Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of which, he replies like within an hour to my (much better worded and properly capitalized+punctuated version) of the above question.

quote:

Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:07 AM
To: Barton
Subject: Re: Duck confit sous-vide + botulism concern.

Traveling and your question is good. Email again next week if I don't respond wld you?

M

Sent from my iPad

chattin with ol' mike ruhlman about sous-vide duck confit while he's on vacation at loving midnight like a boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Let's work under the assumption that I have half a gelding at my disposal to eat. Let's also work under the assumption that I have never cooked horse before. Anyone have any tips or recipes?

Steak de cheval, treat like steak parisienne. Treat the Onglet like you would with beef too. I like a quick sear, dunk in ice water then thin cut against the grain, served with a bit of soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabe.

Otherwise, as far as I know, a whole heck of a load of stewing meat.

edit: Traditionally, everything other than quick fry cuts were either air dried then cut thin, or put into sausages. At least in switzerland.

edit2: I don't like horse tartare myself but I hear it's done in Japan a fair amount. Korea too I think?

Huh, apparently yes: http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal/korean-food-101/raw-horse-meat/
I'd go with the Yuk Hui certainly.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 11, 2012

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mindphlux posted:

I mean, I instinctively agree with you. I've made confit this way for years, kept it for 4-6 months, and am not dead yet. But I don't deny the science of botulism spores, so that leaves me where I am. I need someone smarter than me to explain the science of it so I don't kill a dinner party of 20 or something.
You're a smart dude so I should have assumed you knew that about the duck fat. I didn't notice the part where you talked about jars and poo poo, my bad.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

You're a smart dude so I should have assumed you knew that about the duck fat. I didn't notice the part where you talked about jars and poo poo, my bad.

yeah, it was pretty annoying last time I made a big batch of like 20 legs "The Traditional Way". I literally had to buy like 20lbs of unrendered duck fat from my butcher/farmers market, and render it all out. Well, that or pay like 40 bucks for a gallon of rendered duck fat, which gently caress that when raw duck fat is like .79c/lb.

anyways, I still ended up not having enough fat to fill all my jars, so I had to eat 5 of the legs within the first week or so period. :( oh god let me tell you it was horrible

hehe

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
In my, completely unscientific, opinion - what makes something like rillette taste the best is not the process of making the confit (hell, I think slow cooking pigs breast vs doing it as confit are pretty goddamn close anyways, which makes pulled pork products something that is in that general area as well, this doesn't generalize to confit'ed bunnies though, the olive oil may be the reason for that?).

What really affects the taste is the aging afterwards.

I'm still in the process of running a duck rillette experiment, with how long aging is the best, right now I am at 1 year minimum, but not longer than 2 1/2, where the taste starts to become blandish, without adding new notes.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

And no, it is not high meat, it is cured meat.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Casu Marzu posted:

Let's work under the assumption that I have half a gelding at my disposal to eat. Let's also work under the assumption that I have never cooked horse before. Anyone have any tips or recipes?

Just like you would with corresponding cuts of beef. There is nothing strange about horse meat, apart from it often being much cheaper than beef of similar quality. Horse is great.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

DekeThornton posted:

Just like you would with corresponding cuts of beef. There is nothing strange about horse meat, apart from it often being much cheaper than beef of similar quality. Horse is great.

Yeah, lean horse meat you can use as you would beef or game meats. The fattier cuts are the ones that carry the sweet "horsey" flavours, so those are the only ones you need to put some special thought into. Horse goulash, moussaka, smoked and thinly sliced filet as deli meat, etc.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Horse fat for deep frying klejner for the authentic taste of Danish christmas.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Here in Sweden smoked sliced horse meat is sold in most grocery stores under the name "hamburgerkött" (hamburger meat). I guess that could end up surprising unsuspecting americans.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
"Do you like Black Beauty?"

"Yes - medium rare."

There was a famous racehorse in the UK called Shergar who was kidnapped and never found. That's probably what happened to him.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Those uncultured Irish fucks probably boiled him to smithereens with potatoes and cabbage.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Those uncultured Irish fucks probably boiled him to smithereens with potatoes and cabbage.
Or made stew. Irish stew.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Wait that's the same thi....

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Finally got around to reading the Emerald City throwdown thread :stare: for EC's reaction, :hfive: to Bart for the probation. I didn't know we had other Iowans around this place. Well, I wasn't born here, and Bart doesn't live her anymore, but still :hfive: for people defending my fair (adopted) state.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

mindphlux posted:

chattin with ol' mike ruhlman about sous-vide duck confit while he's on vacation at loving midnight like a boss

Buy him an account!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

wafflesnsegways posted:

Buy him an account!

