Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

demolina posted:

I'm starting to think my issue isn't just origin, but actually downloading files for extended periods of time. SSDs shouldn't have an issue downloading origin or steam games should they?

I have a Mushkin Cronos 240GB drive and the crashes seem to happen after downloading for a while or pausing the download and then starting it back up via steam.

Could I just have a faulty drive? I've only had it for six days but already experienced 12 or so blue screens. Its definitely got the most up to date firmware.

12 blue screens in 6 days? Crashes happen when writing to disk for extended periods of time? Of course it's faulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

DarkJC posted:

12 blue screens in 6 days? Crashes happen when writing to disk for extended periods of time? Of course it's faulty.
Yup. Something ain't right there. You can try updating to the latest Intel RST drivers and giving that a whirl, but crash-on-write is a pretty bad sign.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

Yup. Something ain't right there. You can try updating to the latest Intel RST drivers and giving that a whirl, but crash-on-write is a pretty bad sign.

Yes, sounds really like it's gone wrong, but just for the sake of being pedantic, it could be a bad SATA cable, and demolina should try another if he has one (cheap test, too), or a power supply at it's limit (maybe unplug another drive to test?)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
An SSD is really unlikely to push a power supply over the edge. They don't draw more than 2-3 watts except under extreme loads.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
First try the cable as mentioned. On the first day I was getting some misbehaviour of the system and tracked it down to the SATA cable. That's why I put the tape on it to stop it from slipping out.

As the song says... roughly "Anything you can do, I can do better". That applies to SSDs for the most part. You should be able to download things to your hearts content without a bluescreen.

It's also worth considering there may be another part in your system which is borderline. Downloading isn't much more stressful to a drive than the OS just sitting there, doing whatever the hell it is doing with its occasional disk accesses. Also a big red flag to me here is the bluescreen. I've had enough hard drives, CDs, DVDs and USB drives fail to say that they don't normally generate a BSOD. The system just usually grinds to a stop, waiting for disk IO that never comes. It may be able to spit out an error but usually it just does nothing. Not saying that is immutable but you may want to cover all bases. A computer is like an old Volkswagen when it comes to problems. They aren't always what you think.

Have you been checking your logs by the way? It's always the first thing I do when something's not right. Usually before a system dies completely there are signs in the logs. Please check them if you haven't.

Again, not saying it's not your SSD but i don't want you going through the hassle of getting another and having the same problem manifest.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

General_Failure posted:

It's also worth considering there may be another part in your system which is borderline. Downloading isn't much more stressful to a drive than the OS just sitting there, doing whatever the hell it is doing with its occasional disk accesses. Also a big red flag to me here is the bluescreen. I've had enough hard drives, CDs, DVDs and USB drives fail to say that they don't normally generate a BSOD. The system just usually grinds to a stop, waiting for disk IO that never comes. It may be able to spit out an error but usually it just does nothing. Not saying that is immutable but you may want to cover all bases. A computer is like an old Volkswagen when it comes to problems. They aren't always what you think.

Have you been checking your logs by the way? It's always the first thing I do when something's not right. Usually before a system dies completely there are signs in the logs. Please check them if you haven't.

Thanks for the assistance, and the other people who gave me ideas.

I finally had a BSOD that didn't flash past and it was stating that one of my processor cores had given up and stopped due to voltage. Had a brief reseat of cables and checked the bios a little to make sure the voltage wasn't being silly.

So far, been up for about 5 hours with nothing happening. That might have fixed it! Here's to hoping.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

demolina posted:

Thanks for the assistance, and the other people who gave me ideas.

I finally had a BSOD that didn't flash past and it was stating that one of my processor cores had given up and stopped due to voltage. Had a brief reseat of cables and checked the bios a little to make sure the voltage wasn't being silly.

So far, been up for about 5 hours with nothing happening. That might have fixed it! Here's to hoping.

If you're trying to track down a BSOD, Windows logs them in Event Viewer whenever possible. You can also disable "automatic restart after system failure" in Control Panel->System->Advanced System Settings->Advanced->Startup and Recovery Settings; this can be helpful if you're BSODing due to a storage problem that keeps Windows from writing to the log.

