Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Ein Bear posted:

I didn't like the RE6 demo at all.

The Leon stuff had some potential, although it suffered from the same dodgy controls as the rest of the game, but the Chris section was flat-out awful. It's bad enough that this Gears of War-style cover shooter stuff has no place in a Resident Evil game in the first place, but they didn't even do a good job with it.

The enemies barely react to your gunshots at all (can't believe we went from RE4/5's incredible weapon feedback to this), and the game has the most over-the-top implementation of auto aim I've ever experienced. Melee looks cool, but it's fairly clunky, and poorly implemented compared to how it was used in the previous games, whilst item managment is horrible. (The UI in general is really poor)

It's kind of hard to describe how off everything in the game feels without actually playing it yourself. Character movement is super weird - the dedicated run button has gone, but movement speed isn't fixed... you just sort of run as fast as Leon/Chris decide is best for the situation, whilst aiming feels really loose. I guess it all just feels really shoddily put together, especially when the core mechanics of 4 and 5 are so incredibly solid.

I'm just really, really disappointed. Resident Evil 4 is still my favourite game of all time, and I've been a huge fan of the franchise as a whole since the original RE came out. This is a huge let down, especially considering how much I enjoyed Revelations earlier this year.

It's only Leon's section where you're forced to walk. There's a dedicated run button (hold A, same as RE5). As for the weird movement/aiming, that's mostly a result of how strange the default camera/aiming sensitivity is.. You gotta fiddle around with 'em to get that RE5 kind of tightness for 'em but it's definitely there.

I agree on the weapon feedback though, it's something that could definitely be improved. I've got a feeling that there's going to be a massive number of enemies or something like that or else the weird new system doesn't really make sense..

Also, the thing with the Chris section is that you don't -have- to play it like a cover shooter. In fact, that's actually the worst way to play it. The best way is running up and decking every single enemy with his fists because melee is crazy powerful for him. When you play it like a lovely cover shooter you lose out on the better run and gun style that the section seems to be designed around. It's the 'pure action' complement to Leon's 'walk around for 10 minutes doing jack poo poo' section. You can definitely get a better feel of the game's systems with that section due to how many enemies come swarming at you, alongside the variance of enemy types vs. 'zombies' and 're5 zombies'. There's incentive to use the dodges (or just run up and melee everyone to death).

There's definitely environmental contextual kills, for walls, 'cover' and railings. I think the way the melee works is that different enemy types have different melee reactions to them, alongside having different directional melee finishers/reactions for stun states. There are also sprinting stun melee and default melee attacks (also directional for finishers, Jake and Sherry both do really ridiculous wrestling moves for their backwards ones.)

Overall I think there's going to be a lot of "streamlining" in this RE, which has me kinda worried. There might not be custom weapon loadouts (seeing as every character has their own specialized weapons and stuff), and the reactivity of the enemies makes it feel more like a straight action game rather than that kind of 'precision clunkiness' RE4/5 had. I think there's going to be a very large emphasis on mobility in the game as a result of this, especially considering the dodges (there's even a ducking dodge) and movement while aiming/reloading. Seeing as every single melee enemy seems to always do permanent damage instead of damage you can regenerate I imagine the system is solely in place so fighting many more ranged enemies is less of a hassle than it was in RE5.

Chris being a bullet sponge also helps a lot in that case, too.

Also speculation, but I think mercenaries might be really expanded in this game due to the 'streamlined' process too. The sheer number of allies that come out at the end of Chris's scenario gives me a feeling that there's going to be some type of survival mode where you fight waves of enemies or something like that.. That might tie into the skill points system, too.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I played ORC and after the first boss kept completely breaking on me, restricting me to a tiny area with no instruction, and finally glitching through walls and then being forced back across the map because I'd ended up behind the monster, when I wasn't I quit.

Fighting enemies isn't that fun either, since they've completely loss the nice balance between Gears of War bullet sponge, but manageable and a regular Resident Evil enemy. They're just gigantic bullet sponges that take minutes to kill for no reason.

Did not have a good time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flameingblack posted:

I played ORC and after the first boss kept completely breaking on me, restricting me to a tiny area with no instruction, and finally glitching through walls and then being forced back across the map because I'd ended up behind the monster, when I wasn't I quit.

Fighting enemies isn't that fun either, since they've completely loss the nice balance between Gears of War bullet sponge, but manageable and a regular Resident Evil enemy. They're just gigantic bullet sponges that take minutes to kill for no reason.

