Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Pinny posted:

Small update on my TF101's battery woes...

I fully charged both the dock and the tablet over night and left the tablet powered down and detached from the dock while I went to work. Came home and checked them, the Tablet lost 1% battery, the dock lost 34% and it wasn't even in use.

When I attach them the dual battery widget shows the dock's battery icon as charging and the tablets icon as not charging. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Just to clarify; have you enabled dock standby? It's in Settings - Device - ASUS customized setting - BATTERY SAVING and check the box labeled "MobileDock Battery saving mode".
I don't have lovely grammar and spelling, that's copied verbatim from the interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/11/office-depot-delays-nexus-7-sales-until-further-notice/

At least for Office Depot, it did turn out that the shipment date and sell date are two different things.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 11, 2012

Kerm
Jun 17, 2003

VIDEO GAME RINGTONES

BoyBlunder posted:

Rumor has it that Office Depot and Gamestop will have the Nexus 7 as soon as this Thursday.

I just got off the phone with 2 different Gamestop locations to see if they had preorder space left on their first shipment, and both told me that they would be in stock tomorrow. Take that as you will.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

randyest posted:

:stare: they'll drop a $200-$250 package on your doorstep without a signature?

That's weird; I'd always have to pre-sign/pre-authorize anonymous delivery (which I won't) for no-signature delivery to get just about anything over $50 delivered without someone there to sign for it.

Uhh who are you shopping from? I cant remember the last package ive had to sign under $500. $500 is where fedex/ups force companies to pay for signed delivery, anything under that and they dont care.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Kynetx posted:

Just to clarify; have you enabled dock standby? It's in Settings - Device - ASUS customized setting - BATTERY SAVING and check the box labeled "MobileDock Battery saving mode".
I don't have lovely grammar and spelling, that's copied verbatim from the interface.

yep, that settings been enabled since forever

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I want to buy a galaxy nexus 7 primarily to use splash top on it.

Does it matter if splashtop isnt updated for jelly bean? will splash top even run correctly in 1280x800? Splashtop devs are kind of flaky.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

coolskillrex remix posted:

Uhh who are you shopping from? I cant remember the last package ive had to sign under $500. $500 is where fedex/ups force companies to pay for signed delivery, anything under that and they dont care.
Newegg, Amazon, Apple, for example.

I guess if they can remote disable the tablet if it's stolen then it's less risk / makes more sense, but otherwise I can see a lot of people having it "stolen" off their doorstep.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There have been PLENTY of times where the UPS shipment required a signature, but they decide to leave it without one anyways.

My parents ordered a new TV off of Amazon and it came UPS shipping, signature required, and they just left it on their porch.

They were even home at the time.

Guy never even knocked on the door.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've had awful experiences with FedEx...they left a $300 printer on my porch.

It wasn't even in the usual brown mailing box. It was in the same box you'd see on a store shelf so it was pretty obvious what it was.

I never used FedEx again after that.

I hope the Play store doesn't use that if I decide to go that route.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've had awful experiences with FedEx...they left a $300 printer on my porch.

It wasn't even in the usual brown mailing box. It was in the same box you'd see on a store shelf so it was pretty obvious what it was.

I never used FedEx again after that.

I hope the Play store doesn't use that if I decide to go that route.

Why not get it delivered to your workplace instead? I am getting mine delivered to my workplace. Much less hassle than worrying about being home at the right time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

Why not get it delivered to your workplace instead? I am getting mine delivered to my workplace. Much less hassle than worrying about being home at the right time.

I was actually at home, no one knocked or anything.

With UPS around here, they come REALLY late in the day (around 8pm central) and FedEx, they'll just drop your stuff off anywhere.

I'll probably just go with UPS if possible or a brick and mortar store.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

ThermoPhysical posted:

I was actually at home, no one knocked or anything.

With UPS around here, they come REALLY late in the day (around 8pm central) and FedEx, they'll just drop your stuff off anywhere.

I'll probably just go with UPS if possible or a brick and mortar store.

Yeah, I guess the point is this; if it is a business they will likely go into the building rather than just drop it off in front of the door. Also, depending on the size of the business, they could have multiple packages for that location, and will deliver them to the mailroom. I never have stuff delivered to my home, it's just too much of a crap shoot.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

Yeah, I guess the point is this; if it is a business they will likely go into the building rather than just drop it off in front of the door. Also, depending on the size of the business, they could have multiple packages for that location, and will deliver them to the mailroom. I never have stuff delivered to my home, it's just too much of a crap shoot.

I work from home so I don't think it'd work, unless I had them mail it to my college across the street.

Do UPS and FedEx mail to colleges?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

coolskillrex remix posted:

For an extra fee the shipper can demand signature required on the order.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Scaramouche posted:

For an extra fee the shipper can demand signature required on the order.

And then the person that delivers the package can choose to completely ignore that requirement and toss the package anywhere.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

ThermoPhysical posted:

I work from home so I don't think it'd work, unless I had them mail it to my college across the street.

Do UPS and FedEx mail to colleges?

I would assume so since they do receive mail. You might need to specify a specific address on the campus to deliver the mail to, and let whoever is in charge of the mail know about it, of course.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

And then the person that delivers the package can choose to completely ignore that requirement and toss the package anywhere.
And then the "recipient" can deny receiving it and get another one or a refund. I have no idea how that works out between the shipper and UPS/Fedex and who pays for it, but I have known lovely people who did stuff like that and then resell the extra item.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

And when there is no signature recorded you complain to the shopping company and get it resolved.

