Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is there any explanation as to why they are including a KOTAK episode other than because it's (barely) in English? I couldn't think of a bigger waste of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Because they were able to go to the US thanks to the show being finally released overseas on Kotaku. The trip was made to see if the Kotaku run created an American fanbase. It makes sense to show the Japanese fans what the American fans were getting.

ETA: The hint for the next episode is "Gan____" which can also be read as "Gun____".

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 6, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I guess? If the diskotek release had an untranslated episode I would be asking the same question. At this point they must know about all the goon translated episodes on youtube with 100k+ views each and figure that the fandom goes far beyond the people who watched it on Kotaku.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Buying the gently caress out of that DVD.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

zari-gani posted:

"Abarenbou Tengu" is the original Japanese version of Zombie Nation. At first I thought maybe this means he's going to play the American version, but it's probably going to be the Tengu version and they picked it because of the USA theme.

I'd love if it was the American version just to see Arino's reaction to the main character being replaced with a random dead guys head.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Because they were able to go to the US thanks to the show being finally released overseas on Kotaku. The trip was made to see if the Kotaku run created an American fanbase. It makes sense to show the Japanese fans what the American fans were getting.

ETA: The hint for the next episode is "Gan____" which can also be read as "Gun____".
A Gundam Game, Maybe.

I really hope they got the hint when KOTAK gave up the rights and the show's still popular enoguh to run a DVD release of it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ConanThe3rd posted:

A Gundam Game, Maybe.

Also possible is Gun.Smoke.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
That was another great episode, guys! I've never played any of the Wonder Boy games, but Monster World actually look pretty fun (and somewhat dickish at parts, but that's retro gaming for you). :)

Also, I kinda hate this episode for somewhat referencing Ninja Gaiden a couple times with the little segment about Haggleman 3 in RGC (I'm not spoiling this because it's not super important to the challenge) and Toujima once again blocking the sun like he did in the NG episode, because I've been trying to beat the game for the past few days and Stage 6 is a loving rear end in a top hat. :argh: I actually haven't seen the Ninja Gaiden episode itself, but I imagine Arino wasn't yelling the Japanese equivalent(s?) of "gently caress!" every time he died of a stupid death caused by an enemy knocking him into a pit.

zari-gani posted:

Full details about the GCCX in USA DVD have been released!
That sounds amazing! I think I said this earlier in the thread, but I hope that the DVDs were getting do well enough where they will ask you to do an official translation for the USA Trip DVD. :)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

zari-gani posted:

Gunstar Heroes would be cool.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Sorta related, but this was sold at the same event. A handmade GCCX fan comic by Kibe, each copy signed by Kibe.

Only 300 yen! But unlike the King erasers, it did not sell out.

Holy poo poo. I medically need to read this ASAP or I will literally die.

What the hell is with that cover pic? It looks like the Full Metal Alchemist dude, but with a pen. Please tell me that's not meant to be Kibe himself. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Oh hey, look: "Music CD LAST CONTINUE English version"
Hmmmmm, now who could Producer Kan have asked to translate Last Continue to English...? :j:

I'm really looking forward to getting this set. I'm glad I pre-ordered it

Gutcruncher posted:

Holy crap, the DVD challenge is loving DIE HARD ARCADE?! I hope Kibe gets to be player 2 and just nerds about how awesome the Saturn was the whole time.

This must be part of some American movie theme they're doing.

7c Nickel posted:

That's what my money is on. It's been a big hole in their games list for a while.

Edit: I did a bit of digging to see if I could find any more images from Kibe's comic but I did stumble into one of the iPhone games. Does this look familiar to anyone?

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 6, 2012

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Just to clarify a little bit the DVD Exclusive challenge IS Die Hard Arcade. That is, it's Dynamite Deka. If it was Dynamite Cop!, then it'd be a challenge for Dynamite Deka 2. Not to mention, it'd b a challenge on a Dreamcast if it was Deka 2/Cop.

Just making sure that's clear so everyone can look forward to seeing Arino play Die Hard Arcade, and not the one that takes place on a boat (Deka 2/Cop). After all, there is a difference (besides the boat).

:eng101:

...I kinda feel a bit odd posting like that. :smith: Well...I was a Sega kid growing up, so maybe it's just like a little bit of Kibe. :unsmith:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Just finished watching the new ep and goddamn, he really did stick up all those stickers. I really hope the writer dude said that was okay beforehand... otherwise he probably volunteered his collection for this challenge on the one condition that Arino not use the special ones. :geno:

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, but I figure if he honestly has the entire set, he probably didn't mind that much letting Arino use what were presumably his duplicates. It also sounded like some of the ones Arino was allowed to use were in pretty bad condition, so I don't think there was too much love lost there.

You obviously don't know how weird collectors get about their more unique stuff. :v: The ones that Arino used throughout the game would have been dupes, yeah. But he said right at the start that "there are ones you really truly cannot stick up". And I think his notes said that it's literally impossible to find ones in good condition. Or something.

