Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why not stick an SSD and new battery in your Macbook?

Also, what makes you think a 13" Air is 'not very good'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What's the standard todo list when preparing a 2011 iMac with Lion for sale?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kilometers Davis posted:

What's the standard todo list when preparing a 2011 iMac with Lion for sale?

Secure wipe the disk, re-install, clean it up real good, take good pictures, put on CL/eBay/SA-Mart

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Bob Morales posted:

Why not stick an SSD and new battery in your Macbook?

Also, what makes you think a 13" Air is 'not very good'?

I guess I could, though it would still be very bulky and heavy, and an SSD of that size would cost a lot.

And what I meant was getting a 13" Air that was a "not very good" version of it to save money because I'd be using it as a holdover until a more robust machine after grad school, as contrasted with investing more in a top of the line machine right now and expecting it to last me several years.

If these seem like weird / dumb ways to think about this they probably are!!

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

A refurb air would more than suit your needs, and be a significant improvement for not that much money ( <1k)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Petey posted:

I guess I could, though it would still be very bulky and heavy, and an SSD of that size would cost a lot.

And what I meant was getting a 13" Air that was a "not very good" version of it to save money because I'd be using it as a holdover until a more robust machine after grad school, as contrasted with investing more in a top of the line machine right now and expecting it to last me several years.

If these seem like weird / dumb ways to think about this they probably are!!

256GB SSD's are like $160 if you watch Slickdeals

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Consider the possibility of selling the Air once you know your situation next year rather than holding onto it indefinitely. You can save money now and not have to live with a "not very good" machine long term.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow man, my loving iMac is the most disappointing thing I have ever bought. A loving 1500 dollar computer that can't even connect to the internet. I have spent 5+ hours on the phone with tech support and they never do anything. Just give me a new computer this thing is broken and it's 2 months old. Jesus. I've probably spent 10000 dollars on Apple poo poo in my life but after this I am done.

damaca
Feb 7, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Wow man, my loving iMac is the most disappointing thing I have ever bought. A loving 1500 dollar computer that can't even connect to the internet. I have spent 5+ hours on the phone with tech support and they never do anything. Just give me a new computer this thing is broken and it's 2 months old. Jesus. I've probably spent 10000 dollars on Apple poo poo in my life but after this I am done.

Have you tried it at a friend's house? I've found certain routers to simply ignore my macbook when I tried to connect.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

NESguerilla posted:

What are the things you've tried? Can't you get warranty service?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Off the top of my head I have tried reset pram,new user, DNS change, erasing all other networks, erasing some "corrupted" files, moving router +probably 50 other things tech support guys ask me to do. It never works. I am lucky if I can get online for 5 minutes without it kicking me off and get's worse every day.

It's still under warranty but they always ask me to call back again before they have to "escalate" it. It's broken. It was broken the day i got it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 13, 2012

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Put a USB Wifi adapter in it. Does it work or same issue?

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Just noticed this morning that my retina macbook pro (which I've had for 3 days or so now) has image retention. It is only visible when the background is a dark colour (I noticed when switching resolution and the screen goes all blue - now I've set my desktop to solid grey and it's very visible), but it happens when something is on the screen for just a few minutes, and it seems to last maybe 10 minutes.

I've made an appointment with the genius bar for Monday, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences with this? is it worth getting it replaced or is the replacement going to be the same? I don't care about it really as long as it stays as it is. If it gets worse over time then it's just going to annoy me. And the laptop is perfect apart from that so I don't want to replace it for the replacement to have the same problem as well as some others!

Also, if I was to get it replaced, is it likely Apple would allow me to keep a hold of the current one until the replacement arrived? I don't feel like going without a laptop for 3 weeks.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Off the top of my head I have tried reset pram,new user, DNS change, erasing all other networks, erasing some "corrupted" files, moving router +probably 50 other things tech support guys ask me to do. It never works. I am lucky if I can get online for 5 minutes without it kicking me off and get's worse every day.

It's still under warranty but they always ask me to call back again before they have to "escalate" it. It's broken. It was broken the day i got it.

What model is it? I had terrible wifi problems with my 27" Mid-2010 iMac in Lion, until I found some guy who was having the exact same problems and eventually replaced/hacked the wifi driver to use the old Snow Leopard driver, and it's been flawless since.