Go for headshots, they go down fast then.

The glitches, yea, no hope there, that's just how the game is.

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
Finished the demo, more or less. Love Leon's campaign, hate Chris's. Not sure what to make of Jake's because I died twice and got sick of restarting from the menu screen every time. Also Jake is voiced by Vincent from Catherine. :argh:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Flameingblack posted:

I have two levels left and have yet to encounter any game breaking glitches. I got stuck on geometry during the first Birkin fight and was killed because of that, but that happens in every shooter (really often in Call of Duty) it seems like so it's hard for me to knock ORC on it.

Also they're kind of supposed to be bullet sponges. The enemies are either undead which usually give no fucks about bullets to their center mass no matter the game/movie or Spec Ops dudes in body armor. Both die pretty quickly/instantly to headshots which make sense.

Just saying. \/:shobon:\/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ran through the RE6 demo.

Leon: I just didn't enjoy this at all. Leon's Metroid: Other M-style walking at the speed of plot drove me batshit. It took for-loving-ever to get beyond the obvious foreshadowing plot point and I didn't get a good feel for how Leon's missions will play at all. I hope to go it isn't just a lot of slow-motion walking broken up by the occasional zombie attack. The zombies themselves seemed amazingly nonthreatening. I'm curious to see how they actually make them a danger. To be honest it reminded me most of Lost in Nightmare but with forced walking sequences.

Chris: It was... okay. It was basically Desperate Escape made into a full-length mode. Very action-oriented. Despite the cover system, it feels like the best way to play Chris is to run at enemies and punch their faces in while bullets bounce off his seemingly kevlar-reinforced skin. Out of curiosity I forced myself to die here and noticed two cool things: Your partner will revive you if you're downed or so it seems, and there are special death animations. A Ganado (or whatever) jumped on Chris, held him down, and unloaded his gun into his face.

Jake:This was the most fun of the lot, honestly. It's just a boss fight against a Nemesis-alike baddie but it felt the closest to RE4/RE5 style gameplay. I was glad to see that context-sensitive attacks are back in addition to always-available melee attacks. Exact same way as in RE4/RE5: Go for the head or knee, hit melee button while stunned. Seeing Sherry Birkin dropkick a guy is incredibly bizarre.

It was fun, although it felt weird. It was like three different games running off the same engine, and I kinda suspect that's going to bite it in the rear end. I have trouble seeing people enjoy Jake AND Leon AND Chris. A lot of the mechanics felt weird. The new health system feels needlessly convoluted and the stamina bar feels so friendly that I'm not really sure it is much of a limitation to meleeing the hell out of everything.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Leon's level was maybe the most boring and uninspired thing I've ever had the displeasure of playing through.

Chris' was better by sheer virtue that something happened, but the controls were overly, needlessly complex, the movement and shooting felt awful and the cover system is really, pointlessly complicated. It's a bad cover-shooter and an awful, turgid mess of ideas.

The overly long, completely tensionless QTE was amazing in how off the mark it was. This is the future; imagine Chris pressing the 'X' button and murmuring about muscle memory forever.

Not to mention the dialogue in both was terrible in a completely bland, straight-faced, un-Resident Evil way.

Edit: The camera was terrible in both parts too, with it practically stuck to the character's shoulder in a very hampered, control-less way, but the really astounding bit is how they make you use the same impossibly close camera angle for the obligatory 'run towards the camera, away from the monster' sequence in Jake's level. What the gently caress.

Edit 2: Okay, the Jake and Sherry level was agressively mediocre but it at least didn't have me shaking my head all the way through.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 4, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Flameingblack posted:

Things get a lot easier/more fun when you start unlocking guns and abilities. Four Eyes' abilities are fabulous, once they're fully upgraded for example. Buy the Riot Gun as soon as possible: it basically one shots anything that's close to you and makes crimson heads, hunters and lickers a ton easier. It doesn't work too great against the soldiers unless you can get nice and close though.

Also, play with people not AI. Makes the game way more fun!

ETA: I've only had one glitch in the campaigns, and that was when I wound up stuck in a wall after a load screen in the hospital level. We just restarted and it hasn't happened since.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Man that demo was awesome, I just hope the game doesn't have too much forced walking/follow npc moments.

