Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Have you contacted the people you purchased it from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Yeah, they gave me my money back, but they don't have anymore copies of the wax.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

At least you aren't out any money. Mind if I ask what track it is?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Recent vinyl scores

Altar of Plagues- White Tomb (Green)
Altar of Plagues/Year of No Light split
Urfaust/Celestial Bloodshed split (7" blue)
Fukpig/Kroh split (10" red)

Also got my eyes on the red edition of the new Wrathprayer release but Iron Bonehead say it's "available soon" and it keeps appearing and disappearing from the store. It's a nightmare!

By the way that isn't a massive crease on the inside of the Altar of Plagues vinyl, they shaded the design inside like that. Also my Urfaust/CB split is dog-eared. The sleeve is pretty flimsy anyway, but I'm pretty unimpressed, as Ván Records have been really good with shipping in the past. (Although last time it was admittedly a massive order).

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

nomapple posted:

Recent vinyl scores

Altar of Plagues- White Tomb (Green)
Altar of Plagues/Year of No Light split
Urfaust/Celestial Bloodshed split (7" blue)
Fukpig/Kroh split (10" red)

Also got my eyes on the red edition of the new Wrathprayer release but Iron Bonehead say it's "available soon" and it keeps appearing and disappearing from the store. It's a nightmare!

By the way that isn't a massive crease on the inside of the Altar of Plagues vinyl, they shaded the design inside like that. Also my Urfaust/CB split is dog-eared. The sleeve is pretty flimsy anyway, but I'm pretty unimpressed, as Ván Records have been really good with shipping in the past. (Although last time it was admittedly a massive order).

Nice finds; I'm still waiting for my copy of the AoP/YoNL split to get here since they apparently didn't ship my order at the beginning of the month like they said they would, along with a shockingly cheap copy of Altar of Plagues- Sol on yellow vinyl that I found. That White Tomb reissue looks really nice though, I was holding off since I have a copy of the Deviant Records version, but I may have to pick up a copy.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

deadking posted:

Nice finds; I'm still waiting for my copy of the AoP/YoNL split to get here since they apparently didn't ship my order at the beginning of the month like they said they would, along with a shockingly cheap copy of Altar of Plagues- Sol on yellow vinyl that I found. That White Tomb reissue looks really nice though, I was holding off since I have a copy of the Deviant Records version, but I may have to pick up a copy.

Whatever AOP had in their webshop is now all gone :( Also the shipping for that split has been pretty delayed, haha. I instabought in the hope that I would get one of the 10 coloured pressings, I was the 5th order, but they had trouble at the pressing plant, so no coloured vinyl. I don't really mind though, the artwork on the split is magnificent and the vinyl itself is good quality. drat I love that band waaay too much. Gonna have to hunt down a copy of Sol for myself I think. Off to the dark world that is Discogs...

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
does anyone know any decent shops in the greater atlanta area? i guess like a 40 or 50 mile radius? i'm stuck here in suwanee on business and would like to check some shops out but nothing looks quite worth the drive into atlanta proper.

a decent amount of punx/hardcore is a plus but i'm spoiled by an exclusively punx shop nearby me at home so it's whatever. just wanna kill time in the afternoon flipping around mostly.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 29, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ltd. to 150 copies worldwide I just received Ulver's "Nattens Madrigal". The cell pictures don't do it justice. Truly a solid package altogether!

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Arrived in the mail today. It's a beautiful thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
So all of the Americans here are probably pretty aware of how hot this summer's been (unless you're on the West coast- in which case, it's been very hot). I'm in CT, where it's often been in the mid 90's, and have begun to worry about my vinyl.

The room I keep my records in gets quite warm (not as hot as outside, though) and while I haven't noticed them getting too hot at the day's worst, I wonder if this climate's dangerous for them. My dad (who grew up in South America and had many thousands of LPs in his day) told me to be concerned, and I'm taking his advice to heart and mounting an AC in that room today (also because my guitars are in that room, and those really don't like heat). But given the number of collections sitting in attics and whatnot, I have to wonder- what is the upper limit of temperature tolerance for these things? I imagine that how they're stored and how much pressure they're under would probably have a big effect too.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

It's pretty much don't stick them in the light or an oven and they'll probably be fine especially with an AC.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Blendy posted:

Arrived in the mail today. It's a beautiful thing.

The sleeve of that record is really nice. Super sturdy which is so weird to me that big bands that run independently make such flimsy packaging and then Phil Elverum just makes the best.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Just for the hell of it, here's some cool stuff I've gotten recently:

Beach House - s/t
Neon Neon - Stainless Style
Sleep - Dopesmoker

The Flaming Lips - Hear It Is - First pressing, was sealed when I got it.

