Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

Hahahaha, how much of that initial rush of money is just them funneling in funds they already had through different sources?

I'm willing to bet none of it is. This is Kickstarter, the same audience that gave millions of dollars for a weird watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I dont know if that should make me happy, or more depressed. Where is the proof that a physical Ouya prototype exists, and that this isnt just a bunch of pretty pictures and marketing speak? (Youll get a custom engraved console, itll be your own personal piece of the Ouya story!)

Oh right, there isnt any, because Kickstarter. Even the video posted, you dont see anyone interacting with an Ouya or a controller aside from some fabrications.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

I dont know if that should make me happy, or more depressed. Where is the proof that a physical Ouya prototype exists, and that this isnt just a bunch of pretty pictures and marketing speak? (Youll get a custom engraved console, itll be your own personal piece of the Ouya story!)

Oh right, there isnt any, because Kickstarter. Even the video posted, you dont see anyone interacting with an Ouya or a controller aside from some fabrications.

Look up the people behind the project and decide if they sound like they are reputable. It isn't a straight-up scam. It may be unfeasible or ill-conceived, though.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait, people really think that Penny Arcade Kickstarter is being played serious? The gently caress? I mean, yeah, it's "serious" in that yes, they will happily take whatever money is given to them, but really.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

These things are in the video.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
Whoever thinks the penny arcade kickstarter is a serious attempt to collect money is a raving lunatic.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

octoroon posted:

Look up the people behind the project and decide if they sound like they are reputable. It isn't a straight-up scam. It may be unfeasible or ill-conceived, though.
Yeah, definitely some notable people putting their name on the line for this console.

Maybe ill-conceived though. When they sell out of their $99 "You Get a Console" tier, they'll still need around $150,000 to hit their target.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 10, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait, people really think that Penny Arcade Kickstarter is being played serious? The gently caress? I mean, yeah, it's "serious" in that yes, they will happily take whatever money is given to them, but really.

Forgive me if I have a hard time believing that it is literally them going, "Ha ha, gently caress you, and give me your money!"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Juc66 posted:

Whoever thinks the penny arcade kickstarter is a serious attempt to collect money is a raving lunatic.

How does it make it any better that they're taking people's money ironically?

Mutation posted:

Yeah, definitely some notable people putting their name on the line for this console.

Maybe ill-conceived though. When they sell out of their $99 "You Get a Console" tier, they'll still need around $150,000 to hit their target.

I don't think anyone is putting their name on the line. If you read the quotes they're all "a 99 dollar console with free games and open development sounds like a good idea, if someone can pull it off" with no specific attribution other than that person's twitter.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait, can someone please show me where the PA ks is obviously a joke? Because on its face it looks completely serious, and I usually can ferret out the difference pretty easily.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Al! posted:

Anyone dumb enough to actually donate money to that deserves to have it taken away from them, ironically or otherwise.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Occupation posted:

Wait, can someone please show me where the PA ks is obviously a joke? Because on its face it looks completely serious, and I usually can ferret out the difference pretty easily.

It's not a joke and there is no evidence for it being one. The fact that people have to believe it is one to justify its existence is pretty telling, though.

TetsuoTW posted:

Anyone dumb enough to actually donate money to that deserves to have it taken away from them, ironically or otherwise.

No, that's really terrible.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hmm, how could this possibly be a joke, other than it being written by a "comedy" writer and artist, being literally called "Penny Arcade Sells Out," and having tiers that include "Within reason, Gabe and Tycho will retweet one of your tweets" and "All previous rewards, Gabe will think about you during sex," where "all previous rewards" is literally only one reward, which is "Gabe will shout out your name as he chases a duck"? Nope, they're clearly not doing this "ironically" at all.

e: I mean, it's not a joke in the sense that they're going to suddenly pull it at the last second and be all "hahaha, Kickstarter, right guys?", but still.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Even if it's completely serious, what's the problem here? It's a pretty simple offer: give us money and we will remove ads. Yeah, you might not think it's worth it, but there are people who do think it's worth it and/or want to help them out because they're big fans or whatever. If they hit the goal I'm 100% sure they'll either follow through or refuse the money if they never intended to in the first place - their livelihoods are far too invested in the goodwill of their fans and the gaming community to do otherwise, so the chances of this being some sort of scam approach zero.

