Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
So Criterion has added Eraserhead to their Hulu channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I was looking through the Criterion catalog to see what I may want to get during the sale. I'm pretty set on getting The Gold Rush and Blow Out, but could use some opinions on The Samurai Trilogy, The Lady Vanishes, Chungking Express, Vanya on 42nd St. and La Haine.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The only one of those I don't like is Vanya.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

kaujot posted:

So Criterion has added Eraserhead to their Hulu channel.

They haven't announced their October releases yet. This plus the Rosemary's Baby clue awhile back could be good news.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

GrandpaPants posted:

could use some opinions on The Samurai Trilogy

I went to Barnes & Noble last week and placed an in-store hold on Samurai Trilogy just to make absolutely sure that I can purchase it on day one of the sale without waiting for delivery.

My opinion of it is rather high.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I put a blu ray of Night of the Hunter on hold at my Barnes & Noble, but I'd like to try and get some movies I haven't seen. Has anyone here seen Alambrista? I love American independent films and the clip on the Criterion site looks like my kind of thing. Then again, I've been meaning to watch the Three Colours trilogy and this might be my chance to get them for an affordable price.

I'm also curious about the complete Jean Vigo set and the Jean Painleve Science is Fiction set.

Any recommendations?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's hard because I don't know what you haven't seen, but the Three Colors trilogy is astounding, as is The Double Life Of Veronique (but I'm totally using this sale to finally buy Topsy Turvy, which I adore far too much to not own).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's hard because I don't know what you haven't seen, but the Three Colors trilogy is astounding, as is The Double Life Of Veronique (but I'm totally using this sale to finally buy Topsy Turvy, which I adore far too much to not own).

Well, I was hoping for specifics out of that bunch (I'm really leaning toward the Painleve set after watching some clips, just watching that octopus is fascinating) but if there's anything similar I'm open to it. Although Three Colours is really tempting.

Other stuff I haven't seen but was eyeing: Robinson Crusoe on Mars, Belle de Jour, the Hollis Frampton set, Tanner '88, and Vampyr.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just a reminder, Blu editions of Mr. Hulot's Holiday and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp will probably be out before the end of the year.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TrixRabbi posted:

Other stuff I haven't seen but was eyeing: Robinson Crusoe on Mars, Belle de Jour, the Hollis Frampton set, Tanner '88, and Vampyr.

If you like Altman you'll probably enjoy Tanner '88 (though have you seen Secret Honor?), and it's hard to nix Vampyr. Someone around here recently described it as being surprisingly David Lynch-y, which is accurate. It has that same off-kilter feel and I sincerely regret selling it a couple years ago.

Egbert Souse posted:

Mr. Hulot's Holiday

This is beyond good news. I love Playtime (thanks again for that) but I think Holiday tops it just by sheer force of good will.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If you like Altman you'll probably enjoy Tanner '88 (though have you seen Secret Honor?), and it's hard to nix Vampyr. Someone around here recently described it as being surprisingly David Lynch-y, which is accurate. It has that same off-kilter feel and I sincerely regret selling it a couple years ago.
I really don't get a Lynch vibe off Vampyr, except insofar as Vampyr this wildly evocative, atmospheric film that really doesn't feel like it exists in quite the same space as most films employing the institutional mode. Dreyer's film is way more visual than Lynch's films tend to be: Lynch likes building place by narrative construction (e.g., revealing to the audience how the narrative world works by having his characters---who are usually as in the dark as the audience---trying to navigate through it) and deep, elaborate sound design; Dreyer's film is amost entirely visual---it's difficult to imagine how it could be more visually driven without turning into an experimental piece (like, I dunno, Oshima's Band of Ninja (1967) or something).

If anything, I see Dreyer influencing say the experimental films of Maya Deren, and Lynch being influenced by them. I'm not saying it's necessarily one or the other, mind you. I just see the lingering stillness of the striking compositions in Vampyr being influential on later experimental filmmakers, who added their new ideas about narrative (rather than just visual) composition, and that this is the `stuff' that is most striking about how Lynch constructs films.

