Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Hi there, you might remember me for the book on the unused story ideas of H.P. Lovecraft and the other book on what it means to be a grown-up.

Now I have a podcast which I genuinely think is completely different from any other podcast out there, and I wanted you all to hear it.

Welcome to Night Vale is community radio from a small desert town where things like aliens and ghosts and angels are commonplace parts of daily life. It's weird and funny and sad, and at no point do any comedians discuss their unique takes on the comedy business and life.

We have two episodes out so far. The second one, "Glow Cloud", features a song by Satellite High, who many of you probably know and like. So that's cool. Also, all of the music throughout the episodes is by SomethingAwful's own former admin Earwicker.

Here's a short excerpt on youtube so you can get a sense of what it's like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBurGwvMkCE

Here's a link to free downloads for both episodes.

Or if you're more an itunes kind of person, here's that link.

If you enjoy it, please leave a review saying so on iTunes. If you hate it, also go ahead and leave a review saying so. Live your life with freedom and integrity.

There will be new episodes on the 1st and 15th of every month, so if you like it, you can also subscribe and we'll keep sending you stuff directly from our bizarre and dangerous small town to your earholes. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

maxnmona posted:

at no point do any comedians discuss their unique takes on the comedy business and life.

Is that even allowed?

Sounds like an interesting concept, will definitely check it out.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
This rules and everyone should get into it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ugh you didn't tell me I was sharing space with a rap "artist"

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

maxnmona posted:

Welcome to Night Vale is community radio from a small desert town where things like aliens and ghosts and angels are commonplace parts of daily life. It's weird and funny and sad, and at no point do any comedians discuss their unique takes on the comedy business and life.

This is such a good idea I can't believe nothing like it already existed. Will be following this.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Downloading the first two episodes now. I'm looking forward to being entertained!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I'm excited! I can't wait to check it out, just wish I hadn't forgotten my headphones. I would love to say I was among the first to hear what I think could be a great project. Have you heard of The Truth? Your description really made me think of this, in terms of it being audio fiction.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I'm excited! I can't wait to check it out, just wish I hadn't forgotten my headphones. I would love to say I was among the first to hear what I think could be a great project. Have you heard of The Truth? Your description really made me think of this, in terms of it being audio fiction.

I have not, but it looks cool. I'll check it out.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Listened to a bit of it so far, this is going right into my playlist next to The Saint.

Strawberry Tofu
May 13, 2009
I listened to the first episode a week ago and loved it, listened to the second last night when I was trying to go to bed. My iPod was set to repeat single tracks so it played all night. I'm pretty sure I was woken up to the sound of my own screaming this morning.

That said, highly recommended. Cecil Baldwin sounds like a deeper Stephen Colbert in the first episode, so if I have anything to say beyond blind praise, it's that he should keep after that sort of sound. It sounds all the more horrifyingly possible that way.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

We have so far completely finished five episodes, and Cecil has definitely been developing the voice/character. He has a much more consistent sound and personality as the episodes go on.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
After listening to the sample I can tell it's as funny as your front page updates you used to write, so I'll be avoiding this as well.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

No One Likes Nutmeg posted:

After listening to the sample I can tell it's as funny as your front page updates you used to write, so I'll be avoiding this as well.
God freaking drat. You're just furthering the stereotype of posters with negative post counts being boring trolls.

Edit. Yeah, gave that intro a second listen and it is a bit lackluster. I really like the book so I truly believe the podcasts will be better. Is there any way you can get Justin Marquis to somehow illustrate your podcast?

GUYS STOP fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 3, 2012

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

hi guys.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer
I really like the voice you do unless that is how you really talk all the time because that would be super creepy.

This thing is like a much much better written version of the Pod F. Tompkast (Paul Tompkins podcast.) With that plodding pace you remove the element of comedy timing and it is super easy to tune out and not pay attention at all.

Please continue and try to mix up your content and add new voices to the podcast.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
This is a big loving deal!

That loving dog park!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

We went from being non-existent on the itunes charts, to being briefly in the top 50 podcasts, so thanks everyone.

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 3, 2012

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008
This is possibly the best Podcast that I have ever heard.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Enjoying episode 1 so far. It's good stuff.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]
This is amazing and I'm a huge sucker for Satellite High. Please don't ever stop what you're doing :swoon:

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

I have Commonplace Books liked on Facebook, so I saw the first episode when it hit. The last two weeks have been a long wait for episode 2. I love the paranormal weirdness, although I was a bit sad that Perfect Carlos wasn't in the second episode.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I loved the first two episodes, it's really got the feeling down of genuine sounding small-town rationalization of bizarre circumstances. It's fun being able to piece together a picture of what the town looks like from the news tidbits, like the animal pyre in the park or the opening to the subterreanean metropolis in the bowling alley. My favorite segments were the new boy scout hierarchy, the continuing adventures of the fake Apache tracker and the Coca Cola-sponsored advert. Both weather segments have been fantastic so far too.

