Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Galg posted:

drat, I guess I misread that fullscreen thing on Apple's Mountain Lion site.

So, now you can fullscreen on external monitors, but it still renders the other display useless? I can't understand at all why Apple chooses to do fullscreen this way, it makes absolutely no sense.

Fullscreen makes a lot of sense on the 11" MacBook Air, but isn't terribly useful on devices with larger screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mug posted:

Mountain Lion is bringing iMessage to Macs, right? That's the feature I want most.

Yes, you'll soon not be able to receive messages in even more places. :v:

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Mug posted:

Mountain Lion is bringing iMessage to Macs, right? That's the feature I want most.

I already have a beef with the GM version of messages and it's going to drive me nuts if there isn't a resolution.

:argh: Animated gifs are suppose to loop Apple. :argh:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple's never been able to get animated .gifs right, regardless of context or application.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Apple's never been able to get animated .gifs right, regardless of context or application.

I know, and it doesn't seem like animated gifs are that hard of a thing to implement. They've been an integral part of the web forever.

You gotta know that it's probably some political thing over there, because it was fine in the Messages beta (but not fine in Messages on iPad).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

To be fair it took Google quite a while to not suck at animated gifs in Chrome as well, just not as much as Apple fucks it up.

I'm still legit mad about the fullscreen because I would totally use it if I could do chrome on one monitor, terminal on the other and use my imac display for gently caress-all else. I don't need my dock and the maximize button doesn't make the window take up the whole window on browsers >:[

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Galg posted:

So, now you can fullscreen on external monitors, but it still renders the other display useless? I can't understand at all why Apple chooses to do fullscreen this way, it makes absolutely no sense.

I don't like how it works, but I think the idea is that each full-screen app generates its own space, and you can't have two spaces running on two different monitors simultaneously.

I think what would work best is if you had a set of spaces for each monitor. Even if I wasn't using full-screen apps I could see how it would be useful to maintain the same content on one screen while swiping through spaces on another. There'd be a few edge cases to work around, but I think it would work really well, and it would solve the lovely full-screen problem.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Galg posted:

May I recommend RightZoom? It changes the behavior of the green button to the Windows style of maximizing a window to fit the screen.

It helps in some situations, but it's not the perfect solution. It's made me forget about the "native" OSX full screen behavior, though.

I was in a thread yesterday with a fuckton of GIFs in each post and Safari didn't skip a beat. This was even with Lion, no less! No choppiness or lag with the playback of the GIFs at ALL. I remember how it was just last year, so maybe the latest Safari update for Lion fixed it?

2010 C2D MBP here.

Here's a NSFW weed thread in TCC loaded with GIFs to see for yourself:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3480143&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

decypher fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 11, 2012

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Can you pick a Space to airplay to an apple tv, or does it just airplay what is currently on the screen?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I have the CS6 Master Collection, so I have a massive pile of uninstallers. Is there a way to make them go away in a way that doesn't come back every time I install an app?

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012
Man I'm really struggling to spend that free $100 that came with my new macbook. I bought a few games (Limbo, Bastion, Braid, Machinarium), but still have well over half left and no idea what to do with it. There is the itunes store, of course, but I'm not in the mood to buying music. Anyone know any "must have" apps?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Off the top of my head: Transmit, Sparrow, Textual, CodeRunner, Pixelmator, Reeder, and TrashMe.

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012

Off the top of my head: Transmit, Sparrow, Textual, CodeRunner, Pixelmator, Reeder, and TrashMe.

Thank you, I'll take a look at them.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sparrow, Pixelmator, Growl, Permute.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Drop Zone

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm quite impressed with Dropzone and TrashMe and see them as essentials, but TrashMe kind of feels like something that shouldn't really need to exist and is simply the product of a badly designed uninstall system. Is it really true what they say on the TrashMe home page about not being able to remove anything completely from a Mac without the use of this app?

Also, I know its possible to boot Mac OS X and Windows, but is it also possible to dualboot Mac OS X and Ubuntu as well? If not, will the feature be available in Mountain Lion?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Manky posted:

Sparrow, Pixelmator, Growl, Permute.
I've neglected getting the paid version of Growl for the past year, and now that ML has notifications I think I'll forgo it entirely.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wario In Real Life posted:

I've neglected getting the paid version of Growl for the past year, and now that ML has notifications I think I'll forgo it entirely.

I regret nothing!

(hey guys, remember Konfabulator? And how Apple wrecked it with Dashboard? And now Apple doesn't give a poo poo about dashboard and half the time you try to download a widget from their "gallery" you get a 404 error because they couldn't even be bothered to rehost the files?)

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Seconding/thirding Transmit, Pixelmator, and Reeder. Each one is absolutely fantastic at what it does.

Additionally, Fantastical is a really neat/useful quick way to view/add events to your calendars.

I disagree with Sparrow. I find Mail.app to be more fully featured and generally more pleasing, but YMMV.

You can dual boot OS X and Ubuntu, but Apple doesn't provide Linux drivers, so you're on your own there. Ubuntu supports some models of Mac better than others, so check their wiki first. Depending on how heavy your Linux needs are, you might be better off running Ubuntu in VMWare Fusion/Parallels Desktop/VirtualBox.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
No transmit love? I'll admit I stole it for a long time but once I got that credit first thing I bought

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I like NetNewsWire.