I'm not seeing the reason for all the hyperbolic vitriol here besides "I don't like Penny Arcade". I think it's a ludicrous amount of money for what's on offer, for what it's worth, but the people who do donate are assuredly going to get what they paid for.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Hmm, how could this possibly be a joke, other than it being written by a "comedy" writer and artist, being literally called "Penny Arcade Sells Out," and having tiers that include "Within reason, Gabe and Tycho will retweet one of your tweets" and "All previous rewards, Gabe will think about you during sex," where "all previous rewards" is literally only one reward, which is "Gabe will shout out your name as he chases a duck"? Nope, they're clearly not doing this "ironically" at all.

e: I mean, it's not a joke in the sense that they're going to suddenly pull it at the last second and be all "hahaha, Kickstarter, right guys?", but still.

Cool, way to read. "All previous rewards, Gabe will think about you during sex, and a certificate of appreciation will be mailed to you. (Add $3 for non-U.S. addresses)"

There is a difference. They mail you a lovely piece of paper. All the reward tiers have lovely rewards and there are literally people who will spend money on getting a retweet and they know this.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

TetsuoTW posted:

and having tiers that include "Within reason, Gabe and Tycho will retweet one of your tweets"

I know multiple people who would jump at the bit for that unironically.

quote:

and "All previous rewards, Gabe will think about you during sex," where "all previous rewards" is literally only one reward, which is "Gabe will shout out your name as he chases a duck"?

These are both references to the ks webcomic they made.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Kanos posted:

Even if it's completely serious, what's the problem here? It's a pretty simple offer: give us money and we will remove ads. Yeah, you might not think it's worth it, but there are people who do think it's worth it and/or want to help them out because they're big fans or whatever. If they hit the goal I'm 100% sure they'll either follow through or refuse the money if they never intended to in the first place - their livelihoods are far too invested in the goodwill of their fans and the gaming community to do otherwise, so the chances of this being some sort of scam approach zero.

I'm not seeing the reason for all the hyperbolic vitriol here besides "I don't like Penny Arcade". I think it's a ludicrous amount of money for what's on offer, for what it's worth, but the people who do donate are assuredly going to get what they paid for.

False dilemma. They can both deliver on their promises (I'm sure they will) and still be kind of sleazy and cynical opportunists about it, which is where my concern resides.

And either way, this is what the KS thread does, we bitch and harangue lovely projects with bad tiers all the time. See also: any post I made about CoH 2 in this thread.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
Eh, I'd buy a retweet from them if I had the cash laying around.
And I don't think 1 million is out of the ballpark for removal of ads from their site, it wouldn't be worth it otherwise.
(their ad spaces are pretty valuable)

But seriously, it's a joke.

It may or may not be a funny joke, but it's a joke.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Juc66 posted:

Eh, I'd buy a retweet from them if I had the cash laying around.
And I don't think 1 million is out of the ballpark for removal of ads from their site, it wouldn't be worth it otherwise.
(their ad spaces are pretty valuable)

But seriously, it's a joke.

It may or may not be a funny joke, but it's a joke.

There is literally no evidence to support this other than "they make comedy for a living."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

TetsuoTW posted:

It's less that people don't deserve to give their money away carelessly, and more that the PA guys don't deserve any of it

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
If you read the penny arcade site you'll see that they're serious about it. The low-tier rewards are meant to be bullshit/jokes, but you'll see that the higher tier rewards are stuff like 'dinner with the penny arcade guys'. I can see some people paying a lot of money for this. They will totally get this funding, and they will become ad-free. They're already 64k in.

Also, how are all of their expenses covered by just 250k? they must make more on merchandise or something.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Al! posted:

I don't think anyone is putting their name on the line. If you read the quotes they're all "a 99 dollar console with free games and open development sounds like a good idea, if someone can pull it off" with no specific attribution other than that person's twitter.
Brian Fargo and Adam Saltsman put their faces in the video. Saltsman ported a game to the console. Yves Behar, the guy that designed that cheapass amazon third world laptop, worked on the aesthetics. Yeah, there's a bunch of "oh it looks cool" quotes, but there's reputable people being more involved than that.

