Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Crustashio posted:

I had V12s out on one track day in my 328is and I wasn't really a fan. They squealed like hell even though I wasn't near the limit, and the treadblocks made the steering feel quite vague.
I agree, there's something about this tire that just makes the steering response a big sluggish. Ultimate grip isn't too bad (better than the Bridgestone RE760 I had before) and they do better with much less air pressure than I was used to.

I ran a more or less brand new (less than 500 street miles) set last Saturday at Streets of Willow. I did about 30 laps, weather was 100+ degrees. I could get another 5 days out of them, easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Admirable Gusto posted:

Oh do tell please; I promise to keep the traction control on :f5:

Ok, keep in mind:
1) I've never driven Laguna in real life, this is all just from my own racing experience and watching lots of races and other series at Laguna.
2) This stuff might not be applicable/work with your tires/skill/willingness to die.

1) Turn 2: You look like you're a bit shallow for the exit of the corner. You have a nice long straight after so you want to have a later apex and be on the power out of that corner as soon as possible. You'll want to start getting into the throttle by middle of the rumble strip and getting to WOT as fast as possible.

Faster than that: The braking zone for 2 extends into probably at or a bit past the midpoint of the first rumble strip. You can get a bulk of the braking done in the straight and trail brake through the first rumble strip.

2) Turn 6: Again it's one of those nice long straight aferwards you want to maximize your speed down. It sounds like you're waiting a while to get back on throttle after the corner. I would suggest losing a bit of entry speed and turn in a bit later to try to get into full throttle by middle of rumble strip. Also don't spin and die.

3) Turn 11: Same as turn 6, sacrifice some cornering speed. Apex a bit later and go for early throttle, about midway through the rumblestrip. Also don't spin the car or you're hitting a concrete wall. And will die.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 12, 2012

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

DJ Commie posted:

Note that its a 1500lb car with 120hp and proper camber/toe/caster so it doesn't needlessly chew through tires.

I have a 3700lb 400hp car so it chews through them fairly regularly :cry:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The V12 is not something I would recommend for track use. Especially if you don't have the alignment dialed in for track use and especially if the tires are on the narrow side. Get the alignment right and go a little wider and they'll work better and last longer. Of course, that's true for any tire. One of those cheap little IR temp gauges goes a lot way toward getting the most out of your tires and helping set up the car. Everyone who does track days should be monitoring the tire temperatures and pressures to set up the suspension and get a feel for how the tires respond to pressure differences.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 12, 2012

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Admirable Gusto posted:

I wonder if anyone who's familiar with Laguna Seca would please critique my lap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRtZ17hqTFU&t=462s

I've run Laguna 3 times and am really not more than a novice but I did see one thing that made me cringe. On one lap while passing another car you apexed 4 very early. Your speed was low enough that you didn't need all the track so everything was fine. One of my coworkers put his GTS in the wall on the inside of 4 because he went in hot, early and the instead of just letting go 4 off, he tried to save it. Thankfully both him and the instructor are okay. He was also luckily insured for it, so he was off buying a new car in no time.

I guess I just cringe whenever I see people take 4 really early.

What Muffinpox said about 11 is true. The game is late apex and get on the power as soon and as hard as you dare. This is the game the M3 played and lost. It's a well used section of wall.

The game at 6 is similar but it's a normal apex. However, given the safety improvements at that corner you will no longer be collected by a wall. More likely stuck in the gravel, worst case upside down.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Aurune - I'd never tried passing anyone on the inside of 4 before so it was a bit of a botty clenching moment. But I figured it was good experience :)

jamal posted:

The V12 is not something I would recommend for track use

So here's my conundrum - the engine in my car suffers from oil starvation issues. It's bad enough that I don't run anything stickier than stock (stock is PS2s/RE050As in this case), refuse to put on suspension mods of any sort, and short shift round sustained high-G turns (e.g. the banking at Auto Club, the carousel at Infineon Sonoma, etc). Together with frequent oil changes and a Blackstone Labs test at every oil change, I seem to have the problem somewhat contained

So if I were to move away from the V12s, are there any tires out there that:
a) you would recommend for track use,
b) don't cost an arm and a leg like the PS2s, and
c) don't have so much grip that oil starvation becomes an issue?

Or perhaps it's time to say gently caress it and get a dedicated track car

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I would say a better option would either be to add an oil pan baffle and/or an accusump.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Or drop in a GT3 Mezger engine ;)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, accusumps are great. It's just a pressurized can of oil that sits just after the pump outlet (usually via a sandwich adapter at the filter). If the pickup starves there is a pressurized source of oil ready to go. We were possibly the fastest wet sump Subaru and never had an oil starvation issue with one of those hooked up.
Some interesting stuff here:
http://www.lnengineering.com/deepsump.html
http://www.lnengineering.com/accusump.html

I like the secondary scanvenge pump for the heads. That would be a good idea on Subarus...

