Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

For now it amuses me on the rare occasions that I help people that I see them using a Drake Sword, because my Black Knight Sword is Better. None of your babby ugly swords here, just a nice straight shiny sword with a bit of a bloodstain.

Then I die to the Gargoyles I'm supposed to be helping with because I'm too busy admiring myself. But deep in my heart, I know I'm better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Every time I do low-level invasions in Blighttown, I am amazed at the sheer number of people using a combo of Knight's Shield, Drake Sword, Boar Helm, and whatever class's default armor.

The game's been out this long and there are still so many new players, it's great.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I forgot to talk to Solaire early in the game, and he isn't at his perch anymore. I'd like to get some white soapstone and do some co-op monster killin', but where can I get it now?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Every time I do low-level invasions in Blighttown, I am amazed at the sheer number of people using a combo of Knight's Shield, Drake Sword, Boar Helm, and whatever class's default armor.

The game's been out this long and there are still so many new players, it's great.

Imho the ultimate new player give-away is people using the lightning spear past Sen's, particularly if they're also rocking full Havel's prior to O&S. Almost feels sad.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

User0015 posted:

I forgot to talk to Solaire early in the game, and he isn't at his perch anymore. I'd like to get some white soapstone and do some co-op monster killin', but where can I get it now?

Solaire will disappear from the game if you fail to talk to him. You might get lucky if you check the shrine behind the Hellkite Dragon, but other than that you won't be seeing him again.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Is that the only way to get white soapstone? Or will a merchant have it?

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary
No merchant will have it

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Great. So how do you get to the shrine behind the Hellkite dragon? Is that the dragon you meet near the start of the game?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

The hellkite dragon is also known as the Bridge Dragon and he's the one that waits on the bridge. You can kill him or try to run past using safe zones, though I've never gotten the safe zone strategy to work properly and am convinced that everyone who has is just lucky.

If you want to know how to kill the fucker, I posted a step-by-step sort of thing somewhere in the last page or two.

Also, regarding the white soapstone, there's a chest that spawns in the back of the watery pool area of Firelink that's made for recovering essential items that were lost or dropped. The soapstone might appear there at some point, though you may also be stuck without co-op on that character until NG+.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I always go through the Burg bonfire ladder/shortcut, get out to the midway point of the bridge and check if he's there. If the dragon's there, I'll bait a flame breath. After that, I run and hide behind the wall that's behind the stairs that lead to the top of the bridge. I'll stay hiding behind the wall, which should be safe, and wait for him to come down. As soon as he does, I run straight for the bonfire and sit down. Depending on the timing, he can whip his tail and hit you while you're running from behind him. If you're slow, he can also turn around and stuff flames into the bonfire room. If you think you're too slow, just run out to the right and you should be safe (and presumably where Solaire is).
If he isn't there, I'll pop out and hope he comes and does a fly by flame sweep. After that, I just do the same as above.

Fun fact, if you skip Burg and take the Drake Valley shortcut to Parish, you never see that beginning part where the Drake lands and flies away, and he'll never appear on the bridge.
Also, you can't go backwards into the Taurus Demon's bridge/boss fight place.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

User0015 posted:

Great. So how do you get to the shrine behind the Hellkite dragon? Is that the dragon you meet near the start of the game?

Best way: Shoot him once with a bow while just in front of the barrier between the staircase and the wall. He'll jump down near you. Run under him and don't stop until you hit the shrine.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Well, snuck past the dragon and there's nothing. Seriously thinking of restarting my game, since I'm not that far in. Plus I think I can fine tune my build a little better anyways. Can't believe I forgot about that stupid knight though.

I'm also a little bummed the dragon appears to be gone completely. Gotta kill him next time.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
He reappears sometimes, if you come back to the bridge (Definitely if you walk up the stairs from the shortcut).

But, yes, restart. This way, you can optimize yourself and apply knowledge that you gained from this one. Murder Solaire for the trouble he's given you - then, you can wear his armor and weapons and BECOME him. Praise the Sun the right way.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

He reappears sometimes, if you come back to the bridge (Definitely if you walk up the stairs from the shortcut).

But, yes, restart. This way, you can optimize yourself and apply knowledge that you gained from this one. Murder Solaire for the trouble he's given you - then, you can wear his armor and weapons and BECOME him. Praise the Sun the right way.

You're a monster....

