Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

90% perfect. The only trouble I ever have is occasionally when I uninstall an extension and it gets reinstalled because another device has it.
Are your open browser tabs the same on all devices, or are you just free to view and open those on other devices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ufarn posted:

Are your open browser tabs the same on all devices, or are you just free to view and open those on other devices?

Free to view and open on other devices.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but it's the closest thread I can find. Just a heads-up, this problem happens to me with both Chrome AND IE, so take that for what it's worth.

Approximately four days ago, Youtube started not playing videos in HD. 360p was fine, but if I tried to notch up the quality it told me "An error has occurred. Please try again later". I figured Youtube was having an outage or something. Two days later, I couldn't watch Youtube videos at all.

I have Avast free antivirus, and tried turning it off and watching a video, but that didn't work either. I can watch flash videos from other sites (such as Vimeo and Giant Bomb) without any difficulties.

Does anybody know what is causing the issue and what the potential fix is? Thanks for your help.

edit: Un-unstalled Flash and Chrome, and re-installed both. Now I can get Youtube in IE, but Chrome is still broken.

TK_421 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 3, 2012

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Has anyone else started having any problems with searching through the address bar? Every time it loads up briefly with the top navigation bar for google and the text in the search form, then just goes completely blank. It's really annoying

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

screaden posted:

Has anyone else started having any problems with searching through the address bar? Every time it loads up briefly with the top navigation bar for google and the text in the search form, then just goes completely blank. It's really annoying
Same thing happening to me. I don't know how to fix it but I can tell you installing an older version didn't help.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Pertplus posted:

Same thing happening to me. I don't know how to fix it but I can tell you installing an older version didn't help.

Did a quick roundabout google search and other people are reporting the same problem, apparently a quick fix is to just add the google search engine again under a different name and use that as the default

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

screaden posted:

Did a quick roundabout google search and other people are reporting the same problem, apparently a quick fix is to just add the google search engine again under a different name and use that as the default
Wow, that makes the problem seem even more odd. It works though, so thanks for the tip.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Unrelated, but I've also recently been having trouble with keyboard responsiveness in the search bar. Like, I'll hit command-T to open a new tab and start typing a URL or shortcut, and it'll miss some of the first few characters I type. It's getting really irritating.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ryan_woody posted:

I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but it's the closest thread I can find. Just a heads-up, this problem happens to me with both Chrome AND IE, so take that for what it's worth.

Approximately four days ago, Youtube started not playing videos in HD. 360p was fine, but if I tried to notch up the quality it told me "An error has occurred. Please try again later". I figured Youtube was having an outage or something. Two days later, I couldn't watch Youtube videos at all.

I have Avast free antivirus, and tried turning it off and watching a video, but that didn't work either. I can watch flash videos from other sites (such as Vimeo and Giant Bomb) without any difficulties.

Does anybody know what is causing the issue and what the potential fix is? Thanks for your help.

edit: Un-unstalled Flash and Chrome, and re-installed both. Now I can get Youtube in IE, but Chrome is still broken.

Had similiar happen while loaded up in the latest Debian. I didn't bother meddling with anything and stuff magically fixed itself.. :regd11:

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
Just had to uninstall Adblock on my Canary install @ work, was sorely slowing down my browsing and may have been the problem behind the forums periodically not loading and me needing to refresh. Anyone else seeing that problem?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LoSesMC posted:

Just had to uninstall Adblock on my Canary install @ work, was sorely slowing down my browsing and may have been the problem behind the forums periodically not loading and me needing to refresh. Anyone else seeing that problem?
Adblock or adblock plus? I've heard of similar issues with the former, and the latter is supposed to be much better (using it myself with no issues regarding performance).

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

LoSesMC posted:

The nature of Canary is that it is buggy. Basically no QA at all and possible wild changes in API for extensions or whatever. It's not meant to be a daily browser. Whatever fix or resolution you might get for this may be very ephemeral.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
It was just Adblock, though I had switched from Plus because it wasn't updating the filters. Of course, as crazysim reminded me it's Canary which has run great for so long that I tend to forget.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone else having issues with Chrome and The Daily Show and The Colbert Nation websites? Both of those leave a huge blank part in the top part of the site which requires me to scroll way down to see the actual site every time. I tried disabling AdBlock but that didn't help.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Anyone else having issues with Chrome and The Daily Show and The Colbert Nation websites? Both of those leave a huge blank part in the top part of the site which requires me to scroll way down to see the actual site every time. I tried disabling AdBlock but that didn't help.
That sounds like an ad-blocker that isn't removing the HTML container of the removed ad. If you are running AdBlocker, try to update its filter.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ufarn posted:

