Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Warcabbit posted:

FR-S advantage: Handling, potential automatic (Life is a commute. Two hours in bumper to bumper will hurt you. I've lived with a six in the past. I can do it again.), and pretty much everything else.

Anyone have any good, solid thoughts here?

I've driven both manuals and automatics in packed rush hour traffic before. It's pretty much a non-issue as long as you don't have some kind of leg press torture machine clutch.

That said, for an everyday car that would probably never see the track ever? I'd get the Focus ST for the practicality and low down turbo torque for overtaking etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I have driven manuals in packed traffic, used to have a first year Matrix XRS. Hurt my knee pretty badly about that time, too. The automatic has let it heal.

You can stop laughing now.

Really. It was a good car.

Because anything you can humiliate your boss in his lime green M3 in is a good car.

Yes, the torque is a strong consideration. It's not overtaking. It's launching into traffic from entrance ramps with stop signs that concern me.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I had some time to kill yesterday while waiting at the Mitsu dealer, so I walked next door to the Subaru dealer and they had two BRZs there. I took some pictures, but unfortunately my awesome android camera didn't want to focus, so most of them are crap.

The good stuff I did see is there is a ton of room for a FMIC:

Also there does seem to be some room between the front of the engine and the radiator for a smallish turbo if it's packaged right. Maybe moving the radiator forward a tiny bit will give some more room.

I fit exceptionally well, too. I'm 6'2 and would have to move the seat probably two or three clicks forward from all the way back to feel comfortable driving. The interior of the BRZ felt very polished and high quality to me. Granted this was a fully loaded model, so it had the alcantara seating with red stitching and all the nice bits here and there. The seats were extremely comfortable and the driving position is perfect.

They weren't giving test drives, but I really didn't want to get into all of that anyway. So from my limited experience I'm very impressed with these cars. They look much wider and actually bigger in person than pictures on the internet show. It is extremely low though. (obviously)

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
My nearest Subaru dealer is on its second lot BRZ. Both have been base models with the auto. My nearest Scion dealership has such a lovely website I can't even tell if they have any FR-S in stock. Ugh, shouldn't be this hard to test drive a $25k car.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Q_res posted:

My nearest Subaru dealer is on its second lot BRZ. Both have been base models with the auto. My nearest Scion dealership has such a lovely website I can't even tell if they have any FR-S in stock. Ugh, shouldn't be this hard to test drive a $25k car.

Well that's because they just came out. Give it 6 months and you'll be able to walk into a dealer and pick up an FRS easy.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to advise my buddy into this instead of a C5Z06 for daily driving duty. We went into a scion dealership, who laughed in our face when we asked for a test drive, than said to get one they need a $1000 deposit, and in 10 months we'll see the car and he can decide if he wants to buy it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Scion dealership laughed in your face? Wow, ridiculous.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Trying to advise my buddy into this instead of a C5Z06 for daily driving duty. We went into a scion dealership, who laughed in our face when we asked for a test drive, than said to get one they need a $1000 deposit, and in 10 months we'll see the car and he can decide if he wants to buy it.

What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They did that to me also in Australia, probably because I look like the type of guy who is joyriding a car I'm not intending to buy. Half true I guess.

But really, being forced to put in an order and a deposit before I can even drive the car? Yeah, I'm not doing that. I managed to convince the guy to let me take it out but I think dealers are fully aware the cars will sell themselves so they don't need to hand the keys to any jack off that walks in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

But really, being forced to put in an order and a deposit before I can even drive the car? Yeah, I'm not doing that. I managed to convince the guy to let me take it out but I think dealers are fully aware the cars will sell themselves so they don't need to hand the keys to any jack off that walks in.

I put a deposit down, but it's only $500 and it's fully refundable. It basically got me in line for the car. The dealer I've got it at currently has an auto one sitting out front and I need to see if they'll let me take it for a spin since I've already thrown some money at them.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I worked my rear end off to get this guy to consider a car not with a v8, banking on him driving the car and loving the feel of light weight low power. We're both young and dirtbag looking but have plenty of money from just-completed private sector work in the middle east, so in a crowd of young guys swarming the car we were the only ones ready to put down a big deposit that day. Bothered me quite a bit and im looking up suburu options.

Minor derail: Anyone driven a C5 Z06? will this probably be a better performance car anyway? I'd rather ask here than another thread because i feel like you guys are the type of performance car buyer that "gets it" as far as handling dynamics go.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 4, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Minor derail: Anyone driven a C5 Z06? will this probably be a better performance car anyway? I'd rather ask here than another thread because i feel like you guys are the type of performance car buyer that "gets it" as far as handling dynamics go.