At least Arino was nice to Tsuruoka, that was definitely cool of him. :unsmith: Tsuruoka's usually the most extroverted AD in front of the camera but the poor guy seriously looked like he wanted to commit ritual suicide right there.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Drop in a token, look at a duck

Random Stranger posted:

I'm really looking forward to getting this set. I'm glad I pre-ordered it

Seeing the disc specs convinced me to open an Amazon Japan account and order a copy for myself, even though I can't speak or read a word of Japanese. Now if only the Discotek preorders would open...

Thanks for the new episode, crew!

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I really want this DVD, but I'm pretty low on money. How much do the GCCX dvd's usually cost after launch? Do they become rare releases that skyrocket in cost?

Oh, and thanks for the new episode. Is it just me, or did Arino seem really tired throughout most of it?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Japanese DVD prices are loving crazy.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Thanks as always, team.

Episode was pretty good, mostly made me jones for some Wonder Boy. Might play Dragon's Trap on the weekend and pick up the Monster Land collection on XBLA some time in the future.

The contents of the GCCX in USA set make it pretty appealing but the only other no-English-at-all DVD I have is a DBZ special double feature thing that came with a comic magazine and cost me a fiver so the $60-ish for this would be a bit of a step up. Die Hard Arcade challenge is super tempting though; it was one of the games I happened to pick up with my first Saturn back in 2003-4 and I have good memories playing it with my brother.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I know that the prices are generally considered ridiculous to American consumers, but what I'm wondering is if the prices of the GCCX dvd's will go even higher after they launch? Am I look at a difference of $70 now versus $150 later. Are they rare enough that the price goes up dramatically after launch?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Vlaphor posted:

I know that the prices are generally considered ridiculous to American consumers, but what I'm wondering is if the prices of the GCCX dvd's will go even higher after they launch? Am I look at a difference of $70 now versus $150 later. Are they rare enough that the price goes up dramatically after launch?

Quickly looking at one of the places I usually buy used games from, most of the sets seem to have hung around the $60-$80 price range. I don't know what the prices were new, but based on what little I know about Japanese home media I'd assume they were also around there.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

The first thing I thought of (which makes it automatically wrong) was "GunCon". I know Arino has played PSX games before, but it looks like they use an LCD monitor. In order to get a light gun game to work, they'd have to dust off an old CRT TV. Talk about retro! :downs:

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Should've known better than to volunteer your stuff like that to Arino. He has the kind of personality that he just don't give a gently caress.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So with all the talk about the DVD, I have a quick question: is this going to see a non-Japan release? Or do I need to have up, like, seventy bucks to buy this thing?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Frankly the US DVD release is going to be at least $50 and unless zari-gani has anything to say about it we have no idea whether or not anything else is going to be released in English. If you want the JP DVD consider it with the extra :10bux:.

Also I loved this episode! :3:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Just started watching the new GCCX episode (#143 Pilotwings Documentary). Great highlights from the live special. Hope to see this one subbed soon so all the Pilotwings stuff is done.

In the new episode(#143), Arino sees 2 people playing Magic the Gathering. It was awesome to see.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 6, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

So with all the talk about the DVD, I have a quick question: is this going to see a non-Japan release? Or do I need to have up, like, seventy bucks to buy this thing?

Pretty much. Japanese DVDs are unbelievably expensive (e.g. when it was new for them, a single season of 24 was $250US) and second-hand sales of Japanese DVDs in North America are close to non-existant. Within Japan there's a very good (usually) used market, and there's a Book Off in downtown Vancouver BC that has good prices on used DVDs, but I think the GCCX niche appeal means very few people sell theirs (I'm doing a massive DVD purge and my GCCX DVDs are one of the few Japanese DVDs I'm keeping from a collection of a few hundred).

The cheapest way to get them new is amazon.co.jp, which usually has them 15-20% off the SRP, plus deducts the 5% Japanese sales tax for you, but you have to use a trackable shipping method (which is 2000 yen minimum) so you may want to order multiple things in one go if you can. Unfortunately DVDs are one of the few things Amazon Japan will ship internationally, which limits your options.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Corridor posted:

What the hell is with that cover pic? It looks like the Full Metal Alchemist dude, but with a pen. Please tell me that's not meant to be Kibe himself. :v:

It's Kibe as Haggleman. The cover was drawn by an Indies Zero staff, by the way.

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: I did a bit of digging to see if I could find any more images from Kibe's comic but I did stumble into one of the iPhone games. Does this look familiar to anyone?

