Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well i guess that makes it obvious why she wanted good clothes for climbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one to just now notice that Ysengrin is missing an ear?

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Migishu posted:

Probably :P. There's been a lot of close-ups of Ysengrin's head that showed the missing ear. Maybe someday we'll learn how he lost it Coyote ate it.

Anyways, av time!

Also, thought I'd do this one as I was going through the archives:

"Symbol's a little wonky, Carver."

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Migishu posted:

That's been gone since we first saw him.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=272

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
What a gorgeous page.

As much as I wonder if Annie's pride is about to go before a fall, it's nice to see her and Ysengrin getting along. Big guy could use a friend.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I'd almost forgotten Coyote had gotten very Jungian about Ysengrin at one point. Powerful stuff lurks in the Forest.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

This page. :swoon:

That bottom panel is fantastic. Annie really missed Ysengrin. And Ysengrin isn't mauling her!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
How far we've come.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 11, 2012

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Probably :P. There's been a lot of close-ups of Ysengrin's head that showed the missing ear. Maybe someday we'll learn how he lost it Coyote ate it.

I think Coyote used one of those bands on him, like the one that was on Annie's wrist. After all, Ysengrin seems to know how those work- maybe from first hand experience.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suspect the ear was lost in an incident with the Court - one of the Treatises has a bismuth symbol over the missing ear.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

MikeJF posted:

I suspect the ear was lost in an incident with the Court - one of the Treatises has a bismuth symbol over the missing ear.

For reference.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Just make yourself at home, jeez. Reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehTOpWW9tF4&t=55s

idonotlikepeas posted:

How far we've come.

:allears:
Seeing all those in a row is getting me a little bit verklempt

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Now she's friends with TWO wild dog demons who tried to kill her.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Haledjian posted:

Now she's friends with TWO wild dog demons who tried to kill her.

It's becoming a bit of a habit, isn't it?

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Daaang, good eye there. Speaking of which, I just noticed that Coyote literally has his eye on Annie in that treatise!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Rey's gonna be jealous if you're getting that friendly with a real wolf, Annie.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I can't shake the feeling that Ysengrin looks... younger somehow.

Also, if Coyote is Mark Hamill as the Joker, does that make Ysengrin Harley? :v:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Edmond Dantes posted:

Also, if Coyote is Mark Hamill as the Joker, does that make Ysengrin Harley? :v:

"You didn't taaake Surma's life, silly! She gaaave it to ya!"
                           /

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Kevin Conroy would make a fine Ysengrin.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I kinda hear Ysengrin's voice as Goliath from Gargoyles.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Edmond Dantes posted:

His snout is shorter and he looks fluffier. It gives the effect of making him look a bit more friendly, a Ysengrin you can be buds with as opposed to a Ysengrin who will completely lose his poo poo on you for spanking Coyote.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I guess Annie grew on him? Once he got past the whole HUMANS RARR thing (because Coyote told him to :v: ) and he actually interacted with her.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Shugojin posted:

I guess Annie grew on him?

Vice-versa, in panel 2.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Waffleopolis posted:

I kinda hear Ysengrin's voice as Goliath from Gargoyles.

Keith David (Goliath) is a pretty good choice, yeah. Kevin Michael Richardson is kinda how I have him in my head.

(Yeah, I know, two Jokers as Coyote and Ysengrin, though I don't read Yssy as KMR's Joker. Just his speaking voice.)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I hear Ysengrin voiced by Steve Blum.

I don't have that much imagination. :saddowns:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

I know, but I only just noticed it. I went back and checked all the archive posts and voila...

Observant--

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Once he got past the whole HUMANS RARR thing (because Coyote told him to :v: )

She's not totally human, too. That might help. Fire sprite is forest territory.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's also funny to go back through the comic and see all the shake lines around Ysengrin. I don't recall seeing them in a while. Maybe he's gotten used to his condition?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Hard to check from my phone, but how many of those shake lines are from rage?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Brainamp posted:

It's also funny to go back through the comic and see all the shake lines around Ysengrin. I don't recall seeing them in a while. Maybe he's gotten used to his condition?

It seemed to be implied by Coyote that a lot of Ysen's condition is a result of him seeing himself as weak (how others see him/how he sees himself/how he really is). So maybe having Carver around helped him work through some issues? Possibly he felt stronger after she relied on him for strength.

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
Im the last person who should be critiquing someone's anatomy, but I'm not totally sure what's going on with Annie's body here:

It looks like she's turning her spine a whole 180, and it's tripping me out. This is still a beautiful page but I'm having a hard time not thinking about it.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Zenzirouj posted:

It seemed to be implied by Coyote that a lot of Ysen's condition is a result of him seeing himself as weak (how others see him/how he sees himself/how he really is). So maybe having Carver around helped him work through some issues? Possibly he felt stronger after she relied on him for strength.

This might be close to it...the page Brainamp linked to made me just realize that Ysengrin's "condition" is actually fairly new by Court history standards :downs:. The headmaster comments "Is that you, General? What the devil have you done to yourself?". This implies that Ysengrin has only had his "body" for a relatively short time (though his insanity has been growing for a while). Since they ask where the court's medium is in the next page, this amount of time can't be any longer than since Surma left, which would have been shortly before (or maybe after?) Antimony was born (12-13 years before the first strip?).

Of course, this would also have been enough time for Ysengrin's physical wolf body to have become weak from disuse, so I guess we'll have to wait on an answer. Also, the fact that he's called "General" is kind of telling, and may have more to do with what happened between the forest and the court. Not to mention the missing ear.

The page in question: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=272

Edit: ^^^ :lol:, can't believe I missed the legs there :D

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 7, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

From a few pages later:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=274

I just realised that maybe the reason Coyote mistook Annie for Surma isn't because he's bad with people, it's because being what he is, souls are more real to him, and Annie has Surma's.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
It also seems relevant that he's very serious around "Surma," which could read as concern over rumors of her death, or simply a more natural reaction from him before he realizes there's a new potential medium to win over.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm crossposting this from the "Replace Swords with Bananas" GBS thread

Wili posted:

Thanks to this thread I have learned many things about bananas.

Sure beats a pear for an iconic fruit.

Edit: The white text box represents this thread.

Original

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So naturally I read a few pages on from there and Tom, we're missing a cursed teapot adventure, I demand the like twenty bucks I've given you back.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

1stGear posted:

So naturally I read a few pages on from there and Tom, we're missing a cursed teapot adventure, I demand the like twenty bucks I've given you back.

I just want to be able to buy a sweet Born to Heckle shirt.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

1stGear posted:

I have a feeling it's like 'the Noodle Incident', your imagination will tell a far richer story.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Not So Fast posted:

I have a feeling it's like 'the Noodle Incident', your imagination will tell a far richer story.

That's exactly what it is, but cmon dude. This is Tom we're talking about. His imagination is really kickass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Opposing Farce posted:

I just want to be able to buy a sweet Born to Heckle shirt.

Personally, I'd rather have Annie's totally sweet cropped jacket. (Is it wrong that I'm coveting a 12 year old's wardrobe?)