What BSOD did you see? Windows doesn't directly track voltage, and it sounds like you might have a problem that's unrelated to your storage.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

demolina posted:

I finally had a BSOD that didn't flash past and it was stating that one of my processor cores had given up and stopped due to voltage.
Check the motherboard capacitors near the socket. The tops should be flat.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Just finished the system swap. I think I'll reinstall linux just to be safe. SATA 3gb/sec seems to be working just fine and have enabled AHCI for the SSD. Maybe took a second or two off boot but that's only about 10sec anyway. programs are loading a lot faster. Shame it's not a SATA6gb/sec controller but nm.

I was worried about possible issues after the swap. I may have some. KDE seems a little "off". Still using the same graphics card and it's not a performance issue. The widgets are a little funny and I don't know what else is broken. Perhaps I should keep /home. I'm undecided.

Not 100% sure what aspect of the system change would affect the settings and appearance of programs but that can't be good.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Can someone provide me with some good articles or something showing how terrible OCZ is? I'm trying to get my co-worker to buy a different brand but "they are so cheap and have good Tom's Hardware ratings!" :suicide:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
This is probably the closest you'll get... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923-3.html

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Red Robin Hood posted:

Can someone provide me with some good articles or something showing how terrible OCZ is? I'm trying to get my co-worker to buy a different brand but "they are so cheap and have good Tom's Hardware ratings!" :suicide:

You've done your part by telling him to buy something else. Let him buy OCZ. It really doesn't matter, it's his problem, not yours..

vv Ahh, I see, not just a random co-worker.. Well, I guess you can do your best

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 6, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

HalloKitty posted:

You've done your part by telling him to buy something else. Let him buy OCZ. It really doesn't matter, it's his problem, not yours..

But... but.. he got me this job and I don't want him to waste his money :negative:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Red Robin Hood posted:

This is a good, if slightly old, page showing return rates for SSDs by brand. OCZ is the only one significantly worse than harddrives.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Red Robin Hood posted:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
There's more:

http://blog.macsales.com/9438-not-all-ssd%92s-are-created-equal-the-story-continues

And probably the most damning:
http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/890075-copperfield-research/166874-ocz-the-master-of-ssd-shady-suspect-deceitful

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
To be fair, that Macsales post is from a direct competitor to OCZ and should be viewed with skepticism.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 7, 2012

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Wasn't there some debacle about OCZ RAM like 10 years ago too?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
More recently than that. Their DDR2 was goosed with ridiculous voltages to hit the speeds they advertised. Their DDR3 was so unstable and failed so often that they just gave up producing it entirely. I think that was only a year or two ago.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The mSATA version of the M4 seems to be trickling out to consumer outlets. I picked one up here for an astonishingly reasonable price.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

fletcher posted:

Wasn't there some debacle about OCZ RAM like 10 years ago too?

Yes and videocards that lasted shortly.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Alereon posted:

To be fair, that Macsales post is from a direct competitor to OCZ and should be viewed with skepticism.

Do they not make valid points?

They say their stuff is good, OCZ stuff is bad. They don't tell you not to buy Intel, Crucial, etc; just to be aware of what companies put in their drives.

quote:

Unless the brand of SSD you are buying clearly specifies the key internal components used – there are better – and perhaps more reliable – choices on the market.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Penguissimo posted:

The mSATA version of the M4 seems to be trickling out to consumer outlets. I picked one up here for an astonishingly reasonable price.

Holy crap that's sweet. I kind of want one for my mini itx system, since the board supports it. However the msata only supports sata2 while two of the actual sata ports are sata3. How much of a difference will 2/3 make on one of these? I mean the case can fit two 2.5s so the logical choice is wait until another 240-256gb goes down to 180 again, but my nerdy side say msata would be awesome. But awesome here is somehow more expensive and has worse performance.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It cuts the speed in half. Not that you'd really notice in everyday use though.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Bought two of the cheapest Adata 120gb SSDs to raid0 with for configuring and testing virutal machines on.

200 dollars for 240GB of untrustworthy storage.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

incoherent posted:

Bought two of the cheapest Adata 120gb SSDs to raid0 with for configuring and testing virutal machines on.

200 dollars for 240GB of untrustworthy storage.