Hankook RS3 is probably the best value for a street/track tire, and has more grip than anything else in the category. They made that tire pretty much specifically for street tire class time attack.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 12, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Admirable Gusto posted:

I'd do this. Hell, part of the reason I've never gone much for a track day is because I've never had anything that I could track without worrying about the cost to repair / replace, and without ruining it for daily use (before I sold it the Miata definitely was cheap enough to track, but I'd need to put a rollbar in it - and any bar tall enough to pass for me would mean no top of any sort would ever work).

Maybe in a few years when the MS3 has 200k miles and I've bought my wife something newer...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
According to some of the Miata turbo guys, the R-S3s give the Nitto NT-01 a run for their money.

I'm in the start/middle (what started it was snapping 2 timing belts) of making the Miata a dedicated, street legal track car. I need to be able to get to work in the morning.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I figured you'd sold that car when you got the 2. Glad to see I was wrong.

Also, I wonder just how bad of an idea tracking a Mazda2 would be. Can't imagine the consumables would cost any more than they do for a Miata.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I just want to say that driving fast and well and on track is hard as gently caress - not just technically, but physically. I just got back from a long track event at Summit Point Raceway in west va and I was physically exhausted at the end of it. I now know why F1 drivers spend so much time at the gym.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Apologies for the shameless self-publicism but this thread seems to get much more traffic than the ChumpCar/LeMons thread. I wrote up our Brainerd experience for Autoweek: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120712/summerlove/120719948

eriddy posted:

I just want to say that driving fast and well and on track is hard as gently caress - not just technically, but physically. I just got back from a long track event at Summit Point Raceway in west va and I was physically exhausted at the end of it. I now know why F1 drivers spend so much time at the gym.

Yeah, no kidding. The seat we have in the Golf bashed me about quite a bit over the course of the weekend too. But I get the same happy tired feeling I used to get after going surfing (badly).

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 12, 2012

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

eriddy posted:

Was it a one or two day event? Two day events loving kill me if its hot. Drink plenty of water. Just constantly guzzle water and hit the bathroom before every session. Don't drink coffee or soda. One of the greatest things I got was a pop-up canopy. As always, know your physical limits. Most of the incidents I see during DE events are at the end of the day. There is nothing wrong with calling it a day early.

Question for the rest of you. Do you ever practice getting out of your car quickly? Start fully strapped in with helmet on and so forth. Everything on like you would be driving the car. Random timer to give the green and you get the gently caress out of the car. Kill the motor, hit the extinguisher, undo harness, pull down window net, dive out window, and run around like a mad man (don't do this last part). It is something that you can practice in your garage and definitely something you don't want to learn in an emergency.

It is kinda fun trying to beat your last time. I started doing it blindfolded. Practiced getting out the passenger window.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
It was a 2 day event, 4 30-minute sessions per day. What I ended up realizing was by the time I did a lap and got to the start of the straightaway I was tensed up from head to toe and I tried to relax there. And yeah, water owns.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, I wonder just how bad of an idea tracking a Mazda2 would be. Can't imagine the consumables would cost any more than they do for a Miata.

Bad, it's a slow car. Like slow when compared to green group slow.

Get another Miata, bolt a race seat to the floor and put in a normal roll bar.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

eriddy posted:

Do deadlifts, you brace a lot with your back and stronger muscles will make it less taxing. I started karting last year and races were 10 min with a 10 min break between heats. I would be exhausted by the 3rd heat and need to back off in the 4th when I first started. I had been running/cardio for a while at that point but doing back workouts had the most noticeable improvement on the ability to cope with the demands of driving, to the point where at the end of the season I did a 60minute continuous driving session at a flat out pace and felt like I could have stayed out for longer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bought some DTC-60s and did a 2-day; it was kind of boring because I drove in a 14 hour Chump the weekend before on the same course. Braking in a super front heavy FWD car is :dogstare: inducing. I had the option of going into the 3rd level run group, but I figured the speed differential would been too great; only could brush 100mph without the instructor in the car.

Got my Simple Green Extreme in today. Got an engine last week:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Admirable Gusto posted:

This is my plan, and I don't want to accumulate a bunch of parts I won't use on my current car. Sounds like V12s won't disintegrate on me, so I should be good.

