Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
Yeah, Bruno was as big a superstar as you could get in the 1960s and 1970s when it came to wrestling on the East Coast in general and in WWWF/WWF history in particular. Vince Sr. didn't give him two lengthy-rear end title reigns for no reason, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What did Bruno do that he now has a nest egg? Surely wrestling in the 60's and 70's didn't pay out that much?

Property?

Who knows. Knowing Bruno, he probably lives in a house he paid off like 40 years ago.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What did Bruno do that he now has a nest egg? Surely wrestling in the 60's and 70's didn't pay out that much?

He doesn't live extravagantly. It didn't pay close to what it pays now, but from 1963-1978 he was easily one of the top 10 earners among athletes over that period. Remember, he's working the WWWF as champion for that period, as well as touring All Japan and in demand elsewhere. Add in another few years in the 80s where he came back on his own terms and you are looking at a guy who made good money during his career and basically stopped working in his mid 50s.

I think some things about Bruno get overstated. I don't think he's actually bemused by his fame or the fact people remember him, I think that's more the kind of modesty you hear from grandfathers when you mention something great they did. I bet he understands why people love him, but I think it makes him slightly embarrassed.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Bruno also has lived in the same house for fifty years, didn't have the typical drug and women vices, etc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bruno Sammartino is basically a really awesome old dude.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
And unlike some retired guys who have gripes about the business, he's not a huge hypocrite.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Maybe Vince McMahon should send Mark Henry to try to convince Bruno to come back, to remind him that not everyone in the modern wrestling world is scummy or hypocritical :unsmith:

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Quarex posted:

Maybe Vince McMahon should send Mark Henry to try to convince Bruno to come back, to remind him that not everyone in the modern wrestling world is scummy or hypocritical :unsmith:

Sexual Chocolate :cry:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MassRayPer posted:

The other thing is, Bruno isn't a wrestling fan. He was born in Italy, got into bodybuilding when he was bullied as a child and was later introduced to wrestling as a means of making money. He says how he loves the fans, loves his memories of the business, and loves the friends he made, but when he was done he was done. He likes doing appearances now and then to meet the fans, honor his friends and talk about his memories, but he doesn't need it in his life.

I think it also doesn't help that the two main times he's come back he feels he was misled (the WWF as an announcer/part time wrestler and UWF as an announcer.)

The guy seems to really want to spend time with his grandchildren, visit Italy and hang out with his wife.
Didn't he nearly die of disease and starvation in Italy since you know he was living as a kid in the late 30s-early 40s Italy. It was when he moved to Pittsburgh that I think he started bodybuilding and getting into wrestling at Pitt. He really does deserve a statue in this city, he is one of the icons of Pittsburgh sports. Such a cool dude, I hear he still works out today!

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

MassRayPer posted:

There's about a million reasons.

1. He hates steroids in wrestling and blames Vince for a great deal of the proliferation of steroids in wrestling.

1a. He doesn't like that Vince made huge profits off of this.

2. He doesn't like the changes in the wrestling business, the raunch, and the treatment of workers.

3. He lives a comfortable life and doesn't really like the spotlight.

4. He doesn't want his name to be used to make profits for a company he finds immoral.

5. He feels Vince McMahon lied and deceived him personally over business arrangements.

If you thought a company was disgusting and knew your name would be used to make that company money, would you want to make an appearance for a company that would make them a lot of money when you don't need the money?

If I remember right, he's also a pretty staunch Catholic and it's partially a moral thing with his disgust with the state wrestling is in.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The wrestling my dad grew up watching was Channel 11's Studio Wrestling broadcast by a local Pittsburgh station in the 60's and early 70's.

Back in those days, how exactly did the relationship between an independent production like that and the WWWF work? It was apparently booked by a local promoter and not Vince Sr.