Everyone knows that the only right way to kill an NPC is to drain their souls with a Dark Hand before murdering them.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
By the time he gets a Dark Hand, Solaire will be long gone.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
The real rear end in a top hat move is to follow Solaire's storyline until after you fight the Centipede Demon.

And then rush straight through the Izalith shortcut and never look back :unsmigghh:

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
The recent talk of Blight town invasions in this thread inspired me to give it a go and drat is it fun.

So many knight's shields, drake swords and boulder sets. I've also seen more gargoyle helms than boar ones, but in the end they offer little protection from my poison spewing dung tossing antics. It has convicted me that the sack and skull lantern are essential pvp tools.

One question though, is it worth the trip up to the painted world for Acid Surge? I'm thinking it would be nice to give people a proper welcome to the blight, but if the degradation isn't worth it I'm happy to just keep on as I am.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

A trip to the Painted World is worth it for the Xanthous Crown alone.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Nah, pass on Acid Surge and just get the two spells from that one dude in the Chaos Witch Covenant and then poison the poo poo out of fools.

Bonus points if you're super fat, wear the sack, only have the Hollow Warrior Waistcloth on, and still hit the 56 poise breakpoint :getin:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Should I be using items like the firebombs much? I think if they didn't require my character to stop moving to throw them, like pyromancy, I'd use them far more. I always just seem to get hit when I try instead

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Nah, pass on Acid Surge and just get the two spells from that one dude in the Chaos Witch Covenant and then poison the poo poo out of fools.

Bonus points if you're super fat, wear the sack, only have the Hollow Warrior Waistcloth on, and still hit the 56 poise breakpoint :getin:

Pity, I'm might go up anyway if i get bored tomorrow(as if).

That's pretty much the exact set up I'm running. Shiny armor in the Blight? Not on my watch!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Scott Bakula posted:

Should I be using items like the firebombs much? I think if they didn't require my character to stop moving to throw them, like pyromancy, I'd use them far more. I always just seem to get hit when I try instead
Depends on what you're using them for. They are good at very low levels and occasionally you can surprise an invader with them (poo is much better for flinging :v: ), but while it would be baller as hell to take out Super O with them they don't do much outside of the Burg on NG.

edit: dung pies and poisoned throwing kinves are a-ok to be using because they cause status effects, not just do some damage.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 6, 2012

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

A trip to the Painted World is worth it for the Xanthous Crown alone.

I like it for the insane amount of soul grinding you can do. In NG+ you can easily get over a million souls in an hour.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

How similar was Demon Souls to Dark Souls? I don't own a PS3 but I was watching my brother play it for the first time a few days ago and it was kind of funny because I could figure out most of the first level (or somewhere around there) and help him get through it just from watching it and having played most of Dark Souls. There was even a Bridge Dragon.

Also, having just finished Tomb of Giants, the entire catacombs-tomb of giants section was definitely my least favorite part of the game so far. The catacombs was pretty boring looking compared to the rest of the game but it at least had shortcuts and a few sections with nifty architecture. Then Tomb of Giants was almost much the same thing, only dark and more brown looking and without any shortcuts as far as I could tell, and filled with enemies designed to knock you off cliffs. Given the end where it opens up to a view of Ash Lake I think it would have been better if there was a connecting ladder or tree trunk or something so you could either bypass most of the area or make a quick rest stop on the beach. I could see a lot of items off in the darkness I missed but I couldn't take fighting giant skeleton dogs and those stupid bone tower things any longer.

Narfbombs
May 1, 2009
I just got the game last night and finally made it to the Taurus Demon (like one of the first bosses). He was kicking my rear end but on my like 7-8th attempt, and after literally one attack (the plunge attack), someone knocked on my apartment door. Having little confidence I was going to beat him I just left the controller there and to my surprise, when I came back I was still alive and he was nowhere to be found and I was 3k souls richer.

While it wasn't that satisfying, I got so close so many times that I'm glad hes dead. But I'm still wondering what the heck happened? He had almost his entire health bar left. :confused:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

How similar was Demon Souls to Dark Souls? I don't own a PS3 but I was watching my brother play it for the first time a few days ago and it was kind of funny because I could figure out most of the first level (or somewhere around there) and help him get through it just from watching it and having played most of Dark Souls. There was even a Bridge Dragon.

