Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
A couple more retina MBP thoughts:

1. Under Lion, Chrome Canary is way smoother than Safari to my eyes. A little more lag than Chrome on my 2011 MBP, but totally useable. Interested to try Safari in ML when it's released.

2. Does anyone else's rMBP screen have a red/purple-ish hue? It's especially evident on mine if you look at the Apple logo on the back of the screen, and/or compare the screen with a non-retina MBP. I'm wondering if this is normal or not... it doesn't bother me too much, but white backgrounds definitely have a slight red tint.

3. Otherwise, love this computer. The size, screen, and speakers are amazing. Still, I'm wondering if it shouldn't return it and go back to my 2011 MBP until they release a rMBP that's powerful enough to effortlessly drive its display. I'm getting a little of the original Macbook Air vibe -- it's pushing boundaries and doing a respectable job (better than the original MBA, I'd say), but perhaps the 2nd gen will see the hardware fully catch up to their vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smutton
Jun 5, 2005
Holy crap, I'm outside right now and I can see the Apple logo through my MBP screen - even at max screen brightness. It forms a yellow spot in the middle of my screen. I'm going to assume this is just a design flaw?

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

grahm posted:

Interested to try Safari in ML when it's released.

I'd say it's about ten times smoother running on integrated graphics and fifty times smoother running on discrete. Which is really cool.

(buuuuuuuuut they also completely nixed all RSS functionality from Safari, which is going to drive me insane)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HolePisser1982 posted:

(buuuuuuuuut they also completely nixed all RSS functionality from Safari, which is going to drive me insane)
Someone actually used that?!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Smutton posted:

Holy crap, I'm outside right now and I can see the Apple logo through my MBP screen - even at max screen brightness. It forms a yellow spot in the middle of my screen. I'm going to assume this is just a design flaw?

Haha, I remember the first time that happened to me. Yeah, it's a flaw of the design. Just stick your bag or something in front of it, and it won't be an issue.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Someone actually used that?!

Having a tab in my bookmarks bar to let me know when new netflix instant titles got added was super convenient. I only subscribe to a couple feeds so I never felt like I needed to bother with a standalone app or whatever the hell you other freaky people have been using.

Ah well, got that $100 Apple gift card with my laptop so I don't feel as gross about spending $5 on Reeder (which at least has retina support)

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I am having problems with screen backlight uniformity on my MBPr. It isn't 95%+ uniform like my 2010 MBP. Whites are dim in a couple of spots which is noticeable when sliding a window or space left to right or vise-versa. I am very sensitive to this; I purchase high quality IPS screens to prevent the backlight uniformity issues.

Does anyone have a great, uniformly lit retina screen?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It's sounding like a Mac Rumours thread here suddenly.

Jink, take your machine back if its within its 14 days, state your case and have them swap it over.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Yeast posted:

It's sounding like a Mac Rumours thread here suddenly.

Jink, take your machine back if its within its 14 days, state your case and have them swap it over.

Bleh. It's a custom build. Will take another month at the least to get another one.

I will gladly accept the fact that the screen isn't perfect if it's standard.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I'm starting college at the end of August where I'm gonna need a computer for various sorts of graphics and coding stuff. Currently I'm running an external keyboard hooked up to my MacBook Pro (late-2008) because the shift-key is stuck from water spillage, which of course isn't suitable in the long run.

I can't decide whether or not to get the keyboard fixed and maybe put in an SSD to get some more speed out of it, or if I would just need a new laptop in another year or so anyway. So, would it be worth it for me to spend a little money (although still some, since getting the keyboard fixed on unibody MacBooks is pretty expensive) now or just bite the bullet and get a new MacBook?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I'll preface this with the fact that this post will probably sound pretty dumb...but I have to start somewhere and I'm hoping you guys (and girls?) can help me out...

I'm almost 100% new to OSX. I've used my girlfriends MacMini (which is 6 or 7 years old) sparringly since we started dating 3 years ago, but I have no real knowledge or experience with OSX to speak of.

My girlfriends brother just got a shiny new rMBP (bastard) and offered to let me borrow his MacBook Pro (1,1) to see if I like MacBooks/OSX...and he said I could "make him an offer" to just buy it off him once I decide if I like OSX or not. I have absolutely no idea what this thing might be worth. What would be a good resource to figure out what a fair price would be?

