Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Is adjustable lumbar not standard on Leaps? My chair is missing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
It's optional on the V1's.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
This embody chair is insanely comfortable compared to the POS staples "Serta" chair it replaced. I can't believe I waited this long to drop the coin :(

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Raukowath posted:

What kind of hoops do you have to jump through to get the S3 pricing, do you know offhand? Minimum orders, what do you have to show, etc. I could probably swing getting a small business owner to get me but I'm wondering if they would bother with a single chair from some jerk.

They only asked me where I worked, and after telling them I am a local business owner, they asked what my business name was. I'm only buying a single chair.

I don't know if the local dealer had to jump through any hoops, but I hadn't even heard of the S3 pricing before going down there. They brought me up to speed and let me know I qualified.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 24, 2012

Raukowath
Jul 5, 2003
Wreaker of Havoc

Knyteguy posted:

They only asked me where I worked, and after telling them I am a local business owner, they asked what my business name was. I'm only buying a single chair.

I don't know if the local dealer had to jump through any hoops, but I hadn't even heard of the S3 pricing before going down there. They brought me up to speed and let me know I qualified.

Sounds like I should check this out, There are two authorized dealers nearby (in Michigan), and if I could get a good deal on an embody or a mirra (price depending) for home, where I actually do work from quite a bit, this would be awesome. Thanks for the heads up in regards to this.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
drat it, i cant fuckin decide which chair i should buy.
Atleast im pretty sure that i will choose a Herman Miller, a Steelcase Leap is too expensive here in Germany (2500$).
As i said before, i cant try out the chairs because there is not one lovely local dealer who got Miller chairs, so i just read hours and hours of internet reviews.

Aeron: 1650$. many reviewer complain of numbness in the legs. im dealing with that with my lovely cheap chair too, so that could be a problem. and some say that the ergonomic design of the aeron is just outdated.
Mirra: 1250$. less complains about numbness but the back mesh seems to be more stiff and not that comfortable.
Embody: 2100$. that seems to be the ultimate chair with almost no complains at all. the only thing is ITS FUCKIN EXPENSIVE!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so, I don't know what to make about this.

I got my embody about two weeks ago, and really like it for the most part.

EXCEPT - I find myself hunching over / leaning forward a whole lot, like putting a lot of my weight on the elbows of my armrests. I'm not sure I ever noticed myself hunching forward in my old lovely 50 dollar chair, but it didn't have armrests.

anyways, my back is actually hurting some even, which can't be a good sign. and I've started just randomly checking my posture now every hour or so, and 70% of the time I'm like .... yep, hunching forward again...

I followed the set up instructions that came with my chair, and ended up with the posture support/back curve thing all the way forward, my arm rests are as high as the manual said they should be, the front of the seat doesn't touch my calfs, my legs rest in a neutral position.... I just don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or what. :/

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010

JayKay posted:

If you're in the Baltimore area, this guy is selling 2009 manufacture Mirras for $275. http://baltimore.craigslist.org/fuo/3029375919.html

He has about 6 left, all shadow on shadow with 1 gray on shadow. All in excellent shape.

Did you end up picking one of these up? I just saw your post and the price is pretty drat good. I might have to call them and check one of these out - how similar to an Aeron are they? I sit in a size C Aeron all day at work.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

mindphlux posted:

EXCEPT - I find myself hunching over / leaning forward a whole lot, like putting a lot of my weight on the elbows of my armrests. I'm not sure I ever noticed myself hunching forward in my old lovely 50 dollar chair, but it didn't have armrests.

anyways, my back is actually hurting some even, which can't be a good sign. and I've started just randomly checking my posture now every hour or so, and 70% of the time I'm like .... yep, hunching forward again...

I followed the set up instructions that came with my chair, and ended up with the posture support/back curve thing all the way forward, my arm rests are as high as the manual said they should be, the front of the seat doesn't touch my calfs, my legs rest in a neutral position.... I just don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or what. :/

YMMV, but the reason I didn't get the embody was because I didn't feel that the back was that supportive when I leaned back, so I end up hunched forward.

