Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

TrixRabbi posted:

I'd personally go with Breathless, The Seventh Seal and Videodrome, but that's just me.

You do realize that I just bought all those, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I want another Bergman. I have/have seen Fanny and Alexander, The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries and enjoyed them all immensely, F&A being the most incredible in my opinion. Where should I go from here? I'm not against blind-buying Bergman at this point.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I want another Bergman. I have/have seen Fanny and Alexander, The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries and enjoyed them all immensely, F&A being the most incredible in my opinion. Where should I go from here? I'm not against blind-buying Bergman at this point.

Winter Light or Persona.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The Magician.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

VoodooXT posted:

You do realize that I just bought all those, right?

Nope. I thought that was the list you were trying to decide from. Well, holy poo poo then.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Autumn Sonata.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

i am not so sure posted:

Winter Light or Persona.

Persona is not a Criterion.

Normally I'd say Scenes from a Marriage. But I would recommend against buying not on Blu-Ray, as I feel all of them (with the exception of the Eclipse set and possibly The Magic Flute) will be upgraded eventually. So I would probably say The Magician too, although all of his "Summer" movies are also wonderful.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Just sign up for the Hulu channel instead. There are like 10 Bergmans on there.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

robix smash posted:

Just sign up for the Hulu channel instead. There are like 10 Bergmans on there.

Way more than 10

A Lesson in Love
All These Women
Cries and Whispers
Crisis
Fanny and Alexander (TV), Episode 1
Fanny and Alexander (TV), Episode 2
Fanny and Alexander (TV), Episode 3
Fanny and Alexander (TV), Episode 4
Fanny and Alexander: The Theatrical Version
From the Life of the Marionettes
Port of Call
Sawdust and Tinsel
Scenes from a Marriage
Secrets of Women
Smiles of a Summer Night
Summer Interlude
Summer with Monika
The Magician
The Seventh Seal
The Silence
The Virgin Spring
Thirst
Through a Glass Darkly
To Joy
Wild Strawberries
Winter Light

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I can't even being to describe how angry I am at the fact that I didn't log onto the forums last night because my friends were over. gently caress socializing, I could have three Criterions for the price of two right now.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Way more than 10

A Lesson in Love
All These Women
Cries and Whispers
Crisis
Fanny and Alexander (TV), Episode 1
Fanny and Alexander (TV), Episode 2
Fanny and Alexander (TV), Episode 3
Fanny and Alexander (TV), Episode 4
Fanny and Alexander: The Theatrical Version
From the Life of the Marionettes
Port of Call
Sawdust and Tinsel
Scenes from a Marriage
Secrets of Women
Smiles of a Summer Night
Summer Interlude
Summer with Monika
The Magician
The Seventh Seal
The Silence
The Virgin Spring
Thirst
Through a Glass Darkly
To Joy
Wild Strawberries
Winter Light

:eyepop: I've been saving my student email for Hulu+ until I had a reason. I guess I have a reason.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So I wound up getting Kuroneko because the cover caught my eye. My only regret is I didn't spring for the blu ray because that movie is loving beautiful. How is this not more well known?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Got the e-mail for the B&N sale a few minutes ago. I think I'm just going to pick up the Samurai Trilogy, maybe Harold and Maude. A lot of the stuff I'm looking at doesn't have enough of a discount over amazon to make it a GET IT NOW kind of purchase.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Edit: Anyone seen Three Outlaw Samurai? I'm a big fan of Sword of Doom and The Samurai Trilogy and other stuff like that. Do you think I might like it?

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 11, 2012

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Ended up getting World on a Wire and Hunger. I've been wanting to watch World ever since it got mentioned in the General Chat thread, looks fantastic. Hunger, I've also been meaning to see. I love me some Fassbender, and I've also heard it's really well made. Plus, I've wanted to watch Shame for a while now, so I figured I'd watch McQueen's first movie first.

I'm also getting Yojimbo/Sanjuro as a belated birthday present, which I absolutely can't wait for because I really need to watch more Kurosawa.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

The Gold Rush is a must get for me, but after that I only have enough money for two more. I'm torn between Tokyo Drifter, Being John Malkovich and 12 Angry Men. What should I do CD? :ohdear:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The 12 Angry Men disc is amazing.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

codyclarke posted:

Edit: Also, anyone seen Three Outlaw Samurai? I'm a big fan of Sword of Doom and The Samurai Trilogy and other stuff like that. Do you think I might like it?

I only picked up 39 Steps and Three Outlaw Samurai.

Three Outlaw Samurai was directed by the same guy who made "Sword of the Beast", "Goyokin" and one of my absolute favorite 60's samurai films, "Tenchu" (which isn't on DVD sadly).

Three Outlaw Samurai is his first film, it's not as deep as some of his later films, but it's light and fun, and for the price its a steal. It's more in line with a "Yojimbo" (a fun to watch film) rather then a more serious "Sword of Doom" or "Samurai Trilogy".

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The 12 Angry Men disc is amazing.

So I've heard. Ooh, and I just remembered that The War Room is also out. I guess that narrows it down for me.

