Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Takanoyama seems doomed to spend his career bouncing between juryo and makuuchi.

Guess that's better than never making makuuchi at all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Anime Reference posted:

Takanoyama seems doomed to spend his career bouncing between juryo and makuuchi.

Guess that's better than never making makuuchi at all though.

maybe he'll finally get the hang of makuuchi at some point. i hope he does.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

a false posted:

maybe he'll finally get the hang of makuuchi at some point. i hope he does.

I hope so as well. I'm cooking up a scheme to try and meet him and a couple other lower ranked makuuchi when I go to the New Year's basho. I would really love to hear his take on wrestling sumo as an incredibly fit and strong but lightweight wrestler in a land of giants.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Pvt. Public posted:

I would really love to hear his take on wrestling sumo as an incredibly fit and strong but lightweight wrestler in a land of giants.
It's weird to think of a 6'1" 220lb guy as too small for his sport.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Anime Reference posted:

It's weird to think of a 6'1" 220lb guy as too small for his sport.

Keep in mind that Chiyonofuji was 97kg around the time he entered makuuchi and was around 115kg when he became yokozuna. I think Takanoyama has shown that he has the spirit and will to make it in makuuchi, he just has to work on his technique and bulking up. Of course it's just as likely that he flames out but that's kind of the way sumo is, it seems.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Day 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU7lZwOicKQ

There winner's name is incorrect on Toyohibiki/Takarafuji.

Masunoyama continues to do well, but any day now I'm expecting someone to henka the gently caress out of him. If they do, I expect the resulting impact may kill a bystander. Speaking of henka, it was hilarious seeing king henka fall for his own trick. Lastly, Hakuho is still being ... strange, to say the least.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
sure was some pretty lousy sumo today.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Has anyone ever seen a match where both wrestlers tried to henka and neither charged? I imagine it has to have happened at some point, and Id imagine its pretty funny/embarassing.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Day 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkzFU5x_kUQ

Sad to see a certain young rikishi lose his winning streak. Yoshikaze had quite a match today. Wha... what the gently caress did Takekaze just do? That has to be the most terrible hatakikomi attempt I've ever seen. Harumafuji's match was my favorite from tonight. I'm rooting for him this time. Normally I like to root for Baruto, but it's only day 6 and he's already standing straight up again. It's only a matter of time before he starts another losing streak unless he remembers to keep his center of gravity lower. Shohozan had a surprisingly decent match. Aoiyama is very powerful, but his matches against the ozeki show his relative inexperience.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
nooooooo my favorite :(

oh well, there was some really good sumo today. hakuho with a much more characteristic match, maybe he's feeling better. also, wish takanoyama found a different way to get his first win, but a win is a win i guess.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Day 7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsR0cjjEpCQ

Not too much to add to Kintamayama's commentary for today. It was another good day of matches, and things will probably only get better from here. As much as it would be nice if Hakuho did more matches like yesterday, today was nice just to see him give Wakakoyu a taste of his own medicine.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Glad to see that Daidou managed to avoid getting henka'd out of contention, and that was a good showing overall. What really baffles me though is how open Miyabiyama leaves himself, it's not as if Aran is going to pass up on an easy knockdown.

With regard to Takamisakari I'm afraid he's heading rapidly towards retirement. He's been floundering in Juryou for a year now, and has only gotten 2 wins yet after day 7. Add to that his age, 36, and I don't really see him continuing for long if he doesn't get a streak going for him soon.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
drat, daidou is a machine right now. going to be interesting to see how he fares when it comes time to face the ozekis. I really hope he manages to keep pace at least for a while. also, I agree with kintamayama, takanoyama definitely won that match. hard to believe they didn't even call a monoii

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

a false posted:

drat, daidou is a machine right now. going to be interesting to see how he fares when it comes time to face the ozekis. I really hope he manages to keep pace at least for a while. also, I agree with kintamayama, takanoyama definitely won that match. hard to believe they didn't even call a monoii

It looked to me like his heel was out of bounds before he finished the throw.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
If you watch it again the heel was out then came back in before the throw.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
didn't look like it touched down to me, but then again i was watching on a phone

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I don't think it touched down, having watched it in slow-mo on a much higher res TV broadcast. The announcers were a little skeptical, too.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
I see the heel touching and then he hops back in. I trust them more since they are right on top of it.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 15, 2012

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
both of those don't look like they're touching to me, but there's so much beige there it's really hard to tell for sure.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Day 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnmRk9vp9Pc

I'm just glad Takanoyama finally had a match worth watching.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i really think harumafuji is going to win. hakuho might be undefeated, but harumafuji has looked way stronger in most of his victories.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Harumafuji is looking quite strong indeed, literally going for the jugular like that. Reminds me of when Asashoryu was on top of his game. Day 9 should be interesting with him going up against Baruto.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Day 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKihiOadfU0

Lots of really short matches and a couple of good ones mixed in. My favorite matches of the night were Takanoyama/Yoshikaze, Tochinoshin/Homasho, and Hakuho/Goeido. Random comments: Miyabiyama's roll/bounce looked almost comical, and Gagamaru/Tamaasuka had one of the pansiest tachi-ai I've ever seen. Also, I'm starting to like Ikioi for some reason.

Takanoyama vs. Yoshikaze had a loving crazy match. As much as I favor Takanoyama, though, Yoshikaze was definitely the winner. You can't see it at the stream resolution, but on TV it was very clear that the edge of Takanoyama's foot brushed the dirt just outside the ring before they both went tumbling down.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
the takanoyama/yoshikaze result looked pretty clear to me, at least on the replay. also, tochinoshin/homasho was fantastic. probably my favorite match of this basho so far.

is it just me or is aran actually improving? he's been using real actual sumo techniques fairly effectively for most of this basho now.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

In the slow-mo replay it's clear that Toyonoshima stepped outside.