I've found that as I get faster it's easier physically because I'm fighting the car less and using less force. But yeah, still pretty demanding. Just a few free weight exercises for triceps, biceps, and back daily goes a long way.
Seating position is critical too. If you have a heavy car, get closer to the steering wheel. If you've ever wondered why NASCAR drivers almost have the wheel under their chin, it's because they need more leverage to muscle the car around.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I have a 3700lb 400hp car so it chews through them fairly regularly :cry:

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Sounds like V12s won't disintegrate on me, so I should be good.

Only if you're planning on having 275s or wider.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Admirable Gusto posted:

So here's my conundrum - the engine in my car suffers from oil starvation issues. It's bad enough that I don't run anything stickier than stock (stock is PS2s/RE050As in this case), refuse to put on suspension mods of any sort, and short shift round sustained high-G turns (e.g. the banking at Auto Club, the carousel at Infineon Sonoma, etc). Together with frequent oil changes and a Blackstone Labs test at every oil change, I seem to have the problem somewhat contained

Don't try to drive around oil starvation issues. Buy a baffled oil pan, it's a lot cheaper than paying for a rebuilt Porsche engine.

If you're serious about doing more than a few track days or even just want to get the most out of what you have, do it right. I had to get a baffled oil pan and a fuel surge tank to tackle the oil and fuel starvation problems inherent with the Elise. Seems odd given the nature of the car but it's the cost of doing business sometimes.

I would also look into an intermediate shaft upgrade like the one here: http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html. Again, $600 plus installation is a lot cheaper than 15-20k for a remanufactured engine.

Edit: I'm really banking on the new 9A1 DFI engine in the Boxster not having these issues. They moved away from the IMS bearing design and added an integrated dry sump so here's hoping...

quote:

There's a huge gap between tracking a car with some light mods and a full on track car. You can have plenty of fun with the car as it sits. That said, if I had to do it all over again I'd find 3 or 4 other people to run Spec Miatas with. Racing with your wallet sucks, having (somewhat) equal machinery between friends would be amazing fun.

Pr0kjayhawk fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 13, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hopefully B-spec will stick around enough for people to comment on how well the cars hold up.

c355n4 posted:

Question for the rest of you. Do you ever practice getting out of your car quickly? Start fully strapped in with helmet on and so forth.

I used to do this in my caged Group 2 Focus when I was aspiring to be a rally driver. I realized I got really overly specific about where I was grabbing the A-pillar bar help launch myself out of the seat and car.

Last track day, my motel didn't have my reservation so I drove the rest of the way to the track and tried to sleep in the car. Didn't work so hot and did the day with 2 hours sleep and tons of caffeine. I told myself the moment I felt too off, I would stop. It was ok, but I definitely don't plan on doing it again.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Question about shoes: does anyone know if Puma Futurecats are wider than Sparco's boots? I've started finding my Sparcos quite uncomfortable after about an hour in the car, the left foot isn't wide enough, I think.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Dr JonboyG posted:

Question about shoes: does anyone know if Puma Futurecats are wider than Sparco's boots? I've started finding my Sparcos quite uncomfortable after about an hour in the car, the left foot isn't wide enough, I think.

No, future cats sole at their widest point are a little smaller than the width of you foot. I actually think theyre a bit too narrow, I heel toe with the side of my foot and can't reliably heel-toe in my S2000 with them unless I really turn my foot. They also have a very pronounced heel which is a bit uncomfortable after a long period of driving. If you can find them, I thought the drift cat width was just about perfect, the sole is as wide as your foot which makes them feel very natural.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

For those near Pocono, this wouldn't be a bad way to spend $100:

Drive a Lamborghini on a Racetrack
http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/Philadelphia/Other/19462

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

This was at our last event at NJMP - Lightning.

https://www.facebook.com/LimitlessRacing

They were doing testing and shakedown and some instruction among their drivers. It was amazing to see this thing whip around the track and I'm pretty sure the other participants had fun racing with him on track during the sprint races. I'm still waiting for pictures to stream in from the event from our photographer. But a few videos from participants have been posted already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4oRq68uIXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0_liCduTQ&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHwUPUnFvT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6B3fvXvzR8&hd=1

Was a great event and the results can be seen here. http://imgracing.com/Results/

We'll be at Pittsburgh International Race Complex (the track formerly known as Beaverun) from August 18th-19th if any of you are interested in making it out! http://imgracing.com/pittsburgh

There will be a 2hr SprintDuro in addition to the normal DE/TT and sprint races. Hopefully I'll have some video of myself on the track.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A lot of onboard footage I see has some sort of auto-swiping cleanup feature. Like if bugs splatter the shield over the camera, the shield seems to rotate and move to fresh screen. How does that work?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