Subscribed for sure, and looking forward to the next ep.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

The town of Night Vale is a paranormal version of Possum Lake from The Red Green Show, and the story is played out in similarly second handed fashion.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

That's really great to hear, you guys. Thanks very much.

And FuzzyPickles, don't worry, your concern will be addressed in the next episode.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Oh, and we're currently hovering just above "The New Yorker Animated Cartoons" on the Comedy Podcast charts, so I'm pretty sure we just hit the pinnacle of success.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I finished the pilot, and it's a very enjoyable and entertaining listen. I'm going to listen to the second one on my commute.

On that note, I heard a sample from Ditmas (by far my favorite Disparition song from Neukrk), but I didn't recognize the others. Do you plan on using your existing songs, creating bespoke music for the show, or some mixture of the two?

I'm kind of hoping it's the second because the idea of a "Music from Night Vale" original music album greatly appeals to me.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

E4C85D38 posted:

I finished the pilot, and it's a very enjoyable and entertaining listen. I'm going to listen to the second one on my commute.

On that note, I heard a sample from Ditmas (by far my favorite Disparition song from Neukrk), but I didn't recognize the others. Do you plan on using your existing songs, creating bespoke music for the show, or some mixture of the two?

I'm kind of hoping it's the second because the idea of a "Music from Night Vale" original music album greatly appeals to me.

All of the music was stuff he'd already released. Basically I downloaded all of his albums, then separated the songs into playlists based on "mood". Then when I needed to score a section, I would go to the playlist for the mood I wanted and go through them until I found one that worked for the bit.

We haven't really talked about it, but I don't think him composing some new music for the show is out of the question.

mustermark
Apr 26, 2009

"Mind" is a tool invented by the universe to see itself; but it can never see all of itself, for much the same reason that you can't see your own back (without mirrors).
This is beyond amazing. Feverishly listened to the first two episodes and I'm holding my breath until the next one comes out.

Perfect amount of weird Coast-To-Coast AM and hilarity. Please do this forever.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

We've been sitting in the iTunes top 100 all week. This is really exciting and way more than I expected. Thanks everyone for making this possible.

If you listened to it already, please give us a review on iTunes, or at least a star rating. Thanks!

Demos
Mar 4, 2004
Have you passed through this night?
This is utterly fantastic.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't use iTunes so I'll just leave this here instead:
I know a great podcast when I hear one and boy oh boy this is a great podcast.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

You are all just the best, holy poo poo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maxnmona posted:

Basically I downloaded all of his albums, then separated the songs into playlists based on "mood".

I'd be curious to see that grouping.

And yeah I'm down to make some original music for new episodes. Send me a PM.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Earwicker posted:

I'd be curious to see that grouping.

And yeah I'm down to make some original music for new episodes. Send me a PM.

It was not super detailed. Basically "Upbeat", "Melancholy", "Both", and "Ambient".

And will do.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Listened to both episodes. The first thing I thought during the pilot episode (and still think is true) is that your format would fit well with BMIR (http://www.bmir.org/). They're not currently streaming anything, but during BurningMan they have times where they'll have a "host" who just blabbers, and even your voice matches what I remember.

Anyway, subscribed, because this is awesome! The thing about the glowing cloud was great, and the life lesson very true :)

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Listened to both episodes just now, thought they were pretty good. Reminiscent of the stellar radio broadcasts in Alan Wake. Definitely keeping an eye on this project.

Didn't like the credits part at the end of the episodes though, might be a better idea to have the main guy do them? The shift from mellow radio voice to amateur hour is kind of jarring.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
This is a great idea for a podcast; I've listened to the pilot episode and am looking forward to the second.

I have one suggestion if you're interested in hearing any: it would be great to hear more voices; it would have the benefit of making the podcast sound more like an actual radio broadcast. Also, the voices could become characters with their own stories ...

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Thanks for listening, both of you. Addressing your suggestions:

Yeah, we're working on the credits. I'm aware they're not quite there yet.

I don't want it to be Cecil, because I want his voice to stay within the reality of Night Vale and not also announce stuff that's outside of that. The first episode I ran out of time and just recorded the credits myself. As you can hear, I am not a professional voice actor.

The second episode on, my girlfriend will be recording them. This was at Cecil's suggestion that we use a female voice to contrast with his. We were still kind of rushed though, and so we hope to improve the credits in the future (fair warning, episode 3's credits were recorded at the same time) by having her talk slower and also much closer to the mic. It will hopefully sound much better once that happens.

jimma posted:

other voices

This may happen. For now, it's easier to have Cecil record everything, and it also allows us to have more control over the feel of the world.

We have talked about bringing in guest artists to perhaps both write and perform a little section. We know a lot of writers/performers that would be very capable. But we just want to see where this thing goes and what it develops into before we start messing with the format too much.

Man In Black
Mar 7, 2011

We're on a mission from God.
Sounds like a decent fuckin' vacation spot to me, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Listened to the first 2 episodes. I like it.