Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Belzac posted:

I've never really played any of the Samurai Warriors games beyond the first one but none of them do anything with the Japanese-Korean war do they? I think that be a neat change of scenery. They could add Yi Sun-Sin as a character since he's a historical badass sea captain. It seems strange to have a historical war that most of the characters in the series fought in not be part of the game.
They talk about preparing for an invasion of the mainland sometimes but I don't think ever actually did it. You're right, it would be pretty awesome, but you also need to consider the current political climate between Japan and Korea right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

They talk about preparing for an invasion of the mainland sometimes but I don't think ever actually did it. You're right, it would be pretty awesome, but you also need to consider the current political climate between Japan and Korea right now.

Yeah now that I think about it I think Nobunaga's ending mentions him preparing to invade China. That's clever since Hideyoshi said the reason he tried it was because he was carrying on Nobunaga's ambition.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Here's to hoping Warriors Orochi 3 or DW7 will have an us/eu PC release, i've been playing the DW series for several years now, but not having a console means i can only play Warriors orochi 1 or DW4(never liked dw6), both are awesome though and unlocking everything in Warriors Orochi takes a lifetime, but i've mostly gone through it already.

After my last xbox went rrod i have been contemplating on buying a new one but not sure if its worth it just to play DW7/WO3 :|

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Since we're speculating again about other decent historical settings / people of interest that KOEI should consider for future Warriors installments, I think they should have a Warriors Orochi that pulls across a broader expanse of time to soak in some more heroes from much more distant eras. Hittites, Assyrians, Sumerians, Phoenicians, Egyptians, Romans, Huns, Vandals, Franks etc... There's a good pile of notable heroes to come out of all of those eras that could also provide a lot of stylistic / weapon flare.

Plus, it could invest a bit of actual historic curiosity and respect. Whereas courtesy of reading some dry-assed world history texts in high school and college gave me a general understanding of the 3 kingdoms period of China, I became curious about specific officers and the fictionalized novel courtesy of the games. I would think that there would be a net gain in there somewhere when a person pauses and thinks that there must be more to Ramesses II, than a 7 foot tall bare chested wrecking machine that shoots lasers from his eyes and fire from a khopesh.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

I've always wanted a Warriors game set in America during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars because why the hell not? :911:
I'd love to see a crazy Japanese take on George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, among others.

I know it'll never happen, but a man can always dream.

Egadsman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 9, 2012

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Belzac posted:

I've never really played any of the Samurai Warriors games beyond the first one but none of them do anything with the Japanese-Korean war do they? I think that be a neat change of scenery. They could add Yi Sun-Sin as a character since he's a historical badass sea captain. It seems strange to have a historical war that most of the characters in the series fought in not be part of the game.

Maybe they just don't want to talk about the time they got their behinds handed to them by the Koreans.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Egadsman posted:

I've always wanted a Warriors game set in America during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars because why the hell not? :911:
I'd love to see a crazy Japanese take on George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, among others.
The reason that they're using Japanese and Chinese history is it's because what their local market is familiar with, they wouldn't know much in-depth about American history. It sure looks like Troy Musou was a flop, I don't think Koei is going to attempt another Western musou game any time soon. I think it's the most basic game mechanics of the series that most people in the west don't like, so unless they are contemplating changing that, making a musou game specifically NOT for Japan would be pretty foolish.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
I have always wanted a Dynasty Warriors: World War 2, mostly so I could run around a battle field as Anne Frank and turn invisible or something equally silly.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

The reason that they're using Japanese and Chinese history is it's because what their local market is familiar with, they wouldn't know much in-depth about American history. It sure looks like Troy Musou was a flop, I don't think Koei is going to attempt another Western musou game any time soon. I think it's the most basic game mechanics of the series that most people in the west don't like, so unless they are contemplating changing that, making a musou game specifically NOT for Japan would be pretty foolish.

This is a pretty good assessment of the situation. One of the main reasons Musou games are popular is because Sangoku/Sengoku are such popular settings for their core audience of Japanese players. I think an interesting time period that would appeal to that audience might be going back to China for something like the the 16 kingdoms, Spring and Autumn, or China's own Warring States period.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So here's some more DW7: Empires screens

If the game really has only 7 areas to capture, then Next really is the true DW7: Empires.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Belzac posted:

One of the main reasons Musou games are popular is because Sangoku/Sengoku are such popular settings for their core audience of Japanese players.
This, full stop -- a lot of the writing is already done for them thanks to the audience already being immersed in the basics of the story, so as with other Three Kingdoms or Sengoku adaptations they just have to throw in their own tweaks such as their own take on the fall of Shu.

