Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
There's a barber cut machine in the (depressingly small) mall arcade and the prizes are things like Ipod's and Xbox 360's. It's about $1 and it just seems way too shady to even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Last year I found barber cut machine here aswell, had stuff like ps3 controllers and ipods, we spent like total of 40eur with a friend to get the controller, but failed.

The cutting part is drat small and you have to line it up perfectly. Also I think the machine cheats By adding random delays to button presses.

I recommend to stay away from them to save your money.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
I've been seeing those squishy pigs EVERYWHERE lately. They have a booth of tons of them in the mall, and I've seen them a few other places. Makes me think of GCCX every time.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

makere posted:

Last year I found barber cut machine here aswell, had stuff like ps3 controllers and ipods, we spent like total of 40eur with a friend to get the controller, but failed.

The cutting part is drat small and you have to line it up perfectly. Also I think the machine cheats By adding random delays to button presses.

If there's one thing I can say about Japanese prize catchers, it's that they're usually fair. I have never won anything in an American prize catcher in my life, and they've always felt impossible to me. In Japan if you're willing to spend a few bucks you're likely to walk out with something. The machines are 100 yen but I feel actually getting things you'd want rather than lame generic stuff no one has ever heard of (On top of actually having a good chance of winning) makes it worth it.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I think the only machines you're guaranteed to get anything from is the candy ones. I've seen some claw machines with stupidly loose grip in my time, when it's jangling about when you're moving it you know you've already lost.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Most of those machines are made to (possibly) pay out at a set interval to make the prizes seem winnable. They can usually change that interval, or modify the grip or reset period.

I was at Six Flags recently, where most of the prizes were really high value (Wiis, iPods, etc). I have to wonder how many people immediately give a shot at the game when someone wins. One shot at the Wii was $3.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose

GidgetNomates posted:

I've been seeing those squishy pigs EVERYWHERE lately. They have a booth of tons of them in the mall, and I've seen them a few other places. Makes me think of GCCX every time.

I've had one of them for a while so I was pleasantly surprised to see one on the show.

Since this is my first time posting in the thread: I've recently heard about the show because of the thread and I've been watching episodes like crazy. Thanks for all the hard work in translating and subbing it, zari and co. :3:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

makere posted:

There's a mini arcade on my university's campus and it has one of those. I remember seeing an xbox360 in it. Of course, I doubt I could win anything, so I didn't try. I would probably need more money to win it than to just buy it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

makere posted:

The thing to remember about all of those mechanical prize games is that they're designed to look simple but avoid paying out as much as possible. There may be internal settings that arrange how often the player can win or there can be a game that's actually much harder than it looks. And that's not even counting the possibility of out right corrupt arcade owners who have rigged the machine to never award prizes.

Basically unless you can figure out the inner workings of the machine and manipulate them to win you shouldn't bother playing. They're not in the business of giving out more prizes than money they take in.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've got a barber cut machine at the movie theater I work at, and I have been witness to watching two of my employees win at it. One day, I snipped away at one of the strings holding a PSVita before another employee swooped in and finished it off (my god the schadenfreude :qq: ), and not even two days ago I watched a guys get a 3DS in a matter of 5 bucks.

I do think there are certain cash level that need to be met before the controls are responsive without any lag, but man...that game can turn a 12 year old's hair gray.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I rarely see the Barber Shop cutter games around here (Southern Connecticut), it's usually a Stacker machine or the Winners' Cube ones.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Nickoten posted:

If there's one thing I can say about Japanese prize catchers, it's that they're usually fair. I have never won anything in an American prize catcher in my life, and they've always felt impossible to me. In Japan if you're willing to spend a few bucks you're likely to walk out with something.

The American-style and Japanese-style machines are equally fair, and both work on the principle of "once enough money has gone into this machine, someone wins a prize worth 1/3 of that money".

The Japanese machines generally involve playing until a prize has been nudged into a winnable position, or in the case of the Barber Shop machine, hotting the wire with a blunt blade enough times that the wire starts to sever. You can't win by skill alone, but players who understand the game can usually look at the machine, and make a reasonable estimate of how many times more the machine has to be played, before the prize becomes winnable

The only difference with American-style machines is that it's harder for an onlooker to judge how many more plays the machine will take before it becomes winnable. Instead of a claw that controls the same every time, the strength of the claw varies based on how much money is in the machine. When the machine has accumulated 300% of the value of the prize, the claw's gripping properties will change, and the machine will pay out.

