Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Mans posted:

The funny thing about AI in Med2 is that even attacking Rebel towns lowers your reputation. Taking cities, even if you were attacked, is also a reputation killer.

It's pretty much impossible to play Med2 unmoded with allies. Try Stainless Steel, the game is much better there.

A bit late, but this is untrue. Here is a Wiki explaining how reputation works.

The short version? In order to raise your reputation, have as many allies as you can get without needing to betray them eventually, don't be in too many wars at once, always occupy towns, release prisoners whenever it's safe to do so and ransom if it isn't. Also never give anyone towns in a peace treaty ever unless you're completely and absolutely sure that you will never again need to take it back. Chivalry, agents, and "who attacked first" don't matter at all. Arguably the "best" way to raise your reputation is to farm some hapless sucker by beating up his armies and releasing them on a regular basis without actually taking his cities.

I used this info during a vanilla game once, and got my reputation up into the "trustworthy" and "very trustworthy" levels. It's amazing how willing the AI is to give you whatever you want you when your reputation is high, especially if you've got an army or two sieging largely empty cities.

That said, the AI is hard-coded so that one of your neighbors will betray you regardless of your former relationship if you've been at perfect peace for too long. The best way to circumvent this is to be at war with one distant nation who can't do much to you at all times. That said, it CAN be handy if you've got an inconvenient alliance you'd like to be rid of without taking the penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone got some reviews of the broken crescent mod for Med2?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's my favorite Med2 mod. The game is very rich and varied and all factions are fun to play with. The only problem comes from the the devs idea that buildings should be ridiculously expensive, but that can be reduced in the text files.

I suggest not playing as the Khwarezmians, the reason the Mongols enter the map is explicitly to beat you up.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is there a way to easily change some global modifier for building cost? I'm probably going to play it with 40 units per army so if you know of a way to also cut upkeep across the board too that would be good to know.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
It's been a while, but the pace of battles is very different; victory comes less from murdering your way through the enemy lines, but from tiring them out until you can surround them or hit them in a vulnerable spot. Maintaining reserves is much more important, as it allows you to have fresh troops to come in once theirs are exhausted.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
The Parrot guns in Shogun 2 are absurd. My main conquering army had 4 of them at all times and I seemed to rarely have gun fights that lasted longer than 5 seconds.

God help your enemy if you had ships within support distance range as the barrage is insane.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just picked up Shogun 2 as part of the Steam Summer Sale. Are any of the DLC "must-have" or should I just ignore them for now and play the hell out of the basegame before worrying about adding anything else to it?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I just picked up Shogun 2 as part of the Steam Summer Sale. Are any of the DLC "must-have" or should I just ignore them for now and play the hell out of the basegame before worrying about adding anything else to it?
The Sengoku Jidai unit pack nice to have but not necessary. All the other DLC I would recommend after you play the base game for a while.
Rise of the Samurai is easily the best DLC for Shogun 2 so I would get that while it's still cheap though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I wouldn't consider any of it to be even remotely vital, though you may want to consider picking up the Fall of the Samurai expansion DLC once you've finished your Shogun 2 campaign.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You should rock through a Total War vanilla mode at least once just to see what'll be replaced/fixed when you start using mods though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thanks, I'll go through the base game first (for many, many hours).

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Picked up this whole franchise for tenbux x 2, mostly because of the good response of this thread.

TwingeCrag fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 13, 2012

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
Does anyone want to group up and play some Total War with each other? I absolutely love it and would be willin to play pretty much anytime.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Man, I was hoping that the sale might mean that there were some new people playing Shogun 2 last night. I just picked it up myself, and the first matchmaking battle I had was against a max ranked player. :suicide:

The loss didn't register for whatever reason, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

primelaw posted:

Does anyone want to group up and play some Total War with each other? I absolutely love it and would be willin to play pretty much anytime.