Oubliette
Jun 20, 2005
I just picked up:

The Double Life of Veronique
Kes
Science is Fiction
Beauty and the Beast
Häxan
Bigger Than Life
I vitelloni
Jean Vigo
Larisa Shepitko
Black Narcissus

Good grief...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Can't splurge too much this time, but I'm picking up the Blus for The Gold Rush, The 39 Steps, and The Lady Vanishes. The David Lean set will have to wait. :(

Still got to figure out how to afford Universal's Monster and Hitchcock sets in October. :gonk:

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Man, I tend to go overboard with this sale, so I'm going to restrain myself and only get like 3 or 4 this time around (besides, the second sale happens around my birthday in November). I know that I'm finally going to pick up Godzilla, and I'm going to pick up World on a Wire on a recommendation. I might get The Samurai Trilogy, any suggestions on what else to pick up? Here's my collection:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Sometime this month I'll go to the store to pick up Letter Never Sent, and if they don't have it I'll go with Hunger.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Picked up 12 Angry Men (seen) and The Killing (not seen) because I am a total chump for this sale. At least I didn't blind buy a whole stack like last time.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Momotaros posted:

Man, I tend to go overboard with this sale, so I'm going to restrain myself and only get like 3 or 4 this time around (besides, the second sale happens around my birthday in November). I know that I'm finally going to pick up Godzilla, and I'm going to pick up World on a Wire on a recommendation. I might get The Samurai Trilogy, any suggestions on what else to pick up? Here's my collection:

If you like Wes Anderson Bottle Rocket is fantastic. You can't go wrong with The Night of the Hunter. And not everyone is a fan but I love Two-Lane Blacktop. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is also criminally underrated.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Colonel Whitey posted:

... and The Killing (not seen)

You lucky bastard, check in when you watch it for the first time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I drove by B&N on the way home and picked up Seven Samurai and Anatomy of A Murder. gently caress this sale so hard. :negative:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So, is The Friends of Eddie Coyle as good as it's rep? Worth a blind buy?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I thought it was a pretty good movie. It's been a while, though, caught it on TCM.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Origami Dali posted:

So, is The Friends of Eddie Coyle as good as it's rep? Worth a blind buy?

I definitely think so. Robert Mitchum is pretty amazing in it.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Momotaros posted:

Nice, you got a copy of Ran. Did you pick that up before it went out of print?

Dodes'ka-den is way undervalued as a film :colbert:. You sir have good taste.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

So the Criterion B&N sale puts a big dent in my wallet yet again. I call it a belated birthday present to myself.

Some I've seen and some are blind buys - TrixRabbi sold me on Kuroneko. I don't even know where to begin. It's overwhelming.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
Question - I notice that some of the Criterions (notably World on a Wire and The Complete Jean Vigo) are Pan & Scan according to B&N. I've never actually seen a Pan & Scan film from memory but I know their reputation for being pretty tragic quality - are these Criterions lesser quality in comparison to the rest of the back catalogue?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Pigeon Shamus posted:

Question - I notice that some of the Criterions (notably World on a Wire and The Complete Jean Vigo) are Pan & Scan according to B&N. I've never actually seen a Pan & Scan film from memory but I know their reputation for being pretty tragic quality - are these Criterions lesser quality in comparison to the rest of the back catalogue?

Pan and scan is a term for when they crop widescreen films into Academy ratio. Those films were all originally shot in Academy ratio.

As far as I know there's not a single title in the wrong aspect ratio, unless Storaro's been loving around with em.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Pigeon Shamus posted:

If you're looking for information on a specific title, look at its page on Criterion.com. Don't use B&N as a reference for what's on their discs. Hell, they use the wrong cover art for Chungking Express, among others.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
Cheers for the heads up. I really need to read up on aspect ratios before next month.

Anyway, made my first set of purchases today. To my tiny Criterion collection of Secret Sunshine, The Human Condition and Nikkatsu Noir, I have added two of my favourite films - F For Fake and Le Samourai - and two blind buys - Hoop Dreams (really liked The Interrupters and it was twelve dollars) and Hausu (because). Good times.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Pfirti86 posted:

Nice, you got a copy of Ran. Did you pick that up before it went out of print?

Dodes'ka-den is way undervalued as a film :colbert:. You sir have good taste.

Thank you :), I love Dodes'ka-den and Kurosawa's story behind it. And yeah, Ran was one of my first Criterions I bought way back when and probably my favorite of Kurosawa's films.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

penismightier posted:

Pan and scan is a term for when they crop widescreen films into Academy ratio. Those films were all originally shot in Academy ratio.

As far as I know there's not a single title in the wrong aspect ratio, unless Storaro's been loving around with em.

From what I can find, Hobart's Choice and Summertime should be framed at 1.66:1 instead of unmatted at 1.33:1. For some reason, most of their 1950s United Artists films (Paths of Glory, The Killing, 12 Angry Men) are 1.66:1 instead of 1.75:1 or 1.85:1.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

From what I can find, Hobart's Choice and Summertime should be framed at 1.66:1 instead of unmatted at 1.33:1. For some reason, most of their 1950s United Artists films (Paths of Glory, The Killing, 12 Angry Men) are 1.66:1 instead of 1.75:1 or 1.85:1.

Didn't Kubrick prefer those two get projected 1.66:1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

One thing I've learned about Criterion is that I can trust their aspect ratios. Either it's the undebatable correct AR, or in the case where there's debate, they have a good reason to choose the one they did.