Update on self reupholster of my leap chair - hand held staple guns don't have enough power to staple the fabric :(

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

mindphlux posted:

Are you allowing yourself to recline into the chair? I have mine set such that I recline into it and let the lumbar support take care of my lower back. Bad posture won't be corrected by a chair; you actually have to sit properly. This chair just makes sitting properly easier.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

johnnyXcrane posted:

Aeron: 1650$. many reviewer complain of numbness in the legs. im dealing with that with my lovely cheap chair too, so that could be a problem. and some say that the ergonomic design of the aeron is just outdated.

I've had one at work for the last two years or so and I love it. It's very comfortable. It's a fully-loaded model and I made sure to do the proper adjustments when it arrived.

I ended up ordering a Leap for my home office just last week, though. I hadn't sat in one previously and I found it to be even comfier than the Aeron. It was a bit more money than the Aeron, but for the amount of time I spend sitting at my desk, it was a bargain.

I cannot stress the importance of sitting in these chairs before you make a purchasing decision. There are simply some types of people that prefer one chair over the other and that is fine, but you'll never know which one you personally prefer until you try it for yourself.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
I know. Trying the chairs out before buying would be pretty nice. I just got no option for that. :(

Maybe someone with my bodytype got some experience with the chairs?
5'10, 155lbs, and i got a hollow back (is that the right english word? lol)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

johnnyXcrane posted:

i got a hollow back (is that the right english word? lol)

the correct english word is "holler back"

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Inovius posted:

Did you end up picking one of these up? I just saw your post and the price is pretty drat good. I might have to call them and check one of these out - how similar to an Aeron are they? I sit in a size C Aeron all day at work.

I did and it's awesome. We have Aerons at work and while they're pretty similar, I find the Mirra much more comfortable.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Does anyone have this chair? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20178865/

Pondering it, but if I end up building a standing desk for home, maybe not.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tedronai66 posted:

Does anyone have this chair? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20178865/

Yup, although mine's black. I really like it, although it's not as adjustable as the really serious chairs in the thread. I said earlier that it's definitely better than something from OfficeMax or what have you, but it's obviously not a Mirra or Embrace or anything. The reclining mechanism is very nice, the back and seat move independently in a manner reminiscent of an Aeron (my only point of reference.)

I would also like more padding in the armrests.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
Noticed this chair on sale at amazon and it looks pretty sturdy anyone had any experience with them or think it will be good? discounted price looks to good to pass up.

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008

Tedronai66 posted:

I just bought this exact model yesterday. So far I'm enjoying it, but I've only sat in it for a few hours.

My suggestion is to just go to Ikea and sit in one for a while. That's what I did. It's no Aeron, but it's good enough that I can sit at the right height and get some decent back support. Worth the $170 IMHO.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tedronai66 posted:

I have the chair too (in black, leather seat), and it's very, very sturdy. It's not very adjustable as Inspector_71 said (the armrests are fixed, you can't pull the lower back part farther back, the backrest doesn't flex a few centimeters forward if I lean forward like I learned to love with my office chair...), and I personally find the seat a bit short for my taste, but it's built like a tank, and if it fits you back, a great chair. Of course, like every summer I curse the fact that I chose the leather seat (although the mesh is of course great).

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 8, 2012

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I can find myself doing that. You may try locking the recline in place at the topmost spot, then adjusting to that, and gradually releasing it as you get more accustomed. I find you still have a bit of support movement looking over your shoulders and leaning around even locked upright. Also do you have a foot rest? I find that it helps my pelvis get the proper geometry and really makes it very hard to mess up my posture.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I'm planning to replace my current computer desk and chair because HOLY poo poo they're falling apart.

For the chair I went to a specialty ergonomic store and sat down in an Aeron (the 2B model) and suddenly I felt better. So I'll probably get that once I can deal with the cost.