I did that before with intel 320s, but at today's prices, why didn't you get a single 240gb?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Haven't read the thread but just here to post that I bought 4 OCZ SSD's, the oldest one being a Vertex 2 used daily in a MB Pro and no problems whatsoever to report with any of the units, I have a vertex 2, a vertex 3 and 2 agility 3.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Fools and their money etc

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Has anyone used a PCI-E card that has a built in spot to hold an SSD of your choice?

That one is by Apricorn but I'm sure there are others.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Crossposted from the SSD deals thread in Coupons and Deals:

Crucial M4 128 GB only $104.99 shipped with code EMCYTZT1866

Price expires 11:59PM PT on Saturday, 7/7/2012..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

Edit: bonus hilarious review, poster needs to get out more or have the wife put out more, neither seems likely

Newegg user "Buzz" posted:

Ok, I'm going to be honest here. This drive makes me smile more than my wife does. I want to take it out of the computer, wipe it off with a rag and put it back in, daily. Walks in the park, candlelight dinners together, just me and my M4 SSD! No, but seriously, this drive is epic in every way. It performs better than Traci Lords back in her prime. WEI 7.9.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 7, 2012

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bob Morales posted:

Has anyone used a PCI-E card that has a built in spot to hold an SSD of your choice?

Why wouldn't you just get a SATA3 add-in card then? It's not like it can magically turn a SATA2 drive into a SATA3 one, so unless you somehow ran out of places to stuff SSDs in your case and just need to have one sitting on a shelf down with the rest of your PCIe devices, I don't see the point.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DrDork posted:

Why wouldn't you just get a SATA3 add-in card then? It's not like it can magically turn a SATA2 drive into a SATA3 one, so unless you somehow ran out of places to stuff SSDs in your case and just need to have one sitting on a shelf down with the rest of your PCIe devices, I don't see the point.

Probably for a server where you can't fit any more drives but have a slot.

According to the NewEgg comments it's got a Marvell chipset. I wonder if it would have enough power to run a regular 2.5" HD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161006

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Under load, many SSDs draw more power than modern 2.5" drives. So if it can power SSDs, it can take mechanical drives as well.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I got a Crucial M4 for my Macbook Pro a few weeks a go and it is easily the best upgrade I have ever made on a computer! The speed that apps load up is still amazing to me, I am really loving it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

I did that before with intel 320s, but at today's prices, why didn't you get a single 240gb?

I need to run a lot of VMs with the minimum amount of ram I can get away with, due to very real hardware limitations (my machine tops out at 8GB of ram). Also, I need to have lots of speed for the disk queue depth, which differencing relies on.

Basically a very cheap and rapid platform to develop on. One drive wasn't going to cut it.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 7, 2012

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Binary Badger posted:

Crossposted from the SSD deals thread in Coupons and Deals:

Crucial M4 128 GB only $104.99 shipped with code EMCYTZT1866

Price expires 11:59PM PT on Saturday, 7/7/2012..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

Edit: bonus hilarious review, poster needs to get out more or have the wife put out more, neither seems likely

Amazon seems to have matched that price as well. I ordered one to replace my failed OCZ brick.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Rexxed posted:

Amazon seems to have matched that price as well. I ordered one to replace my failed OCZ brick.

Confirmed, M4 128 GB for $104. I almost bought one before I remembered that I already have two. But I might buy another one anyway because SSD's are the tits.

I swear, 128's are going to be like $79 this time next year.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Hard Drives: Just Say No.

My pre-unibody MBP feels like a new machine thanks to a 512GB m4, even with its old SATA interface. If you are on the fence in any way, get one. Just do it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Yeah, getting an SSD for MacBook Pro (2010) gave a bigger jump in performance than from any CPU or RAM upgrade I've purchased.

I'm actually wanting PATA SSD upgrades for all my old systems. I use my ThinkPad T43 all the time, and it could really use a nice SSD. Lenovo gave it a PATA interface, though! (it has a SATA chipset with an internal SATA to PATA bridge.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

I looked into this, and it turns out PCI-E can't actually handle the bandwidth that a dedicated SATA 3 port can. It'll be faster than SATA 1 or 2, but possibly much slower than SATA 3.

Plus I couldn't find a single damned controller card made by a company I actually recognized, at least in the <$100 range.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 8, 2012

• Locked thread