Harumafuji continues to do well, although the merry-go-round approach was a bit unusual. Hakuho still isn't very convincing, almost succumbing to Goeido's henka attempt like that.

As far as Aran is concerned, my guess is that he's wizened up with regard to his approach: if he keeps up winning and getting promoted by using cheap poo poo, he's only going to come up against the top guys against whom that won't work and so instead decided to go for more proper sumo techniques. However, regardless of the why, it pleases me to see this change.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
Man Harumafuji and Barutos match was disappointing, I really wish Baruto hadnt tripped so early on. This basho has been pretty good so far so its a minor complaint.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

uinfuirudo posted:

Man Harumafuji and Barutos match was disappointing, I really wish Baruto hadnt tripped so early on.
Earlier in the basho Kintamayama said the Nagoya ring's surface was notoriously slippery, I guess the Baruto and Hakuho matches were dramatic proof of that.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
So we all like Chiyotairyu because he's probably the gooniest rikishi, what with those sideburns, right?

His recent losses are really of no worry, I think. Once he gets more experience, I think he'll be great. He's not rising as fast as I thought or hoped he would, but he's definitely rising.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dr.Radical posted:

he's probably the gooniest rikishi, what with those sideburns, right?
He's still got a long way to go if he wants to compete with the glory that was Toki.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Day 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOyuIP8358I

I have never seen Takanoyama look that exhausted (with good reason). I like him and Yoshikaze as much as I do because they're both just drat spirited fighters and generally refuse to give up. Today is a good example of that. Also, I've been really impressed by Aran lately (though what was with that hilariously late matta?).

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
yeah, that matta in aran's match was bizarre. very impressed with his technique when they finally got going though.

kaisei continues to look very good, but the way harumafuji's going i don't see him staying in the mix until the end because of that early loss. i expect hakuho to lose pretty soon, it's pretty surprising he hasn't yet really.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm a complete newbie to sumo but I'd been meaning to get into it after a stay in Japan a few years ago. I've somewhat familiarized myself with a lot of the terms and the current contenders in the makuuchi division (thanks to this thread/you folks and Kintamayama's videos) and I've been following this basho pretty closely.

It'll be some time before I have any real idea what constitutes good and bad sumo techniques, but honestly, watching Takanoyama is immensely entertaining either way. I didn't think I'd ever see a sumo wrestler who I'd describe as "scrappy", but the man makes a great effort to use his opponent's size and weight against them, and I find myself rooting for him more than anyone else. It was great to see him pull a win against Sadanofuji.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
No video yet? Ruining my morning commute!

I'm looking forward to seeing some zabuton flying dammit!

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
At last, day 11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r--72WU5qk

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I don't know what "good" or "bad" sumo is either but I was drat well entertained today!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Seeing someone pick up about 170 kg worth of struggling opponent and dumping him outside the ring sure is.

Somewhat less entertaining is Kotooshu, who seems to be OK with just cruising along, doing well enough to stave of demotion but nothing more, just collecting his paycheck and sponsorship money. He might just be going for the record of most basho at ozeki or something, but even that would take another 5 years. :iiam:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Really enjoying this basho so far. A few major disappointments and a number of amazing matches. I would not be surprised if this comes down to a playoff between Haruma and Hakuho. I will be rooting for Harumafuji, of course, as I really would like to see someone make a run for yokozuna sometime soon. Since Baruto is a choke, Kotooshu is floating along like a turd in a sewer, and the rest of the Ozeki just haven't dominated at any point, it seems like Harumafuji looks like the one with the best shot. But being slightly older than Hakuho at 28, he's racing the biological clock at this point.

Poor Kyokutenho. I think it's a given that he retires after this basho... he probably should have after his yusho. Too bad he's going out at 0-15 at this rate, instead of as a tournament champion.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Day 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttosbWZhcE

Lots of comments today for some reason:

Really disagree with no mono-ii on Tochinoshin/Miyabiyama. Kyokutenho is really kind of pitiful right now. :( He was really enthusiastic about continuing even if he does poorly, but I don't know if he quite expected this. Moving on, I don't really 'get' Myogiryu... he's either awesome or slapstick comedy levels of bad, with no in-between. Lastly, I think those mattas really hosed up Baruto, since he usually doesn't fail quite that lamely.

I'm going to leave Harumafuji/Hakuho comments out of these posts, because poo poo is getting tense.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Realistically speaking, with the level of sumo he's displaying Harumafuji is the only ozeki that has a shot to make it to yokozuna. I don't think his age is the biggest hurdle that's going to keep him from getting there though, I just really doubt whether or not he'll be able to win two basho's in a row as long as Hakuho is around. Having said that, with his current form, this basho presents a golden opportunity to get at least that first win and if he has any serious ambitions towards promotion he really should seize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Just Winging It posted:

Realistically speaking, with the level of sumo he's displaying Harumafuji is the only ozeki that has a shot to make it to yokozuna. I don't think his age is the biggest hurdle that's going to keep him from getting there though, I just really doubt whether or not he'll be able to win two basho's in a row as long as Hakuho is around. Having said that, with his current form, this basho presents a golden opportunity to get at least that first win and if he has any serious ambitions towards promotion he really should seize it.

that's tough to say. baruto looked like a good candidate a few basho ago coming off his win and in terms of raw strength he's probably #1 among all current rikishi - he just needs to develop consistency. kakuryuu is still young, so something could potentially happen there too. with so much parity right now, it's really going to be hard for anyone to do it - consistency between tournaments is the key and hakuho is pretty much the only guy around who's displayed that.