Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingstiffballs
Jul 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Johnny walker blue label

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ragingstiffballs posted:

Johnny walker blue label

:frogout:

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Ragingstiffballs posted:

Johnny walker blue label

Whenever I mention to people that I'm interested in whisky, they inevetiably ask if I've tried Johnny Walker Blue Label. When I tell them I haven't they seem disappointed. Now, I've read the reviews and know that by all means its a pretty mediocre whisky with a hell of a lot of branding. Has anyone tried it?

Also, god drat, I could buy a Bruchladdich Octomore for virtually the same price. Or two bottles of Lagavulin 16.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 9, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

Whenever I mention to people that I'm interested in whisky, they inevetiably ask if I've tried Johnny Walker Blue Label. When I tell them I haven't they seem disappointed. Now, I've read the reviews and know that by all means its a pretty mediocre whisky with a hell of a lot of branding. Has anyone tried it?

I have, and it does not live up to the hype, AT ALL.

It's kinda nice and velvety in it's mouthfeel, and it has some good flavors, but it just disappears almost instantly. There's no finish.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Blue Label tastes more like Crown Royal than Scotch. It's been made to be smooth above all else. So it's got very little flavor more assertive than silky and caramely notes, little finish, and the alcohol kick is masked by, well, something. By the mouthfeel? Does glycerol mask perception of alcohol?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

Blue Label tastes more like Crown Royal than Scotch. It's been made to be smooth above all else. So it's got very little flavor more assertive than silky and caramely notes, little finish, and the alcohol kick is masked by, well, something. By the mouthfeel? Does glycerol mask perception of alcohol?

I think so but you're not allowed to add it to whisky.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Voodoofly posted:

Is that Chamucos Reposado you have there? I love that tequila.

Indeed it is! Good eye. Probably one of my all time favorites, my all time favorite being Don Julio Real that some crazy rich customer at work bought me (I work in a bar).

Had a decent week at work, probably gonna finish off one of these bottles with some friends and go pick up a new bottle of scotch. Most likely the Highland Park 12 that was recommended to me.

e:

NightConqueror posted:

I have as well, and IMO it's worth trying but only if someone else is paying for it. For the price point there is MUCH better to be had, but if you're well to do and want something to show off to your friends that they will easily recognize as "status symbol" go for it, but thats just my opinion.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 9, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I wouldn't even say Blue Label's flavor disappears. It honestly tastes dilute from the very beginning, like there's a layer of water between the whisky and my tastebuds. What wood flavor does come through is faintly mildewy or soapy... I try it every time I go to a whisky expo or tasting, it's just not very good.

I have no issues with Black Label or Gold Label, and am a little sad that Green Label will eventually become restricted to Taiwan and maybe Duty Free. I guess they want to fill that pricepoint with the reformulated NAS Gold Label and try something 'new' with Platinum? Who knows?..

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kidsafe posted:

I have no issues with Black Label or Gold Label, and am a little sad that Green Label will eventually become restricted to Taiwan and maybe Duty Free.

Wait, what?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Caramel color is colloidal, and an emulsifier, so it's possible that they use larger quantities of lighter caramel to achieve a given amount of darkening with greater mouthfeel boosting properties.

Either way, since that's the only permitted additive, they either play with that, or are doing it with the wood/aging/new make.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Green Label is disappearing from the North American market and only being sold in Asia, where it's fairly popular, apparently. A shame, really, because I think Green Label was my favorite of the Johnnie Walker family.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

Green Label is disappearing from the North American market and only being sold in Asia, where it's fairly popular, apparently. A shame, really, because I think Green Label was my favorite of the Johnnie Walker family.

Well, that sucks. Green Label is arguably the best of the line.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Basically Green enjoyed a little bit of popularity early on, but has seen rapid declines in sales in the past 3 years. Taiwan loves blended malts, so it will continue to be made in small volume for that market.

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank

NightConqueror posted:

So I finally did it - I grabbed the last Laphroaig Cask Strength bottle at the store.

And holy cow. Drinking it without any water is like letting a firework off in your mouth. Huge, sweet peaty explosion with a super long finish. Tapers off to light smoke and wood. I can say I was definitely NOT disappointed. For $60.00, I think this was a real steal. I don't think I've ever had a whisky with a more characteristic flavor.

It might be fun to do a side by side with the little bit of quarter cask I still have left and compare. Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

What reason is there to drink cask strength without any water?
All the alcohol just burns the nose and palette making it hard to appreciate all the flavors. To each their own.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Allantois posted:

What reason is there to drink cask strength without any water?
All the alcohol just burns the nose and palette making it hard to appreciate all the flavors. To each their own.

Tried without water first, then added a few teaspoons afterwards. You're absolutely right, by the way, that the flavors overall are muted without the addition of water. I drank it strictly for the impact value of trying a high-proof, peaty liquor. It really gave off more of its flavors and smells after sitting with water for about 5-8 minutes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Well, that sucks. Green Label is arguably the best of the line.