(For example, one take on the Liu Bei-Sun Shangxiang marriage: "Imagine a big, wild, sorority party. -- Except all the sorority sisters have swords. Now imagine Zhao Yun as the cop coming over to end the party." Alternately, in 2010's Three Kingdoms, Liu Bei being obligated to literally swordfight her veil off while he's drunk.)

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

If the game really has only 7 areas to capture, then Next really is the true DW7: Empires.
If you are basing that on that Wu picture, I really don't think that is the case... the fact that the arrow is pointing to a smaller shaded area suggests to me that there are many more.

And this image is getting me giddy, and I don't even know what any of it is.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

If you're basing that 7 areas off of this picture:
http://andriasang.com/con1v3/dw7_empires_screens/images/2436o/

...then I'd say it's a pretty safe bet there are more than 7 areas. It loos more like there are 6 factions and this player is invading one small province of the north AI. I base this entirely off of how badly shaped the larger province looking areas are. Jingzhou is split into three different areas, Yizhou is split in half, and Jiangzhou is split in half as well.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 9, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

And this image is getting me giddy, and I don't even know what any of it is.

I think that's just a post-battle results screen.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

I think that's just a post-battle results screen.

Yeah, but percentages, multipliers... I'm liking where it is going.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

abagofcheetos posted:

Yeah, but percentages, multipliers... I'm liking where it is going.
It really doesn't look very interesting to me. Amount of fame gained, modified by number of enemy kills and allied losses, difficulty level and so on.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
These games are so drat silly. I love em.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

It really doesn't look very interesting to me. Amount of fame gained, modified by number of enemy kills and allied losses, difficulty level and so on.

Oh really? I thought it would be something cooler than that :(

Maybe I am just weird for wanting all sorts of city building and economic type stuff to be added.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

abagofcheetos posted:

Oh really? I thought it would be something cooler than that :(

Maybe I am just weird for wanting all sorts of city building and economic type stuff to be added.
Well, it has six stats at the bottom: valor, respect (from your citizens I assume), order, strategy, economy, and treason. I don't know much about the Empires series so those may be the normal stats or not, I dunno.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 9, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

If Samurai Warriors 3: Empires had even a remote amount of strategy and force infrastructure like SW2E then it would be the best Empires game ever.

I mean, gently caress, look at this.

That's a beta version screenshot but god drat Castle Town was the best thing they ever added to the franchise. Being able to build your own city and have it directly affect your army and officers, unlocking new hidden types and evolving buildings, it was all incredibly fun.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
oh my god

That is never being released in the US, is it? I haven't played any of the Samurai games, I didn't even realize that was a thing.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I loved Sengoku Basara, but I found DW7 to be utterly terrible. Controls were stiff and awkward, animations were bad as well. Is Samurai Warriors or Warriors Orochi worth checking out or do I need to bite the bullet and import SB:Utage?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

I loved Sengoku Basara, but I found DW7 to be utterly terrible. Controls were stiff and awkward, animations were bad as well. Is Samurai Warriors or Warriors Orochi worth checking out or do I need to bite the bullet and import SB:Utage?
Yeah, Basara's animations are better I think, and other Warriors games will have the same controls and animations as DW7, for the most part. Maybe just get Utage.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

or do I need to bite the bullet and import SB:Utage?

I wouldn't import Utage at this time. Sengoku Basara HD Collection comes out at the end of next month and includes Basara 1, 2, and 2: Heroes on one disc for about the same price.

abagofcheetos posted:

oh my god

That is never being released in the US, is it? I haven't played any of the Samurai games, I didn't even realize that was a thing.

Nope. It's never getting a US release. On the plus side, Koei Warriors has a fantastic translation guide and a lot of the information in the Samurai Warriors 3 Z translation guides apply to it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So I was into Dynasty Warriors years ago, and I'd like to pick up 7 for nostalgia's sake. Do I buy 7, 7 and XL, just XL? How do the XL versions work these days? The only one I used was 3 or 4 back in the PS2 disc swapping days. Do they use the same data now (do you keep levels/stuff from 7 in XL or do you have to earn it all over again?). Also is it better on PS3 or 360? Thanks.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Karnegal posted:

So I was into Dynasty Warriors years ago, and I'd like to pick up 7 for nostalgia's sake. Do I buy 7, 7 and XL, just XL? How do the XL versions work these days? The only one I used was 3 or 4 back in the PS2 disc swapping days. Do they use the same data now (do you keep levels/stuff from 7 in XL or do you have to earn it all over again?). Also is it better on PS3 or 360? Thanks.

If you just want to get back into it I'd just pick up 7 for starters and if you burn through that and want more, get XL. XL is best thought of as an expansion pack. It adds more content and characters but you need to disk swap to play the old content with the new features.