I think it had to do with the specific wifi chipset in this model.

http://rys.sommefeldt.com/2011/09/04/osx-lion-wifi.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Just noticed this morning that my retina macbook pro (which I've had for 3 days or so now) has image retention. It is only visible when the background is a dark colour (I noticed when switching resolution and the screen goes all blue - now I've set my desktop to solid grey and it's very visible), but it happens when something is on the screen for just a few minutes, and it seems to last maybe 10 minutes.

I've made an appointment with the genius bar for Monday, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences with this? is it worth getting it replaced or is the replacement going to be the same? I don't care about it really as long as it stays as it is. If it gets worse over time then it's just going to annoy me. And the laptop is perfect apart from that so I don't want to replace it for the replacement to have the same problem as well as some others!

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/27/some-retina-macbook-pro-users-experiencing-display-ghosting/

NESguerilla posted:

Maybe your router is the piece of poo poo. That has to be frustrating and I wouldn't call using a hacked driver from another version of OS X as a 'fix'

eames
May 9, 2009

My late 2010 C2D MBA won't turn on anymore after it completely ran out of battery earlier today.

The light on the MagSafe connector is amber after 5h of charging, I've tried two different chargers without success.
I also tried resetting the SMC and PMC, no dice. The machine stays off when the power button is pressed.
Is there anything else I should try before opening the case in an attempt to temporarily disconnect the battery?

(this is my dev machine running 10.8 12A269 but it seems like a hardware issue.)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe your router is the piece of poo poo. That has to be frustrating and I wouldn't call using a hacked driver from another version of OS X as a 'fix'

Literally every other machine on my network connects to the router just fine, minus the iMac, and the iMac worked fine before it had Lion on it. Two iPhones, an iPad, a 2008 Macbook and a 2007 Macbook Pro all online without problems. The router is a WRT54GL with DD-WRT on it.

A hacked driver isn't necessarily a fix but at least I can stay connected to the router now, and it's not that scary of a process to make it work. I was pretty bummed when I started having problems.

I guess another option would be to take it to an Apple Store and have them diagnose it, but they'll just tell you to buy an airport extreme.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

jink posted:

I am having problems with screen backlight uniformity on my MBPr. It isn't 95%+ uniform like my 2010 MBP. Whites are dim in a couple of spots which is noticeable when sliding a window or space left to right or vise-versa. I am very sensitive to this; I purchase high quality IPS screens to prevent the backlight uniformity issues.

Does anyone have a great, uniformly lit retina screen?

Going through with an exchange for a replacement. Already missing the IPS screen.

4 weeks until I have another retina. I hope LG or whatever supplier of these LCD panels have resolved their issues.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

NESguerilla posted:

If it was broken the day you got it, you should have returned it. If you take it to an Apple Store now, they'll probably replace the AirPort card and that's it. (Also creating a new user will never help troubleshoot network issues).

You can also try trashing the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder to see if it helps. Make sure to restart after trashing it.

manero posted:

Literally every other machine on my network connects to the router just fine, minus the iMac, and the iMac worked fine before it had Lion on it. Two iPhones, an iPad, a 2008 Macbook and a 2007 Macbook Pro all online without problems. The router is a WRT54GL with DD-WRT on it.

I don't know man, a seven year old router sounds pretty lovely to me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

eames posted:

My late 2010 C2D MBA won't turn on anymore after it completely ran out of battery earlier today.

The light on the MagSafe connector is amber after 5h of charging, I've tried two different chargers without success.
I also tried resetting the SMC and PMC, no dice. The machine stays off when the power button is pressed.
Is there anything else I should try before opening the case in an attempt to temporarily disconnect the battery?

(this is my dev machine running 10.8 12A269 but it seems like a hardware issue.)

Nope, but be careful. The battery and its cable are delicate and it's definitely not meant to be user replaceable. It's like one big gel pack.

Hope you have those special pentalobe drivers, because if you take it to the Fruit Stand later and they see tool marks all over the screws the techs might get upset.

