Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode
For someone fairly new to the speedrun party, can I get a quick rundown on the acronyms here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jakuvious posted:

For someone fairly new to the speedrun party, can I get a quick rundown on the acronyms here?

This might help, but it looks like its missing some game-specific terms:
http://www.speedrunslive.com/faq/glossary/

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
MST - medallions, stones, trials; an Ocarina of Time speedrunning category that requires you to acquire/complete those.

RBA - Reverse Bottle Adventure, read up at zeldaspeedruns.com; basically a modified version of 'bottle adventure' that uses bottles to acquire items, removing the 'adventure' to find them.

WW - Wrong Warp, again check ZRL, using a end-of-dungeon warp but warping to the wrong area; allows you to move quickly between dungeons, skip cutscenes, and go from Deku Tree to the endgame in any%.

ZFG - zfg1, speedrunner

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Twitch really needs to get some script going that allows streamers to autoban any chat person who says "reset."

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Twitch really needs to get some script going that allows streamers to autoban any chat person who says "reset."
I think there's a twitch.tv feature that lets mods put certain words on censor, like how you can't say Peaches__'s name in the sunday sequence break channel from their april fools gag show. Regardless, yes, autoban would be nice. A lot of people could easily argue twitch chat is 100% useless at all times, but it is a bit disrespectful seeing people poo poo up Cosmowright's Wind Waker channel when the mods actually try to answer most questions about the game or route that's brought up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

E-Tap posted:

but it is a bit disrespectful seeing people poo poo up Cosmowright's Wind Waker channel when the mods actually try to answer most questions about the game or route that's brought up.

Honestly every time I've seen that happen Cosmo himself has asked if he should reset or continue.

But I rarely talk in the chat and even more rarely pay attention to it, so yeah.

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

Keyboard Kid posted:

MST - medallions, stones, trials; an Ocarina of Time speedrunning category that requires you to acquire/complete those.

RBA - Reverse Bottle Adventure, read up at zeldaspeedruns.com; basically a modified version of 'bottle adventure' that uses bottles to acquire items, removing the 'adventure' to find them.

WW - Wrong Warp, again check ZRL, using a end-of-dungeon warp but warping to the wrong area; allows you to move quickly between dungeons, skip cutscenes, and go from Deku Tree to the endgame in any%.

ZFG - zfg1, speedrunner

Thank you, very much. WW especially kept throwing me off. Talking about Cosmo on the same page made me connect WW with Windwaker.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You could set up an irc script to do it. You can connect to twitch chat with any IRC client.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A few years ago Maxwell Adams (or someone helping his stream chat) had an irc bot with a list of dozens of (rather random) forbidden words that would instant-ban you without warning. Good times.

So yeah, definitely possible and done before.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

People need to get less mad about resets in chat. Speedrunning is about getting good times, and you might have to reset if you gently caress up but still want to get a good time. It would be cool if people also whined less about people using the twitch faces in chat.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think Kappa would end up on there first.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

TheQat posted:

I don't know if it works with lower resolutions, I wasn't trying to say it only works with 1080p (hence the "at least"). Maybe it's worth a try!

I decided to test this by uploading a 1920x1080 video clip that's nothing but 5 seconds of swapping between a purple and green screen at 60hz. Youtube still reduced it to 29.97 fps, of all things, so the first half is solid purple and then it goes solid green.

I'm actually surprised that with all the other stuff they've added they still do this.

I guess to get around it on videos where it matters I can drop it to 20fps instead.

Edit: Uploaded a 20fps test clip to see if it kept the flicker (it did) and it told me the video was shaky and offered to fix it. I'm going to tell it to fix it just to see what it does.

Edit 2: Didn't seem to do anything. I wonder what it's supposed to do.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 11, 2012

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

QuantaStarFire posted:

I think Kappa would end up on there first.

I still don't get what that loving face is even meant to represent.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Luceid posted:

Serious answer: It's a dude looking smug. :smug:

Real answer: It represents everything that is wrong with the internet.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

UraniumAnchor posted:

Serious answer: It's a dude looking smug. :smug:

Real answer: It represents everything that is wrong with the internet.

From looking at it, I thought it was the twitch version of :unsmith:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

UraniumAnchor posted:

I decided to test this by uploading a 1920x1080 video clip that's nothing but 5 seconds of swapping between a purple and green screen at 60hz. Youtube still reduced it to 29.97 fps, of all things, so the first half is solid purple and then it goes solid green.

I'm actually surprised that with all the other stuff they've added they still do this.

I guess to get around it on videos where it matters I can drop it to 20fps instead.

Edit: Uploaded a 20fps test clip to see if it kept the flicker and it told me the video was shaky and offered to fix it. I'm going to tell it to fix it just to see what it does.

That's weird because there's definitely 1080p videos out there that are recordings of games (i.e. Dota2) at 60fps and they get an "Original" option in the resolution menu. Too bad Google keeps Youtube development pretty obfuscated or we might have some idea what's going on here!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Leonid posted:

People need to get less mad about resets in chat. Speedrunning is about getting good times, and you might have to reset if you gently caress up but still want to get a good time. It would be cool if people also whined less about people using the twitch faces in chat.

