Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zorak posted:

We have no evidence that Annie is "Anti-Wall". The only thing she's done is tried to capture Eren, for whatever reason. We know not the motivation of her masters.

True, but she isn't exactly particularly pro or anti human either and she and the other deviate titans are the only ones to actually destroy the wall. Her goal still remains somewhat nebulous apart from it including Eren if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh, right, I was also going to respond to this:

Nilbop posted:

I'm also getting slightly weary of it being the worst day in human history, ever, ever ever, again.
There's a very simple and well defined definition of "Worst Day for Humanity" and that is a wall being breached.

Humanity had three walls, and three potential "worst days," the third also being their last day. We're on worst day number two.

I've actually been struck by how well the story's been pacing itself with catastrophes. We're not just getting a series of horrible things to make us feel bad because they're freaky, we're getting a series of consequential things, that make us feel bad because of the dreadful implications.

It's pretty horrible/great.

MaxwellsEquations
Oct 21, 2010

He achieved greatness unequalled
-Max Planck
The more I read this manga, the more it strikes me that Isayama Hijame has a man crush on Hieronymus Bosch. The titan designs are very reminiscent of Last Judgment, especially the latest ones.

But seconding everyone, rare to find a manga where the power of friendship is not the answer to everything. God, such a brutal story

MaxwellsEquations fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 10, 2012

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!
Unless Annie is a deep cover agent and crap like 3D gear isn't important enough to report back. Assuming her job even involves reporting back before her mission is complete.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

Unless Annie is a deep cover agent and crap like 3D gear isn't important enough to report back. Assuming her job even involves reporting back before her mission is complete.

Colossal saw the 3D gear as well. So we can assume him and Annie are probably in the same faction while Sasquatch is in another. Also even the idiot titans show a level of deference to the Sasquatch, mostly because of fear. Didn't even know that was possible.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 10, 2012

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Colossal saw the 3D gear as well. So we can assume him and Annie are probably in the same faction while Sasquatch is in another. Also even the idiot titans show a level of deference to the Sasquatch, mostly because of fear. Didn't even know that was possible.

Colossal used the 3D gear, or at least this is a theory on how it disappeared

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I see no reason to jump to the conclusion that there are different factions of giants just because one titan seems less informed on his dinner than others. "Being hairy" is likewise no greater sign of a political split in the titans than "being 50 foot tall." If anything, it speaks to me of different divisions in an organization. The parrallel I think of is the way Kizaru acts like he's a retard who's completely out of it up until it's time to go pirate hunting.

I'm not saying anyone's wrong, but there's not enough info here to support the theory everyone's jumping on board with. "Ymir's people" gives far more credence to that than what happens this chapter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

hackbunny posted:

Colossal used the 3D gear, or at least this is a theory on how it disappeared

Er, what?

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"

In his human form.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Speculation, as so much of what we've been talking about is.

It's also pretty silly.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Did Annie command any of the other brainless giants around her? It's clear that Sasquatch intended for his orders to be followed when he commanded that one giant eating that scouting legion guy.

Agent Baal
May 28, 2006

my dixie wrecked

Thoren posted:

Did Annie command any of the other brainless giants around her? It's clear that Sasquatch intended for his orders to be followed when he commanded that one giant eating that scouting legion guy.

The first time she was pinned down she howled and they came and ate her, but I think that was about it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure if Annie was even capable of speech in titan form.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
One little detail about these turn of events irks me, they aren't using something that's well within their technology and they have in fact used before, signal flares. All this running around nonsense, you'd think a nation of people with such a looming threat would throw up a couple bell towers too.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I think that's because they're too far from Eren and the rest of the Scouting Legion, which of course brings the obvious question why they didn't have a relay signal system like the soldiers guarding the Great Wall of China, for example. All of this sorts of details kind of reinforced the idea that the wall isn't there to protect humanity but to control like some of the posters here speculated.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm not sure if Annie was even capable of speech in titan form.

True, but she did commandeer the other titans to come to her aid somehow.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
I wouldn't go as far as to say taunting the titans to cannibalise her really counts as calling for aid. Sasha said it best: it was more of a desperate howl than anything. It's interesting however that the titans cannibalised Sasha's titan form. She's probably a human that's been given the ability to turn into a titan. She did see Eren's titan form get eaten, maybe she used this information to her advantage.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

codeorange posted:

I wouldn't go as far as to say taunting the titans to cannibalise her really counts as calling for aid. Sasha said it best: it was more of a desperate howl than anything. It's interesting however that the titans cannibalised Sasha's titan form. She's probably a human that's been given the ability to turn into a titan. She did see Eren's titan form get eaten, maybe she used this information to her advantage.

It was clearly a rescue thing. She didn't start talking smack about their mothers, I don't know where you got the taunting bit.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Taunting in the way a matador taunts a bull. "I'm right here, come get me if you think you can!", but instead of dodging he lets himself get gored.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I always assumed Annie was just drawing the Titans' attention to her. They did prioritize titan Eren over humans, so they seem to have a problem with them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Didn't she get the other titans to go to the forest, or was that after her yell?