Yeah, I liked the Green label as well. I have a few inches left at the bottom of a bottle, I guess it's time to pick up another before it goes away.

re: blue label discussion. I've only had it once, and it was quite good. I didn't pay for it, so that probably helped. I didn't notice any watery taste at all, and the smoothness was nice. They poured me a full glass too, which was a nice surprise.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Green has always been great value for money to me. Having access to reasonably priced green means I don't even bother drinking red or black :snob:

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

NightConqueror posted:

Also, god drat, I could buy a Bruchladdich Octomore for virtually the same price. Or two bottles of Lagavulin 16.

I've tasted it a few times. Last time we had the Blue Label in a blend tasting not too long ago. Ended up being the crowd favourite. Granted, we only had one other 'super-premium' involved, Ballantines 21. As a whisky, it's a good one. But when considering the price point and the 'status' it has, it is an inevitable disappointment to most whisky enthusiasts.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm rewarding myself for paying off all my consumer debt with a bottle of decent scotch. I have about $70 to spend in Ontario which is probably like having $45 in the US? I drink a lot of scotch but mostly at the low end (Islay Mist, Grant's). Occasionally I'll get bottles of stuff like Glenlivet and Glenfiddich as gifts, and I was even lucky enough to get a bottle of Macallan 12 from my grandparents. I really like the peaty, smokey ones and usually will order Laphroaig at a bar but I'd like to maybe try something new. Is there anything in that price range that I should try or is Laphroaig my best bet (750ml is $69.95 at my local LCBO).

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I really think Laphroaig Quarter Cask is your best bet when something like Lagavulin 16yr seems to be CA$110 thanks to the LCBO...

Other peated options around your price range or cheaper:
Jura Superstition
Bowmore 12yr
Talisker 10yr

None of the above are quite as peaty as Laphroaig, and Talisker has quite a distinctive taste of its own.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 11, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Of the above options kidsafe gave, I vote for Talisker 10. It's a cracking dram in it's own right, and it has enough peaty characteristics that I think you'll enjoy.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Talisker 10 us a great one, also Jura Superstition is a personal favourite of mine.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

kidsafe posted:

something like Lagavulin 16yr seems to be CA$110 thanks to the LCBO...

Yeah, that's what I'd really like to buy but the idea is STAY out of debt! I'll try the Talisker, thanks guys.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Talisker 10 us a great one, also Jura Superstition is a personal favourite of mine.

How's the Superstition? I've heard that the regular Jura is a generally uninspiring single malt.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
I turned 21 last month, and purchased my first bottle of bourbon based on conversations in this thread: Bulleit (95) Rye Small Batch.

For my first bourbon, I think it's delicious! It is a little too strong for sipping without being cut, but I enjoy the contrast of the sweet honey smell with the burnt sugar and really bright taste, and the smooth vanilla finish.

Based on my enjoyment of this bourbon, do you have any suggestions of what to try next? I am a student, so please nothing over $60 a bottle.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I turned 21 last month, and purchased my first bottle of bourbon based on conversations in this thread: Bulleit (95) Rye Small Batch.

For my first bourbon, I think it's delicious! It is a little too strong for sipping without being cut, but I enjoy the contrast of the sweet honey smell with the burnt sugar and really bright taste, and the smooth vanilla finish.

Based on my enjoyment of this bourbon, do you have any suggestions of what to try next? I am a student, so please nothing over $60 a bottle.

I'd suggest a bottle of makers mark or maybe even famous grouse for your next bottle. Thats just me though.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Rye whiskeys, in general, are a little more spicy and intense. I haven't tried Bulleit Rye, but I'd bet it'd make a great manhattan or old fashioned.

Here are my tried and true recommendations:

Four Roses Single Barrel ($37-40) - Sweet on the nose, ends spicy
Evan Williams Single Barrel ($28-33) - Probably the best single barrel value bourbon
Elijah Craig 12 ($28-30) - Fairly mild, unassuming, but very pleasant to drink
Wild Turkey 101 ($18-22) - One of my favorites, but it is definitely a hot whiskey. Lots of spice, but very enjoyable to sip. Plus you can't beat the price.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Go to a bar and try a Pappy Van Winkle bourbon, like the 20 year version. It will be an expensive drink but worth it to try a drat fine bourbon. Take it neat, without ice.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mod sassinator posted:

Go to a bar and try a Pappy Van Winkle bourbon, like the 20 year version. It will be an expensive drink but worth it to try a drat fine bourbon. Take it neat, without ice.
Also try it before the next seasonal release so you can make sure you're tasting the original Stitzel-Weller formula.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

How's the Superstition? I've heard that the regular Jura is a generally uninspiring single malt.

It's a lot better than the standard bottling IMHO, but it's still a divisive whisky. Some people like it, some hate it. I don't really like it all to much but some people do.