As stated, it is -

MacBookPro 1,1
Intel Core Duo 2.16 Ghz
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SD RAM
500GB HDD

It's pretty "used" - meaning that it looks how you would expect a 6 year old laptop to look. Wear marks where your wrists sit, scratches/dents in the casing, and the battery states that it "needs servicing"

I have enjoyed using the MacBook thus far, and would like to keep it...but I don't want to offer more than it's worth or outright lowball him either. What are your opinions on its value?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Couple hundred bucks. Maybe.

A 2006 MacBook Pro isn't really worth much other than basic web browsing and listening to music.

You'll be pretty hamstrung by not being able to install any reasonably new software that requires Core 2 Duo and above.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

grahm posted:

A couple more retina MBP thoughts:

1. Under Lion, Chrome Canary is way smoother than Safari to my eyes. A little more lag than Chrome on my 2011 MBP, but totally useable. Interested to try Safari in ML when it's released.

HolePisser1982 posted:

I'd say it's about ten times smoother running on integrated graphics and fifty times smoother running on discrete. Which is really cool.

This is not an exaggeration.

Safari on Mountain Lion has become my default browser on the rMBP because its so, so much faster at scrolling than both Safari 5.1 and even Chrome Dev (even if you force GPU in about :flags)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 11, 2012

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Ozmodiar posted:

I'll preface this with the fact that this post will probably sound pretty dumb...but I have to start somewhere and I'm hoping you guys (and girls?) can help me out...

I'm almost 100% new to OSX. I've used my girlfriends MacMini (which is 6 or 7 years old) sparringly since we started dating 3 years ago, but I have no real knowledge or experience with OSX to speak of.

My girlfriends brother just got a shiny new rMBP (bastard) and offered to let me borrow his MacBook Pro (1,1) to see if I like MacBooks/OSX...and he said I could "make him an offer" to just buy it off him once I decide if I like OSX or not. I have absolutely no idea what this thing might be worth. What would be a good resource to figure out what a fair price would be?

As stated, it is -

MacBookPro 1,1
Intel Core Duo 2.16 Ghz
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SD RAM
500GB HDD

It's pretty "used" - meaning that it looks how you would expect a 6 year old laptop to look. Wear marks where your wrists sit, scratches/dents in the casing, and the battery states that it "needs servicing"

I have enjoyed using the MacBook thus far, and would like to keep it...but I don't want to offer more than it's worth or outright lowball him either. What are your opinions on its value?

Use this site: http://www.mac2sell.net/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ozmodiar posted:

MacBookPro 1,1
Intel Core Duo 2.16 Ghz
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SD RAM
500GB HDD

Not much. Here's the thing - it's a Core Duo - so you can't even run the current Mac OS X on it. You'd need a Core 2 Duo (64-bit) to run OS X Lion, and 'Mountain Lion' is coming out in a few weeks.

The Core Duo is basically 2 Pentium-M's joined together on one chip. Fine chip in it's day but that Macbook is like 6 years old. And as you can see from this benchmark, it's only about 2/3's as fast as a Core 2 Duo.

Next up is the RAM - it can only hold 2GB of memory. That's really the bare minimum any OS X machine should have. It might be livable for a day-to-day machine if you stuck a cheap SSD in it. But you'll have to replace the battery (a hundred bucks) and who knows what else is wrong with it.

I'm not sure if I'd even pay $200 for it. You can get a Unibody Macbook Pro in the $500 range, that's a much better and much more expandable machine.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Bob Morales posted:

I'm not sure if I'd even pay $200 for it. You can get a Unibody Macbook Pro in the $500 range, that's a much better and much more expandable machine.

Considering you'd also need to buy a new battery for it, it's probably not even worth it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Echoing the sentiment that Mountain Lion makes the Retina MBP perform pretty much exactly how my early 2011 MBP used to while using it as a laptop. If you're using external monitors with the MBP in clamshell it's significantly smoother than it used to be thanks to the more powerful graphics card and better CoreAnimation integration.

