Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
I bumped up the line-height to 135%. Hope that helps! (I finally learned some basic CSS for this project. None of my Web projects will ever win a prize for visual sophistication but at least it keeps me from cluttering things up with eight million social media buttons.)

Reposting the link for the top of the page:

"Overthinking Ghostbusters"
http://www.runleiarun.com/ghostbusters

^ That's right, it's here! Read, enjoy, love, share and write to the National Film Registry! Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm sorry, man, I can't read this. Your tone is a little too conversational. :(

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I don't know if there are any Utah goons in this thread, but Salt Lake Film Society will be showing GB (the original) sometime this summer as part of their Summer of 35MM at the Tower. I just checked the website but the schedule isn't up yet. https://www.saltlakefilmsociety.org if you want to keep checking back.

Gonna be watching this in the theatre again :dance:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Icon-Cat posted:

I bumped up the line-height to 135%. Hope that helps! (I finally learned some basic CSS for this project. None of my Web projects will ever win a prize for visual sophistication but at least it keeps me from cluttering things up with eight million social media buttons.)

^ That's right, it's here! Read, enjoy, love, share and write to the National Film Registry! Hooray!

That much better man. Thanks for taking my advice.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I don't know if there are any Utah goons in this thread, but Salt Lake Film Society will be showing GB (the original) sometime this summer as part of their Summer of 35MM at the Tower. I just checked the website but the schedule isn't up yet. https://www.saltlakefilmsociety.org if you want to keep checking back.

Gonna be watching this in the theatre again :dance:

Oh snap, I will definitely go to that. I was disappointed by the low-quality DVD version they showed in theaters last fall, and this will more than make up for that!

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Diabolik900 posted:

"Yes, it's true. This man is some sort of rodent. I'm not sure which."
I prefer the simple cut:

"...until the power grid was shut off."
"These men caused an explosion."
"Is this true?"
"Yes."
Peck then lunges at Venkman.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

HTJ posted:

I prefer the simple cut:

"...until the power grid was shut off."
"These men caused an explosion."
"Is this true?"
"Yes."
Peck then lunges at Venkman.

Wow. I've never seen that one. It makes way less sense than even the rodent version.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Icon-Cat posted:

Just finished reading the whole site. I utterly loved it and would definitely have bought the book had you gotten it out in print form.

Really insightful look at so many moments that really helped solidify why I regard the film as one of the few 'perfect movies'.

Thanks very much for taking the time to make it and more importantly, allow us to read what you'd done.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Icon-Cat posted:

It's here.

I'm not going to preface this with some huge song-and-dance. My silly old press release is posted below if you want.

This project would not have existed without this thread, so I hope you dig it. :) If ya do, pass the link on to a friend or whatnot, and — just as importantly — consider joining my campaign to get this important film inducted into the National Film Registry. (By "join my campaign" I mean "write an e-mail", ha ha. More info included within the project itself.)

I'm pleased with how this turned out and optimistic about its potential for the future. And if it turns out it only entertains overgrown nerds like us, well, that still wouldn't be so bad :D

It's Miller time!

EPCOT
Oct 24, 2010

Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow

Icon-Cat posted:

This is pretty neat. I've always enjoyed reading a critics analysis of deeper symbolism in a film.

I've just finished up the cinematography section, but seeing your picture of the terror dog just made me realize it's reveal in Dana's apartment seems to be a mirror of the Ecto-1's reveal; smoke, back-lighting, glowing eyes/lights, roaring. Instead of leaping out like Ecto-1 one, though it pulls Dana in. Plus in a way the terror dog is the vehicle that brings Gozer into the final battle, much as Ecto-1 is the vehicle that brings our heroes.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Cross-posting from GBS because it's appropriate, and I'm rather pleased with how it turned out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Cross-posting from GBS because it's appropriate, and I'm rather pleased with how it turned out.

What a lovely start up tone you must have...

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
So, per Variety, Etan Cohen has been brought in to replace Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky for the GB3 script writing job. not the worst choice (tropic thunder, idiocracy) and has produced for Sony before (MiBIII, despite its faults 600 mil worldwide).

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Soulwrangler posted:

So, per Variety, Etan Cohen has been brought in to replace Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky for the GB3 script writing job. not the worst choice (tropic thunder, idiocracy) and has produced for Sony before (MiBIII, despite its faults 600 mil worldwide).

Is it a good sign or a bad one?

On one hand, they're not chucking any old poo poo out the door. On the other... this never works well. I thought Murray officially bowing out had shitcanned the whole thing.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

echoplex posted:

Is it a good sign or a bad one?

On one hand, they're not chucking any old poo poo out the door. On the other... this never works well. I thought Murray officially bowing out had shitcanned the whole thing.

I don't think Murray ever officially opted out though. I keep seeing news reports that say he shredded the script, he never read the script, he'd never shred a script, he's friends with Aykroyd, he doesn't speak to them anymore, he hates the movie, he doesn't think about the movie. It's all over the map. According to this month old story Murray said "We'll try again."

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I thought the current status was that Murray's in if "the script is good" and that's one of the reasons for the rewrite. But it's Ghostbusters 3 so who loving knows at this point.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I really want aliens to be real to give Dan something else to do.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

echoplex posted:

He sells wines and vodkas. Keeps him busy, but not busy enough, I guess.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

echoplex posted:

I want Dan Aykroyd to travel the world in an Ecto-1 just driving slowly down every street with the lights and sirens going.

