Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm a backer but I have to say the first thing I thought of when I saw the second pic was elephantitis of the ballsacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If you're interested in classic video game music:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeriaska/nubuwo-summer-bundle-music-inspired-by-videogames

The guy who made this really good classic Mega Man homage teamed up with a couple video game music remixers to create an OST and remix album for it, which is going to be distributed in a bundle with a bunch of other music. The Kickstarter is for making some physical CDs of the two albums, so if you're into that, here you go.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

If you're interested in classic video game music:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeriaska/nubuwo-summer-bundle-music-inspired-by-videogames

The guy who made this really good classic Mega Man homage teamed up with a couple video game music remixers to create an OST and remix album for it, which is going to be distributed in a bundle with a bunch of other music. The Kickstarter is for making some physical CDs of the two albums, so if you're into that, here you go.

This was posted in the Awful Kickstarters thread as well, but I am pretty sure the guy got it wrong and though it was the Awesome Kickstarters thread:

Fire Spinning Finger Puppets!
Let us all donate generously to the noble cause of setting finger puppets on fire :supaburn:.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/484889112/the-pocket-tv-makes-any-tv-a-smart-tv

Thumb drive sized android computer. There are a few already on the market but this one looks pretty cool with the following specs

I'll use it for a streaming audio, basic internet machine for the garage.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Echo Chamber posted:

Clang looks interested. I pledged.

This was mentioned in the Games Pinball thread, and it already met its goal, but I really want to see it meet its stretch goal:
Pinball Arcade: The Twilight Zone
It's already going to be funded, but if they get double, that'll also cover the Star Trek: The Next Generation table. Six days left to reach $110,000. And I rather get two tables from a pledge than one.

They worked things out with Microsoft so I can get it for 360.

Killer. I pledged.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If you're a fan of the Jesus Christ: In The Name Of The Gun webcomic you'll be excited to hear that they've started a kickstarter project for an animated version.

And if you haven't heard of it before the KS video pledge gives a pretty good idea of what it's all about.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Clang
A bunch of guys in Seattle are trying to create a more realistic version of swordfighting in computer games. I have no idea if it'll be any good but the pitch video (starring scfi writer Neal Stephenson) is pretty hilarious.

They've reached 50% funding so they released an update video about some of the issues they've experienced on the project and how they've worked through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuNQP6eP7Zo

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

The MSJ posted:

Special effects master Phil Tippet is making an animated movie and you have 4 more days to give him money (for preorder, he already made his funding target).
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madgod/phil-tippetts-mad-god?ref=activity

He posted some of his work for the movie.

(use eho.st or min.us or filesmelt or SOMETHING ELSE if imgur shits the bed)

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
If I put a :smug: in my post - that means I'm right no matter what.
Would you consider donating to my project? I know it's a modest goal but I want to
Bring Flotilla to Every Bookstore on the Planet

That's right, ladies - my science fiction novel of pirates, world meltdowns and guns is coming to a bookstore near you BECAUSE I WILL BE IN EVERY BOOKSTORE ON THE PLANET.

Goons hold a special place in my heart since you provided a tremendous amount of feedback on everything about my book - and you delivered it complete with ballsack kicking. I'm a masochist, so I'm doing it again by telling you that MY NOVEL WILL BE IN EVERY BOOK STORE ON THE PLANET.

Edit - I am a retard - here is the link to the project:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1743646288/promote-flotilla-launch-the-sequel?ref=card

This is how much I fail:

OppositeOfLove has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Jun 15, 2012

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I might consider, if you provided a link.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Wait, I'm confused. Is that actually your kickstarter? You're not seriously asking for $50 a copy, right?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fifty dollars a copy? 500 bucks to talk to you on a webcam, with no actual book as a reward? You can pay to be a main character in your next book?

Is this some sort of loving joke? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
How much can we give him to have him fight Lowtax? That's the real question.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Chunk posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Is that actually your kickstarter? You're not seriously asking for $50 a copy, right?

$50 for a signed copy - I can't offer that on Amazon. Apologies if I sound like a tremendous douche - I'm doing this by myself and I was going around with what I could offer ... that's what I came up with. My research on other Book KS' revealed similar offerings so it seemed to make sense. What should I offer instead?