Pretty sure they're not being swindled themselves or apart of some scam.

edit: It now surpassed 700k. Jesus christ.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 10, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

redreader posted:

If you read the penny arcade site you'll see that they're serious about it. The low-tier rewards are meant to be bullshit/jokes, but you'll see that the higher tier rewards are stuff like 'dinner with the penny arcade guys'. I can see some people paying a lot of money for this. They will totally get this funding, and they will become ad-free. They're already 64k in.

Also, how are all of their expenses covered by just 250k? they must make more on merchandise or something.

They aren't. That's literally to remove one ad bar from the site. Just one. No more. They need a million dollars to remove all ads.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Okay, I'll try to make this clear: it is a joke in the sense that it is a bad KickStarter filled with jokey material at the expense of anyone who donates to it. It is NOT a joke in the sense that they are going to collect a million dollars of their fans' money and use it to reformat their website for a year because they don't want to deal with their own advertisers.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
It's a pretty dumb joke, and one they've already done before.

In one of their comics.

At best, it's just plain lazy comedy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Occupation posted:

False dilemma. They can both deliver on their promises (I'm sure they will) and still be kind of sleazy and cynical opportunists about it, which is where my concern resides.
Maybe that's closer to what I feel about it - that it's loving cynical. Like, they know that this thing is going to make a bomb of money, and they feel no shame whatsoever for what amounts to taking their fans money to essentially fund their lives.

thepopstalinist posted:

It's less that people don't deserve to give their money away carelessly, and more that the PA guys don't deserve any of it
A little of both. If people are willingly handing their money over for something like this, they deserve to lose that money (as far as the loss of that money isn't hurting their family or anything), and Gabe deserves loving nothing. I don't know if Tycho's a piece of poo poo, but he certainly chooses to hang out with one. (edit: I forgot he wrote the "dickwolves" comic. Minor league shithead for that, Gabe really made that one his own.)

e:

octoroon posted:

Okay, I'll try to make this clear: it is a joke in the sense that it is a bad KickStarter filled with jokey material at the expense of anyone who donates to it. It is NOT a joke in the sense that they are going to collect a million dollars of their fans' money and use it to reformat their website for a year because they don't want to deal with their own advertisers.
This a million times over. It's a joke at the expense of their fans and donors, not a joke in the funny/haha sense.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 10, 2012

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm honestly confused about the problem everyone has with the PA kickstarter. I have no idea about the money involved with running a popular website: do they make 250K for a full year of the advertisement they're going to remove? If so, I don't see anything scummy about it at all. They're just using crowdsourced money to replace the income they'd make from the ad. Seems to make logical business sense to me. Where's the issue? :confused:

I mean, the tiers being silly is a different matter. I'm just not sure why anyone would be 'disgusted' by this thing. I think people get too hung up on tiers in general, with some KS's you're donating to the cause not buying a product. Whether or not that's a stupid thing to do depends on how much Ayn Rand you've read. I don't see any dishonesty involved, though.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 10, 2012

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Driving an obvious joke into the ground is something the internet does with aplomb.

I mean it would make more sense for them to put up the KS for 24 hours instead of a month. That way there's no ambiguity about their intentions to actually collect, and the joke doesn't get old.

My guess is that they're keeping it up so they can use the update system for their lovely riffing

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

TetsuoTW posted:

This a million times over. It's a joke at the expense of their fans and donors, not a joke in the funny/haha sense.

Okay, so everyone agrees with each other then. :unsmith:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I think it is ridiculous, but I gave them a single dollar. Because honestly I didn't even know there were ads on their site (adblocker?) and the amount of laughs they have given me over...how many years?
Yeah, take my dollar. They earned it.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
You know you have to be pretty scummy to try and do something with Kickstarter for a year that Homestar Runner has done for the past twelve years for free.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

thepopstalinist posted:

I mean it would make more sense for them to put up the KS for 24 hours instead of a month. That way there's no ambiguity about their intentions to actually collect, and the joke doesn't get old.
Oh, they intend to collect. They know their fans.