A modern variation of SWP games now hitting both Japan and American are based on the concept of a "Magic Pixel". The most transparant of these is Stacker - a game where you have to use skill to drop giant pixels ontop of each other until they reach the top. As the game is accumulating money, it will allow players to reach the top of the screen, but if they successfuly hit the jackpot, the game will simply ignore the winning input, and show the player that they hit a fraction of a second too early or too late. Only when the machine has accumulated enough money to pay out the prize, will the game start aknowledging correct presses, and let the player win. Another good example is Key Master, which works on the same principle, but also ignores correct inputs, and nudges the player's aim one pixel to the right to stop a successful win, until it accumulates enough money to pay out.

Whether these games are winnable or not depends on the honesty of the staff operating the machines. If 900 people in a row play Stacker, then it will pay out an iPad on the 900th play, but that's assuming nobody empties the machine, or resets the counter inbetween those 900 plays.

In Japan, it seems to make good business sense to let the machines pay out, so that players win, or see other people win, and are re-assured that all is fair. Outside Japan, arcade owners are traditionaly a little less honest, and would probably rather keep their iPad AND the $900.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tyma posted:

In Japan, it seems to make good business sense to let the machines pay out, so that players win, or see other people win, and are re-assured that all is fair.
Hell, in Japan it's not unknown for staff to occasionally rearrange prizes to give you a leg up.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tyma posted:

Whether these games are winnable or not depends on the honesty of the staff operating the machines. If 900 people in a row play Stacker, then it will pay out an iPad on the 900th play, but that's assuming nobody empties the machine, or resets the counter inbetween those 900 plays.

In Japan, it seems to make good business sense to let the machines pay out, so that players win, or see other people win, and are re-assured that all is fair. Outside Japan, arcade owners are traditionaly a little less honest, and would probably rather keep their iPad AND the $900.
I saw a video where a guy adjusted the arm strength for a claw game, so it would be too weak for somebody to win even if it was payout time.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I saw a video where a guy adjusted the arm strength for a claw game, so it would be too weak for somebody to win even if it was payout time.

This is why I never play prize games, especially in the US. Maybe I'll try a claw game in a really well run arcade in Korea (never been to Japan), but in the US, I just automatically assume all prize games are 100% scams.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

A gift from a fan to the show is now a gift from the show to a fan... We have come full circle.

Thanks for your patience during this brief dry spell of releases as I take a bit of a summer break. I'll be back in full force soon. The episode I'm working on right now is an ooold one, and Nagoyan and I have something neat planned.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hey, Amazon now has an entry for Game Center CX's DVD release.

Unfortunately it looks like it's something was entered by one of their resellers rather than Amazon themselves and there are no preorders available yet.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's possible, but unless your claw machines contain diamond-encrusted tiaras, why would you bother? Claw machines already carry a stigmata that the machine is rigged, so arcade owners rely on punters witnessing wins in order to re-assure them that the arcade's machines are safe to play.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but this just showed up in my Youtube subscription page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLW-2VfreWM

Arino plays the Kirby Wii sidescroler

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Disappointed that it isn't Kirby's Epic Yarn.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Zaa Boogie posted:

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but this just showed up in my Youtube subscription page.

Looks loke the new Kirby Aniversary game. Thanks for the video link. Looks like it was done after the previous Kirby GCCX special a while ago.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Was that the one that aired alongside the last Nintendo Direct from a few weeks ago?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tyma posted:

Claw machines already carry a stigmata that the machine is rigged

You mean 'stigma'. 'Stigmata' is when you magically bleed from the hands like Jesus.

Sorry, I know people find this annoying, I just care about language usage. :goonsay:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
:confused: Stigmata is the plural of stigma.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well then it was still incorrect usage. :colbert:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Right now I'm listening to the English version of Last Continue with the lyrics I translated (they sent me the file) and am getting major fuzzies from it :3: I mean sure all I did was translate it to English but these are my words and it's just super neat to hear them sung in a cute Japanese accent.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Is Nakayama singing it?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Probably shouldn't give any details not officially released!

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Zaa Boogie posted:

That looks like a variation of the Sword Challenge room from Return To Dreamland, modified to include tutorial elements from the game's first stage. The hub he enters it from doesn't look like any of the game's hubs, though - more than anything else, it looks like an early demo for a typical Kirby first world.

This is presumably not the Anniversary Collection since the title screen shows the Whip power, which was introduced in Return to Dreamland.

edit: Oh, nice. Disregard me being an idiot.

Benly fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 11, 2012

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

It IS the Anniversary Collection. It has new Challenge Rooms like Return to Dream Land's. It also comes out next week in Japan.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

GidgetNomates posted:

Wish I had as much luck finding them. I really want to get one.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Shady3011 posted:

Wish I had as much luck finding them. I really want to get one.

http://dx.com/p/smash-it-stress-relief-jelly-soft-ball-3828?rt=1&p=2&m=2&r=3&k=1&t=1&s=3832&u=3828

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I have a couple questions regarding Guadia Quest on Retro Game Challenge...

