Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Aisha posted:

All of XK's posts in this thread have been to defend rape jokes (even going so far as to say that they do rape victims a favor!).

No, all my posts have been to defend the freedom of comedians to cover whatever topic they please. I view comedians as having the modern role of a court jester. It is the role of the jester to make light of topics that are otherwise difficult to approach, as such they should have free reign. I think Carlos Mencia, and Jeff Dunham have lowbrow racist acts, I don't criticize their content or think they should stop, I just tell people I think they are lovely comedians, and I don't give them my business. They fulfill a role in society, and are sometimes the only venue through which sensitive issues can be addressed in a public manner.

Aisha posted:

Um, no, that is not "my issue". The answer to your question is "it depends on context", same with anything else.

The context is that it was a comedian doing a performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ariza posted:

I love Amy Schumer and she's probably the closest to Jeselnik in style that I've found. Just like him though, she's only got the one album and I've already heard it a dozen times.

I had never heard him before, so thanks! He reminds me of Jimmy Carr in that after five minutes I've heard so many jokes that I'm exhausted. He doesn't seem to be as punny as Carr and I haven't decided if that's a good or a bad thing. He also seems to talk about loving young girls a lot less and that's always a plus, as I find it kind of creepy.

I'll throw Gary Delaney out there as well. Not sure how easy his stuff is to find but he's very, very funny.

Also, congrats to all on turning this into the premier rape humour discussion thread on the Internet. I'm particularly impressed at the way no one is budging from their opinion so it's less an argument and more people shouting their opinions into the Internet.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Have you seen the name of the subforum?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Also, congrats to all on turning this into the premier rape humour discussion thread on the Internet. I'm particularly impressed at the way no one is budging from their opinion so it's less an argument and more people shouting their opinions into the Internet.

Once I saw the comic book movie thread in CD turn into a four page argument about whether or not high heels and Scarlet Johanson having boobs were inherently sexist, I gave up on being surprised about what conversation could devolve into on SA.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

Once I saw the comic book movie thread in CD turn into a four page argument about whether or not high heels and Scarlet Johanson having boobs were inherently sexist, I gave up on being surprised about what conversation could devolve into on SA.

One of the first lessons I learned here is that even though it's one of the best places on the Internet, SA is still on the Internet.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Aisha posted:

I don't want to say "rape jokes are off limits", rather it is people's right (and duty) to call out rape jokes which make light of or trivialize rape, as well those who support them.

Is not making light of something or trivializing it, a loving joke? I swear to god, do people forget that we are currently having an argument about the trivialization of tragic events and turning them into comedy on the website that created, and goldminded this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=134

Did SA ever make a public apology for this? I seriously wonder now. I really doubt it. I totally forgot that the same argument happened from this and this current one going on.

I guess I just don't get this debate in any way shape or form. What really is there to debate? It's wrong to heckle, it's also wrong to wish rape upon someone. Comedy does not have an allegiance or obligation to being moral or immoral. Period. Comedy is beyond the comedian themselves. It is so loving narcissistic to me that someone would actually say that you should call people out for supporting comedy.

Lastly, am I a horrible person for finding it funny that arguably one of the most cute, majestic, and intelligent animal on the planet, the dolphin is the only other animal that is capable of rape?

Veskit fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 14, 2012

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
If you guys feel this bad about the fact that people are better about calling out sexism on this board now imagine how the non-sexists felt during all the years when it was never called out?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I feel bad because this isn't a discussion that's going anywhere. No one is learning anything, no one has budged from the opinion they had when they started. Each side is locked in their own echo chamber and it's become loving tedious.

joff_b
Aug 5, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I feel bad because this isn't a discussion that's going anywhere. No one is learning anything, no one has budged from the opinion they had when they started. Each side is locked in their own echo chamber and it's become loving tedious.

I feel I've learned quite a bit from sitting here trying to come up with logic and reasons to defend comedians and people saying rape jokes. I have no echo chamber other than me sitting there trying to come up with reasoning and counter-arguments for why I should be able to laugh at lovely things (is my head an echo chamber? I clearly don't have a brain, so yes). I realised that the whole "if it was a woman saying it..." line of argument is worthless and it goes nowhere, as seen with a few posts in the thread. I learned some facts and stats about rape and actually came up with some kind of argument, which was at least a change from my initial, formless and confused knee-jerk reaction of "shut up you can't tell me what to laugh at!"

