Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

3D gear jumping titans

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mithaldu posted:

The weird part is that the deviant talked about the thing in the neck, which up until now had been humans, and then expressed ignorance about whether humans can speak. This implies to me that the deviant might be a titan with a not-human in the neck. If that means all other titans also have something in the neck that might not be a human, then that could explain why they all look like caricatures. Their driving entities don't quite know how humans are meant to look like.

Now that you mention it, the only Titans with normally proportioned bodies have been the armored guy, Annie, and Erin, right? The others have all had something off about them, like longer torsos, larger heads, or shorter legs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The world is very large, and ordinary titans don't seem capable of communicating very well. It is possible that the sasquatch and company simply never found the city.

bondster
May 6, 2007

This manga is so loving amazing, All its characters who appear to be strong willed ALWAYS break down right before they are terribly killed :smith: It was looking up for that guy too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
One day something good will happen to someone in this manga. It'll be a little flower that springs up in the shelled out no-man's land between trenches, and it's inevitable destruction will be all the more depressing.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Dumb Wili of the Past posted:

Now we have a group of smallish titans vs the scouting legion and the rookies we haven't seen in some time, so I hope we are getting a rest from all the despair and going for some thrilling but ultimately safe badassness.

Wow, what was I even thinking when I wrote that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

Sindai posted:

That was a very interesting series of events because it implies that there are at least two factions of titans, considering one has active infiltrators in the human military and the other isn't even aware of what language humans speak.

Huh? Bigfoot-dude only says that "he was pretty sure we speak the same language" and asks if Mike is too scared to speak. He's reacting to the fact that Mike isn't answering him, not expressing any actual ignorance.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Hodgepodge posted:

Huh? Bigfoot-dude only says that "he was pretty sure we speak the same language" and asks if Mike is too scared to speak. He's reacting to the fact that Mike isn't answering him, not expressing any actual ignorance.

He also doesn't know what 3D gear is and can only guess as to what the swords are for. He obviously doesn't know much about humans

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It was the worst day for humanity, again.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo.

I wonder what this means towards the origin of the Giants, and their organization. I mean, are these Sasquatch at all related or even connected to the human-piloted giants? Are these two different factions? What's going on???

God this manga owns. This twist made everything incredibly more :aaaaa:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

pandaK posted:

3D gear jumping titans

Oh god please, nightmare fuel

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

TheHan posted:

He also doesn't know what 3D gear is and can only guess as to what the swords are for. He obviously doesn't know much about humans

Yeah, but that only tells us that his people are interested in learning more about the humans. Presumably, Annie's mission could be a longer-term factfinding project that hasn't returned substantial data yet.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
He knows nothing of the 3d gear though which they have been using atleast 10 years.

Which is weird as hell.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
It's times like this that make the slow release a benefit to the series. If I had been marathoning through, which I would because I want something good to happen, this would have been :aaa:, not :aaaaa:

As it stands. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Schwarzwald posted:

I've got to say that with virtually every month seeming to contain a worst day for humanity, this is one hell of an examination of the human will to survive.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zasze posted:

He knows nothing of the 3d gear though which they have been using atleast 10 years.

Which is weird as hell.

All that means is the sasquatch doesn't know much about the humans of this city. We've always assumed that there weren't any survivors elsewhere, but what if that isn't the case? Other groups of humans might have come up with wildly different methods for fighting titans. Naturally, those other groups must have been wiped out by now.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
So after this chapter, titan-wise, it looks like we have two enemy factions with titans, possibly three:

1) city titans. People like Eren's dad who seem to be making humanoid titans and using them for some purpose. They've been hiding the fact that titans are intelligent. Ability to control titans they're not inside is unknown, but they're probably behind the titans in the walls.

2) foreign titans. They don't seem to treat titan intelligence as a secret, assume that the humans know *why* stabbing a titan in the neck kills them, and aren't sure of the city language or equipment. If I had to guess, I'd say they expect that the city has their own titans somewhere. The smaller titan that nearly ate the guy at the end didn't seem to be an intelligent titan, which means the FT group has some ability to control other non-intelligent titans.

3) the rest of them. Presumably some of the titans are "wild" and are outside the control of the other two groups.

If the humans survive this, it's either a) going to be by virtue of Group 1 pulling a Big drat Villains and fighting against Group 2 or b) because Group 2 wants something other than their complete destruction and Group 1 helps to fix things. Either way, it's kind of sobering to think that the best hope the heroes have lies with the villains.

This story is the grimmest story I've ever seen that was also good. It's amazing how this story manages to avoid atrocity fatigue.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Holy loving poo poo, this manga is amazing. I've seen the thread floating around for a while, but somehow managed to get entirely the wrong idea about it. I sort of thought it was a sport one. Yeah, sounds really stupid, but I'm sure there's something with a similar title that's about some kind of sport. Thought it was metaphorical giants rather than actual ones.

Anyway, saw Zorak's tweet about it tonight, found out it was entirely different, and thought I'd read a bit. And then I was hooked, and couldn't stop reading the manga and this thread, and now it's three in the morning. Well, ten to. But if I'm right, that was three years of this, and now I have to wait and argh.