Very few cars can make up for the power and grip advantage the C5Z have. Under a decent driver, I don't see an 86 keeping up with a car with twice the horsepower under most conditions.
The total experience is good, but honestly, the best thing I liked about mine was the exterior looks.
Ride: stiffer than it needed to be. My C6Z rides much better.
Handling: Mild understeer balanced against available power oversteer. Strong braking. Really good brake feel, too, which I don't have in the C6, weirdly.
Acceleration: pretty drat good.
Feel: Pretty bad through the wheel. :pcgaming: power steering :pcgaming:
Ergonomics: big bus wheel, weird stock shift knob and tedious shifter. Heavy but very usable clutch. Seating position worked well. Seat is very unsupportive.
Sound: stock exhaust is pretty quiet, but the V8 sounds good.

I have a $2500 944, and it's a very sweet driving experience. I would easily say I enjoy driving it more than I did the C5Z. You're knocking out perfectly timed up and down shifts in traffic, squirming the tires a bit at just 35 mph, really engaging all the time. The C5 is too fast for its own good and way overcapable for around town. It's only good for accelerating.

I was selling mine for $20k. Too bad stars didn't align on your friend.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 4, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

fknlo posted:

I put a deposit down, but it's only $500 and it's fully refundable. It basically got me in line for the car. The dealer I've got it at currently has an auto one sitting out front and I need to see if they'll let me take it for a spin since I've already thrown some money at them.
You paid them money and they still won't let you test-drive the car? Jesus, what the gently caress is wrong with these people?

Know what the Porsche dealer says when you ask to test-drive the new launch car they don't have any quantity of yet and know full well you're going to drive the piss out of as soon as you're out of sight? They say "have fun" when they hand you the keys.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The Scion dealer let me test-drive the FR-S with no deposit or anything, but hosed up on the reservation (I reserved the manual, which I watched drive off the lot as I pulled in for my appointment) and the salesman had to drive for the first half of the test-drive for some bizarre reason (I assume so I couldn't take the car where I wanted).

When I was buying my Mustang, the 2011s were just coming in. The salesman called me as soon as a manual V6 hit the lot (not mine) and told me and my Dad to take it around and have fun. I think the only other car I've ever test-driven where the salesman has insisted on riding along was the Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

grover posted:

You paid them money and they still won't let you test-drive the car? Jesus, what the gently caress is wrong with these people?

They don't let you take out cars that already have someone elses name on them. They had one that they'd just taken off the truck the day I put the deposit down and they wouldn't even let me sit in it because the owner was picking it up that day. I'm ok with this because I don't want anyone taking mine for a joyride before I get to the dealer either.

They were supposed to call me when they got one in that I could test drive, so I just assumed that the one they have now was reserved. It's been there all week and it's an automatic according to their website so it might be fair game. I just need to stop being lazy and go up there. Autos seem to be sitting on the lots for a little while before someone grabs them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Solkanar512 posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

I know, right? Why would anyone discourage someone from getting a C5 Z06?!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
And speaking of test drives, finally got one! Sales guy told me to drive it like it was mine so I did. The car is more than fast enough for me and drove great. Doesn't sound as good as my Focus stock, but I doubt it'll stay stock for too long. Just need to not suck at work this week and I should be able to get one. My buddy that has a '12 Mustang GT drove it as well. He's looking for something that gets better gas mileage and is still fun to drive and really liked it. I wouldn't be shocked if he sold the GT and got one after talking to him.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

davebo posted:

I know, right? Why would anyone discourage someone from getting a C5 Z06?!

Seriously. I don't think anything at a C5Z's price point can beat it. The temptation to turn my GTO and some cash into a C5Z is overwhelming.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

fknlo posted:

My buddy that has a '12 Mustang GT drove it as well. He's looking for something that gets better gas mileage and is still fun to drive and really liked it. I wouldn't be shocked if he sold the GT and got one after talking to him.
??????
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=7&year=2013&make=Scion&model=FR-S&srchtyp=ymm
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2012&year2=2012&make=Ford&model=Mustang&srchtyp=ymm

We're talking about a difference of $400-$600 per year... not counting for the depreciation hit he'd be taking in selling the Mustang and buying another brand new car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hog Obituary posted:

??????
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=7&year=2013&make=Scion&model=FR-S&srchtyp=ymm
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2012&year2=2012&make=Ford&model=Mustang&srchtyp=ymm

We're talking about a difference of $400-$600 per year... not counting for the depreciation hit he'd be taking in selling the Mustang and buying another brand new car.

Money itself isn't the issue. He's mostly over the Mustang and actually has a 20ish mile commute to work now instead of living a few minutes away. In real world driving he gets maybe 15mpg without getting on it in the Mustang. It gets slightly better on the highway but it's really bad in city driving.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You say money isn't the issue but your friend is still a moron for taking that kind of a bath on a car.