As for fighting Lowtax - I can never fight He Who My Power Springs From.

Occupation posted:

Fifty dollars a copy? 500 bucks to talk to you on a webcam, with no actual book as a reward? You can pay to be a main character in your next book?

Is this some sort of loving joke? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

$500 for an Author appearance, which includes 5 signed copies. Was that not clear? Here it is again:

quote:

Internet Author Event - pledge $500 and I'll set up a webcam author event to talk about what a great person you are, Flotilla and why crowd-sourced funding of creative projects is the way to go for artists. Includes 5 copies of Flotilla signed as giveaways for the audience.

Again - sorry if I sound like a tremendous douche - I'm a lone guy, promoting this by myself and this is the idea I came up with. No harm, foul or skullduggery intended.

OppositeOfLove has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Jun 15, 2012

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Why can't you offer an eBook copy for like...oh...ten dollars? Even ten bucks would be a little high there.

Why are your tiers all loving weird? It goes 50-500-1000-10,000. There should be a bunch (and I mean a ton) of lower-end rewards (like a 10, 20/25, 75, and 100 dollar reward).

The fact that you're literally offering to have somebody with enough money written into your book does not inspire confidence that you have a handle on or actually care about the creative value of your work.

Basically your pitch is hosed up from top-to-bottom, especially the fact that a backer has to pay fifty loving dollars just for a copy of your poo poo.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Occupation posted:

Why can't you offer an eBook copy for like...oh...ten dollars? Even ten bucks would be a little high there.

Why are your tiers all loving weird? It goes 50-500-1000-10,000. There should be a bunch (and I mean a ton) of lower-end rewards (like a 10, 20/25, 75, and 100 dollar reward).

The fact that you're literally offering to have somebody with enough money written into your book does not inspire confidence that you have a handle on or actually care about the creative value of your work.

Basically your pitch is hosed up from top-to-bottom, especially the fact that a backer has to pay fifty loving dollars just for a copy of your poo poo.

I do offer a book for ten dollars - on Amazon. Not sure what else to tell you man except for the part that I'm trying to get money to hire a professional PR firm as I stated and I can't afford to give the book away if I want to be able to pay them. After looking at PBS and their $90 tote bag, I wanted to give something that you couldn't buy on Amazon but also helped move the project forward.

Again - I don't care if you can only kick in a buck - I'll still mention you in the Special Thanks section of my novel. So anyone can get rewarded, regardless of what they want to give.

The fact that I'm offering to name one of my characters isn't meant to detract from the value of the work - I did it because Stephen King auctioned off names in The Cell and it sounded like a neat thing to offer people ... the print version of 'buying a brick' that I see so many other people do, if you will. Incidentally, I think someone paid King over $25K for privilege. I'm not trying to fleece people.

I'll revise the pitch as you suggest - as I said, my goal is to get my work out there and not sound like a douche bag. I'm sorry if I failed in that regard.

OppositeOfLove has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Jun 15, 2012

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/timksmith/freeform-or-death-a-documentary-about-wfmu

Documentary about WFMU, the oldest freeform radio station on this planet. Also, the best radio station on this planet. I made a thread about the station where you can see why the it needs support and/or simply hear the independent brilliance yourself.

Also, after you pledge 100 bucks or more you can:
"Hypnotize the masses with your very own subliminal message -- a high definition frame (art 1920 x 1080) of your own creation -- inserted into the final film! This is your chance to both support and subvert the film about the station that subverts THE MAN."

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Somehow the worst kickstarter thread now has better items than this one...

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/denovobicycles/the-denovo-cafe-stella-project

This is my current favorite. I admit it's a friends' project but I think it is genuinely a good idea. These dumb fuckers have been working with bikes for years and this idea seems like a more than logical plan.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

pr0p posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/denovobicycles/the-denovo-cafe-stella-project

This is my current favorite. I admit it's a friends' project but I think it is genuinely a good idea. These dumb fuckers have been working with bikes for years and this idea seems like a more than logical plan.