By your metric, for a discussion to be good or worthwhile does someone actually have to change their opinion, does someone have to win? Because I'm pretty sure this is a topic that's a massive grey area with no clear right or wrong. Basically I think it's pretty lovely for you to jump in at the end and call us all idiots for having a discussion, there's no risk for you and you get to be the superior guy (you're probably right that the discussion stank though).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I wasn't calling anyone an idiot. The posts have been in general well reasoned and full of salient points, and no, someone doesn't have to win the argument for it to be worthwhile, but there's been hardly any movement or concession from either side towards a consensus and that's why I think it's become a waste of time. It wasn't petering out, or I wouldn't have bothered saying anything, it was the same arguments being tossed out over and over.

Sorry if it came across that I was calling anyone stupid, because that wasn't the intent. I was trying to say that I think the discussion had run it's course and that nothing was changing. I will concede I came across as a dick in the process.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Let's share stories of our first open mic experiences instead of rapetalk!

I'll go first, but I'll do it in point form!

-I didn't tell anyone I was doing it because I didn't want false laughter or cheering from friends and family in the audience.
-I sneaked away to Toronto, paid 4 dollars, and got five minutes in front of 20 or so people, more than half of which were just comics waiting to get their five minutes.
-Comics are hateful, jealous people as it is, and Toronto is nicknamed "Screwface Capital" for the complete lack of support it gives to live acts, so it was a hard room.
-My first joke got a great laugh which felt good, but every joke after that died painfully.
-I thought I had 5 minutes of material but really I only had about 3
-It was terrifying and gave me terrible anxiety before (and even worse when I relived it for weeks after) and, although I felt proud that I had actually done it, and I expected it not to go perfectly, it took me a long time to pluck up the courage to do it again

Anyone else?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DannoMack posted:

I'll go first, but I'll do it in point form!

-I didn't tell anyone I was doing it because I didn't want false laughter or cheering from friends and family in the audience.
-I sneaked away to Toronto, paid 4 dollars, and got five minutes in front of 20 or so people, more than half of which were just comics waiting to get their five minutes.
-Comics are hateful, jealous people as it is, and Toronto is nicknamed "Screwface Capital" for the complete lack of support it gives to live acts, so it was a hard room.
-My first joke got a great laugh which felt good, but every joke after that died painfully.
-I thought I had 5 minutes of material but really I only had about 3
-It was terrifying and gave me terrible anxiety before (and even worse when I relived it for weeks after) and, although I felt proud that I had actually done it, and I expected it not to go perfectly, it took me a long time to pluck up the courage to do it again

Anyone else?

God, I wish I had anything approaching the guts to get on stage and do this - well done for actually getting up there - how often do you do it now?

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Aahahahha thanks, I decided on Monday that I'm putting my name in for a chance at time at an open mic (1st time) on Sunday, and I just read your post, realized today was Saturday, did some subtraction and had a little baby panic attack :toot:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DannoMack posted:

Anyone else?

-I set myself a goal to do my first open mic before my birthday, and managed to get in on the very last one I could.
-I only told my best friend to come because I knew he wouldn't bullshit me about how I did.
-I sat in my car outside for half an hour before and almost bailed because I was convinced all my jokes were terrible.
-As the guy before me was finishing up, my heart started beating so fast that I thought I was having a heart attack.
-I couldn't hear anyone laughing, but after listening to my recording of it, I got a few laughs. It probably helped that most of the people before me were terrible.

In other news, Matt Braunger's stand-up special is on CC tonight at 11. Matt Braunger is part of a crew of guys who came up in Chicago who are pretty much all great, including TJ Miller, Kyle Kinane, Hannibal Burress, Kumail Nanjiani, Pete Holmes, etc. and is hilarious. Y'all should check it out.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

DannoMack posted:

I promised a friend I would do it if he did it. The day came and all my material sucked. I didn't want to go back on my promise so I just ate a subway sandwich on stage tell I got booed off. Right before they kicked me off I opened a beer I had brought in my bag using only my feet and drank it with no hands. They made me clean up the remnants of the sandwich (clean up your act was the guys exact words), then kicked me out of the club.

My buddy is still doing stand up to this day.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 14, 2012

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

TheAbortionator posted:

I promised a friend I would do it if he did it. The day came and all my material sucked. I didn't want to go back on my promise so I just ate a subway sandwich on stage tell I got booed off. Right before they kicked me off I opened a beer I had brought in my bag using only my feet and drank it with no hands. They made me clean up the remnants of the sandwich (clean up your act was the guys exact words), then kicked me out of the club.

My buddy is still doing stand up to this day.

I really couldn't get my feet anywhere close to my mouth. Impressive!

