Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Jimbot posted:

Oh man, if there was ever a face that asked "what are you? loving stupid?" it's that second one.

Aside from an ending, what's the point of doing what triggers that stuff anyway? Max Social link? If so, that Persona better be the greatest one you can make outside of World.

It's one of the ways to max the link yes. The persona you get is Magatsu Izanagi, Adachi's own persona, if the current info is to be believed. Like I said though, it isn't the only way to max the link according to a couple of Japanese and English sources (online guides and the like). The other way is a Normal/True Ending version and advances the automatically after kicking Adachi's rear end. There's claims that the max link item is his letter from the true ending.

So really, this stuff is just included to give the player the option. It's not a good idea and you shouldn't morally do it but it's still giving you the choice about what to do with "your friend" which I kind of appreciate.

edit: oh and the whole Lust arcana thing I mentioned before only happens in the normal/true ending version. Accomplice ending it never changes.

Katsudon fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That is pretty neat. Though it's unrelated, it always kind of bugged me that the level of your social links never really played a part in the main story and effected how characters talk to you in certain situations. Dojima's comes to mind.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

TurnipFritter posted:

Anyway. Here are some cool new ("new") friends for Soul Hackers 3DS:

A design from '92, Military Jacks, Girlboras, Kane in a funny outfit, Thor Forneus and Kawan.

Pretty solid choices, glad they didn't add ****ing Mokoi again or something.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

darealkooky posted:

A design from '92, Military Jacks, Girlboras, Kane in a funny outfit, Thor Forneus and Kawan.

Those are some super cute Jacks, I have to say.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
I believe those Jacks are called "Devil Buster Busters," and they count as one demon? At least they are in my OFFICIAL KAZUMA KANEKO ARTBOOK.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

On the subject of Adachi, I continued watching the Giantbomb Endurance run for Persona 4 and hearing Jeff's reaction to everything Adachi does is friggan hilarious. He can't wrap his mind around the fact that Adachi is acting like a creepy, raper guy. The whole commentary for episode 135 had me in tears.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

darealkooky posted:

They don't have to, Mokoi is already in SH and is awesome because he plays ASCII mini-games with you in negotiations to FC MT1 background music. :colbert:

Actually come to think of it Thor is already in SH. And has a better design too IMO.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Now I want to see Jack Bros: Black (Frost) Ops.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Genpei Turtle posted:

They don't have to, Mokoi is already in SH and is awesome because he plays ASCII mini-games with you in negotiations to FC MT1 background music. :colbert:

Actually come to think of it Thor is already in SH. And has a better design too IMO.

For some reason, a number of the new demons they're adding in are just different designs of demons already in the game.

Rascyc posted:

How good was original Soul Hackers as a game? It's probably one of the only early Megaten games I've never touched, having waited for the fan translation to finish instead of importing it as a college kid at the time.

It's one of the best pre-Nocturne games, but that doesn't mean much in 2012. If you liked Persona 2, you'll probably like Soul Hackers just fine. (If you kinda liked Persona 2 but couldn't get past how slow it is, Soul Hackers 3DS has you covered)

Rinkles posted:

At least it's not quite as lazy as the PS1 cover.

Is this the only other game with Kaneko and Soejima splitting drawing duties?

I believe so.

ExMortis posted:

I believe those Jacks are called "Devil Buster Busters," and they count as one demon? At least they are in my OFFICIAL KAZUMA KANEKO ARTBOOK.

Yes, they're one demon.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
There's a person in SA Mart selling Persona, Soul Hackers, and Digital Devil Story fanbooks, if any of you are interested.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Stupid question inbound!

I just started Persona 3 (my first game of the series), and where's a good place to buy items? Specifically the one that lets you escape the Tartaurus without having to find a teleporter? Also items that revive dudes and refill SP? The pharmacy definitely doesn't sell the escape one, not sure about the latter two.

Enjoying the game! The whole suicide to attack and apparent religion jokes that I haven't gotten to yet kinda make me uncomfortable, but I'm really enjoying the social aspect (probably the most surprising to me), the combat system and the persona/pokemon system.