You might just want to take it to the Fruit Stand to begin with rather than shitcan your warranty, if it's still good.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
$999
MacBook Air Ivy Bridge Core i5 Dual 1.8GHz 13"

http://dealmac.com/Mac-Book-Air-Ivy-Bridge-Core-i5-Dual-1.8-GHz-13-Laptop-for-999-pickup-at-Frys/593840.html

--------------------------------------------

I finally said gently caress it and went to Fry's today and grabbed one of these. $1077.43 after California sales tax. I am looking for 5+ years of service so hopefully it will last.

What was the goon-proof and preferred case for this guy right now? I don't want to snap it in half after 2 weeks in my backpack (I am a angry beast and hulk smash everything).

EDIT: Holy poo poo this thing is amazing, especially the display/resolution compared to my 3+ year old 800x1200 Lenovo and HP work grunt windows laptops. Thank you Apple you magnificent evil bastards.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 13, 2012

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

$999

http://dealmac.com/Mac-Book-Air-Ivy-Bridge-Core-i5-Dual-1.8-GHz-13-Laptop-for-999-pickup-at-Frys/593840.html

I finally said gently caress it and went to Fry's today and grabbed one of these. $1077.43 after California sales tax. I am looking for 5+ years of service so hopefully it will last.

What was the goon-proof and preferred case for this guy right now? I don't want to snap it in half after 2 weeks in my backpack (I am a angry beast and hulk smash everything).

My Retina MBP just shipped but holy poo poo is that a good deal.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Keyser S0ze posted:

$999

In store pickup only? drat. I'm in NH :(

I've always bought refurbished and this is my first time on DealMac. Are deals like this common?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

$999

I'm happy with no case, learn to not hulk smash your 1k item. I carry my 2011 MBA daily and use it in a variety of circumstances and have had no damage done to it. You might scratch the aluminum but, I don't mind and I don't think it will have hardly any impact on resale.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Scratches most definitely affect resale. Though I am a fan of no case myself.

If you are worried I'd look into an invisible shield for the scratches though.

I'm looking for a good case / skin for my upcoming Retina. Any suggestions?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

1997 posted:

If it was broken the day you got it, you should have returned it. If you take it to an Apple Store now, they'll probably replace the AirPort card and that's it. (Also creating a new user will never help troubleshoot network issues).

When I bought it, it would kick me off every few hours and I assumed it was my router. For lack of a better term, it's degraded over the last 2 months and now i can rarely go online for more than 5 minutes without getting kicked off and half the time it won't even reconnect.

Bob Morales posted:

My network works great for over a dozen other things in the house including multiple MBP's so I doubt it.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Just a heads up if anyone had theirs shipped to store... my order status was stuck on "processing order" for 8 days. I went in to see what was up and it's been waiting to be picked up.

It's a stock 13" Air w/8GB boost, seems great so far, but the strip above the row of function keys is incredibly hot. My last Air went poof... any reason I should be concerned about this one?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

hedgecore posted:

Just a heads up if anyone had theirs shipped to store... my order status was stuck on "processing order" for 8 days. I went in to see what was up and it's been waiting to be picked up.

It's a stock 13" Air w/8GB boost, seems great so far, but the strip above the row of function keys is incredibly hot. My last Air went poof... any reason I should be concerned about this one?

My air gets ridiculously hot above the F keys while doing intensive things- its been running fine for a year with several days a week of intensive work.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

NESguerilla posted:

My network works great for over a dozen other things in the house including multiple MBP's so I doubt it.

Just curious, is it a Netgear router?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

actiontec Q1000.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Oh yeah that one is terrible. I used to have that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

iMacs with wifi problems isn't anything new. I really doubt getting a different router will fix it. My 2011 iMac's wifi became broken after some update and it took months for Apple to release a patch to fix it. I've also had a lot of problems with a 24" 2008 iMac and at this point I probably won't buy another iMac again.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Actiontec router that Verizon FIOS used to provide for FIOS customers was infamous for having a miniscule NAT table size with certain models. Maybe that's the case here..

Did you check to see if it's running the latest firmware, and if not, update it?

Other than that, Google says putting the Q1000 in bridged mode and letting a more robust router do the NAT routing might resolve things.

