Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I wasn't talking about it defensively. In fact no one has. It's usefulness lies in its buff which is ridiculous enough to make it significantly better than defensive shields. No need to block if you can constantly avoid any offensive with ridiculous dodges while turning around with your own offense with no penalty.

And even then it compares favorably defensively to other shield anyway because 90% reduction means no one is going to chip you to death with regular blows. They would need to be using combustion, which is used for its guard break ability more than its damage through block. Also who the gently caress blocks magic in pvp? You could medium roll every spell in that class and be safe.

Basically all the weaknesses Grass Crest has are also shared by all other medium shields to different degrees but also weighing less while allowing you to effortlessly dodge any potential pressure while coupled with flip ring.

But none of this post matters because

SixtySix posted:

grass shield gives automatic fat roll, hire me FROM

Problem fuckin' fixed. Also it drains life.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Let's ruin the excellent general-use item because I have ideas about the PvP metagame that's not actually a big part of the game at all and thus takes precedence of being a fun and useful item.

(Your ideas are terrible.)

Edit: Not SixtySix's, their ideas are great and I fully endorse FromSoftware hiring them. A shining example of ingenuity.

mdct fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 8, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Let's ruin the excellent general-use item because I have ideas about the PvP metagame that's not actually a big part of the game at all and thus takes precedence of being a fun and useful item.

Edit: Not SixtySix's, their ideas are great and I fully endorse FromSoftware hiring them.

It's not even a PVP thing though, whenever I used to get summoned loads of people used it, even as a regular shield.

BTW does anyone else post in this thread despite having not having played in months

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Titanite stuff will never be finite, right? For some reason I like to spend it as I get it to upgrade everything just to see the results. I got the Bell Gargs tail axe to +5 only to find it does less damage than a +5 normal battle axe and is also slow as poo poo.

e: Also, acquiring that axe from attacking a gargoyle from behind was one of the more 'holy poo poo' moments I've had in this game. This game feels like a labor of love, with all of it's layers of complexity.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

pr0p posted:

Titanite stuff will never be finite, right? For some reason I like to spend it as I get it to upgrade everything just to see the results. I got the Bell Gargs tail axe to +5 only to find it does less damage than a +5 normal battle axe and is also slow as poo poo.

All upgrade materials can be either bought or easily farmed, with the exception of the slabs. Slabs are used in the final upgrade in most weapon upgrade paths, and there is usually only one or two of each type in the game world, and they tend to be well hidden. The regular Titanite Slab is probably the most important one, and the easiest way to get it is to kill the Stray Demon in the Undead Asylum (not easy at all on your first playthrough). There's another one you can get if you complete a side-quest that you will never figure out how to finish without a guide. All of the types of Slabs can also drop from certain enemies, but are exceedingly rare, as in "I have cleared this game over a dozen times and have never seen a slab drop ever" rare.

One notable exception is Demon Titanite, which is used to upgrade some of the boss soul weapons and one or two other weapons. Demon Titanite only drops from Prowling Demons, and there are only three pieces in the game world normally (five if you count the two you can trade for), so to upgrade a weapon to full that requires this material you'll need to kill some Prowling Demons. There is also only one Prowling Demon in the entire game that respawns, and he's more difficult than the others and pretty out of the way. Upgrading more than one weapon that requires Demon Titanite to full will probably require multiple playthroughs.

Twinkling titanite weapons and armor also work a bit differently. You can buy the materials from the blacksmith in Anor Londo, but they're very expensive. There is an enemy you can farm them off of, but the only locations it shows up in are a well hidden optional area and at the very end of one of the more annoying to navigate areas in the game. If you want to upgrade an armor set that uses Twinkling Titanite, I'd recommend waiting until NG+. You should be able to obtain enough in a single playthrough to upgrade a Black Knight weapon to full if you're going for a strength build though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

pr0p posted:

e: Also, acquiring that axe from attacking a gargoyle from behind was one of the more 'holy poo poo' moments I've had in this game. This game feels like a labor of love, with all of it's layers of complexity.