Is 4 any less weird on the religion and guns to head stuff? Might look into picking it up for the Vita when it comes out.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Soul Glo posted:

Stupid question inbound!

I just started Persona 3 (my first game of the series), and where's a good place to buy items? Specifically the one that lets you escape the Tartaurus without having to find a teleporter? Also items that revive dudes and refill SP? The pharmacy definitely doesn't sell the escape one, not sure about the latter two.

I'm pretty sure you have to synth these at that one place in the mall. Fortune teller or something, I think.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I wouldn't say they're religion 'jokes' so much as references, but no, SMT games as a whole are absolutely chock full of religious and mythological references.

The gun stuff isn't in 4, though and in general the tone is lighter than 3. So it might be more up your alley.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Brother Entropy posted:

I wouldn't say they're religion 'jokes' so much as references, but no, SMT games as a whole are absolutely chock full of religious and mythological references.

The gun stuff isn't in 4, though and in general the tone is lighter than 3. So it might be more up your alley.

Cool, I'll look into Golden then. Don't mean to sound like a stick in the mud, just not interested in fighting God or what have you like the older games have. And apparently Definitely Not Jesus shows up in P3P as apart of a rival SEES team or something like that?

Didn't mean actual joke-y stuff, I guess.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Soul Glo posted:

And apparently Definitely Not Jesus shows up in P3P as apart of a rival SEES team or something like that?

A guy who has long hair and doesn't shave, that's really all he has in common with common whitewashed depictions of Jesus.

e: VVVVV and as we all know, Jesus never wore shirts, killed people for money, and was an albino nihilist.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 8, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

He's also shirtless and wears a band on his head, like the crown of thorns.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I always thought he was supposed to be the antichrist, to go with The protagonists ultimate persona being not-jesus and him literally dying for mankinds sins

I feel like persona 3 was only a good game when it came out, it has some really fuckin amazing parts to it, but it's also got a lot of stupid experimental poo poo and plot/pacing issues that four fixes. It's less "dark" but that's only because persona 3 is dark is a superficial hot topic kind of way, honestly if you look past the HAPPY ANIME INTRO~ and how loving yellow everything is I'd say persona 4 is the darker game, while also not inducing apathy in the player.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 8, 2012

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

darealkooky posted:

I always thought he was supposed to be the antichrist, to go with The best persona being not-jesus and him literally dying for mankinds sins

Takay's Persona is Hypnos, the brother of Thanatos (Death) and Moros (Jin's Persona), and all three are the children of Nyx. Antichrist is a bit of a stretch.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!

Soul Glo posted:

Cool, I'll look into Golden then. Don't mean to sound like a stick in the mud, just not interested in fighting God or what have you like the older games have. And apparently Definitely Not Jesus shows up in P3P as apart of a rival SEES team or something like that?

Didn't mean actual joke-y stuff, I guess.

Literally every game is about killing God, so it's kind of funny that you'd bring that up. If you're just worried about the Catholic God, you should be fine as long as you avoid games like Breath of Fire 2 and Final Fantasy Tactics. It's really up to you what you choose to be offended by, but it can be hard to give advice on the matter without final boss spoilers.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Stupid question inbound!

Enjoying the game! The whole suicide to attack and apparent religion jokes that I haven't gotten to yet kinda make me uncomfortable, but I'm really enjoying the social aspect (probably the most surprising to me), the combat system and the persona/pokemon system.

Is 4 any less weird on the religion and guns to head stuff? Might look into picking it up for the Vita when it comes out.

I have a devoutly Christian friend who was put off by 3 but was a bit more ok with 4. I didn't realize there are enemies that look like flying bibles that are weak to fire early on :v:

It doesn't really treat religion with disrespect as much as it's just Japanese and doesn't realize what exactly it's doing though. Like they made a game where your character can summon Satan sure, but he can summon Lucifer and Beelzebub too who I always thought were all the same being. I think they just flipped open a bunch of religion books and said LET'S DO THIS ONE without completely understanding what they were doing.