Unrelated to all that, has there ever been an R1 DVD or bluray release of Vadim's Blood and Roses, which is based on the same source material? With the release of Twins of Evil (1971) coming up making the all of the films in the Hammer Karnstein Trilogy available, the recent Image release of Crypt of the Vampire (1964), and the Blue Underground release of The Blood Spattered Bride (1972) from a couple years ago you've got a whole lesbian vampire film festival consisting entirely of films based (however loosely) on Le Fanu's Carmilla. With the caveat that Dreyer's film isn't very lesbiany.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I meant Lynch-y for an old silent film, which tend to be elaborately obvious (not that I'm well-schooled on silent films so maybe I should just shut the hell up) - you're not wrong that Dreyer probably influenced Lynch (through however many degrees of separation) rather than the other way around but I was trying to find a way to tie a modern, well-known director to a relatively obscure film. Man, I love this forum. I will say that I do remember being creeped out by Vampyr in the same way that I am by a typical Lynch film, like they both work from a similar emotional fabric.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I meant Lynch-y for an old silent film, which tend to be elaborately obvious (not that I'm well-schooled on silent films so maybe I should just shut the hell up) - you're not wrong that Dreyer probably influenced Lynch (through however many degrees of separation) rather than the other way around but I was trying to find a way to tie a modern, well-known director to a relatively obscure film. Man, I love this forum. I will say that I do remember being creeped out by Vampyr in the same way that I am by a typical Lynch film, like they both work from a similar emotional fabric.

1. Vampyr is not a silent film.
2. You should probably watch more silent films if you think they're "elaborately obvious".

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Oh my. The sale can be coupled with the buy 2, get 1 free sale. Just got Still Walking, High and Low and My Life as a Dog for $43.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 10, 2012

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

penismightier posted:

1. Vampyr is not a silent film.
2. You should probably watch more silent films if you think they're "elaborately obvious".

1) I thought it was but I'm recalling noise during the death-by-flour sequence. To my (lame, weak) defense it's probably been over two years since I've seen it.
2) You're not wrong. Did/do we have a silent film thread? I've seen a bunch of the classics, which have left me mostly cold (e.g., Sunrise), but I've always had the notion that the further off the beaten path you go with silents, the more interesting they become.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've always had the notion that the further off the beaten path you go with silents, the more interesting they become.

Yeah I'd say that's pretty accurate - a good mantra for film in general.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

robix smash posted:

Oh my. The sale can be coupled with the buy 2, get 1 free sale. Just got Still Walking, High and Low and My Life as a Dog for $43.

That somehow made the sale more dangerous than it usually is. Oh God my wallet, threatening to open for those movies that I sorta kinda want the Criterion of but for this price...

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

robix smash posted:

Oh holy hell, I had to pick up 3 flicks too. Went for a triple feature of Chaplin: Gold Rush, Modern Times, and The Great Dictator for $40. Not bad--I am severely tempted to go for more classics.

edit: For anyone on the fence about The Gold Rush:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk6s_Ac2uYk

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I was only going to get Rushmore and Last Temptation of Christ, but then I saw the B2G1 banner and went in for Godzilla. So tempted to make another order but my poor wallet cant take it this month :(

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 10, 2012

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Man, I'm just gonna buy three and that's it. Now I just have to pick them - I have Topsy Turvy and 3 Women down, now to dawdle over the third.

penismightier posted:

Yeah I'd say that's pretty accurate - a good mantra for film in general.

Which reminds me that I should check Phantom Carriage out from the library (I have a cool library).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Dear god...I did not know about this buy 2 get 1 free deal. Goodbye paycheck.

So all this Vampyr talk has convinced me to buy it. So I might go for Night of the Hunter and Three Colours blu rays totaling around $65 and toss in Vampyr with it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Oh great, there goes another kajillion dollars out of my wallet.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
So there are 171 blurays--if you did enough orders you could buy all of them for about $2400 or so. No way in hell could I drop 2+ grand on movies, but drat that would be an amazing sight to see.

edit: If you paid full price for all of them (assume $39.99 each, although a few box sets are higher) you'd spend almost $7k!