I think my favourite thing about the Retina MBP is the battery life. They've increased the battery capacity to compensate for the power draw of the screen/discrete graphics but if you're only doing normal stuff like email/calendaring/web browsing/taking notes that doesn't use the discrete graphics, you'll find you get 10-12 hours of battery life in practice. My old MBP only used to get about 8 and a half, so it's a pretty huge jump.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Thanks for the information everyone.

Two follow up questions -

1. Mac2Sell said this was worth $490...which seems awfully high. My gut reaction was $350 tops (minus $100 for the battery that would have to be replaced...so $250, really)...Any further thoughts?

2. You mentioned that a Core2Duo was required for Lion and Mountain Lion...is there any way to hack Lion or Mountain Lion onto the older MacBook? I know even less about how a Hackintosh would work...I wasn't sure if there was a way around this and/or if it would be easier since this is an actual Mac.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ozmodiar posted:

2. You mentioned that a Core2Duo was required for Lion and Mountain Lion...is there any way to hack Lion or Mountain Lion onto the older MacBook? I know even less about how a Hackintosh would work...I wasn't sure if there was a way around this and/or if it would be easier since this is an actual Mac.

Nope, the os kernel is 64-bit only and the coreduo processor is 32-bit only

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
There is absolutely no way that pos is worth $450.

Depends how desperately you want to get onto OS X, I guess.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Yeast posted:

There is absolutely no way that pos is worth $450.

Depends how desperately you want to get onto OS X, I guess.

Mac2sell tried to tell me my 2011 15" mbp that I added a 128gb ssd to was worth $2400... I had to hold back my laughter.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

just get the 16GB option. It's $200.

Dammit, it says 'prepared for shipping' now. Guess I will wait and see how it goes for now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Rev A MBPs were a POS even when new. Worst Apple purchase I ever made. Do not buy it even for like $100.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's nothing wrong with using snow leopard-- I'm using snow leopard because I can't upgrade some of my software that's incompatible with lion. Its days are numbered, though, and I'm seeing app updates come up that note it's now the lowest supported version. I'm expecting people to drop support for it in a year or two.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over lowballing. $150. The new battery would be $129 and it's on its last legs.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
And hey, you'll have a room heater come winter.

Two birds with one lovely stone.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

flyboi posted:

Mac2sell tried to tell me my 2011 15" mbp that I added a 128gb ssd to was worth $2400... I had to hold back my laughter.

That site also lowballed the poo poo out of my MBA when I was selling it a couple months ago. Never treat it as anything more than the absolute roughest of ballparks.

Ozmodiar, that MBP is not at all worth more than $200 given its shape, and you'd get much better value putting that money toward a newer Mac, hopefully one that could at least run Lion.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Smutton posted:

This happens to me too sometimes. I have a lamp setup right behind my monitor on my desk at home for some backlighting in the dark and if I don't turn the brightness up all the way I can sometimes see a yellow Apple on my screen. It's just a bit annoying so I just put a piece of paper over the lamp to make it softer and I don't see it anymore.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Boris Galerkin posted:

This happens to me too sometimes. I have a lamp setup right behind my monitor on my desk at home for some backlighting in the dark and if I don't turn the brightness up all the way I can sometimes see a yellow Apple on my screen. It's just a bit annoying so I just put a piece of paper over the lamp to make it softer and I don't see it anymore.

Wait, I want to buy a Macbook Pro Retina next week, does this happen there too? That's not some production error? A design element affecting the function of the screen? How distracting is this? And how can this be something Apple sees as acceptable if it isn't a production error?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Decius posted:

And how can this be something Apple sees as acceptable if it isn't a production error?
Because it requires an incredibly bright light source (like the sun) to be aimed at the back of your Mac's display. I've never seen it under normal use on any of my Apple laptops, but I guess if you put a Maglite up to the back it'll show through?

Maybe it's a bit easier on the MBPr because the display assembly is so thin?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks. Sorry if I sound so worried, but planning to pay 2300 € for a laptop makes you feel like every single thing possibly wrong is like THE WORST THING EVER.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It's been the same ever since the logo lit up.

It's lit by the same backlight from the display, so yes, it's thinner there.

You'll notice it, then forget it's there.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Maybe it's a bit easier on the MBPr because the display assembly is so thin?