Bruno was definitely their featured guy, and according to the wiki article was simply billed as the "World Champ" with no mention of the WWWF. The WWWF also definitely directly ran shows in Pittsburgh as well in those days, so was there any sort of conflict due to overlapping territory?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

Didn't he nearly die of disease and starvation in Italy since you know he was living as a kid in the late 30s-early 40s Italy. It was when he moved to Pittsburgh that I think he started bodybuilding and getting into wrestling at Pitt. He really does deserve a statue in this city, he is one of the icons of Pittsburgh sports. Such a cool dude, I hear he still works out today!

He had rheumatic fever while living on a mountain hiding from the Nazis and that actually kept his family from moving to the US for a year or two. It also caused the heart condition that 70 years later required him to have surgery! When he was in Pittsburgh he was a pipsqueak because of the years of illness and got picked on, hung out at the Y and did a lot of bodybuilding. He still lifts an insane amount for his age.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

When he was in Pittsburgh he was a pipsqueak because of the years of illness and got picked on, hung out at the Y and did a lot of bodybuilding. He still lifts an insane amount for his age.

My dad and a friend of his met Bruno at a local Y when they were kids. He did pushups with both of them sitting on his back, regaled them with the virtues of "Scientific Wrestling" and told them to stay away from steroids.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

The wrestling my dad grew up watching was Channel 11's Studio Wrestling broadcast by a local Pittsburgh station in the 60's and early 70's.

Back in those days, how exactly did the relationship between an independent production like that and the WWWF work? It was apparently booked by a local promoter and not Vince Sr.

Bruno was definitely their featured guy, and according to the wiki article was simply billed as the "World Champ" with no mention of the WWWF. The WWWF also definitely directly ran shows in Pittsburgh as well in those days, so was there any sort of conflict due to overlapping territory?

I have no idea. I can only imagine the promoter and Vince Sr. were friends and stayed out of each other's way, but that is interesting.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Thauros posted:

My dad and a friend of his met Bruno at a local Y when they were kids. He did pushups with both of them sitting on his back, regaled them with the virtues of "Scientific Wrestling" and told them to stay away from steroids.

That's not as awesome as Terry Funk telling kids to stay out of jail, but it's close. Bruno is awesome.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Quarex posted:

It'll be the proverbial "two samurai meet in the middle of a rope bridge, stare each other down and both walk back from where they come from with respect for each others' strengths 'cause they know neither will be able to make the other man budge".

I wonder if Triple H wants to at least help Vince and Bruno bury the hatchet, Hall of Fame or not.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 5, 2012

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

That's not as awesome as Terry Funk telling kids to stay out of jail, but it's close. Bruno is awesome.

YOU STAYED OUT OF JAIL! :haw:

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Anyone know the wrestler alter-egos of some of Kaiju Big Battel's characters?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Quarex posted:

"Aren't you the guy who gave birth to a hand on RAW?"

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Perigryn posted:

It'll be the proverbial "two samurai meet in the middle of a rope bridge, stare each other down and both walk back from where they come from with respect for each others' strengths 'cause they know neither will be able to make the other man budge".

I wonder if Triple H wants to at least help Vince and Bruno bury the hatchet, Hall of Fame or not.

Haha I find it hilarious if true that Triple H garners any reasonable amount of respect from Bruno since he exhumes 4+ reasons Bruno soured on the WWF/E.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

CombineThresher posted:

He sold out every building in the biggest US territory for the best-paying promoter for at least a decade, plus he promoted a few towns himself and probably had some endorsements and other business ventures along the way.

He owns a gym or two as well, right? Plus whatever convention appearances he still makes. Seems like he was also smart with the money he did make in his hey day as well.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

maniacripper posted:

Haha I find it hilarious if true that Triple H garners any reasonable amount of respect from Bruno since he exhumes 4+ reasons Bruno soured on the WWF/E.