I really want to go to an open mic and I even have some material...but I live in a small town. In Germany. :smith:

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

God, I wish I had anything approaching the guts to get on stage and do this - well done for actually getting up there - how often do you do it now?

I've never heard a comedian tell the story of their first time on stage and have it go well. Seinfeld said he bombed his first time on talking funny. Louis said he only had 90 seconds of material and it bombed. Letterman was on Alec Baldwin's podcast the other day and said he bombed his first time, too. Even if a comic's first time went really well I am willing to bet they'd lie and say they died because that's just part of "paying your dues." Accepting I was going up there to die a horrible death is the only thing that made me able to do it.

I only do it once or twice a month now because I live in a small town for work and the only clubs I know of are in Toronto, which is around 90 minutes away. I'm quitting my job in September and getting a lovely one at a bagel shoppe in TO so I can try and get on stage at least once a week.

The joy of doing well only lasts a few minutes and the pain of dying makes me inconsolable for days after. It's lovely as hell but somehow worth it and I don't know why.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I think what the famous comedians are saying about their first time on stage really depends on whatever narrative they're trying to paint at that moment. Obviously their first performance went well enough to want to do it again.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

DannoMack posted:

I've never heard a comedian tell the story of their first time on stage and have it go well.

Dave Chappelle is the only comedian I can think of that said he did a good job during his first time on stage (during Inside The Actor's Studio) and I believe him. The way he told the story, he looked like a kid so I bet that made the audience more sympathetic towards him.

Which made the story of him getting booed off the stage at the Apollo a few weeks later even better.

But he had a rocket type career.

jyrka posted:

I think what the famous comedians are saying about their first time on stage really depends on whatever narrative they're trying to paint at that moment. Obviously their first performance went well enough to want to do it again.

I doubt it. Most comedians talk about how they ate complete balls on stage the first time but the rush of being in front of an audience made them strive to try to become better.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Popelmon posted:

I really want to go to an open mic and I even have some material...but I live in a small town. In Germany. :smith:

This might be a broad, stupid question, but what is stand-up like in Germany? I guess I only ask because countries like England, France, and obviously Canada/America have their own distinct flavor and tropes. England being more manic and stream of conscious, France being a bit more absurd and goofball, etc.

My cousin is from Germany, and he's a huge stand-up comedy fan, but he really only follows American acts.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
I haven't actually gone up and done a set, but I did go scope one out a few weeks ago. There was a kid who got up on stage and I poo poo you not I have never seen a human being more terrified in my life. Like he was shaking so hard that his notecard looked like a hand-fan. But the best part was that his material was really funny. The one joke that sticks out in my mind is, okay, the kid is standing up there, he's shaking like a dry leaf in a strong wind, and he goes "I uh, I don't like kids, uh, I but I like goats." I was sitting there wondering if it was an act.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
My first time at an open mic was for a bunch of Cheesecake Factory employees. I thought for some reason that they'd enjoy me making fun of the high prices and terribly unhealthy food at the Cheesecake Factory.

I was wrong!

I did the same mic again a week later and tape recorded it. Here's video of me doing stand-up for the second time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y50E9UykRRE

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

jyrka posted:

I think whether or not they're going to continue to do comedy is decided well before their first open mic. It takes a hosed up kinda person to try and do comedy for a living I think. If they're not hosed up enough and they die, they'll quit and live a fulfilling life doing one of the million possible fallbacks they have. If they're desperate for validation then bombing won't deter them and they'll do it either until they drink themselves to death or until they are no longer hosed up.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Popelmon posted:

DangerDummy! posted:

This might be a broad, stupid question, but what is stand-up like in Germany?
I also want to know the answer to this question. The only German stand-up comedian I know is Henning Wehn, but I have only watched his panel show appearances in The Unbelievable Truth and that one episode of QI. Any other German stand-up worth something?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I've been developing a 3/5min set that I actually am pretty proud of and think is pretty funny, but I'd have to drive about 2 hours away to go to any place that does a comedy open mic. Really anxious to do it though, even with all the bombing stories.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I did an open mic in January, I had a bunch of material all set, but decided I didn't need to bring it up on stage with me, because I'm an actor and can memorize poo poo, so I tell two jokes (which actually kind of got laughs), promptly forget all of my other ones, and apologized and darted off the stage. I brought friends with me to mine, and they reassured me, but I knew it was a hilarious bomb. I don't think I'll be doing that again. I'm much more of an improv guy.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Yeah I like improv because I am incapable of writing jokes and not enough has happened to me to just be able to tell funny stories.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

oh so just saw Brett Gelman, Jon Daly, Paul Scheer, and Scott Aukerman live. They loving own. Brett Gelman knows how to tell it like it is and it is not okay to make fun of someone who got hit by lightening.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Politicalrancor posted:

oh so just saw Brett Gelman, Jon Daly, Paul Scheer, and Scott Aukerman live. They loving own. Brett Gelman knows how to tell it like it is and it is not okay to make fun of someone who got hit by lightening.