And the newest Graveface Record Club package.

I really wanted to go to Goner Records when I was in Memphis the other day, but didn't get the chance. I'm kind of glad, now, since I'm kinda broke at the moment.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

WASDF posted:

The sleeve of that record is really nice. Super sturdy which is so weird to me that big bands that run independently make such flimsy packaging and then Phil Elverum just makes the best.

Well from what my friend (Transistor Rhythm) has told me Phil is somewhat fanatical about his releases and will only release what he thinks is a beautiful and well constructed total package (which is why I didn't have to worry if the 2nd run of pressing would suddenly become black vinyl instead of the clear cloudy one). If I recall Transistor is friends or at least has some relationship with Phil but I can't really speak for him so maybe he'll post in here again and inform us more about Phil and records.

Also Surfingelectrode that Neon Neon record is fun. Good buy.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

It's pretty much don't stick them in the light or an oven and they'll probably be fine especially with an AC.
As a Louisiana native that finds 90 degrees laughable, I agree

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I just converted our temperature to faren fahernhi American.

It can reach 113+ degrees here. Never had a problem.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Good to hear about the temperature thing. I got a package today:

It was a day earlier than I expected (though a weekend later than it was supposed to get here, since UPS accidentally shipped it to the wrong state at the last minute). Both pieces are really well put together, despite their simplicity (just a gatefold and an LP- or two, in Swim's case- inside). The crappy lighting doesn't really do justice to just how beautifully printed they are. Here are the gatefolds for Swim and Andorra, respectively.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

Backing up how gorgeous this gatefold is, I can't tell on the photo if yours is the same but my version of Swim has raised glossy indents for the pattern as well. It's one of the record covers I always pull out when trying to convince people why I collect records with one of my reasons being 'cos dey soh pretty'.

It does essentially make you look like some kind of shiny obsessed magpie mind, but I can live with that.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Chumpion posted:

Backing up how gorgeous this gatefold is, I can't tell on the photo if yours is the same but my version of Swim has raised glossy indents for the pattern as well. It's one of the record covers I always pull out when trying to convince people why I collect records with one of my reasons being 'cos dey soh pretty'.

It does essentially make you look like some kind of shiny obsessed magpie mind, but I can live with that.

So does mine. I was really impressed how nicely printed that whole thing was. I'm glad I bought it at a show and got in autographed.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
To add to the glass/heat record fixing method.
You don't want to do it any longer than you absolutely have to, to reduce groove damage. I would do this experiment to get it perfect....
I would take a worthless record and purposely warp it and let it cool to a natural temp. Then, when you are ready to fix the record you want to keep, I'd do the test record first, to help gauge the time better, because once it's hot enough to flatten, every bit of time after is extra unneeded groove damage. I might even do multiple test records, and they need to be the same weight as the keeper record.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
You guys, I've got a record that's a little warped. Do you think the glass thing will work on it? Here's a picture of it:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

That's the finest looking ash tray I've ever seen.

Still waiting on my Glass Candy and Chromatics records. But was up in Milwaukee this week and got a Jacuzzi Boys record and some 7"s (Smoke Fairies and Cecilia accompagnee par les ennuis).

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
The new Animal Collective record, Centipede Hz, is up for preorder at Domino.

From the email:

Animal Collective's new album Centipede Hz is now available for pre-order in three physical formats from their new online store! All pre-orders come with an exclusive bonus DVD featuring super high resolution audio of Centipede Hz and live videos from the band's 2011 show in Prospect Park Brooklyn, New York. Here are the details...

Limited Edition Deluxe 2xLP
- 180 GM 2xLP vinyl
- Deluxe Silver Foil 'Tip-on' Gatefold Sleeve
- Printed Inner Sleeves
- MP3/WAV Download Card (16 bit / 44.1khz)
- Limited press of 5000 N.A. / 2500 UK/EU
- Bonus DVD (also available in the retail version)

Standard 2xLP
- 150 GM 2xLP vinyl
- Gatefold Sleeve
- Printed Inner Sleeves
- MP3/WAV Download Card (16 bit / 44.1khz)
- Bonus DVD (pre-order exclusive while supplies last)

Compact Disc
- Deluxe First Press CD Packaged In Silver Foil CD Gatefold Wallet
- Bonus DVD (pre-order exclusive while supplies last)

All formats come with a pre-order exclusive BONUS DVD containing the following:
-DVD playback of Centipede Hz (high res 2 channel PCM audio mix - 24 bit / 96 khz)
-24 bit / 96 khz resolution audio WAV files (ROM data session PC / Mac)
-DVD playback of live video excerpts from the band's July 2011 Prospect Park Brooklyn show (high res 2 channel PCM audio mix - 24 bit / 44.1 khz)
-HD video files (ROM data session PC / Mac)
PLEASE NOTE: The Bonus DVD comes with the Limited Edition Deluxe 2xLP in retail stores, but not with the Standard 2xLP or CD.

http://www.dominorecordco.com/centipedehz

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

For you guys talking about warped records, the single best thing you can do is get a decent record clamp. Most methods to "restore" a warped record will result in significant degradation of sound quality, whereas a record clamp won't. It won't work on everything, but it will have a positive effect on moderately warped records. The link below is fine, but you can find loads on Audiogon, or pay millions of dollars at a local audio-phile shop.

