these:-

http://www.miracleblanket.com

it seems to have the advantages of traditional swaddling without mangling his hips. We gave it a try today and he's been the least fussy for a long time. I think tonight was the first time since he was born that we have been able to eat dinner without him screaming bloody murder in the next room.

He's a colicky baby and isn't easy to burp.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Swaddling is recommended by tons of people. Now, whether or not your kid responds well to it is another thing. My daughter never cared for it and always broke out all the swaddle blankets and whatnot :)

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Mr Darcy posted:

We gave it a try today and he's been the least fussy for a long time. I think tonight was the first time since he was born that we have been able to eat dinner without him screaming bloody murder in the next room.

We held the baby while we ate dinner. I don't know why he'd be in the other room screaming bloody murder while you eat. Hold the baby.

Swaddling is fine if your baby likes it.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Any tips on how to help jump start labor? As of Wednesday, there wasn't any sort of progress and I'm currently 39w5days. I really don't want to go the induction route. I'm going to ask to get my membranes stripped at my next appointment, Tuesday, but does that really 'help' things?

Any last minute baby registry items I should add to take advantage of the 10% completion discount? I have the basics - pack 'n play, bedding, furniture, clothes, bibs, cloth diapers, baby carrier, travel system, bouncer, baby tub and towels, baby monitor, more blankets than I know what to do with, a few books to start reading (although that seems more like a few months down the road?)... Somehow it feels as though I'm forgetting something. :ohdear:

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Unless there's a medical necessity, you can refuse induction. A due date is a best guess and it's not unusual to go late. Your body will do its thing (normally), so let it.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

ghost story posted:

Any tips on how to help jump start labor? As of Wednesday, there wasn't any sort of progress and I'm currently 39w5days. I really don't want to go the induction route. I'm going to ask to get my membranes stripped at my next appointment, Tuesday, but does that really 'help' things?

Any last minute baby registry items I should add to take advantage of the 10% completion discount? I have the basics - pack 'n play, bedding, furniture, clothes, bibs, cloth diapers, baby carrier, travel system, bouncer, baby tub and towels, baby monitor, more blankets than I know what to do with, a few books to start reading (although that seems more like a few months down the road?)... Somehow it feels as though I'm forgetting something. :ohdear:

My midwives told me they fully expected me to go into labor around 41 weeks, and not to get antsy before then. Apparently that's normal for first deliveries, though it's hard being patient. There's a whole complicated cascade of hormones that triggers labor, so there's a lot to be said for not jumping the gun. The best thing you can do is to relax - it's hard to poop when you're all tense, right? Having a baby is an awful lot like the biggest poop you'll ever experience. This book is really great at explaining birthy stuff, and Ina May Gaskin has delivered a ridiculous number of babies - http://www.amazon.ca/Birth-Matters-Ina-May-Gaskin/dp/1583229272.

And one thing I wish I had from the beginning was coconut oil. Works a heck of a lot better than all the other diaper creams we tried, AND it's safe for the cloth diapers. There's a million other uses for it, too.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

We held the baby while we ate dinner. I don't know why he'd be in the other room screaming bloody murder while you eat. Hold the baby.

I think I would have gone mad if I didn't get to put my daughter down for a bit while I ate dinner. We put her in a swing chair in the corner, right next to the dining room table.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I think I would have gone mad if I didn't get to put my daughter down for a bit while I ate dinner. We put her in a swing chair in the corner, right next to the dining room table.

Which is way different than leaving them in the other room to cry.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

MoCookies posted:

And one thing I wish I had from the beginning was coconut oil. Works a heck of a lot better than all the other diaper creams we tried, AND it's safe for the cloth diapers. There's a million other uses for it, too.

How do you use your coconut oil? Do you just keep it in a jar or put it in some sort of spray bottle?

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Our house's ambient temperature is generally below the melting point for coconut oil, so it stays solid. I just put a little bit on my finger and it immediately starts to melt and can be rubbed in. It works awesomely for oiling the baby between meconium poops, too, and the meconium just wipes away easily the next diaper change.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Chickalicious posted:

Which is way different than leaving them in the other room to cry.

We don't have a baby swing, we have a vibrating chair thing but he hates that.

Let's imagine that it's 9pm, dinner should have been 3 hours ago, he's screaming bloody murder with his arms and legs flailing wildly How do you go about eating yourself in that situation if you have to hold him? When he's like that you need both arms to hold him properly, it kinda makes eating hard y'know :-)

Hence, put baby down for 5-10 mins, eat food and go back to looking after him.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Mr Darcy posted:

Let's imagine that it's 9pm, dinner should have been 3 hours ago, he's screaming bloody murder with his arms and legs flailing wildly How do you go about eating yourself in that situation if you have to hold him? When he's like that you need both arms to hold him properly, it kinda makes eating hard y'know :-)

One of us holds her and the other eats quickly, then we switch.

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

Mr Darcy posted:

I became very good at eating using only one hand. The other thing I did was to use a wrap so that I had both hands free!

In all honesty I would never leave a tiny baby to cry all alone in a different room. Babies tend to cry for a reason.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Mr Darcy posted:

Makes sense to me.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Randomity posted:

One of us holds her and the other eats quickly, then we switch.

That's how we did it. Sometimes I nursed her while eating, too.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We would either put the baby in the swing (in the same room) or if he was really fussy, we'd switch off with the holding and eating. Or I'd nurse. Balance the baby on the boppy, plate on the arm of the couch and you're golden.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Look, I understand everyone having their own ways of dealing with crying babies, but we shouldn't deride Mr. Darcy for his techniques. As a mother of three (soon to be four) it's my opinion (and the opinion of countless other mothers) there is absolutely nothing wrong with setting a baby down for a few minutes and taking a minute or 5 to regroup or eat! Women who believe that the baby has to be held or comforted every second that they cry tend to become stressed and blame themselves when the kid won't stop crying. But sometimes babies are just going to cry regardless.

With my first I held her, tried to feed her, begged her, cried with her, everything I could think to do to help her, I did. Then my mother set me down, took the baby and set her in her bed. She went to sleep in about 2 minutes. I was so stressed out at her crying that I was making her cry more!

Mr. Darcy, if you need to eat, you need to eat. You aren't going to do your kid any favors by making yourself a wreck.

And ladies, seriously? It's not like he said he set the baby down and went for a walk around the block. He's in the next friggin' room!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I don't find it to be a hardship to just hold the baby while eating v:shobon:v

I did it even when she wasn't crying. However, she also was pretty chill and I could put her in a swing or leave her in her carrier if we were out to eat. But there were several times where breastfeeding and feeding myself went hand-in-hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Well, if my kid was crying, I wasn't going to enjoy my dinner, so I'd hold him or my husband would hold him. A crying baby is awful. Especially a crying newborn. It's not that hard. They're tiny and will fit in one arm.