Shards for +5 you can straight up buy from the upgrade guy, Andre. Large shards you can buy later in the game (Takes you to +10), same with Green Shards (Takes you through the beginning of some of the other trees like Magic, Fire, Divine).

The Chunks you can farm but can't buy. Chunks upgrade Normal weapons to +14, Lightning to +4, and the different colors do stuff like Red Chunks level Fire to +9.

Slabs max out an upgrade path and are rare, like once a playthrough rare. Titanite max out Normal to +15 and Lightning to +5, Red Slabs max out Fire to +10, etc etc.

Some special equipment uses Twinkling Titanite. You can buy it but it's pretty expensive early on, 8000 a piece and you need 10 to max out a weapon usually so you end up paying something like 100k to max those out if you don't have any twinkling titanite. You usually find a lot on the crystal geckos roaming around the world though.

It's a bit complicated but the only thing you should be careful of using is Chunks and Slabs, you can pretty much take any weapon to +10 Normal without feeling too bad about it.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

poo poo, now I feel terrible about wasting the only slab I had thus far (I've just now beaten the painting on my first real playthrough) on that lightning spear the mimic drops in Sen's. Ah well, should've called it the Spear of Why Bother Using Anything Else +5, it's so good.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Slabs can be farmed as well, they're just hard as hell to get. That said, New Game+ eliminates concerns about limited items in the long run.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

BTW does anyone else post in this thread despite having not having played in months

I played yesterday, but before that it had been a week or so and I was still constantly looking at the thread. I can't help myself!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats the point in convenants? I joined one that was available at firelink shrine but didn't do anything and just joined one from a dragon

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

Scott Bakula posted:

Whats the point in convenants? I joined one that was available at firelink shrine but didn't do anything and just joined one from a dragon

Broadly speaking, the covenants will make you lean towards one type of online play and give you access to some spells.

The one you were in - Way of White - will give you access to some Miracles now and later on (after doing some sideplot related stuff). The same applies to the Chaos Servant covenant and Pyromancy.

The one you're in now lets you invade people for Dragon Scales, which is great if you plan on using dragon items. The Sunlight Covenant is mainly for helping other people and lets you access some Miracles. The Darkmoon Blades, Forest Covenant, Gravelord Servants and Darkwraiths are mainly there for you to invade/mess up other people's worlds.

edit: Also, being part of some covenants (Princess Guard, Sunbros and Way of White) will let you see or find summon signs from other players who are in the same covenant.

edit 2: So it's personal preference, really. Personally, I find jolly co-operation and assisting a lot more gratifying and wholesome than invading people, but then again, I do suck at invading :haw:

gwaaargh fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 8, 2012

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I think they just allow you to use miracles, which should be purchaseable from the very same NPC. Try them out, and hope against hope that the next spell will be your spell home.

E: Someone both posted a more informed answer and excluded a bad pun. I concede.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'll join the pyromancy covenant then. The camera is bugging out really badly on this second giant tree at ash lake. When I'm on the outside it just spins from one side at a corner then to other a bit further on.

I'm completely lost. I can't seem to find any way out of ash lake

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 8, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Scott Bakula posted:

I'll join the pyromancy covenant then. The camera is bugging out really badly on this second giant tree at ash lake. When I'm on the outside it just spins from one side at a corner then to other a bit further on.

Have you made it through Anor Londo yet? Because if not, you're in for some pain.

Edit: I thought I had saved a youtube link that would walk you through, but I can't find it. Basically you have to go back the way you came. I've never done it, I have enough trouble going down much less having to go up.

EC fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 8, 2012

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Scott Bakula posted:

Only way out is the way you came. This is a lot less trouble if you've got the lordvessel already. It's an optional area - kind of just a cool plot thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Seems there was a ladder I was repeatedly missing since its the same colour as everything else

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)

Mighty Dicktron posted:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You honestly think that this game still has such a big population because everyone is still running through the single player over and over? Why do you think there are multiple covenants purely for PVP? Invading and loving with people is not only a huge part of the game, it's also the best part.