You can take all your levels and items and etc from 7 to XL but not from XL back to 7. So if you're a person that plays for achieves you'll want to max out 7 first before moving on to XL. You can still use the disk swapping to play 7's content but you'll still be considered in XL for achievements.

I only play Warriors games on PlayStation but the Xbox version is a direct port minus the possibility of using XL. If you have the option of one or the other, probably PS3 because it's the native console and the option to play more is there if you want it.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 9, 2012

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Belzac posted:

If you just want to get back into it I'd just pick up 7 for starters and if you burn through that and want more, get XL. XL is best thought of as an expansion pack. It adds more content and characters but you need to disk swap to play the old content with the new features.

You can take all your levels and items and etc from 7 to XL but not from XL back to 7. So if you're a person that plays for achieves you'll want to max out 7 first before moving on to 7. You can still use the disk swapping to play 7's content but you'll still be considered in XL for achievements.

I only play Warriors games on PlayStation but the Xbox version is a direct port minus the possibility of using XL. If you have the option of one or the other, probably PS3 because it's the native console and the option to play more is there if you want it.

Thanks, that helps. I'm gonna Amazon this in!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I decided to try the PS3 Zill O'll game out, so far I'm fairly liking it, but the introductory period is pretty drat long. It's just a nice simple dungeon crawler hacknslash with (for the most part) the same mechanics as a musou game.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

I decided to try the PS3 Zill O'll game out, so far I'm fairly liking it, but the introductory period is pretty drat long. It's just a nice simple dungeon crawler hacknslash with (for the most part) the same mechanics as a musou game.

I've never played it but it reminds me of Crimson Sea 2 which I played because it had a trailer in some DW game. It was decidedly "ok".

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Karnegal posted:

Thanks, that helps. I'm gonna Amazon this in!

Keep checking Newegg, they are selling 7 for $20 and XL for $30. 7 is out of stock right now, but it seems to fluctuate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879247044
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879247048

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Wait a minute I just thought about this: I read on the Koei Wiki that the Download requires 22 GB, but then it said that you will only need 11 after it's in your HHD. Does that mean the Download it self is just 11 GB and just need room to put everything in there right, or am I about to be called a dumbass for thinking this? I really don't know the internal workings of stuff like this, I just need to know whenever I'll be able to squeak under my download limit for the month. :v:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, the game is like 11 gigs but the PS3 needs twice that amount of space available temporarily to install it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, the game is like 11 gigs but the PS3 needs twice that amount of space available temporarily to install it.

Oh sweet! Buying this poo poo yesterday.

e: 3200 minutes to download. Perhaps I should have bought this yesterday.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 10, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Anyone playing Pokemon Conquest? I just picked it back up after a few weeks. Is there a strategy to delegating? I feel like I should be setting all my cities to 'search' but I dunno.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm, Zill O'll would be a lot more fun if the camera didn't go completely psycho when locked onto a large enemy in close quarters, which is usually how you end up fighting them. In general it's a pretty ho-hum game anyway.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I could be just me, but in WO3 does the Samurai Warriors Muosu attacks seem very weak? It honestly feels stronger to just do the Muosu special attacks most of the time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The GIG posted:

I could be just me, but in WO3 does the Samurai Warriors Muosu attacks seem very weak? It honestly feels stronger to just do the Muosu special attacks most of the time.
I think they're only any good if your life is almost gone and it adds that extra REALLY powerful thing onto the end.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Anyone playing Pokemon Conquest? I just picked it back up after a few weeks. Is there a strategy to delegating? I feel like I should be setting all my cities to 'search' but I dunno.

If it is your first play through, it honestly doesn't matter because most of the warriors and pokémon you will get wont be strong enough to stand up against the people you need to fight.

In the post game content, you want to have enough warriors with strong enough pokémon to staff your border cities so you don't need to play grabass with the AI, especially a big country who will keep attacking you. Also in the post game you will want a bunch of money so you can upgrade fields and get all the different pokémon.

Despite your link level resetting in each new mission, I strongly suggest getting anyone who's pokémon are near evolution to evolve because evolutions remain even after you finish a mission and it will make beating other missions much easier, specifically Kiyomasa and Masanori who have trouble with their mission because their starting pokémon isn't strong and there aren't many warriors you can recruit in them.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've never seen a delegated city pick up a pokemon, so I always have them search until there's no officers to hire then switch to training themselves. If it's a border town that might get attacked, the energy boosting one might be more helpful because of the tiny amount of experience training gives would be outweighed in the short term by more energetic pokemon. That's all guesswork though, I haven't tried the tougher scenarios yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

The GIG posted:

Depends on the warrior, because Ginchiryo's musou is devastating in fights with generals, and is a joy to behold the combo meter when you catch about twenty halpless fuckers in it and watch them bounce away.