That sounds like an ad-blocker that isn't removing the HTML container of the removed ad. If you are running AdBlocker, try to update its filter.
Updated the filters, didn't work. I don't think AdBlock is the problem since I tried disabling it already, and even putting The Daily Show site on the list of sites where ads won't be block does nothing.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Until this morning Chrome Beta was working fine. Now, when I try to visit any Google-related site or Facebook, I get:

quote:

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): The connection was reset.
Is anyone else having this issue? What's weird is that only Chrome is having the problem. When I try to access those same sites in IE, they load fine. On top of that, I can access the SA forums just fine in Chrome, and in fact I'm posting from it now. It makes no sense. :(

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys

Karthe posted:

Until this morning Chrome Beta was working fine. Now, when I try to visit any Google-related site or Facebook, I get:

Is anyone else having this issue? What's weird is that only Chrome is having the problem. When I try to access those same sites in IE, they load fine. On top of that, I can access the SA forums just fine in Chrome, and in fact I'm posting from it now. It makes no sense. :(
Have you disabled all your extensions and turned off all your flags in chrome://flags ? What version are you on?

(Can we put the preceding two sentences in big, red letters at the top of the OP? Not saying this will definitely solve your problem, Karthe, but it should be the first thing you check.)

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Magicmat posted:

Have you disabled all your extensions and turned off all your flags in chrome://flags ? What version are you on?

(Can we put the preceding two sentences in big, red letters at the top of the OP? Not saying this will definitely solve your problem, Karthe, but it should be the first thing you check.)
I'm no stranger to Chrome so those were some of the first things I checked. I even went as far as blowing out my profile and letting Chrome start over with a clean slate but the problem remained.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Try stable? I don't get stuff earlier but I care more about not having poo poo randomly break for me.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
My laptop's been experiencing other weird issues lately, so I'm reimaging it in the hopes that these problems go away. With luck Chrome will get sorted out at the same time. v:shobon:v

Edit: Welp, I reinstalled Windows yesterday and Chrome worked fine, but now this morning it's doing the exact same thing as yesterday. :suicide:

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 11, 2012

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Do you keep installing the beta build?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

Do you keep installing the beta build?
Yes, but I also uninstalled and tried two other times with Dev and Canary. I'm back on the Beta build at the moment. Are you suggesting I install standard Release version?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Karthe posted:

Are you suggesting I install standard Release version?

kri kri posted:

Try stable?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Here's some things to try, in order of difficulty if you still have problems on stable:

Disable SPDY.

Disable pipelining.

Run Chromium. Can you reproduce the problem?

Allow Chrome explicitly through firewall.

Run wireshark and just observe for strange packets in connections. Do these still happen in IE? What about Chrome using IE's user agent?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

crazysim posted:

Disable SPDY.
You know, I had an inkling it was somehow related to this. You were right, disabling SPDY fixed the problem. That explains why it impacted Google's services, but I have no idea why Facebook would be affected as well...I guess this means they support SPDY?

And if nothing's changed on my end network- or computer-wise, what could that imply? I'm going to guess that some of the tweaks to SPDY introduced in the recent Beta release on Monday were to blame, but beyond that I have no idea.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kri kri posted:

Try stable? I don't get stuff earlier but I care more about not having poo poo randomly break for me.

Quoting this but not picking on you specifically.

I'm getting kind of tired of this holier than though attitude from a lot of people that assume that those of us running beta or dev are expecting a flawless experience. We're not. But this is a place to talk about Chrome. So if Chrome is being weird, I'll probably post about it here. Not because I'm upset at the developers for making it not work, but because I want to know if anybody else has had this problem and if so, if they were able to do anything about it.

If you want to run stable because you don't want to deal with this stuff, that's perfectly acceptable, just don't assume that we all have the same expectations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I feel like Chrome has reached the point where the stable version is the best one to use for the average and even power user. Features come out in a timely fashion and the only thing I can think that has happened is the flash bug that was crashing youtube and that was fixed within a couple days I think.