:neckbeard:

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Considering how much Ghostbusters ruled the world for most of the 80's, I'm amazed this wasn't what every single Ice Cream Truck wound up doing.
If you got to have one of those slimer facepops served to you by a guy in a jumpsuit in an Ecto-45678, you'd lose your poo poo as an 8 year-old.
Hell I might do that now.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

WeX Majors posted:

Considering how much Ghostbusters ruled the world for most of the 80's, I'm amazed this wasn't what every single Ice Cream Truck wound up doing.
If you got to have one of those slimer facepops served to you by a guy in a jumpsuit in an Ecto-45678, you'd lose your poo poo as an 8 year-old.
Hell I might do that now.

I'm pretty sure there are about a billion reasons that wouldn't be legal, but I'll be damned if that doesn't sound like a great idea.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Unfortunately, I don't think kids know who the Ghostbusters are these days. They'd probably all just start chanting for He-Man.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Zeeman posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think kids know who the Ghostbusters are these days. They'd probably all just start chanting for He-Man.

You'd be surprised. Two years ago, I went to Salem, MA for the Halloween festivities. In the spirit of Halloween, I dressed up in my Ghostbuster outfit. I had kids younger than 10 come up to me and ask me where my car was and why I wasn't wearing a proton pack.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Scroto Baggins posted:

You'd be surprised. Two years ago, I went to Salem, MA for the Halloween festivities. In the spirit of Halloween, I dressed up in my Ghostbuster outfit. I had kids younger than 10 come up to me and ask me where my car was and why I wasn't wearing a proton pack.

Those are both very valid questions :colbert:

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Since this thread's back, I might as well post-mortem my book that ended up as "Overthinking Ghostbusters".

I wish I could tell you that it caught fire on the Web and millions of people clicked it and it brought Ghostbusters into new and fantastic critical heights. I wish I could tell you that I proved to the world how great Ghostbusters is and a million people wrote to the National Film Registry etc. etc. etc.

Alas.

The most love I ever got from the press was a moment in the sun on MetaFilter and a couple of shout-outs in "here's a bunch of links this week you might have missed"-type posts.

I realize now why it didn't, and _couldn't_, go viral the way my "Two Gentlemen of Lebowski" did. TGOL may have been long, but people didn't wait to read it and then share it. If you read the first four lines, you knew everything you needed to know to (if you were so inclined) share the link on Facebook etc. etc. etc. This project, people actually would need to spend time with, like a real book. That no doubt drove people away. Even Ghostbusters fans on forums (Ghostbusters sites, not CineD-type sites) and whatnot never took to it.

Maybe one day BuzzFeed will come by and summarize all my most important points into "Ten Things You Didn't Know About Ghostbusters". That's what the Web is good for. I guess the publishing industry was right to reject me. Not enough people like reading long serious stuff about movies. What a shame.

(Mostly I'm sad as a consumer, as I myself like reading long serious stuff about movies.)

That said, I have absolutely no regrets. I am happier to have put it out there for its tiny little audience, than to have sat on it, or to have not written it at all.

Tomorrow I am showing my agent an incredibly rough proposal for a brand-new book. A funny book this time, with a lot of pop culture stuff (not just movies). It's so, so rough, this proposal… the sample chapters in particular are a mess. It's nothing submittable yet. It's just an idea. A pile of garbage with, hopefully, a book inside.

Print ain't dead yet. :)

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

If it's any consolation, the first time I saw the link to your site was when it was shared by the Louisiana Ghostbusters costuming and charity group on Facebook. It had quite a few likes and comments.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Icon-Cat posted:

Even Ghostbusters fans on forums (Ghostbusters sites, not CineD-type sites) and whatnot never took to it.

Those people are only interested in playing dress-up and co-opting the characters for themselves; they've no interest in analysis.

I love the site, found it very informative and it's a shame it never made print because we are missing a good retrospective book, as so many other films now have. I'd love for the film to be appreciated at a greater depth than it is, but these days it's a Saturday afternoon TV film, and it's resurgence in popularity has to been to sell toys and videogames rather than really appreciate the film.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I really enjoyed what I read. Honestly, I would have been inclined to read more if it were in book (or some tablet reader) form. It was a lot to take in on a single website, but every so often I go back and pick up where I left off. I loved the section where you talk about how all the shots are framed.

plainswalker75 posted:

Those are both very valid questions :colbert:

The Ecto-1 was in the parking garage and the pack is in the car. Obviously.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Just to make you all jealous, I'm going to see GB next weekend on the big screen from a 35mm print, not a projected video.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Just to make you all jealous, I'm going to see GB next weekend on the big screen from a 35mm print, not a projected video.

Are you a fellow Utah goon? I was gearing up for it but I'm going to be in Portland that weekend. drat my poor planning! That DVD-quality release last fall was such a disappointment.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MokBa posted:

Are you a fellow Utah goon? I was gearing up for it but I'm going to be in Portland that weekend. drat my poor planning! That DVD-quality release last fall was such a disappointment.
Yep. Bless SLFS. Maybe you can still make Robocop :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Everything was fine with my day until this post was made by dickless here.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yep. Bless SLFS. Maybe you can still make Robocop :v:

Robocop is good and all, but it's no Ghostbusters. GB was the only one of the 35mm summer films I was really looking forward to seeing. :( At least there's still Miyazaki coming up.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Everything was fine with my day until this post was made by dickless here.

Is this true?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Is this true?

Yes, It's true. This man has no dick.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yes, It's true. This man has no dick.

While he's at the showing, I'm gonna send him a nice fruit basket, I'm gonna miss hiiiim.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Coffee And Pie posted:

Is this true?
It is true. I don't have a dick! :j:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Well that's what I heard!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Here's a Ghostbusters thing.

http://society6.com/sirdiddymus/Heebie-Jeebie-Busters_Print

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I never noticed before, but they use one of the original designs for the No Ghost logo.

Does anyone know if AMC is planning on doing any October screenings of Ghostbusters this year?

Edit: Setting up my new office:

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 21, 2012

• Locked thread