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012

grover posted:

Know what the Porsche dealer says when you ask to test-drive the new launch car they don't have any quantity of yet and know full well you're going to drive the piss out of as soon as you're out of sight? They say "have fun" when they hand you the keys.

Pretty sure the GT86 is more of a performance car than an automatic Boxster though ...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bovril Delight posted:

You say money isn't the issue but your friend is still a moron for taking that kind of a bath on a car.

He won't be taking much of a bath. He got it slightly used at a decent price and should be able to get more than he currently owes if he sells it privately. That and a couple more grand down on the FR-S and he'll be able to get partial ownership of an airplane and the FR-S for around the same price he currently pays monthly on the Mustang. He's not great with money but makes enough of it that he's able to get by.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Jalopnik posted this on their site - a really well done, high quality video review of the GT86/FRS/BRZ.

http://jalopnik.com/5923442/from-ba...dium=socialflow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYrvhkIivgA

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Starts slow, but has really good segments in it. And the guy can drive.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for that. I really enjoyed it. There should be a thread with nothing but links to HD streaming car footage. I'd never sleep.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kimbo305 posted:

Starts slow, but has really good segments in it. And the guy can drive.

Was it you asking if anyone was getting a 86/BRZ to my local circuit? Yes, it's now been done. V-Sport (Local tuner) and car magazines - The 86 did a flat 1:13, vs 1:13.4 for a stock MY11 WRX

Probably more to be got as the cars were basically new, boxer motors tend to perform better when they have a few kms on them.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Great video, even with an accent he communicates what the car is like so well. Excellent production.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
ECUTek has released info on their first tune. Looks to gain 18 horsepower with just the tune on an otherwise stock car.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7480&page=10

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Wow, nice numbers. I still hope they can tune that big 4k torque dip out without needing a turbo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Was it you asking if anyone was getting a 86/BRZ to my local circuit? Yes, it's now been done. V-Sport (Local tuner) and car magazines - The 86 did a flat 1:13, vs 1:13.4 for a stock MY11 WRX

Yep, it was me. Still quite surprised that it can do that well. And where do the older WRXes line up?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
All the TRD bits have been listed for sale by the uk distributor here, the front calipers are a cool £8k

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_11/4026

Although from what it looks like the standard calipers are pretty simmilar to the old aisn ones on the IS200 anyway.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

a lada bad posts posted:

All the TRD bits have been listed for sale by the uk distributor here, the front calipers are a cool £8k

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_11/4026

Although from what it looks like the standard calipers are pretty simmilar to the old aisn ones on the IS200 anyway.

That looks like it's for front and back actually, but still an insane price to pay for brakes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kimbo305 posted:

Yep, it was me. Still quite surprised that it can do that well. And where do the older WRXes line up?

I've done 1:12.8 in an 06 (Death or glory lap) and an 09 has done 1:11.3 - which given the consistent times the MY11's are doing of 1:13's there has to be a doubt about, Subaru probably slipped a motor tester a warmed over "stock" car

The older GC's seemed to do about 1:15 to 1:14 depending on tyres.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 6, 2012

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Im a tech at a VW/Subaru dealership, and got to unwrap and test drive the second BRZ we got in. A little under powered at the top end(nothing a turbo won't fix) and the transmission is pretty noisy, but the gear box feels great, the interior is nearly perfect, and it handles like it's on rails. One thing I found to be really awesome was that the hood weighs all of about 10 pounds.

Took it for a 25 mi test drive.

I believe this is the limited model.

SG-83
Sep 6, 2004

I guess it's not just a dog thing!
I can't say I like the spoiler on the Limited model. It looks...out of place. There should be a spoiler delete option.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SG-83 posted:

I can't say I like the spoiler on the Limited model. It looks...out of place. There should be a big gently caress off wing.

I fixed this for you.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

SG-83 posted:

I can't say I like the spoiler on the Limited model. It looks...out of place. There should be a spoiler delete option.

It looks worse in person, completely ruins the lines of the car from any angle. The TRD duckbill is about a million times better

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

interwhat posted:

Im a tech at a VW/Subaru dealership, and got to unwrap and test drive the second BRZ we got in. A little under powered at the top end(nothing a turbo won't fix) and the transmission is pretty noisy, but the gear box feels great, the interior is nearly perfect, and it handles like it's on rails. One thing I found to be really awesome was that the hood weighs all of about 10 pounds.

Took it for a 25 mi test drive.

I believe this is the limited model.

Is that a person attempting to use the backseat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

SG-83 posted:

I didn't like it at first and I'm generally anti spoiler, but it's actually kind of grown on me.

That's a bad angle though... it seems much less intrusive from most other angles imo.

That said, I wouldn't mind a spoiler delete option too as the more I think about getting one of these (assuming I can get it for less than MSRP), I think about how nice some of the limited options would be.

• Locked thread