Dark souls is kind of like a retelling of Demon Souls. The same basic concepts are there (Castle, Swamp, Lava place etc.) but told in a completely different way. It plays the same except there's a lot more viable ways to get through the game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Narfbombs posted:

I just got the game last night and finally made it to the Taurus Demon (like one of the first bosses). He was kicking my rear end but on my like 7-8th attempt, and after literally one attack (the plunge attack), someone knocked on my apartment door. Having little confidence I was going to beat him I just left the controller there and to my surprise, when I came back I was still alive and he was nowhere to be found and I was 3k souls richer.

While it wasn't that satisfying, I got so close so many times that I'm glad hes dead. But I'm still wondering what the heck happened? He had almost his entire health bar left. :confused:

Taurus is a very special kind of boss, one without walls all around his arena and a tendency to try to dodge. He more than likely literally jumped to his death.

Narfbombs
May 1, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Taurus is a very special kind of boss, one without walls all around his arena and a tendency to try to dodge. He more than likely literally jumped to his death.

Well that would explain it. Darn, now I only wish I got to see it happen.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Taurus is infamous for jumping off the side of the wall. I remember being afraid of him and not knowing how to destroy him. The real Dark Souls starts here :getin:

In regards to firebombs, they're still useful in the depths against those sludges and big eyes. I also have fun using them in PvP to stop people from healing. Idk about the usefulness of black firebombs, as I've only used them on ghosts so far and it takes two hits.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Nasgate posted:

Taurus is infamous for jumping off the side of the wall. I remember being afraid of him and not knowing how to destroy him. The real Dark Souls starts here :getin:

In regards to firebombs, they're still useful in the depths against those sludges and big eyes. I also have fun using them in PvP to stop people from healing. Idk about the usefulness of black firebombs, as I've only used them on ghosts so far and it takes two hits.

Black firebombs are stronger than regular firebombs. If I had to honestly guess, I'd say maybe twice as strong compared to a standard firebomb. I've never seen raw numbers for either of them, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well I've upgraded my Iaito to +6 and its only just weaker than the Drake sword now. I guess with another couple of levels to improve my dex it'll over take it. When do large titanite shards become more commonly available?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Have you beaten the boss in Blighttown yet? In the area that opens up after you beat that boss, you'll find a merchant hidden somewhere (Hint: pay attention to the cutscene to know just what area it is). He sells large shards and green shards (And possibly regular titanite shards, but I can't remember). He also sells some nice armor, black firebombs, and a very good consumable, green blossoms.

Once you get the sword to +10, you'll be at a bit of an impasse. You can either try to keep buffing your dex and go the +15 route, or you can forgo upgrading dex in favor of making the sword elemental, which'll boost its damage greatly but remove your scaling from dex.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Scott Bakula posted:

Well I've upgraded my Iaito to +6 and its only just weaker than the Drake sword now. I guess with another couple of levels to improve my dex it'll over take it. When do large titanite shards become more commonly available?

you can buy them in Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Scott Bakula posted:

The Iaito also has bleed on it, so if you can manage to string up 3-4 attacks in a row on an opponent you'll trigger bleeding which takes off a substantial chunk of health.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
30% of their total HP. Not sure if that number changes with the Lifehunt weapons (The scythe and Priscilla's Dagger).

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Shima Honnou posted:

30% of their total HP. Not sure if that number changes with the Lifehunt weapons (The scythe and Priscilla's Dagger).

It does. They're 50%, though Priscilla's Dagger builds up more slowly than most weapons as well. Lifehunt Scythe also builds up Bleed on the person using it, so that kind of sucks.

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

Scott Bakula posted:

You can farm them from the slimes outside the bonfire in the depths, making a run down to the rats to get humanity can be done pretty quickly in the same run. You'll get some souls in the process as well obviously.
e: you can memorize Combustion and run through one-shotting the slimes that way and kill them all in <60 seconds then run back to the bonfire and repeat. In human form you'll rack up Large Shards pretty damned quick, the other thing they drop is green shards which are pretty useful too.

Mr. Self Destruct fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 6, 2012

Vlishgnath
Mar 27, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

I farm them by the truckload from leeches in the swamp. There's an area with about 10 or so you can smash within a couple of minutes. With the item+ discovery ring, I average 1-3 per run.

e; ^^^
What he said

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is the item discovery ring necessary for that? Otherwise I might farm them for a bit before I head further into blighttown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Scott Bakula posted:

Is the item discovery ring necessary for that? Otherwise I might farm them for a bit before I head further into blighttown

It's not necessary, the drop rate is decent, but it helps a ton.

• Locked thread