I don't know where the attitude is, I was only trying to help.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well the attitude comes when you suggest people move to stable. Nobody is running dev or beta but isn't aware of stable, so I'm not sure what the point is in even bringing it up.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
After years of firefox I am going to attempt to migrate to Chrome. Flash seems to be having unusual behaviors with the FF 13 (nothing major, just annoying) and I have never really tried to switch to Chrome before. I also really like the search/address bar combined.

However, there are a few things I miss about Firefox that I would really like to implement in Chrome.

First, I miss having a home button. I liked being able to go to iGoogle (yes, I know it's being shutdown next year) to see a small sample of my e-mail (who it's from and subject so I can decide if it's spam or not), see weather, and get movie show times. Can I add all this to Chrome somehow?

The other issue I have is the downloads, can I get a normal progress bar back and a percentage? Also, when I first started my download, it came up in a status bar at the bottom of the window, I then chose to open it as a tab to see more detail, but I guess I cant get it back as a status bar now?

Also, I really miss Firefox's dynamic forward button and the big orange Firefox button/menu they implemented in recent versions.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Colonel Sanders posted:

First, I miss having a home button. I liked being able to go to iGoogle (yes, I know it's being shutdown next year) to see a small sample of my e-mail (who it's from and subject so I can decide if it's spam or not), see weather, and get movie show times. Can I add all this to Chrome somehow?

Wrench -> settings -> Appearance/show the home button

Colonel Sanders posted:

The other issue I have is the downloads, can I get a normal progress bar back and a percentage? Also, when I first started my download, it came up in a status bar at the bottom of the window, I then chose to open it as a tab to see more detail, but I guess I cant get it back as a status bar now?

You can hit ctrl+j and see the progress better (and go to chrome://flags and enable hiding download shelf)

Colonel Sanders posted:

Also, I really miss Firefox's dynamic forward button and the big orange Firefox button/menu they implemented in recent versions.

dunno on this one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Colonel Sanders posted:

After years of firefox I am going to attempt to migrate to Chrome. Flash seems to be having unusual behaviors with the FF 13 (nothing major, just annoying) and I have never really tried to switch to Chrome before. I also really like the search/address bar combined.

However, there are a few things I miss about Firefox that I would really like to implement in Chrome.

You can enable the Home button in Chrome's settings, under "Appearance". As for the downloads... Yeah, Chrome handles them pretty badly, but once you close the bottom bar you can't get it back. You can, however, get an extension that puts a button next to the address bar that allows you to instantly access your downloads page.

E;fb

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I ran Chrome to Mobile and had it send a link to Chrome on my phone, but now I can't get rid of the link on my phone. It sits there mocking me. I can remove other devices but not the "Received from other devices" section. Anybody know how to do it?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Yaos posted:

I ran Chrome to Mobile and had it send a link to Chrome on my phone, but now I can't get rid of the link on my phone. It sits there mocking me. I can remove other devices but not the "Received from other devices" section. Anybody know how to do it?

If it's an iPhone/iPad, you can press and hold a link and it should pop up a Remove button.

Remove all the links and the section disappears.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Thwomp posted:

If it's an iPhone/iPad, you can press and hold a link and it should pop up a Remove button.

Remove all the links and the section disappears.
My other devices have that option when I hold down on them, the "received from other devices" does not. I was able to fix it though, I had to re-install Chrome.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I had the same thing happen - you can easily get around this by just opening the link in a new desktop tab, and then waiting a few seconds for it to sync and appear in the 'open tabs' list on your phone.

It's not as elegant as using the Chrome to Mobile extension, but when open tabs are synced both ways, why bother?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Has anyone compared Adblock Plus to AdBlock? I just switched to AdBlock on a whim and it feels like it's faster and uses less ram with the same tabs open.

Lately my old MBP has been chugging a bit with Chrome after a while, so I'll report back if this seems to fix things.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I switched to Adblock since ABP hadn't updated the filters in like 4 months and it seems fine, I haven't noticed any difference really.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Has anyone got the "3 finger down swipe to show open tabs" thing to work? I've got it on but nothing happens...It would be so useful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something original
Sep 9, 2011

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

I just switched to AdBlock on a whim and it feels like it's faster and uses less ram with the same tabs open.
Same here. I also noticed it gets updated pretty frequently whereas ABP hasn't been updated for some time. I like that they included EasyPrivacy filter in the default filter list, it blocks all the tracker/stats scripts that suck up CPU power and bandwidth and therefore speeds up browsing, especially on popular sites that are full of that kind of stuff.