Also, they could fix some of that screen-tearing, it's as bad as Dragon's Dogma.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Count me in the RE6 demo sucks camp. I don't even know where to start but my main beef is that it doesn't even feel like an RE game in any way shape or form.

Reive posted:

]Also, they could fix some of that screen-tearing, it's as bad as Dragon's Dogma.

Yeah I would even venture to say it was worse than Dragons Dogma.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 4, 2012

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, I played the demo, and I really liked it. Leon's section was pretty dull, yeah, and it's hard to build tense scares when all they have to throw at me are boring old zombies. The camera's a little awkward, too, but I can't really place why. Kinda feels like your character is too close to the center of the screen or something.

But, otherwise, it's pretty great! I dig the monster designs so far, at least outside of Leon's section. The weird bug-men are close enough to your standard Ganado/Majini that it's pretty freaky when they go all John Carpenter on you and flip out. Plus, the Not-Nemesis that Jake the dog Wesker fights is both really cool and really nasty looking.

But Chris's section of the demo is the best goddamn thing, and I can't stop playing it. It's like "Okay, here's a rifle and here's a cover mechanic, and all the enemies have guns, so try to be a little tactical here, okay?" and Chris is like "Nope" and just runs through the level, no weapons equipped, punching and pile-driving everything that looks at him crossways.

Alcoholic Douchebag Chris Redfield is my new favorite character :allears:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I hope the last story of this game is a T-Virus rock.

Edit: That or there is a rock that connects all three stories; like Wesker kid pushes a rock over a cliff, Leon runs from it, and Chris punches it.

Three Cookies fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 6, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like there's no chance the final story isn't going to involve Jake going Super Weskerjin and fistfighting a Perfect Tyrant or something.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Jake will become Literally Wesker and kill Sherry.

Leon tries to fight him and gets punched off a cliff, leaving Chris to fistfight Wesker 2.0 on top of a skyscraper while it's thundering and pouring inside the eye of a hurricane. The ghosts of the dead squad-mates from his lil cinematic PTSD trip and also every side character who died will assist Chris in his final kamakazi attack against Wesker by holding down Wesker as Chris tackles him off the building while holding an active mini-nuke.

The ending will be Jill looking out a foggy window on a rainy day, sighing as the nuclear explosion goes off in a split screen with a slo-mo shot of Chris's life flashing before him (again).

After the credits, the screen will fade to white and reveal this picture:

edit: also after beating the game on hard mode the after credits fade will reveal a hand holding a pair of shades popping out of a volcano

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 6, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fereydun posted:

Jake will become Literally Wesker

I'm honestly expecting something like this to happen. Like they'll pull an FF7: Advent Children and say Jake has "Wesker's exact cells" or something stupid and BAM at the end he transforms into Wesker and then J.C Douglas gets to make fun of alcoholic amnesiac Chris again.

I don't know what that says about Resident Evil if I can think that and go "Yeah that's possible".

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
What's been kind of bugging me is that Jake is clearly an adult and at least in his late twenties, presumably a year or two older than Sherry.

He's Wesker's son. That's fine, but aside from the "Wesker Project" design, Wesker didn't get virus'd up until late 1998. Unless Jake is a really cynical, fast-aging fifteen-year-old boy, I'm really not sure what's supposed to be all that special about him.

Also, they released this promo render of Ada on the RE Facebook page yesterday, and she's got a modernized version of her crossbow from Separate Ways. It looks like it's bigger than she is.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
They retconned Wesker's origin in RE5 again. They made experiments on him before he was even born.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I know about the genetic engineering angle, yeah, but I'm still wondering about it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wanderer posted:

I know about the genetic engineering angle, yeah, but I'm still wondering about it.

Jake doesn't quite have the same powers as Wesker did from Code Veronica onwards. Sure, he's athletic and has melee moves powerful enough to kill BOWs but he's not running across walls or dodging bullets like Wesker did ever since he got virus'd up in 1998. It's most likely that they're after Jake because he's a descendent of the "Wesker Children" and he's the only specimen left alive from that experiment.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

Policenaut posted:

I'm honestly expecting something like this to happen. Like they'll pull an FF7: Advent Children and say Jake has "Wesker's exact cells" or something stupid and BAM at the end he transforms into Wesker and then J.C Douglas gets to make fun of alcoholic amnesiac Chris again.

I don't know what that says about Resident Evil if I can think that and go "Yeah that's possible".

