Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Elephanthead posted:

I am an idiot, that is the last American truck with a manual column shifter.

My gf's S-10 had 3 on the tree, and I think that was a 90s one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Tai-Pan posted:

Easy buddy, I love me some S1.
Just not a $3500 one that clearly has been sitting in a field with its windows down for the last 10 years.

You might as well be starting your restoration with a bucket of paper mache and a pile of rust.

Am I the only one that doesn't think it looks that bad? The motor / transmission / suspension / visible hoses look surprisingly fresh, the exposed steel parts of the undercarriage are relatively free of corrosion except for the exhaust tubing (which is expected), the body is straight, the wheels look clean, the tires hold air, etc. It almost looks like it could have been on the road just a couple years ago, to me at least. Obviously it needs paint, and of course the interior isn't pictured. I would be curious to see what the interior looks like.

e: I posted this in this thread a while back, I think it merits a repost. This here's an S1. :clint:

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 11, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Fairly sure that's an S3.

That S1 - in the uk - probably wouldn't be THAT bad a buy, parts and support etc are't too hard to come by.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Black88GTA posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't think it looks that bad?

Well it is an incredibly rare color. Ugly as hell, but probably one of only 2-3 in the country that color.

That said, why would you dump tens of thousands into a restoration when that gorgeous turbo is only $15?

Here is someone that did, look at what was involved in his:
http://www.lotusespritrestoration.com/

mr_bunnyfish
Feb 6, 2012

i have no words

edit: here's the listing http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/3078584070.html

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Tai-Pan posted:

Well it is an incredibly rare color. Ugly as hell, but probably one of only 2-3 in the country that color.

That said, why would you dump tens of thousands into a restoration when that gorgeous turbo is only $15?

Here is someone that did, look at what was involved in his:
http://www.lotusespritrestoration.com/

True, doing a full restore would be pretty over the top. My dad's 79 was a theft recovery that had the interior torched. Not sure exactly how much he ended up sinking into it, but I know he had to completely redo the interior. It actually worked out OK since he needed to remove the majority of the foam in the drivers seat so he could actually fit in the car(he's about 6'4").

Just found this on CL:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/3067118347.html

Little new for my taste, but looks to be in good shape. I always loved the door side handbrake. Must add to the fun of getting in and out of the car.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Ah the 'Studemino'. Yes, that feeling in the back of your throat is vomit. It's a kit you can buy... specifically for an El Camino... that's it. Why a loving El Camino of all possible loving cars? I just don't know. I was exposed to this horror by the co-owner of the last shop I worked at. He wasn't quite as delusional on it's market value though. But I did almost fall over laughing when he tried to sell it at Good Guys for $18k.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Negromancer posted:

I always loved the door side handbrake. Must add to the fun of getting in and out of the car.

Have you owned a reasonably low to the ground spots car? You kinda shuffle in with your right foot leading until you can plant it, sit down, and then bring in your left foot. Even when on, that handbrake isn't in the way of that procedure.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Some of you may remember a while ago, I posted pictures of my friend Bill's 635hp Prelude in the AIest images thread; well now he has it for sale, and he is asking $13k for it. It makes 430whp on pump gas and 635whp on race gas. It's got a full interior, and the body is all stock - not riced out at all. From personal experience, this is a super clean and reliable monster-powered FWD car.

Pictures:

Here's a link to his hondamarketplace ad, with contact information. It's located in State College, PA.

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=3027523&highlight=turbolude97

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 12, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

No matter how low the price, I can't think of it as a deal:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/3088023379.html
Still tempting, though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Some of you may remember a while ago, I posted pictures of my friend Bill's 635hp Prelude in the AIest images thread; well now he has it for sale, and he is asking $13k for it. It makes 430whp on pump gas and 635whp on race gas. It's got a full interior, and the body is all stock - not riced out at all. From personal experience, this is a super clean and reliable monster-powered FWD car.

Pictures:

635hp? I don't see it, what's so sp...holy poo poo look at that turbo.

I like how it's all stickered up...but only under the hood.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Still tempting, though.

God, it's so good looking though. If I had money I'd consider buying it just to park and admire.

(Not that I'd have a choice in parking it, of course)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CornHolio posted:

God, it's so good looking though. If I had money I'd consider buying it just to park and admire.

(Not that I'd have a choice in parking it, of course)

I want one very badly to thrash to pieces.

The plan? Race that v12 until it explodes (so like once)

then turn the block into a coffee table. (yes, the idea was shamelessly stolen from Top Gear.)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Posted also in YOU DID WHAT?!

Took me a while to realize this was the door, looks like a modern art painting.

Strapped by the RIMZ

Dude wants 3k for it.

quote:

Selling a 1996 Dodge Avenger!
Has Air Ride Suspension
Lambo Doors
Has $4000.00 or more in parts!..new aftermarket clutch.....and so on.....
yes it has 230,000 miles on it.....but this one of the best motors made!..and not everything is stock on motor and trans!...BTW Manual Transmission!
has Brand new tires!
18" Chrome Rims
Has Single Coat of Primer!
All Body work has recently been done meaning: no dents or dings and so on! this can be a show vehicle with a lil work!
Custom Door Panels and speakers in doors upgraded to JL :)
Nice Alarm system! with shock system activated...meaning if anyone pulls on anything it will activate and alarm will sound! Very Loud! Ppl wont steal ur poo poo lol
Also car has New Battery!
Just got new windshield on car!!! Cost me $250.00
needs paint job finished! but wont be bad since body work and primer is on car
have a 10 switch box in car...um...im sure im forgetting something....but yea...car would be great when finished! and show quality!

any ?'s ill be sure to answer with the best of my knowledge...but im not the one who did most of the work..so im not 100% sure on everything!

asking $3000.00 for the car! really not a bad price for all the money and time put into it and the parts! tires alone were 800 and rims 1000 or so..