Justice posted:

Takay's Persona is Hypnos, the brother of Thanatos (Death) and Moros (Jin's Persona), and all three are the children of Nyx. Antichrist is a bit of a stretch.

That's only because all the main character Personas had a Greek theme though, Takaya's appearance is definitely meant to evoke Jesus.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It doesn't really treat religion with disrespect as much as it's just Japanese and doesn't realize what exactly it's doing though. Like they made a game where your character can summon Satan sure, but he can summon Lucifer and Beelzebub too who I always thought were all the same being. I think they just flipped open a bunch of religion books and said LET'S DO THIS ONE without completely understanding what they were doing.

The best case of this happening was the end of P4 the Animation where they use the power of friendship to summon Lucifer.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

In all fairness Lucifer and Satan are considered to be different from each other I believe.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

PunkBoy posted:

In all fairness Lucifer and Satan are considered to be different from each other I believe.

I'm pretty sure that depends on who you ask.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty sure that depends on who you ask.

As well as which translation of the bible you read.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I tend to think this also, it's something novel and "cool" to use so hey why not. Although I do like reading the Persona descriptions in the Compendium (so I guess they did SOME homework.)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

The best case of this happening was the end of P4 the Animation where they use the power of friendship to summon Lucifer.

Literally the only enjoyable thing about P4A. It was the greatest and most hilarious decision made in that studio.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

As well as which translation of the bible you read.

True. SMT usually take from Gnosticism, right?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Literally the only enjoyable thing about P4A. It was the greatest and most hilarious decision made in that studio.

Gonna have to disagree with the "only enjoyable thing" part, but yeah that scene was pretty awesome.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I just bought P3P because of the sale and I had a quick question. It's been years since I last played FES, so can someone remind me what S. Links are the best? Best in both enjoyability and the persona I can get out of it. Also, can you tell me what date they become available and if there are any stat restrictions to get them. And to clarify, I am playing the Female MC.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Welcome to SMT! :)

Persona 4 is considerably more accessible than than Persona 3 in regards to those things. The main themes and tone center more around a murder mystery and the conflicts that arise inside one's inner self. It also took the base game of Persona 3 improved a lot on a lot of things, both gameplay-wise and storytelling-wise. So if you like 3, I highly recommend trying 4!

darealkooky posted:

honestly if you look past the HAPPY ANIME INTRO~ and how loving yellow everything is I'd say persona 4 is the darker game, while also not inducing apathy in the player.

I agree. That's one of the things I really like about Persona 4, that it really evokes being happy and entertaining and distracting, but with a sense of darkness and broken lives underneath. It's a really good way of expressing one of the consequences of the modern media and commercialization without falling into the trap of demonizing it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

darealkooky posted:

I feel like persona 3 was only a good game when it came out, it has some really fuckin amazing parts to it, but it's also got a lot of stupid experimental poo poo and plot/pacing issues that four fixes. It's less "dark" but that's only because persona 3 is dark [in] a superficial hot topic kind of way
Exactly. P3 really comes off as a proof-of-concept sort of game, which had many aspects refined for the real deal in P4. And the story, good lord is it cheesy. The writing either needed to be a lot better to make the "dark" crap believable, or it should have rolled with it and not taken itself so deathly serious. But unfortunately it did not do either.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I was personally never had a Hot Topic pseudo-deep and goth phase as a teenager, and by the time I played Persona 3 I was 5 years out of my teens, so I didn't find that sort of thing as annoying as when, say, I was 21. I actually found the cheesy aspect of Persona 4 to be endearing. Though it is nice that those parts were broken up by the completely different feel that comes from the social links and school events. I think the alternations in tone is one of the reasons why Persona 3 "works" for me.