It's the very definition of :regd08: At one point the "this is the urn" "sig is a grill" etc stuff was kind of funny. But now it's just annoying.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dr. Stab posted:

From looking at it, I thought it was the twitch version of :unsmith:

I think it's more accurately described as twitch's version of :razz:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cosmo's racing TWW-JP against MrVolvagia for those interested.

He's also two minutes ahead of his record already, and that's with gently caress-ups.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

QuantaStarFire posted:

He's also two minutes ahead of his record already, and that's with gently caress-ups.

Before anyone asks, because ugh the twitch chat is so bad: The JP version has much faster text, but the Cabana deed skip is much harder to pull off because the Hookshot controls are different. It's unlikely that Cosmo will switch to the JP version for record attempts.

And this current race is just to Hyrule 1 (the first Master Sword), not the whole game, though I could see Cosmo keeping it going after the sword if he gets intrigued by the JP version differences.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

TheQat posted:

That's weird because there's definitely 1080p videos out there that are recordings of games (i.e. Dota2) at 60fps and they get an "Original" option in the resolution menu. Too bad Google keeps Youtube development pretty obfuscated or we might have some idea what's going on here!

Maybe you have to be a youtube partner or something weird like that?

Edit: Actually it looks like "Original" means "up to" 4096x2304? Something for me to try later tonight.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 11, 2012

Lawyer Dog
Mar 29, 2010
I have never seen any 60FPS videos on Youtube except for a few from back in 2008 when 60FPS was supported for a short time, and even then those are now only at 60FPS when playing them at 240p.

The best example I can find of a video that still plays at 60fps on Youtube is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRH-xagnvBw when it is set to 240p. The 240p quality looks drastically smoother, and right clicking and hitting "Show Video Info" or downloading the 240p quality video shows that is actually 60fps, while the 360p quality is 30fps.

BreakTargets
Apr 5, 2009

Just a random Spiral Knight...

Luceid posted:

http://www.twitchtvfaces.com/kappa.html

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

So Mike got the major cuts for AGDQ finished today, and you can find the updated games list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alb3Dj0u13H7dEN0Q3kyZzRiZjRLMzFrb0EyZDJ6QUE#gid=0

Ape Escape is still on the agenda :D

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

drat, there's a lot of long games on that list. Not that I'm complaining, per se, most of them are stuff I'd wanna watch to begin with.

Also Thief 2, hell yeah.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Captain Comic better be the NES version if it's going to be part of Awful Games Done Quick :argh:

Edit: First I get excited about New Super Mario Bros. then I see it's the DS version. Then I scroll down one more line and see the Wii version and get excited again. But then I see it's not going to be a 4 player live speedrunning clusterfuck.

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 12, 2012

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Leonid posted:

So Mike got the major cuts for AGDQ finished today, and you can find the updated games list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alb3Dj0u13H7dEN0Q3kyZzRiZjRLMzFrb0EyZDJ6QUE#gid=0

Ape Escape is still on the agenda :D

A race of Ecco the Dolphin? Those are words that don't go together well.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Dr. Dos posted:

Captain Comic better be the NES version if it's going to be part of Awful Games Done Quick :argh:

Edit: First I get excited about New Super Mario Bros. then I see it's the DS version. Then I scroll down one more line and see the Wii version and get excited again. But then I see it's not going to be a 4 player live speedrunning clusterfuck.

As amusing as such a thing would be to watch, it would not be a speedrun by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not convinced such a thing is possible.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

RingRush is about to start a speedrun fun run of My Stop Smoking Coach with Allen Carr: http://www.twitch.tv/ringrush

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Oh hey it's the source pic for that stupid face:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stream-Monsters/161227350611109

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Cosmo's on track to get his sub 5:25. He's currently 4:30 in.

Pretty much the only real bad thing that could happen now is a bad Puppet Ganon, right?

Edit: Wow, he's -4.12 after chart dechipering.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 13, 2012

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Volt Catfish posted:

Pretty much the only real bad thing that could happen now is a bad Puppet Ganon, right?

Why'd you saaaaay iiiiiit :gonk:

But yeah he should be fine.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yea, he's going to destroy his record, it's going to happen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sub 5:20 will be easy.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
And there it is, 5:21:08.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What time did he get? Is he going for sub 5:20 now?

Edit: drat that's a good time.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

fleshweasel posted:

He says he might learn the Japanese version

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

fleshweasel posted:

It's either that or he will learn the Japanese version. He hasn't decided yet.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

He's close enough now to make 5:20 a real possibility so I think he'll shoot for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
5:20 will be a painful road, I think. Now that he's so low, he needs to get first try Southern Fairy or Outset on the cyclone every time, or the run is pretty much shot right there. He can make up some more time on the Cabana, too, but...it's the Cabana skip.

I think he should go for JP, personally.

• Locked thread