The thing with Jura is that they bottle it too early. The 15YO is miles ahead of both the standard 10 and the superstition. It's just not really available and quite expensive.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Seeing as how you've gotten your sea legs with a much more characteristic bourbon I don't know if you'd enjoy Maker's Mark as much. I would recommend Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve, the former being cheaper in my experience by far.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NightConqueror posted:

I find the Superstition nice, lightly peaty with honey tones to it. But as spankmeister said it's a decisive one. Try it before you buy it.

Jura 16 year old and Jura Prophecy are both excellent and less controversial but harder to get hold of.

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

spankmeister posted:

The thing with Jura is that they bottle it too early. The 15YO is miles ahead of both the standard 10 and the superstition. It's just not really available and quite expensive.

Do you mean the wine-cask finished Paps series 15 year olds? But you're right about the age, seems like Jura needs a few more years in the cask. I remember tasting the 10, 16 and 21 side by side. The 10 was interesting but immature, the 21 already a bit too mellow, but the 16 was lively and just mature enough, a clear favourite.

I don't know why Jura is so badly regarded, they must have bottled some really weak batches that I haven't tasted or something. The Prophecy is my current favourite Jura, the boutique barrels have been wonderful too.

JerseyDevil
Jun 26, 2009
Much like Tig Ol Bitties, I'm a novice whisk(e)y drinker. Besides a little Wild Turkey 101 in college, the only thing I've really tried is Makers' Mark. I was at the liquor store yesterday and decided to get myself an early birthday gift, and picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve based on the reviews you guys were giving it. It was a toss-up between Woodford Reserve or Bulleit, but I am a sucker for packaging and thought the Woodford looked nicer.

I'll let you know what I think. Thanks for helping a newbie choose!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I think in general the Whyte & Mackay owned distilleries have an image problem despite the presence of Paterson as a PR powerhouse. Dalmore and especially Fettercairn aren't nearly as popular as they could be. Whisky hobbyists in particular disapprove of all these whiskies being bottled at 40% with caramel added.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

NightConqueror posted:

Rye whiskeys, in general, are a little more spicy and intense. I haven't tried Bulleit Rye, but I'd bet it'd make a great manhattan or old fashioned.

Here are my tried and true recommendations:

Four Roses Single Barrel ($37-40) - Sweet on the nose, ends spicy
Evan Williams Single Barrel ($28-33) - Probably the best single barrel value bourbon
Elijah Craig 12 ($28-30) - Fairly mild, unassuming, but very pleasant to drink
Wild Turkey 101 ($18-22) - One of my favorites, but it is definitely a hot whiskey. Lots of spice, but very enjoyable to sip. Plus you can't beat the price.

Blantons is another strong consideration.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kidsafe posted:

I think in general the Whyte & Mackay owned distilleries have an image problem despite the presence of Paterson as a PR powerhouse. Dalmore and especially Fettercairn aren't nearly as popular as they could be. Whisky hobbyists in particular disapprove of all these whiskies being bottled at 40% with caramel added.

There's a bit of that, but also there's a strong vein of 'Not Islay Not Good' as well. People will cream themselves over Ardbeg very young but baulk at the idea of someone else doing it. The Jura 10 year old is young, it tastes spicy and very light but I don't think that makes it bad, just different.

The caramel thing people get their panties in a bunch about a lot, but most Laphroaig , Lagavulin , Highland Park, Talisker etc all have caramel added.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

smn posted:

Do you mean the wine-cask finished Paps series 15 year olds? But you're right about the age, seems like Jura needs a few more years in the cask. I remember tasting the 10, 16 and 21 side by side. The 10 was interesting but immature, the 21 already a bit too mellow, but the 16 was lively and just mature enough, a clear favourite.

I don't know why Jura is so badly regarded, they must have bottled some really weak batches that I haven't tasted or something. The Prophecy is my current favourite Jura, the boutique barrels have been wonderful too.

Yeah I meant the 16. :)

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

kidsafe posted:

Tried some Fettercairn (Fior?) at a whisky show recently. Lovely new bottles, something pretty grim inside.

It got added to the very short list of 'drams I have chucked away'.

Jura is better than it was a few years ago. Better Wood Management caused that as opposed to a 're-branding' exercise. I got one of the 'Paps' range when I was over there for the Islay festival a couple of years ago. Very nice too, as is the 16y/o. As has already been said, Superstition divides opinion. My wife loves it, I'm not especially keen. The Jura 10 is improved but still quite thin on the palate in my experience. I'd pick an Aberlour 10 over the Jura 10 any day (I'm comparing them as they are often the discounted malt in the supermarket).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog
Inspired by the descriptions in this thread, I just bought a half-bottle of Laphroaig 10 as my first try at malt (kinda risky choice, but hey). Well, really I had tried a sip many years ago, when my parents bought a bottle, and then hated it. Was curious to see whether my taste buds had changed. And sure enough, I certainly recognized it, but thought it tasted kinda neat. Although I have to get used to it somewhat; can't imagine being able to drink much of in one go. Feels like I need to don protective clothing because it's so overwhelmingly much.