How long is the game to do a full playthrough and is it a very grindy game?

I looked it up earlier and someone on GameFAQs (Google sent me there, but the person seemed to be the most sane person on there) said it's about ~10 hours, which sounds pretty good considering it's not meant to be very long since they know that people who don't like RPGs don't want to spend a ton of time playing it in story mode. I didn't hear anything about how grindy it is, but I'm sure it's not too bad unless someone decides to run from every random encounter. I'm just hoping it's nothing like Dragon Warrior 1, which was probably the grindiest game I've ever played.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Obeast posted:

I looked it up earlier and someone on GameFAQs (Google sent me there, but the person seemed to be the most sane person on there) said it's about ~10 hours, which sounds pretty good considering it's not meant to be very long since they know that people who don't like RPGs don't want to spend a ton of time playing it in story mode. I didn't hear anything about how grindy it is, but I'm sure it's not too bad unless someone decides to run from every random encounter. I'm just hoping it's nothing like Dragon Warrior 1, which was probably the grindiest game I've ever played.

You only need to take out the first boss for Arinos challenges. After that it's all up to you if you wanna continue. Also if you wanna finish the LAST LAST challenge and beat every single game, just keep in mind that the challenge is only to see every ending.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Gutcruncher posted:

You only need to take out the first boss for Arinos challenges. After that it's all up to you if you wanna continue. Also if you wanna finish the LAST LAST challenge and beat every single game, just keep in mind that the challenge is only to see every ending.
Actually, I've already played through RGC's story mode, but I did the easy/quick ending in Guadia Quest instead of actually playing the whole game. I'm planning on playing through the full game in Free Play mode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

I think it took me about fifteen hours to do and I did have to do a bit of grinding.

However, there is a superpowerful guardian you can pick up that makes things pretty simple: it's Arino himself, of course. You're best off looking at a FAQ for the exact location but I remember it's found in a square of one forest by itself in the NW region of the map.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I was under the impression that you were meant to use power-leveling and "read an FAQ" tricks to severely cut down the Guardia Quest playtime. I mean, that's one of the "meta" concepts of the game.

Gaiking
Mar 20, 2009
Hey guys, I believe this is my first ever post on these forums. I must first give thanks for the awesome content provided by this thread, I love GCCX and I appreciate all the effort the translation team and fans have put on to deliver us this awesome show.

Now to the reason for this post! I'll be visiting Japan for two weeks with my wife, we will be staying at Tokyo for 5 days. What do you guys think would be the most feasible way of trying to get in contact with gascoin with the possibility of touring their offices and meeting their staff?

I really don't speak Japanese but we will have a native guide for most of the days in Tokyo, I've tried making sense of the gascoin website listed on the first post on this thread hoping to find an e-mail address that I could write to in hopes of hitting the jackpot and receiving a reply from them.

What do you guys think? Maybe try twitter? I'm not too versed with the twitterverse and would try not to make a fool out of myself by publicly asking with broken google translate japanese on there!

Thanks!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Obeast posted:

I wrote 2 of the FAQS and am pretty knowledgeable with both DS games. I cannot help you with the detective adventure games. The FAQ is all you need. As for Gaudia Quest Saga, the spells are the same in both games except for 1 which is a crappy spell. Use the FAQ from the first DS game on GameFaqs to help with the Japanses spell list. Grinding is not really neccessary until the end and the secret boss. Try the game wiki link below.

DS GCCX games wiki:
http://www29.atwiki.jp/ds_gamecenter_cx/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Gaiking posted:

Hey guys, I believe this is my first ever post on these forums. I must first give thanks for the awesome content provided by this thread, I love GCCX and I appreciate all the effort the translation team and fans have put on to deliver us this awesome show.

Now to the reason for this post! I'll be visiting Japan for two weeks with my wife, we will be staying at Tokyo for 5 days. What do you guys think would be the most feasible way of trying to get in contact with gascoin with the possibility of touring their offices and meeting their staff?

I really don't speak Japanese but we will have a native guide for most of the days in Tokyo, I've tried making sense of the gascoin website listed on the first post on this thread hoping to find an e-mail address that I could write to in hopes of hitting the jackpot and receiving a reply from them.

What do you guys think? Maybe try twitter? I'm not too versed with the twitterverse and would try not to make a fool out of myself by publicly asking with broken google translate japanese on there!

Thanks!

There is no way they will say yes and I think it is rude to even ask. It is a place of work not a museum. You should visit some of the arcades and such that have been featured on the show itself.