It's interesting that the storytelling in Persona 4 starts so strongly, and starts falling apart near the end, while the storytelling in Persona 3 starts weakly and ends up becoming strong near the end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really liked the end of P4. November-December is probably my favorite part of the whole game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I still haven't beaten it but my experience with P3 is that it works much, much better in the Portable remake as a casual/light RPG. Since you can heal at the entrance you don't have to worry too much about resource management between sessions, and the new fatigue system means you can stay in the dungeon pretty much forever if you want. Just fool around in the dungeon until you get bored, put the handheld in Sleep, and pick it up again later and continue to grind. By the time you decide to advance the story a day, you could have been grinding in Tartarus for twelve hours over the course of the past few real-world days. You'll always be in a good position gear and level-wise, and playing it casually and grinding away while watching TV or something masks the fact that it doesn't really seem like there's much going on plotwise in the early game.

P4 on the other hand had a tighter time structure and way more to fill it with, so it seemed like there was always a reason to just play a little while longer and see what happened next - it was engrossing enough to actually make me want to sit my butt down in front of a TV for a few hours each go.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Here's a video of Adachi's rank 8 social link (the one where Pierrot turns into Lust)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BSJ3XUwsgs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

kthegreat posted:

I just bought P3P because of the sale and I had a quick question. It's been years since I last played FES, so can someone remind me what S. Links are the best? Best in both enjoyability and the persona I can get out of it. Also, can you tell me what date they become available and if there are any stat restrictions to get them. And to clarify, I am playing the Female MC.

I don't really think the FeMC has any bad social links, except maybe Emperor. Social linking with your party members is the best part of the game.

If you want to complete Moon(Shinjiro) and Tower(Ryoji), make sure to hang out with them every single time they're available. If you say no to Tower just once, the link will be broken.

Mitsuru still wants you to be a genius before hanging out with her and Akihiko requires you to be a "Queen Bee" I believe, in Charm. Not because he only hangs out with charming girls, but because the other girls will stare daggers at you if you're not charming enough.

You can boost Charm by working in the shops. I always worked in the coffee shop in the evening to boost my Charm.

I would highly recommend dating Akihiko because he gives you the best Christmas present.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dastardly posted:

Here's a video of Adachi's rank 8 social link (the one where Pierrot turns into Lust)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BSJ3XUwsgs

How much more voice acting is there in Golden anyway?

Edit: Are they talking about "dippy bitches" in that scene? I heard Adachi has a thing for "dippy bitches".

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 8, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Nessa posted:

If you want to complete Moon(Shinjiro) and Tower(Ryoji), make sure to hang out with them every single time they're available. If you say no to Tower just once, the link will be broken.

Ryoji was Fortune, not Tower. Tower is the same for both MC and FeMC.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

"Lucifer" in the sense of the devil is actually a misinterpretation of the Hebrew for "day-star" or maybe "shining one", helel, which was used in Isaiah as a reference to the king of Babylon. The passage as a whole is basically Isaiah saying "oh you think you so cool dude, God's going to throw you down" and it somehow got conflated with the idea that the Devil fell from God's good graces. Lucifer, or "light-bearer" was the word used in the Latin versions of the bible that started popping up to translate "helel" from the Hebrew, so the name Lucifer kind of got mixed into that whole mess. The combined version of the thing that eventually became standard Christian mythology is that Lucifer fell and became the Devil.

Satan as it was used originally is something completely different and I'll do a thing on that if you guys want me to but yeah, originally the idea of Satan and Lucifer are two totally distinct concepts. Now of course they've all been stuck together into one guy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder where the idea for the six tits came from. Heavy Metal?

In Golden, do unused party members gain exp? It was a terrible, grinding pain to keep everyone on the same level so I just formed an A team and stuck with them the entire time. In the end they had 30+ levels over everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Jimbot posted:

I wonder where the idea for the six tits came from. Heavy Metal?

In Golden, do unused party members gain exp? It was a terrible, grinding pain to keep everyone on the same level so I just formed an A team and stuck with them the entire time. In the end they had 30+ levels over everyone else.

It really wasn't difficult to keep everyone around the same level. They'll end up below the main character by ten levels or so, but all you have to do is swap your party out every few levels and they'll stay even with each other. Low level dudes gain experience at a silly rate, so it doesn't even take long to get a 30+ under leveled character up to speed.