A lot of onboard footage I see has some sort of auto-swiping cleanup feature. Like if bugs splatter the shield over the camera, the shield seems to rotate and move to fresh screen. How does that work?
If it's the same as the ones I've seen, it's like a big version of an old 110 film cassette, running reel-to-reel clear plastic across the front of the lens.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

meatpimp posted:

For those near Pocono, this wouldn't be a bad way to spend $100:

Drive a Lamborghini on a Racetrack
http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/Philadelphia/Other/19462

I've seen these deals before and they seem cool on the surface, but if you read the fine print they look really boring. $100 for one lap after they build it up with simulators and segways. That's not enough time to get remotely comfortable with the car to even enjoy the drive.
On a racetrack, almost any car is a really good time, so put that $100 towards a track day with your car or renting a Miata (~$500) and get like 50+ laps.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Photographer uploaded his pictures.

http://imgracing.com/Gallery/Default.aspx?Year=2012&Album=2012-07-14

(My hosting)

Starting grid for one of the FRCCA races.

Starting grid

Starting grid for the ESRs

Pretty GTR running in the TT

Friend's Prelude in the Small Bore Sprint Rae

Engage smokescreen!

DE participant

How many gopros can we shove in a car?

Fun little Mini

Another one of that Audi

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd do this. Hell, part of the reason I've never gone much for a track day is because I've never had anything that I could track without worrying about the cost to repair / replace, and without ruining it for daily use (before I sold it the Miata definitely was cheap enough to track, but I'd need to put a rollbar in it - and any bar tall enough to pass for me would mean no top of any sort would ever work).

Maybe in a few years when the MS3 has 200k miles and I've bought my wife something newer...

I'm considering this myself. Out here I really only use the car for fun/track days, I don't actually need it for anything because the train system here is excellent. I'm thinking barely streetable with some safety equipment (full rollbar setup, harnesses etc) now.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Is anyone else planning to be at Buttonwillow this weekend? Hot and dry, peaking in the low 90s, and Speed Ventures has a ton of room
:getin:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Admirable Gusto posted:

Is anyone else planning to be at Buttonwillow this weekend? Hot and dry, peaking in the low 90s, and Speed Ventures has a ton of room

One day, I'd love to get my car out west and drive some of the tracks there. One day...

Sooooooooo, anyone interested in a running a night race or night HPDE at Pocono Raceway - North Course on Sept 8th? I'm already registered to race the impreza. The event is in support of a great foundation, the Motorsports Rehabilitation Foundation. Stealing their own description of what they do:

quote:

Motorsports Rehabilitation Foundation (MRF) is a nonprofit 501(c) (3) corporation whose mission is to provide financial assistance to those who have become injured or have perished while participating in a sanctioned motorsports event. MRF provides financial assistance to injured participants of any sanctioned event whether involving automobiles, motorcycles, trucks, boats, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc at any level whether Professional, Amateur, Club, etc. Please do not hesitate to contact us and find out if your organization qualifies for MRF assistance.

For more information on MRF go to https://www.gomrf.org

Race Registration

HPDE Registration

It looks like entries are very limited and it is a steal for the price ($195). And how often do you get to race at night?

Click for more info

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Admirable Gusto posted:

Aww I would've totally gona to this track day but it's too late now.. Post sooner so I can plan on it :)

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Do any of you have tips for night racing?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Know the track. Well.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Empty your bowels beforehand. Lots of lights and angle them out to find apexes. Turn your mirrors away from your face, they are useless except to completely blind you. Also if you're doing Chump/Lemons get the HID lights or just sit out the night.

Everything looks like this:

Until it looks like this:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

FatCow posted:

Until it looks like this:

Hah, this should be interesting. The track will be lit so it won't be that dark. Good tip about the mirrors. Luckily I have tons of auxiliary lightning. Some Hella FF1000 driving beams, PIAA 60XT fogs, and the stock lights. So I should be aiming the FF1000s for the corners and not straight ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

c355n4 posted:

Hah, this should be interesting. The track will be lit so it won't be that dark. Good tip about the mirrors. Luckily I have tons of auxiliary lightning. Some Hella FF1000 driving beams, PIAA 60XT fogs, and the stock lights. So I should be aiming the FF1000s for the corners and not straight ahead.

gently caress you.
(...not jealous)

Having the track lit is huge. VIR doesn't have much (read: any) lighting outside of the pits. It made the last corner somewhat interesting (super banked, plenty of passing opportunity for the brave).