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
Or they were just chasing her to begin with. Have we ever seen a human titan and a 'regular' titan peacefully together?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

codeorange posted:

I'm leaning towards the idea that Annie is part of a faction that comes from within the human race turning into titans, instead of her being an infiltrator of the outside-titans. It would be such a cliche if these inner-titan transformers were fighting for the good of humanity.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 14, 2012

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

j4on posted:

Or they were just chasing her to begin with. Have we ever seen a human titan and a 'regular' titan peacefully together?

That's a valuable line of inquiry but the Colossal and Gatecrasher titans both seemed to be working in tandem with the giants, and the assumption is that Annie is as well. It is weird that if they just swarmed her to eat her out of instinct instead of because of a command she gave that they'd ignore the two humans standing around in favour of bringing down this much more dangerous target.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.
How do we know Gatecrasher/Colossal are working with Big Hairy Dude and co.? Big Hairy Dude took down the wall himself probably, he seems unfamiliar with the titan fighting tactics of this nation, after all. I don't recall there being any mention of who specifically took down the wall this time, yet.

j4on posted:

Yeah, I think this is a really, really good point to catch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

How much of the dialog is terrible due to rough translation vs bad dialog at the source? I cringed at "Sasha farted" and the repeat hard to poo poo jokes (?).
The action and setting is real intriguing but the character development keeps mucking with my love for the overall story.
Three childhood friends turned out to be one with a hulk form, another that's potentially the greatest fighter ever, and kid coward who gets so smart his logic predicts the future.
Pease tell me it's translation issues.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you can't stand the characters, I suggest you stop reading now.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Junkie Disease posted:

How much of the dialog is terrible due to rough translation vs bad dialog at the source? I cringed at "Sasha farted"

Aw, what? C'mon. The joke is that Sasha is a spacey dimwit who gets picked on by the most :geno: member of the cast. It's not like she actually farted, it's a character joke.

Well, different humor for different stripes, but it's not a literal-fart joke if that's what made you cringe.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

The joke makes a bit more sense when you take into account that potatoes have the same 'musical' reputation in Japan as beans do in the West.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 18, 2012

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hey I love a good fart joke when delivered properly but it just came so off color for a story of people eaten by larger freakier people. The characters might be a biting me wrong since I just started Vinland saga at the same time.

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.
Chapter 36 is out on mangareader. Man this one really tricked me into thinking something even more horrible was going on, than what actually happened in the end. God drat creepy titans.

:gonk:

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
http://www.mangaeden.com/en-manga/shingeki-no-kyojin/36/1/

It's Sasha time. Krista's black-hair-and-freckles friend is finally named. Ymir, as in "Ymir's people" from that side story? I've got nothing.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I was so sure that titan was her dad. Seriously, just compare their faces. All's well that ends well, though! Well, except for the old woman. She's proper hosed.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Sasha added to the long list of people that loving Own.

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.

Vincent Valentine posted:

I was so sure that titan was her dad. Seriously, just compare their faces. All's well that ends well, though! Well, except for the old woman. She's proper hosed.

At first I thought the titan was a villager that had just gone bonkers and took to cannibalism, because it looked small, and Sasha's dad talking about the conditions in this territory :gonk:

Sasha is badass. She deserves all the potatoes.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011

McDragon posted:

Holy loving poo poo, this manga is amazing. I've seen the thread floating around for a while, but somehow managed to get entirely the wrong idea about it. I sort of thought it was a sport one. Yeah, sounds really stupid, but I'm sure there's something with a similar title that's about some kind of sport. Thought it was metaphorical giants rather than actual ones.

Edit: Giant Killing! That was the one I was mixing it up with.

"Are you sometimes mistaken for the manga artist who does the series GIANT KILLING (about soccer)?”

ISA: Just recently, my own editor made that mistake.

From author's interview:
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/06/14/attack-on-titan-creator-hajime-isayama-interview/?xrs=share_red

His responses are quite funny, I bet he can do a good comedy series. Though Sasha's scene confirmed that for a while.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If Sasha ever dies this manga may well become unreadable.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

quote:

“What manga do you recommend right now?”

ISA: All-rounder Meguru and Iron Wind!!
This guy. This guy has good taste. (Iron Wind is the translation of Teppu.)

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

This guy. This guy has good taste. (Iron Wind is the translation of Teppu.)

Hell yes. Too bad those both update about as often as this does. :saddowns:

I also thought that last titan was a crazy villager, it looked very much more human than the other small ones we've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Mo_Steel posted:

Hell yes. Too bad those both update about as often as this does. :saddowns:

I also thought that last titan was a crazy villager, it looked very much more human than the other small ones we've seen.

Actually that's a really good point. Sasquatch said that they all have something in the nape of their necks. That guy might have something, but he's not that much larger than your average person(by Titan standards), so he's definitely not piloted. What would he have in his nape?