(You are dumb)

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
I should really take the time to look around and explore before making hasty, time-consuming decisions. I got the fire keeper soul from the chapel in Undead Parish and I said to myself "man, I would really like some stronger Estus." So back I went all the way to Firelink Shrine, the longest way. Not only had I failed to unlock the shortcut from Undead Burg to the drake bridge, but also I didn't even see the elevator not ten steps away from the fire keeper soul.

It makes me wonder if I've missed any other important shortcuts or items. I felt I was doing so well when I was exploring with the master key in the beginning and found Valley of the Drakes and got a nifty faith sword and a nice shield next to a giant bone dragon before even heading towards Undead Burg.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thistledown posted:

I should really take the time to look around and explore before making hasty, time-consuming decisions. I got the fire keeper soul from the chapel in Undead Parish and I said to myself "man, I would really like some stronger Estus." So back I went all the way to Firelink Shrine, the longest way. Not only had I failed to unlock the shortcut from Undead Burg to the drake bridge, but also I didn't even see the elevator not ten steps away from the fire keeper soul.

It makes me wonder if I've missed any other important shortcuts or items. I felt I was doing so well when I was exploring with the master key in the beginning and found Valley of the Drakes and got a nifty faith sword and a nice shield next to a giant bone dragon before even heading towards Undead Burg.

Hey at least you didn't instantly consume the soul

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Is there a second version of the Warrior's hard leather armour? I know the Knight has the Elite Knight set. Is there a lighter upgraded armour that I can find for my Warrior that is along the same lines as the hard leather?

I don't want to start dumping upgrades into what I'm wearing if I might run into some better stuff soon. (I'm going between Darkroot Garden and the Depths right now)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got a fair few armour sets now and the gold hemmed set seems by far the best but I can't upgrade it. Should I stick with it or use something else I can upgrade

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Scott Bakula posted:

I've got a fair few armour sets now and the gold hemmed set seems by far the best but I can't upgrade it. Should I stick with it or use something else I can upgrade

What matters is: does it look good? God forbid you're down there in the swamp without some loving style.

Serious answer: it's really up to you and the situation you're in. You might want heavier armor and higher poise if you get to a boss where you're tanking hits. You might want light armor with high resistances if you're in an area with lots of toxic/poison.

I'm several hundred hours in and still mixing and matching armor styles, there is no One True Answer.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The defense on armor never helps that much. Your main concern skills be if it looks good. After that poise is very helpful and heavier armor has more poise per kilo than other sets. Getting 53 poise makes a big difference as then you can take one shot from a claymore class weapon and not stagger. The next border is 74 poise whereupon you can take one shot from the heaviest of weapons (zwei, great club). After that more poise isn't helpful.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Zombie Guy posted:

Is there a second version of the Warrior's hard leather armour? I know the Knight has the Elite Knight set. Is there a lighter upgraded armour that I can find for my Warrior that is along the same lines as the hard leather?

I don't want to start dumping upgrades into what I'm wearing if I might run into some better stuff soon. (I'm going between Darkroot Garden and the Depths right now)

Unless it's just putting a couple of spare shards into +2ing a chest piece you like I wouldn't worry about upgrading armour until near the end of the game. Titanite is much better spent on weapons, shields and then backup weapons like bows and crossbows.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I pretty much used the Knight set for the entire game. It looks cool enough, and has decent poise.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Sheep-Goats posted:

The defense on armor never helps that much. Your main concern skills be if it looks good. After that poise is very helpful and heavier armor has more poise per kilo than other sets. Getting 53 poise makes a big difference as then you can take one shot from a claymore class weapon and not stagger. The next border is 74 poise whereupon you can take one shot from the heaviest of weapons (zwei, great club). After that more poise isn't helpful.