That does look like a really good idea. I'm not sure about their projected MSRP of $160 a unit, but Amazon does seem to have other high end bike lights in that range. I really hope they make their $80,000 goal so they can integrate solar cell recharging.

The lights on the side of the stem also sort of look like they might get blocked by a person's hands, though it's not possible to tell without a picture of a person on it. They should also have a picture of one of the keychains :) I backed it for a bumper sticker.

Changing the subject, what do you people think of the Ringbow? It's a wearable bluetooth dpad for Android and iOS devices (also compatible with desktops it seems). It's sort of a cool idea, I think, but I'm not completely sold on its utility outside of some gimmicky uses. I do think a physical dpad would be nice for many games, so I backed it.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

http://kck.st/Ok6lTP

For all you fitness freaks out there, this is a continuous heart rate monitor that doesn't require a chest strap and is supposedly as accurate as any Polar-style watch. This is great for someone like me, I've managed to break Nike, Garmin and Polar chest straps over the years with normal use.

It also includes either bluetooth 4.0 or ANT+ to connect to phones or other fitness equipment. There aren't too many phones that have BT4.0 (iPhone 4S and the HTC one series, I believe?), but if you go with the ANT+ option you can connect to Garmin computers, Concept II rowing machines and lots of other modern equipment.

Hopefully this works as well as advertised, it'll make training a fair bit more comfortable.

NitroSpazzz posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/484889112/the-pocket-tv-makes-any-tv-a-smart-tv

Thumb drive sized android computer. There are a few already on the market but this one looks pretty cool with the following specs

I'll use it for a streaming audio, basic internet machine for the garage.

I've backed this one as well, and it turns out they've upgraded the RAM to 1gb. This will apparently make it compatible with Jelly Bean, so good news all round!

ShoeFly has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Jul 7, 2012

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I have a Kickstarter project that I launched about a day and a half ago. It's a book titled So Bad, It's Good, and it's all about the joy of watching enjoyably bad movies. The book profiles dozens of the "best" bad movies from a variety of time periods and genres.

There are a number of reward levels available, and the funding is off to a good start...but I've still got a ways to go in order to get to my goal. Check it out of the topic interests you - thanks!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
OrangeKing, I love the idea of your Kickstarter, and I love that your user picture looks like the world's most polite young lad. I also love that your backer history led me to this, which deserves a billion attentions:

Calvin and Hobbes Documentary. I cannot tell if Mr. Watterson is actually even involved in any way, but the caliber of people the director has already interviewed suggests this is pretty legit. Also of the elusive "already had one successful Kickstarter and results to show" variety!

This is from two months ago, but I just discovered the thread, and seriously, this is the best possible Kickstarter video for someone who does not want to spend a huge amount of money making a professional video. I laughed several times AND he got the point across! The point that "this project is basically just like all the other ones, except I am funny, so you probably want to look at mine more."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Clang
A bunch of guys in Seattle are trying to create a more realistic version of swordfighting in computer games. I have no idea if it'll be any good but the pitch video (starring scfi writer Neal Stephenson) is pretty hilarious.

They've got 35 hours to go and as of right now they've raised almost 98% of their goal, it's going to go down to the wire but it looks like they're going to make it!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

do you guys get the kickstarter newsletter? It's pretty funny seeing the range of stuff on there. Last week it was a space suit, an underwater exploration robot and some unemployed kids wanting to make an art zine.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Manky posted:

Changing the subject, what do you people think of the Ringbow? It's a wearable bluetooth dpad for Android and iOS devices (also compatible with desktops it seems). It's sort of a cool idea, I think, but I'm not completely sold on its utility outside of some gimmicky uses. I do think a physical dpad would be nice for many games, so I backed it.

Something tells me there's a lot of patents in the wearable control/bluetooth control arena that they might end up stepping on, like this one.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

They've got 35 hours to go and as of right now they've raised almost 98% of their goal, it's going to go down to the wire but it looks like they're going to make it!

With 9 hours to go, it looks like Clang will hit its target. (The donation from Razer's CEO was nice, though I don't know if that's what put it over the top.)