I don't know - I have only seen people bitch about shipping companies online. I never had a problem nor heard about it in day to day life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If I had to assign a percentage success rate with UPS and Fedex packages delivered to residential, it would probably only be about 45%.

My favorite "trick" is not even attempting delivery for 3 days straight and then leaving a slip saying you have to pick it up at the depot.

That's pretty much why I only get stuff delivered to my office now, business delivery seems to work so much better.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions on how to fix this? I swiped my finger left and right.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

More than once I've watched the FedEx guy walk up to our UNLOCKED doors and stick a note on it, saying they attempted to deliver a package, and then walk back to the truck and drive off. He won't even have a box with him. Our windows are slightly tinted, but you can clearly see us sitting inside, and the business hours are painted on the outside of one in huge letters, so that fucker KNOWS we're open. gently caress them.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I've pretty much delivered everything at work (except for large deliveries) and i haven't had problems since.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oh god I want to review this tablet so bad.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

Looks like the Nexus 7 has a magnet sensor to turn off the screen. Makes me hope that is how the branded cover in the play store stays closed/wakes the device.
People are already talking lawsuits.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

And smartasses everywhere are pointing out that Blackberry beat Apple to the punch on magnets and cases by like 10 years.

Of course, when someone at the patent office sees something from Apple and goes -~=Oh Apple!=~- :swoon: and grants whatever patent they are fishing for anyway regardless the prior art, it won't matter anyway.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

And when there is no signature recorded you complain to the shopping company and get it resolved.

I don't know - I have only seen people bitch about shipping companies online. I never had a problem nor heard about it in day to day life.
"shopping company" or "shipping company"?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Just ordered my Nexus 7 :fap:

I've heard rumors they should ship later this week, anything to it?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
How does the Nexus 7 compare to a Playbook size-wise?

I'm eyeing this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bluetoo...=item4844e46580

as opposed to those wired generic keyboard cases on ebay...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

In my experience its more like "leave it on front door and sign 'F.Door' themselves".

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

shodanjr_gr posted:

How does the Nexus 7 compare to a Playbook size-wise?

I'm eyeing this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bluetoo...=item4844e46580

as opposed to those wired generic keyboard cases on ebay...

the playbook is 194 x 130 x 10 mm and the N7 is 198.5 x 120 x 10.5mm, so it's taller but has less width.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

XIII posted:

More than once I've watched the FedEx guy walk up to our UNLOCKED doors and stick a note on it, saying they attempted to deliver a package, and then walk back to the truck and drive off. He won't even have a box with him. Our windows are slightly tinted, but you can clearly see us sitting inside, and the business hours are painted on the outside of one in huge letters, so that fucker KNOWS we're open. gently caress them.

Is this what happens when you don't tip your delivery drivers around Christmas? :ohdear:

ilkhan posted:

In my experience its more like "leave it on front door and sign 'F.Door' themselves".

Seems like you'd still have recourse if it gets stolen unless your name is Frank Door.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

More than once I've watched the FedEx guy walk up to our UNLOCKED doors and stick a note on it, saying they attempted to deliver a package, and then walk back to the truck and drive off. He won't even have a box with him.

This is FedEx and USPS for me. DHL will just put my poo poo on the ground and flip the garbage can over it, then on the "we missed you" slip he'll write "under garbage can."

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
...and for all these myriad reasons I always try to get USPS to ship stuff for me. UPS and FedEx both suck rear end.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've never had these problems with the Royal Mail, but whenever I buy something that's shipping with City Link/DHL/Fedex/DPD or whatever, I have the exact same bullshit problems that you lot just described. Privatisation seems to encourage poor service, rather than the other way round.

So have any companies started making covers/accessories for the 7 yet? The cover wasn't in stock when I preordered my tablet and my wife keeps talking about how she wants to take it to the gym and stuff, so it'll definitely need some kind of armour. Maybe I should knit it a nice jumper.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

I've never had these problems with the Royal Mail, but whenever I buy something that's shipping with City Link/DHL/Fedex/DPD or whatever, I have the exact same bullshit problems that you lot just described. Privatisation seems to encourage poor service, rather than the other way round.

So have any companies started making covers/accessories for the 7 yet? The cover wasn't in stock when I preordered my tablet and my wife keeps talking about how she wants to take it to the gym and stuff, so it'll definitely need some kind of armour. Maybe I should knit it a nice jumper.

I'm sure the bean counters at FedEx/UPS have figured out exactly how many deliveries need to be done per day and at what value point they can disregard needing a signature where the cost of replacing the item is cheaper than getting those deliveries done.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

So, does anyone have an idea when the play store preorders ship for the Nexus 7? It does seem kind of weird how under wraps and coy retailers and google are playing at the release date.

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 12, 2012

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

They all shipped yesterday.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Optimus Subprime posted:

So, does anyone have an idea when the play store preorders ship for the Nexus 7?

Not really, no.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

teethgrinder posted:

They all shipped yesterday.

That would be nice if it were the case, but so far no one has any evidence of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Hamelekim posted:

Every other business allows you cancel a sale before it actually ships.

Lots of places don't. When I've run across it, it was due to the order being sent to the warehouse for shipping and even though a shipping confirmation hasn't gone out yet, it's still too late to stop.