How much poise would I need to take two shots from a zwei? Sometimes dancing is more important than fighting.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Zombie Guy posted:

The Hard Leather armor IS the upgraded set; it's the upgrade to regular Leather armor. It's actually a pretty drat decent set of armor with good resistance vs everything while remaining lightweight. Its only drawback is that it doesn't have any Poise, but there are ways to circumvent that (namely the Wolf Ring). Go for it!

e: never mind, looks like I'm making a Knight w/ 16 INT + FTH

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 8, 2012

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Poise is still helpful over 74 76 for taking multiple hits without staggering, and it regenerates faster the more poise you have (since it regenerates a certain % per second instead of a set amount of poise).

Jizz into Darkness fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 8, 2012

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

kirbyabc posted:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You honestly think that this game still has such a big population because everyone is still running through the single player over and over? Why do you think there are multiple covenants purely for PVP? Invading and loving with people is not only a huge part of the game, it's also the best part.

(You are dumb)

PVP is surely a big part of the game, but I'm glad the developers erred on the side of having good tools for the single player experience when it came to balancing the items. To me Dark Souls is not a game meant to have an end goal for PVP where everything levels off, because said PVP is designed around you running into people who are in the middle of the journey.

Obviously PVP is important and some things needed to be fixed (The fog ring for example), but balancing the items to make sure that people at SL120 can have the maximum amount of fun with 1v1 at end game would be missing the point I think.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
PvP was designed to be way less laggy than it is, is the problem we're seeing, and the balance of items online seems almost accidental. Min/maxing is way less necessary when parrying and dodging actually work.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Anyone recomend a place to practice backstabs? I think I have parrying down, but I can't do a backstab to save my life.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Anyone recomend a place to practice backstabs? I think I have parrying down, but I can't do a backstab to save my life.

Burg. Stop trying to block all the time, if you're blocking you can't backstab.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

pr0p posted:

I think they just allow you to use miracles, which should be purchaseable from the very same NPC. Try them out, and hope against hope that the next spell will be your spell home.

To be fair, the Warriors of Sunlight can't just give divine lightning to any old schmuck who hasn't proved their righteousness.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MediumWellDone posted:

How much poise would I need to take two shots from a zwei? Sometimes dancing is more important than fighting.

Like 140 something. It's really not feasible. And it was 76 poise I should have said earlier, not 74.

Edit:
0 poise: IMO pyro rags are by far the best -- good fire/poison/toxic resists, ok defense. Looks cool. Super light.

55ish poise: Havel gloves and boots, or wolf ring plus black iron gloves, or three pieces of a medium armor set like paladins.

76 poise: Havel chest plus heavy gloves (I think), three pieces of a heavy set (like three giants, or Smough)

Minmaxiest setups: Mother mask plus giant chest, legs, arms for 76. For 55 Havel gloves and boots plus probably dusk hat (or mothers or child, depending on character) and some shirt for looks. Zero cool guy points.

Best armor: Smough chest, Smough leg, Brass guantlet, pig hat. :smug:

raton fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 8, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Best armor: Smough chest, Smough leg, Brass guantlet, pig hat. :smug:

Excuse me I think you mean Xanthous Crown and Balder Leggings on a Very Large frame for maximum terrifying fat guy action :colbert:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Alabaster White posted:

Excuse me I think you mean Xanthous Crown and Balder Leggings on a Very Large frame for maximum terrifying fat guy action :colbert:

Not hollow warrior waistcloth?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Not hollow warrior waistcloth?

The waistcloths work too, I just prefer the Balder Leggings because you can actually see it (or the lack of it) underneath Smough's terrifying bulbous visage.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've pretty much stuck to light stuff now since I've barely levelled endurance and hate being slow. My character looks really loving stupid at the minute in the gold hemmed set with the iaito and spider shield but I like it

How far into Sens Fortress is the bonfire because I keep dying to stupid things.

This game is also seriously long, I've sunk 25 hours into it so far although I've done a bit of grinding

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Scott Bakula posted:

How far into Sens Fortress is the bonfire because I keep dying to stupid things.

Near the end also it's kind of hidden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
It's at the top. You have to actually drop off the side of the fortress where a bit of wall is broken to land on it.

I just finished Sen's fortress and it was such a kick in the pants. I'm sure there won't be any more trap filled areas like that again...

• Locked thread