The desk is a little harder. It's a little outside the scope of this thread but the desk thread seems to have been archived. I don't want to spend a thousand on an ergonomic desk in addition, so I'm looking at regular computer desks; in particular I'm looking at l-shaped desks since I have two big monitors and want some space in addition to that to write stuff. Something like this.

The problem is I want to have my keyboard and my trackball in the keyboard tray, and it seems like no desk has a keyboard tray that will have any room left over after adding a full-size keyboard.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

wdarkk posted:

The desk is a little harder. It's a little outside the scope of this thread but the desk thread seems to have been archived. I don't want to spend a thousand on an ergonomic desk in addition, so I'm looking at regular computer desks; in particular I'm looking at l-shaped desks since I have two big monitors and want some space in addition to that to write stuff. Something like this.

The problem is I want to have my keyboard and my trackball in the keyboard tray, and it seems like no desk has a keyboard tray that will have any room left over after adding a full-size keyboard.
Any desk should be fine, just make sure the height is right for you. If something is off you can correct it with a combination of a monitor stand, footrest, keyboard tray, etc. until you get it right.

As far as the keyboard tray, larger ones are available, but they are EXPENSIVE. I'd suggest a compact keyboard - this is the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJH6Y6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

If you really need the numpad, you can buy a separate USB one and put that on your desk.

Actually I'd recommend EVERYONE look into a compact keyboard, tray or no - it allows you to center the keyboard right until the monitor while still keeping the mouse nearby. Really cuts down on the amount of reaching you have to do. Again, if you REALLY need the numpad, buy a separate USB one and put it to the left of your keyboard. I never have a need for one myself.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Any desk should be fine, just make sure the height is right for you. If something is off you can correct it with a combination of a monitor stand, footrest, keyboard tray, etc. until you get it right.

As far as the keyboard tray, larger ones are available, but they are EXPENSIVE. I'd suggest a compact keyboard - this is the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJH6Y6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

If you really need the numpad, you can buy a separate USB one and put that on your desk.

Actually I'd recommend EVERYONE look into a compact keyboard, tray or no - it allows you to center the keyboard right until the monitor while still keeping the mouse nearby. Really cuts down on the amount of reaching you have to do. Again, if you REALLY need the numpad, buy a separate USB one and put it to the left of your keyboard. I never have a need for one myself.

If I could find a compact with cherry browns I would. Nowhere seems to have any in stock except EliteKeyboards, and I don't want leopold.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Tedronai66 posted:

If I could find a compact with cherry browns I would. Nowhere seems to have any in stock except EliteKeyboards, and I don't want leopold.

Look for the Filco Majestouch2 87key then. You can get it other places than elite keyboards, like Amazon.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Personally, I think you guys are crazy with your Leap love. I started my career right at the end of the first Internet gold rush, so the full compliment of HM chairs, Steelcase stuff, and even a few of the Steven Hawking Humanscale chairs were available to me. I was never able to find one that I loved more than a fully loaded Aeron in size C. I'm 6'3"/195, so maybe size has something to do with it. I ultimately purchased one for my house after switching to freelance.

Just echoing what others have said. Before you drop a grand on a chair, beg, borrow, or steal your way to trying it out first.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

Personally, I think you guys are crazy with your Leap love. I started my career right at the end of the first Internet gold rush, so the full compliment of HM chairs, Steelcase stuff, and even a few of the Steven Hawking Humanscale chairs were available to me. I was never able to find one that I loved more than a fully loaded Aeron in size C. I'm 6'3"/195, so maybe size has something to do with it. I ultimately purchased one for my house after switching to freelance.

Just echoing what others have said. Before you drop a grand on a chair, beg, borrow, or steal your way to trying it out first.

Yes. Very much so. I was "forced" into a leap at work and to this day I hate that chair. Now I barely sit at all, even though I have a body-built beastly thing at my desk.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Agreeing with the Leap complaints. That seat was so hard.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

amitlu posted:

Agreeing with the Leap complaints. That seat was so hard.

Chairs are all by nature YMMV, but it's kind of counterfactual to call a chair with plenty of cushioning hard...