If it was working before with all the devices you mentioned maybe the iMac was just the one straw that broke the router's back. Did you try connecting it wired?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 14, 2012

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Binary Badger posted:

The Actiontec router that Verizon FIOS used to provide for FIOS customers was infamous for having a miniscule NAT table size with certain models. Maybe that's the case here..

Did you check to see if it's running the latest firmware, and if not, update it?

Other than that, Google says putting the Q1000 in bridged mode and letting a more robust router do the NAT routing might resolve things.

If it was working before with all the devices you mentioned maybe the iMac was just the one straw that broke the router's back. Did you try connecting it wired?
In addition to what Binary Badger has suggested, if you have a smartphone you can tether have you tried using the hotspot from it and seeing if you get kicked off? If you don't, then it's almost certainly the iMac not liking something about your access point.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

NESguerilla posted:

The problem has Give Up written all over it - it's a computer brought to you by the same people who invented the right way to hold a cell phone. Even if they care about the problem (unlikely), the chain of responsibility goes through a hundred different contractors, companies, oceans, language barriers, if it makes it through all that (unlikely), the chain ends at one of the two people in the entire world that actually sit down and write those drivers, and that dude will, without a doubt, blame the other dude.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My 2010's Wi-Fi that got broken by 10.7.5 is working again in Mountain Lion, so I guess I'm back to not hating it. :)

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
You can also just replace the wireless card, too. Buy a Broadcom
card, you can get a stock-equivalent part on eBay for like $12.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Continued playing around with the new MBA this afternoon and I loaded Firefox/Thunderbird, Vlc and some other tools today and they all are working flawlessly. Sharing and file access with my server and other pos laptops and Buffalo NAS are working fine also.

The only issue I ran into with the new MBA was getting it to print to my Canon MP530 through my Win 7 server machine. Apparently this is a pretty popular problem.

Nothing I found would work (use ip address, bonjour, some "Cups" crap - which took my right back to 1997 linux days and didn't work) until I finally found a helpful thread on the apple forums that suggested downloading some Gutenprint drivers.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3849321?start=15&tstart=0

Boom, prints like a champ now.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I'm definitely ruined. After only one day I no longer want to use any computer that isn't a retina display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spam Forest
Jul 14, 2012
Here's another "what should I buy" for you. I'm currently a student doing design and some programming. I'm typically running Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Eclipse. Sometimes MS office, although I try to avoid that.

My current and only Mac is an early 2008 15" MacBook Pro. It's done me well over the past 3.5 years and I almost hate to part with it. But it's got a few problems:

- With 2GB of RAM, programs often crash.
- I'm still using OS X 10.5 (Leopard).
- The battery is toast.
- I find it too heavy to carry around.

The simple solution here is probably to take what I've got, upgrade the RAM, install a SSD, buy a new battery, upgrade to Snow Leopard (or Lion?), and get a new backpack. However I'm reluctant to do so because this computer has survived only due to AppleCare. The screen has been replaced twice and the logic board once. Now AppleCare has expired, and I don't want to put money into a machine that might not have much longevity.

The ideal setup I'm looking at is a laptop portable enough to take with me every day, with enough power for times when I have to get some work done. At home, I'd have a computer with the power I need, or at least enough to keep Illustrator peppy. If money were no object I'd get a Retina and a Mac Pro. I'm hoping to keep this around $2000, tops. Preferably less.

Here are some of the setups I'm considering:

MacBook Pro 15" non-retina: Great, except for the weight. And I still can't wrap my head around this being more expensive than the MacBook Pro Retina when given similar specs.

MacBook Air 13" with a hackintosh or Mac Mini. Between the screen size and power, I'm really unsure about using Illustrator and InDesign on a MacBook Air. I'm also unsure if I want to be delving into hackintoshes.

MacBook Pro 13" with a hackintosh or Mac Mini. I think I've gone cross eyed trying to figure out the difference in performance between the 13" Air and the 13" Pro. It seems like a contest between weight and future upgrades, not power.

MacBook Air 11" with an iMac. I think I'll be happy with an iMac, especially if I can swing a 27". Not feeling so hot about trying to run anything by Adobe on the 11" MacBook Air.

I'd be glad for any suggestions, either from this list or if you think I've missed something.