Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
pay the extra few pounds and use namecheap/gandi

if you cut corners like that you probably deserve everything you get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I'm already on namecheap, but my blog is being harassed by some psycho that sends barrages of abuse complaints to people's hosts he doesn't like. My host already politely told me to get off shore hosting, since they don't want to deal with it anymore. But now I'm worried that the same person will start barraging namecheap with abuse complaints, resulting in a similar situation.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Sperg Victorious posted:

I'm already on namecheap, but my blog is being harassed by some psycho that sends barrages of abuse complaints to people's hosts he doesn't like. My host already politely told me to get off shore hosting, since they don't want to deal with it anymore. But now I'm worried that the same person will start barraging namecheap with abuse complaints, resulting in a similar situation.

Jesus Christ, it's amazing that people have the time to do that kind of poo poo.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Sperg Victorious posted:

Well you have to wonder about a host that sides with "some psycho" rather than their paying customer - unless the complaints are substantiated, of course. I really don't know how asking a customer to move/transfer is a better business decision or takes less effort than deleting an email.

edit: and I don't think domains are subject to the same, rather lax DMCA takedowns as hosting. Only time I've seen it were FBI seizures with file sharing/poker sites, and I think they needed warrants for that.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

rawrr posted:

Well you have to wonder about a host that sides with "some psycho" rather than their paying customer - unless the complaints are substantiated, of course. I really don't know how asking a customer to move/transfer is a better business decision or takes less effort than deleting an email.

Nearly all of the abuse complaints required no action, but they were getting daily emails/fax/calls/who knows what else from this person, threatening legal action against the host as well.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Sperg Victorious posted:

try nfshost or prq.se

maybe also put it behind cloudflare, though I hear they hand over the real host IP willy-nilly these days

rawrr posted:

edit: and I don't think domains are subject to the same, rather lax DMCA takedowns as hosting. Only time I've seen it were FBI seizures with file sharing/poker sites, and I think they needed warrants for that.

yeah this

Put the domain on gandi if you're bothered about spurious legal threats against your registrar, but namecheap should be fine.

I'm kind of intrigued what the dude takes such an objection to now

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Rufo posted:

I'm kind of intrigued what the dude takes such an objection to now

Just about anything. It was mostly lil arguments he'd get into with people in comments sections. Someone would post a link that was related to him, so he'd send an abuse complaint or even about what someone had said to him. After a while he was just sending them for things that weren't even related. I'm not the first person to get this treatment, just the latest fixation.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Sperg Victorious posted:

Just about anything. It was mostly lil arguments he'd get into with people in comments sections. Someone would post a link that was related to him, so he'd send an abuse complaint or even about what someone had said to him. After a while he was just sending them for things that weren't even related. I'm not the first person to get this treatment, just the latest fixation.

Use gandi/prq.se if you literally don't want to give a poo poo about any abuse notices that aren't spam or warez.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 23, 2012

Poster Child
Apr 4, 2007

prq.se is being liquidated and is probably not a good choice for anything

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Poster Child posted:

prq.se is being liquidated and is probably not a good choice for anything

Didn't know this, can you provide any more info? Google isn't bringing anything up.

Poster Child
Apr 4, 2007

Rufo posted:

Didn't know this, can you provide any more info? Google isn't bringing anything up.

They lost their tax registration in November 2010 and liquidation was started in April this year.

All I could find is this, in Swedish: http://www.allabolag.se/5567270284/Periquito_AB

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
What's the goon consensus on having a Mac Mini colocated for small, personal things?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
It's a good little BSD box. My company has a couple of them in the datacenter for AV encoding for iTunes. Have never had any issues with them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eightysixed posted:

What's the goon consensus on having a Mac Mini colocated for small, personal things?

http://www.macminicolo.net/macmini.html

On one hand, OS X stinks performance wise and there's no redundancy in a Mini like you can get with a 'real' server running Linux. There's also the whole software compatibility issue.

But on the other they make a nice little server and if you need a Mac server they do a fine job - they've replaced Xserves in a lot of cases.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
~ btw as a followup to the WHMCS hack and related bullshit, one of them has been arrested and raided

charged as adult it seems, pdf here

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What would be the best way to measure bandwidth used per site/file in a Linode 512 (so it shouldn't be memory heavy) + nginx?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
This question on serverfault might help you out.

They basically advocate either changing the nginx log format to log request size, or use a plugin for a monitoring system, Munin. There are probably other solutions but those are what I found quickly.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Any other goons going to be at Hostingcon?

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Bounceweb are pulling some really scummy moves on me now. After cancelling my account (I asked them to), and no longer having any service, they just charged my credit card for another year of hosting and are refusing to refund it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

whiskas posted:

Bounceweb are pulling some really scummy moves on me now. After cancelling my account (I asked them to), and no longer having any service, they just charged my credit card for another year of hosting and are refusing to refund it.