May Accept Trades......Civic.....Bmw...and a few others

NO LOW BALLERS PLEASE,,,I HAVE ALOT MORE PICS IF INTERESTED...

just had the car at a car show on July 8th 2012
http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/3101680367.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

At a car show. Goddamn.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Motronic posted:

Have you owned a reasonably low to the ground spots car? You kinda shuffle in with your right foot leading until you can plant it, sit down, and then bring in your left foot. Even when on, that handbrake isn't in the way of that procedure.

oyea, I know. I have owned 4 aw11 mr2's and a miata, so I know the procedure for getting in and out of low small sports cars. It just seems like you would kick the e-brake handle every time you got in or out.

Speaking of mr2's, this monstrosity has been on the local craigslist for a while now:

BEAUTIFUL CUSTOM SLEEPY EYE '92 TURBO MR2 - OBO - $5800 (Seattle area)

Look at this sweet custom interior

Not a bad car overall, but the horrible interior, ugly wheels and stupid headlights really ruin the thing.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

kimbo305 posted:

Still tempting, though.

Here's ours in its natural habitat:

Run.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

thecobra posted:

Run.

I've mentioned it before but I knew a guy that owned several Ferraris, a couple of them from the 80s an sighted his son's XJS 12 as the most unreliable and aggravating car he had ever dealt with.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

thecobra posted:

Run.

One plenum and intake manifold per bank, plus a long overly complex cam and lever setup for opening the throttle bodies?

WHERE DO I SIGN? :haw:

It's almost like they designed it to jam...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It took me entirely too long to even see where the throttle bodies were. I thought the '79 280ZX was a nightmare...

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
loving hell, I have never seen an engine bay like that. The engine removal procedure is probably horrendous too. What's the underside like?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Preoptopus posted:

Posted also in YOU DID WHAT?!

Took me a while to realize this was the door, looks like a modern art painting.

Strapped by the RIMZ

Dude wants 3k for it.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/3101680367.html

To be fair, I used to have a 5-speed Avenger and I literally never had to do any kind of maintenance besides oil changes to it in the 2 years I owned it. It was decent in the snow as well.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
This is fantastic.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/3123538653.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

IOwnCalculus posted:

It took me entirely too long to even see where the throttle bodies were. I thought the '79 280ZX was a nightmare...
Buddy, a 280ZX is a dream to work on. The Z31 is when they started to get fun!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

then turn the block into a coffee table. (yes, the idea was shamelessly stolen from Top Gear.)

So I am not the only one who wants a engine block coffee table....

I saw a Jag around my parts for cheap... Oh it looks so tempting. I was discussing with motronic how it couldn't be any worse than owning a Range Rover. But this has a strait 6 instead of the 12.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

So I am not the only one who wants a engine block coffee table....

I think everyone in AI wants an engine block coffee table...

mr_bunnyfish
Feb 6, 2012

Joe Mama posted:

Ah the 'Studemino'. Yes, that feeling in the back of your throat is vomit. It's a kit you can buy... specifically for an El Camino... that's it. Why a loving El Camino of all possible loving cars? I just don't know. I was exposed to this horror by the co-owner of the last shop I worked at. He wasn't quite as delusional on it's market value though. But I did almost fall over laughing when he tried to sell it at Good Guys for $18k.
Wow, I didn't know that. I sat there wondering how anyone could have ever thought to do that for a good six minutes. It completely boggles my mind that someone thought that it was a good idea to sell a Studebaker body kit compatible with anything.

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

kimbo305 posted:

Still tempting, though.

Noticed this one yesterday:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/3127379460.html
$850 DOES NOT RUN, RAN WHEN PARKED

heyou fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 13, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Gonna just repost this from a few months ago.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

124K on a Jag v12?

Im-loving-possible.

The previous owner must have died penniless and insane keeping that thing going.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

heyou posted:

I hate you for posting this. This is near me.
OH GODDDDDDDD IT'S STARTING AGAINNNNN. Urge to craigslist... IRRESISTIBLE!

Mighty Horse posted:

124K on a Jag v12?

Im-loving-possible.

The previous owner must have died penniless and insane keeping that thing going.

nah, it just got towed everywhere rear wheels down.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Some of you may remember a while ago, I posted pictures of my friend Bill's 635hp Prelude in the AIest images thread; well now he has it for sale, and he is asking $13k for it. It makes 430whp on pump gas and 635whp on race gas.

How bad does this thing torque steer? Is it even driveable?

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

heyou posted:

Le FU Darn it for not being closer!

Kolta fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 13, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
^^^ This isn't reddit.

Real gold?

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
What's a reddit? and nice Camry.

Kolta fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 13, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
A place where stupid memes like le FUUUUUUUUU get used a lot.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

rscott posted:

A place where stupid memes like le FUUUUUUUUU get used a lot.

I thought it was the "Le".

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

rscott posted:

^^^ This isn't reddit.

Real gold?

Could be. The price is certainly right if it doesn't need a lot of work.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

DrPain posted:

Could be. The price is certainly right if it doesn't need a lot of work.

The paint is kind of poo poo, but the body looks straight and rust free. I think I'm going to see what kind of maintenance records it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

rscott posted:

The paint is kind of poo poo, but the body looks straight and rust free. I think I'm going to see what kind of maintenance records it has.

Aside from normal used car poo poo, see if it's been converted to R-134A.