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 10, 2012

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

mod sassinator posted:

Oh holy hell, I had to pick up 3 flicks too. Went for a triple feature of Chaplin: Gold Rush, Modern Times, and The Great Dictator for $40. Not bad--I am severely tempted to go for more classics.

edit: For anyone on the fence about The Gold Rush:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk6s_Ac2uYk

I like how we now have the technology and expertise that we can take 80 year old film that has accumulated all this dirt and debris and other damage, and restore it to the point that anyone with a bluray player in their home can play the movie any time they want in a picture quality that is almost certainly better than the film was shown in at the time.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

GrandpaPants posted:

That somehow made the sale more dangerous than it usually is. Oh God my wallet, threatening to open for those movies that I sorta kinda want the Criterion of but for this price...
Yeah, I was only planning on one until I saw the notice in the sidebar. Still, an extra $20 for 2 movies is loving great even if it stings the wallet. Surprising too. Everyone said they were getting rid of coupon doubling after last year when everyone used the 50% coupons with the 20% off coupons during the winter sale.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 10, 2012

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Belle du Jour, World on a Wire and Samurai Trilogy for me. If I'm feeling extra greedy, then one of either Broadcast News, Crumb, or Wings of Desire. Out of all of them, Wings of Desire is the only one I've seen and I have the old MGM DVD. Any opinions?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

piratepilates posted:

I like how we now have the technology and expertise that we can take 80 year old film that has accumulated all this dirt and debris and other damage, and restore it to the point that anyone with a bluray player in their home can play the movie any time they want in a picture quality that is almost certainly better than the film was shown in at the time.

We live in very modern times! :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssYgejIBH_g

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Cacator posted:

Belle du Jour, World on a Wire and Samurai Trilogy for me. If I'm feeling extra greedy, then one of either Broadcast News, Crumb, or Wings of Desire. Out of all of them, Wings of Desire is the only one I've seen and I have the old MGM DVD. Any opinions?

I love Broadcast News! It's so very 80s and entertaining in an Aaron Sorkin-y kind of way, plus the BR transfer is amazing. But on the other hand it's hard to say no to Wings Of Desire (another amazing transfer, too).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
:siren: The Buy Two Get One sale is over at 02:59 AM ET online and it ended yesterday in store. Those debating between titles should choose quickly. :ohdear:

High & Low, Charade, and The 39 Steps for me. It was very tempting to toss in three more, but I do need money for food.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 10, 2012

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

High & Low, Charade, and The 39 Steps for me. It was very tempting to toss in three more, but I do need money for food.

Good picks! I grabbed 39 Steps, Insignificance, and Sweetie (finally upgrading it). I had a gift card, too, so it worked out pretty well. :)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I loving hate myself right now. :smithicide:

Breathless
Vivre sa vie
Double Life of Veronique
Fanny and Alexander
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
Repulsion
Seventh Seal
Videodrome
Walkabout
Harold and Maude
The Samurai Trilogy
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Seven Samurai
Red Desert
8 1/2

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:siren: The Buy Two Get One sale is over at 02:59 AM ET online and it ended yesterday in store. Those debating between titles should choose quickly. :ohdear:

Thanks so much! Found out about this just in time, and was able to get: Samurai Trilogy, Robert Downey Sr. Eclipse Set, and Last Temptation of Christ.

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
Thanks to this thread for reminding me of the sale.

How often is the sale usually? Annual?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Erdnase posted:

Thanks to this thread for reminding me of the sale.

How often is the sale usually? Annual?

There's another sale in November.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Goddammit the one evening I don't bother to check the forums I miss a ridiculous deal on Criterions.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I guarantee that it was a major oversight. I hope you guys actually end up getting your stuff.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

kuddles posted:

Goddammit the one evening I don't bother to check the forums I miss a ridiculous deal on Criterions.

I'm at work right now thinking the exact same thing!
I'll be driving over to B&N after work at 5. Here's to hoping all my choices are still there:

Gold Rush
Great Dictator
39 Steps
Lady Vanishes
Branded to Kill
Tokyo Drifter
12 Angry Men
Harold & Maude
Being John Malkovich
Anatomy of a Murder
Le Cercle Rouge

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!
Just picked up

The Phantom Carriage
The Seventh Seal
The Gold Rush
Godzilla

And I might pick up four more. I need to stop =)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

I loving hate myself right now. :smithicide:

Breathless
Vivre sa vie
Double Life of Veronique
Fanny and Alexander
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
Repulsion
Seventh Seal
Videodrome
Walkabout
Harold and Maude
The Samurai Trilogy
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Seven Samurai
Red Desert
8 1/2

I'd personally go with Breathless, The Seventh Seal and Videodrome, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Man, I'm just gonna buy three and that's it. Now I just have to pick them - I have Topsy Turvy and 3 Women down, now to dawdle over the third.

Which reminds me that I should check Phantom Carriage out from the library (I have a cool library).

No, you should buy it, because it's loving fantastic.