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/puck.html

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I'm helping someone sell a record collection and I could use some pointers. Most of it is some record of the month classical music collection from the "musical heritage society". I know they're not valuable but they need to be sold and I'm not sure how to bundle them. Would they sell better grouped by composer or by collection number?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chumpion posted:

Backing up how gorgeous this gatefold is, I can't tell on the photo if yours is the same but my version of Swim has raised glossy indents for the pattern as well.

Umm...I think so. It has a glossy/matte texture pattern. I'm going to go ahead and concur with you.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
MHS is best sold by weight. If I were you I'd probably try to just dump the whole lot and not bother doing small sets. However, nobody's trying to run the whole MHS discog so if you're going to bundle it then do it by composer.

Outside of a small number of LPs (and I mean small) classical collectors basically ignore MHS. It was a mail-order budget label. There's no shortage of recordings of major composers and collectors want specific players/conductors/performances and specific pressings. (Seriously, classical recording / record minutia is deeeep. I kept a cheat sheet in my car for awhile to keep some of it straight.)

There are some good recordings on MHS, but they're mostly not western classical. (Jajouka, Heiner Stadler, Moondog are still on my list.)

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

When doing cataloging, I've run across a couple acetates with some unreleased material. I've been hesitant to play them, as I know they have a limited number of plays due to their delicacy. What's the best way to archive them?

I've got a pair of Ortofon Pros and another pair of Stanton 680Es, but I wouldn't think that either of those are really archive quality. All my turntables are direct drive, so I'll have to use that.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
My Wrathprayer LP arrived today and it is awesome! Some of the best album art of 2012! The jacket is very high quality and ahhh it's just a really well put together vinyl. Perfect.

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!

Cannot stress enough how pleased I am with this vinyl package, the pictures definitely don't do it justice. Even though it was originally due for release in November 2011, when the detail is as good as this, it was worth the wait until it's release in June 2012.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

pork never goes bad posted:

For you guys talking about warped records, the single best thing you can do is get a decent record clamp. Most methods to "restore" a warped record will result in significant degradation of sound quality, whereas a record clamp won't. It won't work on everything, but it will have a positive effect on moderately warped records. The link below is fine, but you can find loads on Audiogon, or pay millions of dollars at a local audio-phile shop.

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/puck.html

Now this is a sensible record weight, some I've seen out there are so heavy they must be doing damage to the spindle bearings.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Yeah, too heavy is a problem. There are some ghetto solutions, but they tend to throw balance off, but it's really worth it to get something proper and sensible.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
So my band is approaching the release of our vinyl and we have some awesome promo stuff for it. Check it out!

https://vimeo.com/45274785

This video quickly documents my friend's (also a goon) new poster company, Hellish Things, as they make the poster that comes with the vinyl.

We also have some photos of everything that the vinyl comes with.

More photos on our site, where you can also preorder it. Preorder price is $20 but when it comes out on July 10th it'll be $25. It's a translucent 180 gram blood red vinyl, hand made screen printed poster, full color insert, individually numbered (limited run of 250), digital download code.

The vinyl and jacket were made through Pirates Press.

This is huge for me and I couldn't be more excited.

http://www.spacescold.com
http://www.hellishthings.com

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

I'm buying a copy right now. Singularity and The Crown of the Sun are great; keep it up!

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

Wronkos posted:

I'm buying a copy right now. Singularity and The Crown of the Sun are great; keep it up!

Thanks a lot man! I really appreciate it.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Yeah, Singularity sold me. I threw down $25 instead of $20 to give a little extra support. Where are you guys based out of?

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

mono posted:

Yeah, Singularity sold me. I threw down $25 instead of $20 to give a little extra support. Where are you guys based out of?

Thanks! We're based in Brooklyn, NY.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Ohms posted:

Thanks! We're based in Brooklyn, NY.

Bah. Well let me know if you ever make it as far as Chicago :P
So excited to get my copy!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Ohms that is gorgeous and that poster looks amazing, so glad I jumped on this.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
That's a really nice looking package. Just bought a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

How limited are they?