Didn't you know HappyHat's true identity?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamnit. My mom heard back from the auto body shop after my accident. The radiator she just got replaced got pierced, $3500. 1k more and the car would have been written off as totaled. And the lady I ran into pretty much just got a scratch on her bumper, gently caress. :smith:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

mindphlux posted:

Niiiiice. :mmmhmm:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Goddamnit. My mom heard back from the auto body shop after my accident. The radiator she just got replaced got pierced, $3500. 1k more and the car would have been written off as totaled. And the lady I ran into pretty much just got a scratch on her bumper, gently caress. :smith:

That blows.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

yeah, it was pretty annoying last time I made a big batch of like 20 legs "The Traditional Way". I literally had to buy like 20lbs of unrendered duck fat from my butcher/farmers market, and render it all out. Well, that or pay like 40 bucks for a gallon of rendered duck fat, which gently caress that when raw duck fat is like .79c/lb.

anyways, I still ended up not having enough fat to fill all my jars, so I had to eat 5 of the legs within the first week or so period. :( oh god let me tell you it was horrible

hehe

What would you estimate four cups of rendered goose fat would cost? I need to know for insurance purposes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

Radiator replacement isn't $3500. You're getting robbed.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Radiator replacement isn't $3500. You're getting robbed.
I assume that the 3.5k is mostly the body work. I'd hope the radiator isn't more than about US$100 of that. If the blue book on the car is US$4.5k, then I'm still having trouble imagining how you could manage to do 3.5k worth of damage to 4.5k worth of car without bending the frame, knocking the engine out of its mounts, or rolling it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My grandfather's shop would charge about $400-$800 for a radiator replacement, labor and all. Because labor is ungodly stupidly expensive and he's a total prick who loves to overcharge folks. There's no way in hell $3500 is just the radiator unless that comes with a free STD test in the morning, because god you'd be gettin' hosed.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If it was indeed 3500 of body work on a 4500 car, I'd have looked into getting it totalled and buying something vintage with the proceeds.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just going by what my mom told me :v:. I haven't had any dealings with the matter beyond the accident itself, and talking to the insurance company. It's body work too, but I assume it's not a *lot* of work, maybe. One of the headlights got pushed back some and the hood won't latch into place. I'm pretty sure the frame itself wasn't hosed though.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Nietzschean posted:

When you say greens, do you mean literally canned greens like mustard greens, collard greens, and so on, or are you just meaning anything at all that's green and/or leafy like lettuce, spinach, radishes, artichokes, and so on? I love salad, and one of the concerns in the back of my mind when embarking on this fast food diet was thought I wouldn't get enough vitamins or whatever is good about vegetables. I thought you were supposed to avoid fruits and vegetables, though, because of them being loaded with carbs and stuff?

Forgive me if I sound stupid as hell, I really am this ignorant.

Oh goddddd :barf:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:barf:

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

Has anyone here ever experienced steaks tasting distinctly soapy?

I was proud of myself for having (finally) settled the butter/no butter debate with my husband when searing rib-eyes, got a great crust on medium rare, and then the meat tastes of soap. Wtf. A bit of googling tells me improper aging is the most likely cause.

Edit: obv in the 'no butter unless at the very end' camp

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

close to toast posted:

Has anyone here ever experienced steaks tasting distinctly soapy?

I was proud of myself for having (finally) settled the butter/no butter debate with my husband when searing rib-eyes, got a great crust on medium rare, and then the meat tastes of soap. Wtf. A bit of googling tells me improper aging is the most likely cause.

Edit: obv in the 'no butter unless at the very end' camp

Or maybe you got fatty-rancid horse meat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Eat This Glob posted:

Finally got around to reading the Emerald City throwdown thread :stare: for EC's reaction, :hfive: to Bart for the probation. I didn't know we had other Iowans around this place. Well, I wasn't born here, and Bart doesn't live her anymore, but still :hfive: for people defending my fair (adopted) state.

Lolol they lost, anyway:

http://www.comcastbiteofseattle.com/videos_contest_gallery.php?contest_id=5

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hahahaha! YES!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ha, clearly the correct result.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just made some chili beer mustard and it kicks rear end. I would never have discovered the joys of making my own mustard if it weren't for the mustard ICSA, and by extension GWS.

Thanks GWS!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I am generally a happy go lucky, love everybody sort.

But good, gently caress EC forever I'm glad the motherfucker lost.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Oh lord. I thought people were being a little hard on him/her, but by the time I got to that thread the OP link was gone and I was too lazy to look for that video. I just watched the video and
Got.
drat.
You weren't hard enough on her (him? still confused).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sweet, sweet schadenfreude. Probably not as sweet as that dish, though.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I want Shine to shout at that guy. Seriously, what the gently caress.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Filboid Studge posted:

I want Shine to shout at that guy. Seriously, what the gently caress.

I just want Shine to yell at people (that aren't me), period. I am terrified of posting in YLLS, but I read it a lot. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

Dane posted:

Or maybe you got fatty-rancid horse meat.

Not rancid, just oddly detergent-y.

I tossed them and got Indian takeout instead and my tandoori chicken was dry. Not a good day for meat :(