A GCCX version of the mountain climber game where you have to climb Mount Takao to meet VE Suda. That's hilarious.

univbee posted:

there's a Book Off in downtown Vancouver BC

It closed down two weeks ago due to rising rent, just like every cool store in this city :smith:

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 6, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zari-gani posted:

It closed down two weeks ago due to rising rent, just like every cool store in this city :smith:

That sucks, although I have to admit I'm not terribly surprised. At least I got to off-load a good chunk of my collection before then. I was considering hauling some DVDs down there next time I visited Vancouver, now I know I have to keep flying westward until I get to Japan proper :v:

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

quote:

Wow, it's the same situation with the DS games. You have one thing coming out in America weeks before the other thing comes out in Japan, and people wonder if it's all coming to America before any of it is even out. It's just a leeeeetle too early to tell, y'know?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vlaphor posted:

I really want this DVD, but I'm pretty low on money. How much do the GCCX dvd's usually cost after launch? Do they become rare releases that skyrocket in cost?

Not in the slightest. Besides being available for a long time (I know I saw several of the box sets on store shelves in Japan) the back market on them seems pretty typical for DVD's. I hadn't purchased any GCCX DVD's until about two years ago

FredMSloniker posted:

The GCCX in the USA box set is almost certainly not going to leave Japan and there won't be any subtitle of the new material from us any time soon.

I think I'm going to pair my shipping on the DVD with that copy of Metal Wolf Chaos I've always wanted just for the full "America!" treatment.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

Not in the slightest. Besides being available for a long time (I know I saw several of the box sets on store shelves in Japan) the back market on them seems pretty typical for DVD's. I hadn't purchased any GCCX DVD's until about two years ago

The GCCX in the USA box set is almost certainly not going to leave Japan and there won't be any subtitle of the new material from us any time soon.

I think I'm going to pair my shipping on the DVD with that copy of Metal Wolf Chaos I've always wanted just for the full "America!" treatment.

Have you seen prices of metal wolf chaos recently? It's a expensive game to acquire.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Have you seen prices of metal wolf chaos recently? It's a expensive game to acquire.

Yes, I have. :cry:

But I've been collecting all of the Japan only XBox releases and that's the last good game in that set that I'm lacking (most of the rest of what I'm missing are visual novels). The fact that it keeps going up while I dither makes me want to get it sooner rather than later.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hey if you ever find a copy or two for less than 100 bucks, just do me a favor and hook me up.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

univbee posted:

Unfortunately DVDs are one of the few things Amazon Japan will ship internationally, which limits your options.

As a proud owner of Reizouko, Arino's excessively bizarre, self-illustrated, "bilingual" food-item soap opera book, Amazon Jp will also ship books, so perhaps you can grab a new or used GCCX book or two. Perhaps one of the ones with a comic inside! Doesn't one of them have Abe's comic? That's definitely worth it.

Edit: Bomberman and the Quiz episodes are the first things that come to mind. Super Mario Bros 2 is pretty great for Toujima. Quest of Ki had some special 3D maps, too. I'd recommend 53 Stations and Shadowlands, too.
V V V V

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 7, 2012

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What are some episodes with lots of AD participation? Stuff like the mapping for Kid Icarus, the lunch contest in Densha de Go, and the pizza for Pac-Man 2? Hell, even episodes with heavy co-op like Contra would be nice.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

What are some episodes with lots of AD participation? Stuff like the mapping for Kid Icarus, the lunch contest in Densha de Go, and the pizza for Pac-Man 2? Hell, even episodes with heavy co-op like Contra would be nice.

Quiz game episodes, though perhaps you've seen those. Okhotsk has lots of Ito drawings and officer Katayama. Kid Kool kinda. I have a hunch Random Stranger could answer this better.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's TV Nihon, but Makai Mura (Ghosts & Ghouls Goblins in the US)(Makai = Underworld, Mura = Village) has a lot of interaction and planning between Arino and Sasano. Street Fighter 2 and Bomberman both have staff gauntlets.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Dr. Furious posted:

It's TV Nihon, but Makai Mura (Ghosts & Ghouls Goblins in the US)(Makai = Underworld, Mura = Village) has a lot of interaction and planning between Arino and Sasano. Street Fighter 2 and Bomberman both have staff gauntlets.

Bomberman is a pretty good episode for ADs. Arino pries into a few of their private lives and Abe is bad at videogames for a bit.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Spaz Medicine posted:

Bomberman is a pretty good episode for ADs.

DJI.

The best part of Bomberman is the serial realizations that there's no backspace.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Today I was at Fry's and on the way out I noticed one of the machines Arino used on a tamage (wish I could remember which episode): the barber cut one where you had to position a very tiny blade to cut strings holding up prizes. It was a little surreal, considering I only noticed it when I heard the whistle-stop noise from the show :v:

Didn't realize those were on the American side of the pond, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Ciaphas posted:

Today I was at Fry's and on the way out I noticed one of the machines Arino used on a tamage (wish I could remember which episode): the barber cut one where you had to position a very tiny blade to cut strings holding up prizes. It was a little surreal, considering I only noticed it when I heard the whistle-stop noise from the show :v:

Didn't realize those were on the American side of the pond, too.

Barber Cut machines are annoying as gently caress.