Oh so now that the debate is over you're back? Not gonna expound upon your stupid loving post a couple of pages back acting so superior and above all us misogynists? And it's spelled lightning. You moron.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I forgot about this thread! I will post something about the standup scene in Germany tomorrow!

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Oh so now that the debate is over you're back? Not gonna expound upon your stupid loving post a couple of pages back acting so superior and above all us misogynists? And it's spelled lightning. You moron.

Ok thanks, cause I didn't spell it that way on purpose.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Politicalrancor posted:

Ok thanks, cause I didn't spell it that way on purpose.

Seriously though, please expand upon your original post. You coming in here, spraying that garbage and blanketing everyone in it, then hightailing it when you receive a few well thought out and from the heart posts is loving clown shoes.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Also, I know a lot of hardcore comedy fans and the comedians are getting fatigued of having this conversation every few months but I think it's important.

As feminism gains more power(that's not necessarily a bad thing), and society itself becomes smarter and more intellectual about matters such as these, it's important for both sides to have a heart-to-heart about comedy from time to time.

I only hope that people can realize that both sides are completely valid and deserving of respect. Daniel Tosh deserved to get called out for his reactionary, angry comment but at the same time someone saying that people who find humor in dark and traumatic poo poo are not bad people or woman haters and comics who create humor in that atmosphere just want to make people laugh and are probably not bad people either. It's up to people(like several in this very thread) to call some of the bad ones out from time to time. Balance is key.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Chromatic posted:

Seriously though, please expand upon your original post. You coming in here, spraying that garbage and blanketing everyone in it, then hightailing it when you receive a few well thought out and from the heart posts is loving clown shoes.

no, drop it. I don't want or need to talk about it because there is no point in arguing over it because no one will change their minds, which is why I didn't come in and defend it in the first place.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

You're a turd and your posts suck, case in point http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451683&userid=131379#post404906602

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Welp, I don't think so but it's nice to be called a turd every once in a while. A little playground humor goes a long way. Anyway, do you wanna talk about stand up or continue trying to make me feel bad? Your choice, I'm easy.

Barrage
Jul 27, 2010

DannoMack posted:

-Was lucky in a few ways
-Exact same in terms of not telling a soul
-probably 80 people in the audience
-Told MC not to tell the audience it was my first time until after I was done
-Did decently (of course looking back on it now, my material was absolute garbage)
-MC announces my com-ginity, get a cheer
-MC announces we have a drop-in from a Comedian in town
-Norm McDonald comes on stage
-Says "It was that guy's first time? He was, like supernaturally calm"

Loved the story so much I didn't try stand-up again (for fear of it being a fluke) for two years.

Barrage fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 18, 2012

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's one of the best stories I've ever heard, I don't blame you.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Barrage posted:

-Was lucky in a few ways
-Exact same in terms of not telling a soul
-probably 80 people in the audience
-Told MC not to tell the audience it was my first time until after I was done
-Did decently (of course looking back on it now, my material was absolute garbage)
-MC announces my com-ginity, get a cheer
-MC announces we have a drop-in from a Comedian in town
-Norm McDonald comes on stage
-Says "It was that guy's first time? He was, like supernaturally calm"

Loved the story so much I didn't try stand-up again (for fear of it being a fluke) for two years.

That is such a good story. I like it a lot because Norm is the guy who told me I should do comedy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Politicalrancor posted:

Welp, I don't think so but it's nice to be called a turd every once in a while. A little playground humor goes a long way. Anyway, do you wanna talk about stand up or continue trying to make me feel bad? Your choice, I'm easy.

Not wanting to turn this into a dogpile, but in fairness that's the second time in this thread that you've made some sort of broad sweeping, all encompassing statement and then hosed off rather than engage with the people that replied to you. If you don't want to engage in discussion then why bother posting?

Barrage, that's an awesome story. Did you manage to speak to Norm afterwards? Pretty much all I've seen of him is his Celebrity Jeopardy appearances, I should really go find more of his stuff.

Edit: fat fingered spelling.