Ada gives him Wesker's sunglasses. The spirit of Wesker then takes over his body, MGS2 style.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I just wonder if Sherry has any residual problems from being host to a G embryo at one point. In fact she's the only person to be exposed to the G-virus without being destroyed by it, as far as I know!

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

I just wonder if Sherry has any residual problems from being host to a G embryo at one point. In fact she's the only person to be exposed to the G-virus without being destroyed by it, as far as I know!

Somehow, Jill and Sherry will end up having a child immune to all viruses ever.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Some people went through the RE6 demo files and it seems to confirm a 4th campaign with Ada.

Maybe Capcom bit off a little too much this time? I can't blame them for putting so much content in the game, even if it turns out clunky.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Or maybe it's DLC.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

GUI posted:

Or maybe it's DLC.

Sssh, don't let them hear you.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GUI posted:

Or maybe it's DLC.

Demo DLC :haw:

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

RE6 final boss leaked. (Obvious spoilers.)

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

As a warning, people have hacked the poo poo out of the demo and found out all sorts of plot/game things (including basic things like all the weapons), so tread lightly in Resident Evil threads.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm shocked Capcom let that happen again. The same thing happened with RE5's demo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I'm shocked Capcom let that happen again. The same thing happened with RE5's demo.

It happens with demos for almost everything. Companies are extremely lazy about how they create the demos. Mass Effect 3 got its entire drat plot leaked if I recall.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The only spoiler I care about is if the Hydra is back. Any shotgun with less than three barrels is for chumps :colbert:

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Crowetron posted:

The only spoiler I care about is if the Hydra is back. Any shotgun with less than three barrels is for chumps :colbert:

The one in Bulletstorm had 4 :black101:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Crowetron posted:

It's the shotgun Leon's partner has in the demo.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

An Actual Bear posted:

The one in Bulletstorm had 4 :black101:

And it shot boiling acid.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I love a good RE handgun, they feel so meaty.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently RE6 is going to have 4 hours worth of cutscenes.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/09/resident-evil-6-features-four-hours-of-cutscenes

Story has never really been the strong suit of RE games, in any cause it should be good for a laugh.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
drat capcom. :( It seems every time I get hype for this game, either reading the forums or other information about the gameplay makes me what to put that money right back in my pocket. I can save it for another game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

RE4 and 5 both had roughly around an hour or two of cutscene length. Isn't RE6 supposed to have 3 (4 if the Ada thing is legit) campaigns? If so then an hour for each adds up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah but do you really expect the game to be long enough to have the same ratio of game to movie? This looks like half of it is literally going to be "walk slow while someone talks to you" on top of that which does not bode well.

Dr.Oblivious posted:

And it shot boiling acid.

So I tried the demo out and, like, I don't know. There are a lot of little things I hate about it. The QTE where you climb across a rope for five hours while some guy talks with the big flashing X prompt the whole time. Chris' intro is beyond stupid. Wesker is destroyed forever, I guess all bio-terrorism suddenly ceased to exist turning Chris into an alcoholic burnout? It wants to be like Gears but you have to hit a billion buttons at once to shoot over cover. It feels like a jumbled mess where they just don't know what kind of game they make.

I know RE4 is a big pair of shoes to fill, but that game so perfect handled, like, everything. Note how stuff involving movement in it was "hit a button once, fly across this zipline very quickly and look awesome," not "mash X to slowly climb across this rope for two hours." Completely insufferable. I want to like this because I love RE4, Dead Space, that "type" of game I guess but in its current state this wasn't fun at all to play through.

Plus I'm a big fan of the stupidly silly stories, like how ridiculous RE5 got towards the end or RE4's very quick progression from creepy rural cannibalism horror to 80s action insanity. RE1/2's campy dialogue and music and such, I love it. I just can't believe after the embarrassment of most of RE5's story though that they're planning on having four hours of cutscenes that are this straight faced like we're supposed to seriously care.

Also I hope someone more knowledgeable than me can tell me if I'm off the mark here, but is the field of view like, really really small compared to say RE4? Is it just me?e

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

The game is likely not nearly close to finished as it should be; a report from March said it was "60%" done. They're probably close to putting everything together by now, but they'll definitely need the next two-three months just to polish.

Moving the game from November to October probably didn't help the team out either, but I feel that was probably a corporate Capcom decision and not a "Yeah we're like pretty much done you can release it sooner" from the team.

Hopefully the demo is doubling as feedback for them, at least.