Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wdarkk posted:

What, did they find a cache of spare parts somewhere? Or is 3-D printing going to insane new levels?

Balsa prices just skyrocketed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

wdarkk posted:

What, did they find a cache of spare parts somewhere? Or is 3-D printing going to insane new levels?

Dude, you can print food with those things.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

wdarkk posted:

Even if every replacement part has to be cut/machined/etc by hand, you're probably still coming out ahead so long as something with a serial number survived that crash.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Have we reached the point that these birds are now so priceless that regardless the cost, they'll be repaired?

On one hand, that makes me happy.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

A better question is, have we reached a point where enough parts have CAD drawings that we can feed metal into a machine and it will spit out the parts? Because I am totally down with reopening production.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Advent Horizon posted:

A better question is, have we reached a point where enough parts have CAD drawings that we can feed metal into a machine and it will spit out the parts? Because I am totally down with reopening production.

I'd love to see something like the P-51 retooled into a light CAS platform with modern avionics and poo poo. Even if it was a one-off, it would be wunderbar.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Piper tried that.

It looked pretty awesome as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HeyEng posted:

I'd love to see something like the P-51 retooled into a light CAS platform with modern avionics and poo poo. Even if it was a one-off, it would be wunderbar.

With a little more updating, you'd end up with a Super Tucano.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

Chiwie posted:

Piper tried that.

It looked pretty awesome as well.

Well, there's the solution to the Super Tucano vs AT-6 standoff. Just bring this puppy back with a 2-seat cockpit and modern avionics, and a formal proposal consisting of two words: "MUSTANGS, BITCH."

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Does anyone have desktop-sized professional shots of the Bugatti racer, preferably 2560x1600? GIS isn't turning up anything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Beerios posted:

Well, there's the solution to the Super Tucano vs AT-6 standoff. Just bring this puppy back with a 2-seat cockpit and modern avionics, and a formal proposal consisting of two words: "MUSTANGS, BITCH."

I would buy it. That is sexy as hell.

EDIT: I've seen it all now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Skyfox

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 10, 2012

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Breakfast All Day posted:

Does anyone have desktop-sized professional shots of the Bugatti racer, preferably 2560x1600? GIS isn't turning up anything.

You might try e-mailing both the EAA museum, and the Bugatti 100p replica guys.

There are some official EAA pictures from when they had it out of the museum in front of the Pitcairn hangar that are pretty nice, but I've not seen them at full res. Post if you get them.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

HeyEng posted:

gently caress that, bring back Skyraiders.

Or an F82 somehow.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

gently caress that, bring back Skyraiders.

Or an F82 somehow.

RETRO USAF would be amazing. Super updated F-4 Phantoms and poo poo. :fap:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Advent Horizon posted:

For the B-17? Most of those drawings aren't even digitized. And, most of the original drawings are done with the expectation that small parts will be hand-fitted. Even major stuff was done with an attitude that we'd consider unacceptably sloppy today - for instance, the 307 Stratoliner in Udvar-Hazy (which shares a lot of parts with the B-17) was built with an extra wing rib on one side. It's not just that we're not making the parts any more; production was fundamentally very different back then.

Even if you had a friendly wizard give you full set of CAD models for every B-17 part, and a magic program that could turn 3D models into CNC/3D printer programs without any human intervention, you'd have to do a lot more work than just bolting the pile of resulting parts together.

HeyEng posted:

Well, if that's what you're after, there's one air force out there who has Phantoms and no annoying post-1980 US aircraft cluttering up their inventory. Hell, if you can find some F-14 parts nobody's using, they'd probably even give you a ride!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

drat, man, you're a buzzkill. You don't have to be so mean about it :(

Assuming you took the time to draw up a perfect CAD B-17 and fed that into a CNC mill, the parts would already be built to much better tolerances than stock. You'd have better cast metal, better forged billets and you wouldn't have some random person who couldn't fight doing it all by hand.

That's even before you take into account the ability to make much larger and complex pieces from one perfect chunk of metal and have it welded together by a computer before x-raying the weld to make sure it's perfect and won't fail.

Would it be expensive? Of course. But imagine a world where rich guys buy one of those for their private plane just for the cool factor!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

CommieGIR posted:

I would buy it. That is sexy as hell.

EDIT: I've seen it all now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Skyfox

Have you seen this?

Burt Rutan's CAS design.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I really need to get my private pilots license.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Advent Horizon posted:

drat, man, you're a buzzkill. You don't have to be so mean about it :(

Assuming you took the time to draw up a perfect CAD B-17 and fed that into a CNC mill, the parts would already be built to much better tolerances than stock. You'd have better cast metal, better forged billets and you wouldn't have some random person who couldn't fight doing it all by hand.

That's even before you take into account the ability to make much larger and complex pieces from one perfect chunk of metal and have it welded together by a computer before x-raying the weld to make sure it's perfect and won't fail.

Would it be expensive? Of course. But imagine a world where rich guys buy one of those for their private plane just for the cool factor!

At this point, you're not building a B-17 from the original design, you're designing and building a new plane that just happens to look very much like a famous WWII bomber. And, as cool as that would be in rich-guy-financed fantasyland, it's not really practical for a restoration job, even a "cut serial number out, weld onto new airplane" project like what's almost certainly going to happen with the Liberty Belle.