Occupation posted:

Apparently so. Buds? :unsmith:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Getting away from PA for a second, I said gently caress it and put down 119 dollars for an Ouya. I've spent far more on far worse things and I got the money to burn.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Occupation posted:

I think a lot of confusion is coming with the ambiguity of what a "joke" is in this context. I think most of us agree that it's a joke at the expense of their fans, in the sense that it is a cynical attempt to squeeze money out of their audience for very dubious reasons.

However, there are a few people who seem to be implying that it's a joke at the expense of Kickstarter meant to point out how stupid Kickstarter is by making a totally ludicrous project that noone is meant to take seriously. I think this is wrong. They're definitely going to take the money and they certainly expect that people are going to donate it.

NmareBfly posted:

I'm honestly confused about the problem everyone has with the PA kickstarter. I have no idea about the money involved with running a popular website: do they make 250K for a full year of the advertisement they're going to remove? If so, I don't see anything scummy about it at all. They're just using crowdsourced money to replace the income they'd make from the ad. Seems to make logical business sense to me. Where's the issue? :confused

The issue is that while it may seem like a logical business decision, it's not a legitimate usage of Kickstarter. KS is for funding projects, and it explicitly prohibits funding for "general business expenses." Although it's pretty clear PA gets a pass on that because they are very popular and this is a mutually beneficial relationship with KS.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 10, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
The Penny Arcade kickstarter for some reason reminds me of this Onion headline: Ironic Porn Purchase Leads To Unironic Ejaculation(NWS)

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I can't wait for Kickstarter to take their project down, there's no way that can pass. I know a handful of people have reported it already.

I happily give Giant Bomb $50/yr because on top of no ads I can get hilarious premium content and a bunch of other features on their site. Do that for the Penny Arcade people if you're that strapped for cash.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

NmareBfly posted:

I'm honestly confused about the problem everyone has with the PA kickstarter.

The thing is they've come out and wagged their finger and leveled criticism at Kickstarter in the past for this exact same thing. So either they're using this as a lovely joke to point out how stupid it is at the expense of their fans, or they're hypocrites who are doing exactly what they complained about by funding a no-work project like rejiggering the site CSS to get rid of ads at the expense of their fans.

And no matter how you slice it, that $7500 pay-to-work intern for a day tier is loving disgusting.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

octoroon posted:

I think a lot of confusion is coming with the ambiguity of what a "joke" is. I think most of us agree that it's a joke at the expense of their fans, in the sense that it is a cynical attempt to squeeze money out of their audience for very dubious reasons.

However, there are a few people who seem to be implying that it's a joke at the expense of Kickstarter meant to point out how stupid Kickstarter is by making a totally ludicrous project that noone is meant to take seriously. I think this is wrong. They're definitely going to take the money and they certainly expect that people are going to donate it.

They don't need the money, there's no reason to even take it.

And squeezing money from their audience?
That's ridiculous.

No one has to put any money into this thing at all, and if they do for whatever reason, they found value in putting their money toward this.
Also, this isn't like indiegogo, they won't just walk away with the cash unless they get the full 250.

They aren't holding anything hostage, they're not coercing anybody to put a single penny into this stuff.

This is a doubly kinda lame joke.
They're making a ridiculous kickstarter to make fun of kickstarter, and also it looks to me like they're insulting the folks who think Penny Arcade should be ad free with no merchandise or any other way for them to make money, because those ridiculous numbers are what it'd take.

It's a joke.

If you don't think it's funny, that's fine, if you're bent out of shape because you think it's serious ... just relax, even if it is serious if people want to piss away their money on this that's the business of those stupid people, and not really something worth spending time caring about.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Juc66 posted:

They don't need the money, there's no reason to even take it.

Have you been introduced to the concept of money? I don't think you quite understand how it works...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Juc66 posted:

Also, this isn't like indiegogo, they won't just walk away with the cash unless they get the full 250.
If this ends up at less than $1 million, I will be very surprised.