What was the story of how back in 2004 or so, they were doing a show in Pittsburgh and they were (again) making a REALLY strong reach to Bruno at coming to the show and patching up with Vince, and Bruno said he would only come if Benoit was facing Angle, and then turned it down because he was facing HHH, who Bruno didn't have the slightest clue about?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Shiki Dan posted:

What was the story of how back in 2004 or so, they were doing a show in Pittsburgh and they were (again) making a REALLY strong reach to Bruno at coming to the show and patching up with Vince, and Bruno said he would only come if Benoit was facing Angle, and then turned it down because he was facing HHH, who Bruno didn't have the slightest clue about?
One version of the story is that Bruno relayed said refusal to Triple H himself while not having a clue who he is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

maniacripper posted:

I think that HHH's work ethic combined with his training may give Bruno a bit more respect for him than you would think.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So what was the deal with Milano Collection A.T. and the WWE? I remember some stuff about him staying with Funaki in Texas and doing stuff for HBK's promotion, Gewirtz seeing him at an ROH show and being really impressed by him and then nothing ever came of it even though it seemed for a few months he was constantly on the verge of being signed.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRayPer posted:

I think that HHH's work ethic combined with his training may give Bruno a bit more respect for him than you would think.
Plus Triple H is a Kowalski student. I think he and Sammartino were good friends.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perigryn posted:

Plus Triple H is a Kowalski student. I think he and Sammartino were good friends.

That's what I meant actually, I phrased that really poorly.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRayPer posted:

That's what I meant actually, I phrased that really poorly.
Ah, it wasn't that bad. I managed to pick up on it. :)

Triple H may be a egotistical dick but he's shown that he does have a decent head on his shoulders for the business and that at least managed to impress Bruno enough to say that he got along well enough with Vince McMahon's son-in-law.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

Suben posted:

So what was the deal with Milano Collection A.T. and the WWE? I remember some stuff about him staying with Funaki in Texas and doing stuff for HBK's promotion, Gewirtz seeing him at an ROH show and being really impressed by him and then nothing ever came of it even though it seemed for a few months he was constantly on the verge of being signed.

It could have been that New Japan had called him up first and had big plans for him such as winning best of the Super Juniors in 07.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Here's something I've been wondering about for a while...

A few years ago, during one of the many overhauls of the WWE site, they decided to completely drop kayfabe and start reporting not only on WWE backstage news, but also other feds as well. Like TNA hiring someone new or Ring of Honor starting a tournament. I'm assuming they were trying to keep people from checking out sites like Observer, Bleacher Report, Cageside Seats, etc by providing them with all that insider information right now their own site. Does anyone else remember this?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Here's something I've been wondering about for a while...

A few years ago, during one of the many overhauls of the WWE site, they decided to completely drop kayfabe and start reporting not only on WWE backstage news, but also other feds as well. Like TNA hiring someone new or Ring of Honor starting a tournament. I'm assuming they were trying to keep people from checking out sites like Observer, Bleacher Report, Cageside Seats, etc by providing them with all that insider information right now their own site. Does anyone else remember this?

I remember it, everything was so weird about it. Then it disappeared as quickly as it showed up

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
I think that lasted literally like 48 hours or something. It was just before the Cole takeover, right?

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
It was there for a few weeks actually. Industry News

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It's still up if you know where to look.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

It's still up if you know where to look.
...okay. Where do you look?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Wojtek posted:

...okay. Where do you look?

Sorry I was on my phone, but yeah:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/industrynews/10085110

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
I love that WWE is crediting LordsOfPain.net :laffo:

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I remember they had a blurb about King of Trios on loving WWE.com. poo poo was Cray-J.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Perigryn posted:

Triple H may be a egotistical dick but he's shown that he does have a decent head on his shoulders for the business and that at least managed to impress Bruno enough to say that he got along well enough with Vince McMahon's son-in-law.

I really hope this is true, and that his current hard-on for bodybuilders is more because Vince is looking over his shoulder and not because he's dumb enough to think that you can't be a star or a draw unless you're in perfect sync with Vince's preferred aesthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

I really hope this is true, and that his current hard-on for bodybuilders is more because Vince is looking over his shoulder and not because he's dumb enough to think that you can't be a star or a draw unless you're in perfect sync with Vince's preferred aesthetics.

I should hope he doesn't believe that, since his best bud HBK (and Bret) broke the ceiling for non-bodybuilders to be in the main event.