(also, if you wanted a really badass private plane, the B-29 would be so much better - pressurized comfort, plenty of elbow room, and a panoramic front view!)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Space Gopher posted:

(also, if you wanted a really badass private plane, the B-29 would be so much better - pressurized comfort, plenty of elbow room, and a panoramic front view!)

Hopefully the tendency for oil fires is diminished.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Uhm I'm sorry but gently caress that. I'll roll with a C-130 in my fantasy rich man world.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

That's a good point. It's hard to hold a barbeque in a bomber.

I know of a C-123 for sale, though...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HeyEng posted:

Uhm I'm sorry but gently caress that. I'll roll with a C-130 in my fantasy rich man world.

I can agree to that. I always wanted to fly one while whistling duck tales for some reason...

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Advent Horizon posted:

Which is why I'm mildly surprised somebody hasn't taken a crack at full-on reproductions of a Mustang/Bearcat/Spitfire. There's got to be enough rich guys and airshow circuits to make it viable. The Super Tucano also looks so much like a continuation of the Mustang's design I do wonder how much the Embraer guys cribbed its design...

Speaking of the Super Tucano, any idea how much a non-weaponized version could be bought for?

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 11, 2012

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

EnergizerFellow posted:

Which is why I'm mildly surprised somebody hasn't taken a crack at full-on reproductions of a Mustang/Bearcat/Spitfire.

Seen these? Part for part remakes of the ME-262 (better engines).

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html

Haven't heard anything on them lately. Apparently a 2.5 million dollar nazi jet is hard to sell.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HeyEng posted:

I doubt the C-130's safety record is that much better than the B-29. I'd rather lose an engine than deal with the wing box problems.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Space Gopher posted:

At this point, you're not building a B-17 from the original design, you're designing and building a new plane that just happens to look very much like a famous WWII bomber. And, as cool as that would be in rich-guy-financed fantasyland, it's not really practical for a restoration job, even a "cut serial number out, weld onto new airplane" project like what's almost certainly going to happen with the Liberty Belle.

If you're going to do that you might as well go the whole hog and do a B-36.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

There's some P-51-Like kit planes out there. I saw a few at the local airfield once. They're a bit small, though, and therefore smaller in performance.
http://www.thundermustang.com/
http://www.titanaircraft.com/t-51d.php
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/kitspages/mustang.php

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Slo-Tek posted:

Seen these? Part for part remakes of the ME-262 (better engines).

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html

Haven't heard anything on them lately. Apparently a 2.5 million dollar nazi jet is hard to sell.

They only ever planned to make a few and they finished in 2009.

Next?

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
Fancy a real P-51 renamed with all the good stuff?

Check out the AP-51 Palomino

http://www.flugwerk.de/html/page.php?GID=20&SID=5

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

DiscoDickTease posted:

Fancy a real P-51 renamed with all the good stuff?

Check out the AP-51 Palomino

http://www.flugwerk.de/html/page.php?GID=20&SID=5

HeyEng posted:

We did this a while ago for the Air National Guard: http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/ms2/features/111012-at-6c-a-lethal-weapon-too.html

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

If any of you aren't subscribed to airboyd.tv's YouTube account, he's got a pile of videos from the Farnborough Air Show, which is on right now. Check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/airboyd?feature=watch

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I smell the greatest goon project ever cooking in this thread.

...I'll run the wiki.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

We'll be able to land it on the aircraft carrier!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Advent Horizon posted:

I know of a C-123 for sale, though...

"Scrub out the Agent Orange residue, and she's all yours!"

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Just developed some film that I took while at the museum. Probably will have 1 or two more shots after this.

img038.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Does anyone want some free model planes?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/zip/3131660956.html

I'll pick them up if you pay for shipping.
Disregard if ad is down.

PM me please.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EnergizerFellow posted:

Which is why I'm mildly surprised somebody hasn't taken a crack at full-on reproductions of a Mustang/Bearcat/Spitfire. There's got to be enough rich guys and airshow circuits to make it viable.
Aren't actual rich guys the ones doing the Mustang restorations already?

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
I finally made it out to Blackbird Airpark in Palmdale, CA. It was 100 degrees F and a super hot wind was blowing, the opposite of wind chill factor.

Google Maps showed an F-117 on site, turns out I missed it by 2 weeks. There are only 2 on display anywhere - all the radar absorbing surfaces have to be removed and replaced with sheet metal before they can be shown. It was 'taken in for refurbishing', which I interpret as 'oh gently caress we forgot to remove some radar absorbing lug nuts and we dance badly with a four star up our asses'. There are photos of it on the Airpark's web site.

This was underneath the A-12. I am guessing it is part of what moves the rudders.

The neighboring park is also very nice.

The tail of the F-14, with the arresting hook, and a tube that appears to dispense delicious nougat.

This is the lone B-52 F model, built with water injection for more power. Do I know how that works? Nope! It is a huge beast that blots out the sun.

A prototype Scaled Composites bizjet.

Hot radial engine: posted. This is a Guiberson A/T 1020 diesel.

Over the fence, one of the space shuttle 747's, possibly being prepped for storage out in the Mojave desert. I suggest that it become the new Vomit Comet and they sell rides to us scrubs, because funding makes those birds go up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Schindler's Fist posted:

Over the fence, one of the space shuttle 747's, possibly being prepped for storage out in the Mojave desert. I suggest that it become the new Vomit Comet and they sell rides to us scrubs, because funding makes those birds go up!
And down a bit. And back up again. And back down a bit. And back up.