I really like that most of the main characters are actually really competent, it's just that the giants are so overwhelmingly powerful that things just don't go well.

I've given up on speculation. Every time I think I have a handle on what's going on, something else crazy happens.

Bigfoot Giant is a sarcastic dick. "Oh, so he can speak after all."

Edit: Giant Killing! That was the one I was mixing it up with.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 9, 2012

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

pandaK posted:

3D gear jumping titans

Or net-wielding titans!

Wait, they never fully explained what powers the 3D Gear, right?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Lepecard posted:

Or net-wielding titans!

Wait, they never fully explained what powers the 3D Gear, right?

Pressurized gas canisters

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

pandaK posted:

Pressurized gas canisters

Ohh,that's right.

Well, this sounds dumb but what if they were canisters of pressurized titan gas?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lepecard posted:

Ohh,that's right.

Well, this sounds dumb but what if they were canisters of pressurized titan gas?
What does that even mean?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Elysiume posted:

Fart joke?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Elysiume posted:

He means the gas titans give off when they die I guess? Though I thought that was just steam.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Elysiume posted:

Was jokingly asking a "what if" since there's so many mysteries surrounding the titan's physiology like the steam they let off.

Like what if it turns out the fuel used in that gear was something made from titans.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Lepecard posted:

Was jokingly asking a "what if" since there's so many mysteries surrounding the titan's physiology like the steam they let off.

Like what if it turns out the fuel used in that gear was something made from titans.

not every plot device has to tie into each other.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Einander posted:

So after this chapter, titan-wise, it looks like we have two enemy factions with titans, possibly three:

1) city titans. People like Eren's dad who seem to be making humanoid titans and using them for some purpose. They've been hiding the fact that titans are intelligent. Ability to control titans they're not inside is unknown, but they're probably behind the titans in the walls.

2) foreign titans. They don't seem to treat titan intelligence as a secret, assume that the humans know *why* stabbing a titan in the neck kills them, and aren't sure of the city language or equipment. If I had to guess, I'd say they expect that the city has their own titans somewhere. The smaller titan that nearly ate the guy at the end didn't seem to be an intelligent titan, which means the FT group has some ability to control other non-intelligent titans.

3) the rest of them. Presumably some of the titans are "wild" and are outside the control of the other two groups.

If the humans survive this, it's either a) going to be by virtue of Group 1 pulling a Big drat Villains and fighting against Group 2 or b) because Group 2 wants something other than their complete destruction and Group 1 helps to fix things. Either way, it's kind of sobering to think that the best hope the heroes have lies with the villains.

This story is the grimmest story I've ever seen that was also good. It's amazing how this story manages to avoid atrocity fatigue.

It all makes sense now. This is a pre-prequel to Nausicaa: Valley of the Winds, the first God Warrior prototypes. Things haven't even begun to get as bad as they can yet.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The titian in the wall are still alive after hundreds of years so the alternative to Bigfoot giant being from very far away is it being very old. Titans might be immortal as long as they aren't killed, which is pretty hard to do.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Also that one titan thats holding its stomach when the guy is on the roof is going to give me nightmares forever for some reason.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Holy poo poo :stare:

The giant with the big eyes and the Bigfoot giant are both creepy as gently caress. Especially the long arms on the Bigfoot giant. Jesus christ. When he crushed it and the eyeball popped out oh poo poo

Now I just have no idea what is going on. Bigfoot killed that smaller giant without even caring. You'd think that if his buddy was inside it, he wouldn't be so quick to kill him. I wonder if the previous poster that said the small, weird looking giants have non-humans inside them and there's a bunch of squirrels going around eating people as titans.

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 10, 2012

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Holy poo poo :stare:

The giant with the big eyes and the Bigfoot giant are both creepy as gently caress. Especially the long arms on the Bigfoot giant. Jesus christ. When he crushed it and the eyeball popped out oh poo poo

Now I just have no idea what is going on. Bigfoot killed that smaller giant without even caring. You'd think that if his buddy was inside it, he wouldn't be so quick to kill him. I wonder if the previous poster that said the small, weird looking giants have non-humans inside them and there's a bunch of squirrels going around eating people as titans.

It's also entirely possible the smaller giants are sort of like...you know how zombies are in movies? How Bob is Bob until he's Zombie Bob and then you don't have any problem shooting him in the face because he's not really Bob anymore, he's just a mindless brain-feasting machine? That, essentially.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I don't know how anyone is getting the idea that there are factions of titans running around. Sasquatch was toying with Foreigner-kun because he is actually, get this, a sadistic giant monkey thing. He's that crazy monkey character manga authors love to throw in every now and then. None of the titans probably have any knowledge of what the 3d gear actually are considering they've really only begun their push back when the Colossal Titan kicked down the doors of whatever Wall that was, and perhaps this guy just thought he could gain points with Doctor Vegapunk by bringing the intel back.

I'm also getting slightly weary of it being the worst day in human history, ever, ever ever, again. And I'm pretty sure this is at least the third time we've seen someone say something or act in a certain way, only for it to be superimposed over an image of said person being digested in the same or next chapter.