I held mine up to the sun like it was kimba and no this is oddly enough not an issue although it did make me feel oddly good so that's probably an issue?

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
Quick question here, but I'm looking at getting a 2011 21.5 inch iMac with 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066 MHz DDR3, 500GB HDD and I'm wondering how this would run games like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I have read that it is better to run it in bootcamp, but I am looking at getting this system for around $800 so I'm wondering if you guys think that's a good deal or not.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Wow, I noticed something interesting with my rMBP while goofing around in Diablo. It seems like when the dedicated graphics card is on the battery pretty much doesn't charge. I plugged in and started playing at around 44% battery life and after about an hour later noticed I was still only at 48%.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

LA attack posted:

Quick question here, but I'm looking at getting a 2011 21.5 inch iMac with 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066 MHz DDR3, 500GB HDD and I'm wondering how this would run games like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I have read that it is better to run it in bootcamp, but I am looking at getting this system for around $800 so I'm wondering if you guys think that's a good deal or not.

The last iMacs to use C2Ds/1066MHz RAM were 2009 models so you might want to check on that year. the 21.5 2009 also had two different GPU options so that would affect your performance. If by some chance that was the i3 and NOT the C2D that price isn't so bad, but if it's the C2D I'd say it's high by around $200. I honestly don't know how the gaming would be on it: I'd imagine poo poo in OS X for those games on that Mac, and it'd perform like a similarly specced PC in bootcamp.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

If I were to recommend a 2011 13" MBA to a buddy instead of the new one how big of an rear end-whooping would I receive in the coming months? I mean it still is a pretty freaking excellent laptop.

It would be used for browsing, some movies, some music, some photo-editing. No games, though. Standard stuff, really.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
So System 10.8 no longer supports my RAID card :smith: (RocketRAID 2320)
I assume this is related to the complete stripping of 32 bit code from the kernel.

I've opened a ticket, but...
Can anybody recommend a replacement?
RAID-5, ≥5 SATA ports or equivalent, PCI-E, must support OS X and Windows.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

El Duke Silver posted:

The last iMacs to use C2Ds/1066MHz RAM were 2009 models so you might want to check on that year. the 21.5 2009 also had two different GPU options so that would affect your performance. If by some chance that was the i3 and NOT the C2D that price isn't so bad, but if it's the C2D I'd say it's high by around $200. I honestly don't know how the gaming would be on it: I'd imagine poo poo in OS X for those games on that Mac, and it'd perform like a similarly specced PC in bootcamp.

I have a 2010 3.06GHz i3 - I've upgraded it with a 240GB SSD and 8GB RAM, but because of the goddamn 256MB ATI video card Expose is a loving slideshow most of the time. I can't imagine it playing any game better than Quake III without sucking a huge bag of dicks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

If I were to recommend a 2011 13" MBA to a buddy instead of the new one how big of an rear end-whooping would I receive in the coming months? I mean it still is a pretty freaking excellent laptop.

It would be used for browsing, some movies, some music, some photo-editing. No games, though. Standard stuff, really.
The only major bullet point missing from the 2011 Air vs. the 2012 Air is USB 3. Depending on how long he intends to keep the laptop, that could prove a worthwhile feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahayaksansan
Jan 2, 2008
we're all a bit like that tortoise aren't we?
I'd appreciate some help with deciding on a Macbook if someone would be kind enough to give me a hand.

I want to replace my old Dell Precision M90 with a new laptop. It's serving as my desktop being the huge behemoth that it is, so I was thinking of upgrading to something smaller that I could take to university and to the library.

I've been leaning towards a Macbook because I begrudgingly learned to like my ex-girl friend's old Powerbook and thought I'd try something new.

My basic usage would consist of me recording my awful guitar playing (Garage Band), writing school papers, watching movies through an external monitor and surfing the Internet.

I'm a bit undecided between a maxed-out Macbook Air or a low-range Macbook Pro 13" with an aftermarket SDD and RAM thrown in. I guess they'd come to around the same price as well. I do have the odd movie on DVD, but I could always get an external opitcal drive for the Air, so that isn't really a deciding factor either... Anyone have any preference?