Leoben
May 27, 2008
I'm getting a new computer in the next two weeks and with it, new accessories depending on how everything I already have works out or not. So I'm visiting each appropriate thread for the different products.

I've always practiced good posture but I've never been too serious about investing in a quality chair. Now I'm going to be doing 10-20 hours of video editing/compositing per week at home. What do I really need to know when selecting something that's high quality? If anyone wants to make recommendations, I may be willing to spend upwards of $200.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Leoben posted:

I'm getting a new computer in the next two weeks and with it, new accessories depending on how everything I already have works out or not. So I'm visiting each appropriate thread for the different products.

I've always practiced good posture but I've never been too serious about investing in a quality chair. Now I'm going to be doing 10-20 hours of video editing/compositing per week at home. What do I really need to know when selecting something that's high quality? If anyone wants to make recommendations, I may be willing to spend upwards of $200.
I've posted it before, but make sure it has these adjustments:

Seat height adjustment
Seat depth adjustment (seat slider)
Back height adjustment (adjusts the position of the lumbar)
Back angle adjustment
Seat angle adjustment (independent of the back angle)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm pretty happy with the Leap but I think I'm slouching just to get my eyes level with my monitors, which are about a foot under my eye level. I'm guessing a monitor stand is recommended?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
/\/\ If you've got the money to spare, an Ergotron/ergotron knock-off will fix that for you.

Just finished my first day in a second-hand $250 Freedom, and I love it. I was a bit skeptical about the auto-recline, but it works beautifully.

Thank you thread for the impetus to get something that doesn't destroy my back.

e2: One thing is that I'm on a varnished wood floor, which the castors don't seem to like much, and they drag up any rug I put down. Anyone know of any cheap surfaces that are good to roll on?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 17, 2012

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

coffeetable posted:

e2: One thing is that I'm on a varnished wood floor, which the castors don't seem to like much, and they drag up any rug I put down. Anyone know of any cheap surfaces that are good to roll on?

Costco has decent prices, I have one for the 45x53 or whatever with lip for my bamboo floors at home, works like a charm.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
After like a year of using an exercise ball, I got an Ikea Markus in blue. Such an unquestionably great investment, it's so comfortable I don't even slouch in it :O

It works nicely on a varnished wood floors too ;)

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Mandalay posted:

I'm pretty happy with the Leap but I think I'm slouching just to get my eyes level with my monitors, which are about a foot under my eye level. I'm guessing a monitor stand is recommended?

I've always used text/reference books or reams of copier paper, but there are dedicated monitor stands if you want to be fancy.

Ergo at my company said you want to have the top of the screen about at eye level.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ninja Rope posted:

I've always used text/reference books or reams of copier paper, but there are dedicated monitor stands if you want to be fancy.

Ergo at my company said you want to have the top of the screen about at eye level.
Usually I've heard ergo people say your eyes should be about 1/3 to 1/4 down from the top of the monitor. If you ask 20 ergo people something you'll get 20 different opinions though...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It depends on the size of the monitor/how far away it is. Basically you want the screen to be in the middle of your field of vision.

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL
Buying an Aeron soon, since I've just found a local retailer for one. :)

Do any similar users have suggestions for third-party headrests? I'm only seeing three (a lovely looking leather one on eBay, a foam one on Amazon with mixed reviews, and a mesh one on Amazon that's $180AU shipped).

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Blackclaw posted:

Buying an Aeron soon, since I've just found a local retailer for one. :)

Do any similar users have suggestions for third-party headrests? I'm only seeing three (a lovely looking leather one on eBay, a foam one on Amazon with mixed reviews, and a mesh one on Amazon that's $180AU shipped).

I've used an Aeron for a few months now, and moving from a big leather chair, I don't really miss the head rest at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Does anyone have a problem with their Leap where the lumbar support would move up after a certain period of time? I'm not sure if it's because the little dips are worn out or because the support is moving where it's supposed to be. I doubt it's the latter because it's moving 2 spaces from the top and I'm only 5'6".