Minor gripes, I'm still well interested, but they're there.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

At this point I'm surprised the soldiers don't all wear high-explosive deadman switches. They probably stand a good chance of taking out the neck when eaten.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nilbop posted:

I don't know how anyone is getting the idea that there are factions of titans running around. Sasquatch was toying with Foreigner-kun because he is actually, get this, a sadistic giant monkey thing. He's that crazy monkey character manga authors love to throw in every now and then. None of the titans probably have any knowledge of what the 3d gear actually are considering they've really only begun their push back when the Colossal Titan kicked down the doors of whatever Wall that was, and perhaps this guy just thought he could gain points with Doctor Vegapunk by bringing the intel back.

I'm also getting slightly weary of it being the worst day in human history, ever, ever ever, again. And I'm pretty sure this is at least the third time we've seen someone say something or act in a certain way, only for it to be superimposed over an image of said person being digested in the same or next chapter.

Minor gripes, I'm still well interested, but they're there.

The human titans are clearly a different faction than this new guy, and I don't see any reason yet given to think of them as anything but Titans. Also with the Scouting Legion going out all the time it's hard to see the 3rd Gear as something that would be unknown to local/usual wall breaking Titans.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Shugojin posted:

At this point I'm surprised the soldiers don't all wear high-explosive deadman switches. They probably stand a good chance of taking out the neck when eaten.
My god, you're right.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Gyges posted:

The human titans are clearly a different faction than this new guy, and I don't see any reason yet given to think of them as anything but Titans. Also with the Scouting Legion going out all the time it's hard to see the 3rd Gear as something that would be unknown to local/usual wall breaking Titans.

No they're not. Sasquatch talks about the thing in the back of "our necks." He's a human titan. Also bear in mind that 99% of the giant forces are mindless fart-around-and-eat-people giants that don't seem to have any minds, whereas the titans themselves are all geared toward specific purposes, be it breaking the wall or crashing through reinforced gates. They're bred or built or trained for certain things, and stuff like "why can the humans jump and move so well" isn't an issue for them most of the time. They're winning anyway, there's no impetus.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Nilbop posted:

No they're not. Sasquatch talks about the thing in the back of "our necks." He's a human titan. Also bear in mind that 99% of the giant forces are mindless fart-around-and-eat-people giants that don't seem to have any minds, whereas the titans themselves are all geared toward specific purposes, be it breaking the wall or crashing through reinforced gates. They're bred or built or trained for certain things, and stuff like "why can the humans jump and move so well" isn't an issue for them most of the time. They're winning anyway, there's no impetus.

No? Human-titans are very clearly human piloted, that is to say, there's no "thing" in their giant-necks, they ARE the thing in their giant necks. As far we know, wild giants "lack" this human. At the very least, no cut open giant neck has revealed one yet, and Eren has proven capable of doing just that on the clearly more intelligent human-piloted giants.

The Sasquatch clearly treats the thing in the back of his neck as something else, probably the equivalent that "standard" giants have. Further, he's clearly not human just because he has really no reason to lie otherwise. He states clearly that he is not human, that he has only a vague idea of humanity, and is totally unfamiliar with their 3D Gear, something that as far as we can tell has been part of human repertoire for decades now.

He's also clearly different from the other human-piloted Titans in appearance alone. He's not human-featured, but he's not as twisted as the other non-human giants, he seems much more... biological.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nilbop posted:

I assume that all "deviate" titans are actually human titans. However since we know that human titans live amongst the populace and serve in the military his not knowing about the 3D gear and comments about speaking the same language indicate he is separate from the known "faction" of human titans. So you've got Eren and perhaps other as yet unknown "pro-human" titans, Annie and her infiltrating "anti-wall" titans, Sasquatch who seems "anti-human" as well as being ignorant of at least the local humans and their tech, and the "mindless" titans who seem to make up the majority of the titans. Presumably all of the deviates fit into one of the three non-mindless groups, and since Eren types are essentially titan humans instead of human titans you're left with what looks like two groups or factions of human titans.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

I assume that all "deviate" titans are actually human titans. However since we know that human titans live amongst the populace and serve in the military his not knowing about the 3D gear and comments about speaking the same language indicate he is separate from the known "faction" of human titans. So you've got Eren and perhaps other as yet unknown "pro-human" titans, Annie and her infiltrating "anti-wall" titans, Sasquatch who seems both anti-human as well as ignorant of at least the local humans and their tech, and the "mindless" titans who seem to make up the majority of the titans. Presumably all of the deviates fit into one of the three non-mindless groups, and since Eren types are essentially titan humans instead of human titans you're left with what looks like two groups or factions of human titans.

We have no evidence that Annie is "Anti-Wall". The only thing she's done is tried to capture Eren, for whatever reason. We know not the motivation of her masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Uh, there was a titan who knew a heck of a lot about 3D gear: Annie.

I don't get what's so hard to understand, or why so many words have to be said to get to the pretty simple conclusion that Orangutitan and whoever he represents, and Annie and whoever she represents, haven't had much contact. Two different factions. Not necessarily with conflicting goals, as we don't know any Titan's goal yet, but different factions.