Chargeback everything they hit you with then, make them lose their merchant account if they want to be little shits.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

whiskas posted:

They really should be removed from the goon host options, this isn't the first, or last time they will pull this poo poo. For the longest time you couldn't even remove your credit card info without submitting a ticket.

vv Thank Christ. Reading the last 10 pages alone would be reason enough to drop them.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 6, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Oh My Science posted:

They really should be removed from the goon host options, this isn't the first, or last time they will pull this poo poo. For the longest time you couldn't even remove your credit card info without submitting a ticket.

Done

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Man, hearing how other budget hosts treat their customers makes me feel a lot better about my company. We just mistreat our employees! :haw: (despite my best efforts)

We make a genuine effort to do right by our customers, especially in situations where they're unhappy with the service or looking to cancel. (not just retention - even if they do cancel we still want to avoid them leaving unhappy)

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 6, 2012

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Comradephate posted:

Man, hearing how other budget hosts treat their customers makes me feel a lot better about my company. We just mistreat our employees! :haw: (despite my best efforts)

We make a genuine effort to do right by our customers, especially in situations where they're unhappy with the service or looking to cancel. (not just retention - even if they do cancel we still want to avoid them leaving unhappy)
Agreed!!!

Word of mouth spreads like wildfire. There is never a good reason to burn a bridge! Its not easy to please everyone, but don't give anyone a reason to say bad things about your company.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DarkLotus posted:

Agreed!!!

Word of mouth spreads like wildfire. There is never a good reason to burn a bridge! Its not easy to please everyone, but don't give anyone a reason to say bad things about your company.

I'm not sure why anyone would have used them in the first place considering the site pretty much looks like one of those generic UNLIMITED EVERYTHING etc etc, the price on the front page is a lie and requires years of prepayment :\

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

I'm not sure why anyone would have used them in the first place considering the site pretty much looks like one of those generic UNLIMITED EVERYTHING etc etc, the price on the front page is a lie and requires years of prepayment :\

And their thread in SA-Mart is full of complaints, security issues, and unsatisfied customers.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Does anyone have the link to the new Hostgator thread in SA Mart? Can't seem to find it even with the search on.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Disharmony posted:

Does anyone have the link to the new Hostgator thread in SA Mart? Can't seem to find it even with the search on.

there doesn't seem to be one any more

Did hostgator survive the WHMCS fisco with their reputation intact, I haven't been following it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rufo posted:

there doesn't seem to be one any more

Did hostgator survive the WHMCS fisco with their reputation intact, I haven't been following it

Hostgator? What reputation?

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?
They're being sold to the place that bought bluehost. http://greatresponder.com/2012/06/26/endurance-international-group-to-acquire-hostgator-web-hosting/ .

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is that good news or bad news for HostGator customers?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Well that explains some things. A guy I used to work for was going to go back to working for them. He moved his whole family to Florida from NJ just to find out Hostgator wasn't going to open the location they hired him to work at after all.

ichorclaw
Oct 31, 2010

by Fistgrrl

ichorclaw fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 29, 2013

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ichorclaw posted:

It is literally impossible for me to imagine a level of incompetence that high.

You don't read SH/SC a lot do you

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

ichorclaw posted:

EIG can't do a WORSE job running Hostgator than the current owner. It is literally impossible for me to imagine a level of incompetence that high.

EIG is significantly worse. I would much rather use HG than any current EIG property

Asking them to add an AAAA record because the control panel doesn't let you:

Even hostgator isn't this braindead. You can't use your own nameservers and point an A record either, it'll refuse to serve until the NS's are set to theirs.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 7, 2012

ichorclaw
Oct 31, 2010

by Fistgrrl

ichorclaw fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 29, 2013

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
proprietary contrl panel vDeck / Fatcow. Their idea of "advanced dns control" is A or CNAME

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

dvgrhl posted:

The first steps in that guide are good. But for the firewall and fail2ban steps, I would skip those and install this if you're up to it http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html. It will manage the firewall and do everything fail2ban does and then some. If you did that, I would say you have a very secure server.

Holy poo poo thanks for this, I just had my server up for 10 days, and already see this in my csf log files:

115.182.50.74 # lfd: (sshd) Failed SSH login from 115.182.50.74 (CN/China/-): 5 in the last 300 secs - Fri Jul 6 22:27:45 2012
210.211.100.172 # lfd: (sshd) Failed SSH login from 210.211.100.172 (VN/Vietnam/-): 5 in the last 300 secs - Sat Jul 7 09:57:17 2012

Haven't even gotten around to using key pair authentication yet.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
You should change the ssh port at the very least. I'm surprised you're not getting a steady stream alerts. I have a new server that might not even be a week old yet, and I was getting 3-4 alerts a day about port scanning, smtp auth failures, ect. Mostly from China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've been using godaddy for my web hosting for probably a decade or so now. with the advent of cloud storage solutions like Dropbox and Google Drive I was wondering if there are better web hosts now with nice web interfaces. Is it possible to use Google Drive as a web host? I'm thinking that'd be the ideal solution for the small-time personal portfolio website I have going, it'd mostly be a really low traffic blog/gallery.