:colbert:

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Applesmack posted:

Also, I know its possible to boot Mac OS X and Windows, but is it also possible to dualboot Mac OS X and Ubuntu as well?
Yes. Boot Camp isn't really Windows specific nor does it do anything special other than resize your Mac's HFS+ partition and grab drivers, the BIOS emulation/booting support is built in.

Easiest thing to do is to just install the rEFIt boot manager, use Disk Utility to resize your HFS+ partition to create some free space, then boot off a Ubuntu CD.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Sinestro posted:

I have the CS6 Master Collection, so I have a massive pile of uninstallers. Is there a way to make them go away in a way that doesn't come back every time I install an app?

I might be misreading your question, but if you're looking to keep your Launchpad uncluttered, then check out Launchpad Control

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Has anyone heard anything about this trackpad driver?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Applesmack posted:

Is it really true what they say on the TrashMe home page about not being able to remove anything completely from a Mac without the use of this app?

It's false. Without the app, you have to manually remove the left over .plist and log files. They all reside in the ~/Library folder usually. Additionally, these files are usually microscopic in size and aren't anything to worry about really in terms of disk space.

It's really not much different than some Windows programs leaving data in your AppData folder.

Granted, each program is different and some might store more in these places than other.

edit: With that said, I do use AppZapper to remove my programs.

edit2: An example of a program storing a bunch of data in the Library is Steam. Any game you've installed resides there. I'd imagine dragging Steam from the Applications folder to the trash would mean those downloaded games would remain.

decypher fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 11, 2012

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Martytoof posted:

No. Unless I'm severely mistaken the GM and Retail were both the same build number.

This is correct. By definition it MUST be. Unless Apple halts the production of the media that will be physically shipped, the GM will ALWAYS be identical to the release version. Which never happens.

Asking if there will be any changes between the GM and the final release is stupid.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Accipiter posted:

Asking if there will be any changes between the GM and the final release is stupid.
No it isn't. It's happened in the past where Apple has distributed GM seeds that ended up being ever so slightly different than what eventually got pushed to the public. The first one that comes to mind is iOS 4 which lacked Game Center in the GM seed.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Accipiter posted:

Unless Apple halts the production of the media that will be physically shipped, the GM will ALWAYS be identical to the release version. Which never happens.
What physically shipped media? http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/17/os-x-mountain-lion-to-be-download-only/

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
GMs don't mean anything anymore.

The more accurate descriptor would be 'The final release that we'll distribute unless someone finds a bug that fucks it up for everybody at the last minute'

GM seems easier to say, mind you.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Yeast posted:

GMs don't mean anything anymore.
The idea behind a GM at this stage in the computer industry is that it's the final code that will be distributed to users — so if a developer's app works with the GM, it will also work with the OS that everyone downloads later this month. No surprise changes, bugfixes that break little features, etc.

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

not everybody's cup of tea
I know this is probably a stupid question but I can't figure out how to turn off the dictionary in ML. It is driving me crazy because I use Better Touch Tool to three finger tap a link to open in a new tab and it pops up the definition of the word my cursor happens to be on.

Any idea how to turn this off?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

lazywhiteboy posted:

Any idea how to turn this off?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

not everybody's cup of tea

Thank you very much. I am an idiot.

EDIT: Actually, after unchecking the "look up" option the three finger tap no longer works at all. Is there any way to change the look up gesture to something other than three finger tap?

lazywhiteboy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 11, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Tried out bootcamp and I got Windows 7 to install ok, even mucked around in it before rebooting. However I couldn't get it to start up, even from the partition select screen. It just freezes up, any of you guys have any idea what I can do?

E: Just deleted the partition and reinstalled and it seems to work fine now, I have no idea what made it go wrong the first time though.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 11, 2012

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
What are people's thoughts on Acorn vs Pixelmator? They seem to be the two most recommended image editing programs

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Messages needs support for Do Not Disturb.

edit: Apparently Notification Center has this feature?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/05/mountain-lion-to-have-do-not-disturb-feature-for-notifications/

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 11, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Panic! At The cisco posted:

Tim you promised me full screen on any monitor, but not like this. Not like this...

So from what I understand, currently full screen full screen's the app on the main monitor and renders additional monitors useless; in ML, instead of full screening the app on the main monitor and rendering additional monitors useless, it'll let me choose which monitor for the app to go and the rest still get rendered useless?

If that's true then god drat what are they thinking and why can't they get it right, especially if they advertise that you can connect 3! monitors up to the new MBPs.

To be honest I don't really like full screen mode and don't really see why it was added. One of the major things of moving from Windows to OS X for me was that by default things weren't full screen anymore. At first it was annoying that Safari didn't take up the full space like Firefox did in Windows but then I realized that this was good because a lot of that space was wasted and I'd rather be able to see my buddy list and some other apps in the background. Plus it's really cool that I can have Safari and a pdf opened under it, and still be able to read the PDF and scroll up and down it without tabbing over to the pdf.

I gave full screen a try when it came out but didn't find it too useful. For example Mail is annoying because composing a new mail brings up the compose window in the space. It's annoying for me because when I'm emailing people I'm usually referencing a PDF or other document or a website or hell reading another email and I can't do that with Mail in fullscreen mode.

Is this a new ML app and does it sync to iOS? Because then I want it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this a new ML app and does it sync to iOS? Because then I want it.
Yes and yes.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
What does the new Mountain Lion expose + spaces look like when that option is checked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

jwoven posted:

What does the new Mountain Lion expose + spaces look like when that option is checked?

You see the old style exposè with every window from every app then the spaces on top. It's basically Mission Control without the windows grouped by application.