I can't wait to see what the Chairman does with it now.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Do you like Nickleback? No? How about Motown.
http://kck.st/NNk8kf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KzP4bC1Ypg

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I really like the pledge rewards, especially the "WE WILL PLAY AT YOUR WEDDING" reward if you decided to single-handedly fund them.

Reekardo
Jul 10, 2012

by Fistgrrl
I see other people posting about their own Kickstarter projects so I'll go ahead and post mine. It's a Burning Man Art Project and it's called Sledgehammer Bowling Ball Playa Croquet. It's got sledgehammers, bowling balls, and rebar wickets. It's all lit up with EL wire and fiber optics so you can play at night.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Reekardo posted:

It's a Burning Man Art Project

I stopped reading right there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Penny Arcade wants to go ad free for a year:

quote:

People don't like advertising almost as a general rule; Advertising is simply The Way It Is. People who make content learn to like it, because they want to make content, and they also want to eat food and sleep under a roof, and the opportunity to do both at the same time seems like a pretty good idea.

After the "dot com bubble," we ran the site entirely on donations for over a year. The word crowdfunding hadn't been invented yet; back then, people simply called it "begging," but I think it's clear that those days are long past. We look back on that period with incredible fondness, and I don't think we're the only ones. It was just two of us then, not the juggernaut that it is now; we have mouths to feed, as it were. I think we had assumed it wasn't possible to do it that way anymore - to operate a site at this scale without advertising dollars - but it occurred to us that we'd never actually asked. People often want to know how they can support the site in a way that doesn't involve t-shirts or looking at advertising, and I think we may have a way. What I'm saying is that we want to sell out, and we would love to sell out to you.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

How is the Penny Arcade thing even remotely within the terms of service? "Pay our bills for a year" doesn't seem terribly kosher.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jet Jaguar posted:

How is the Penny Arcade thing even remotely within the terms of service? "Pay our bills for a year" doesn't seem terribly kosher.

If people are interested in discussing it there's a lovely* discussion about this very question over in the GBS Kickstarter thread stating here.

* Not a guarantee, discussion may be less than 100% lovely.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I probably wouldn't personally use it, but this looks amazing. Basically, you can print (monochrome) on lots of things without needing a darkroom.
Print on a shirt (so you don't need to go to Cafepress):

Print on wood:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
It's probably not going to make it, but there's a documentary on The Black Panther Party headed by early members of the party on Kickstarter.

Zeiros
Apr 9, 2003

It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.
99% Invisible is a radio show/podcast about design and architecture. I've been listening to it since 2010 and it never fails to be one of the most thoughtful pieces of storytelling that I hear. As the host says, "Stories about who we are, through what we build". Really wonderful stuff.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
This is a fundraiser for the "NYC Rock Camp 2012," which is a yearly five day rock camp in Brooklyn for kids who want to learn about music from talented local musicians and play together in a band. A couple of my friends were some of the teachers last year and really had a blast doing it--I'll most likely be there for a few days this year to take pictures and drum up some publicity for future NYC Rock Camps :D

This is a non-profit for charity fundraiser, which means it probably wouldn't be acceptable if it were an actual Kickstarter, but I feel like it's in the same spirit and it goes towards producing a big show at the end of the camp. All donations are tax deductible! Please read the site and watch the video for more information.

http://www.gofundme.com/NYC-Rock-Camp-2012#description

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Jon Kricfalusi (the guy who invented Ren & Stimpy) needs money so he can expunge some terrible childhood memories via the medium of funny moving pictures.
John K's "Cans Without Labels"
The pitch video is 9 minutes of Jon K ranting about his Dad and drawing sketches of George Liquor (AMERICAN!) and that alone should be worth a few bucks.

Peter Mayhew (the actor inside the Chewbacca suit in the original Star Wars trilogy) needs a golf cart so he can maybe take part in the Chewbacchus 2013 Parade!
A Ride for THE Wookiee (Millenium Falcon Golfcart)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
New sequel to The Gamers. If you like RPG games, or just nerd humor, you'll like their stuff. See also: JourneyQuest.
The Gamers: Hands of Fate

• Locked thread