Well we DO have a Total War Group (guess who is an admin?)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I'm playing through RTW with Europa Barbarorum, and all my enemies seem really overpowered, and by overpowered I mean that they must be getting extra money every turn. I'm the Romans, and Epirus is just throwing stack after stack of dudes after me. I sent some spies to their cities, though, and every single one is hemorrhaging cash, at least -1000 a turn. Is this because of EB or perhaps the fact that I'm playing on Very Hard difficulty?

Do any of the big overhaul mods (EB, RTW, or Roma Surrectum) not give the AI extra money? I want things like my blockades to have an effect on the enemies' coffers and their ability to wage war.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm playing through RTW with Europa Barbarorum, and all my enemies seem really overpowered, and by overpowered I mean that they must be getting extra money every turn. I'm the Romans, and Epirus is just throwing stack after stack of dudes after me. I sent some spies to their cities, though, and every single one is hemorrhaging cash, at least -1000 a turn. Is this because of EB or perhaps the fact that I'm playing on Very Hard difficulty?

Do any of the big overhaul mods (EB, RTW, or Roma Surrectum) not give the AI extra money? I want things like my blockades to have an effect on the enemies' coffers and their ability to wage war.

The AI is dumb as a brick so it's probably for the best. I imagine the default AI at harder difficulties is entirely based around having more morale than you and cheating money

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
The AI gets lots of extra money on Very Hard. To add to this, EB has scripts that gives the AI even more money. This might feel a bit "wrong" but the recommended difficulty for EB is Very Hard for campaign, Medium for battles. Consider it compensation for the AI throwing away its units at every chance.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
EB explicitly tells you to play it on normal. Don't tempt the fates.

Captain Beans posted:

Is there a way to easily change some global modifier for building cost? I'm probably going to play it with 40 units per army so if you know of a way to also cut upkeep across the board too that would be good to know.

I wish. I only knew how to change buildings costs, i suck at "moding" MW2.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cantorsdust posted:

That's why I like my little friend the descr_strat file

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Awhile back I was playing as the Crusader States in M2TW/Stainless Steel and I eventually ran into a problem later in the game when I'd butt heads with the Seljuks: I can't do a loving thing about their goddamn Fari cavalry. They're deadly accurate and apparently pretty decent melee fighters because they chop my light cavalry (the only thing I have that can catch up to them) to bits, and seem pretty good at dodging my ranged troops' projectiles to boot. I guess I could go the Zapp Brannigan route and throw wave after wave of my men at them until they reach their kill limit run out of arrows, but there has to be a better way (I thought mercenaries might be an option, but the Crusader States get a pretty poor selection when it comes to possible Fari counters).

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

How do I stop it from saying this when I launch Rome? I verified the cache, nothing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Just restart your STEAM and presto! it works!

It does this for a lot of the older games on it now.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
I just lost a a battle on vanilla Shogun 2 when the enemy's bulletproof samurai and wako raiders beat my two of my kat sams with full atk and def upgrades, and with one of my yari sams hitting them from their rear, with my leadership general right next to them. :psyduck:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spakstik posted:

Awhile back I was playing as the Crusader States in M2TW/Stainless Steel and I eventually ran into a problem later in the game when I'd butt heads with the Seljuks: I can't do a loving thing about their goddamn Fari cavalry. They're deadly accurate and apparently pretty decent melee fighters because they chop my light cavalry (the only thing I have that can catch up to them) to bits, and seem pretty good at dodging my ranged troops' projectiles to boot. I guess I could go the Zapp Brannigan route and throw wave after wave of my men at them until they reach their kill limit run out of arrows, but there has to be a better way (I thought mercenaries might be an option, but the Crusader States get a pretty poor selection when it comes to possible Fari counters).

You either force them into sieges battles, massive crossbow stacks or muskets (can you do that as the CS?).

The best part is that after the Turks you'll have a blast fending off the Mongols!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You know what bugs me about Empire and Napoleon Total War?

The fact the prisoner mechannic from MTW2 mysteriously vanishes. Apparently in the age of enlightenment armies pretty much had no choice but to mercilessly hunt down and slaughter entire armies in miniture acts of genocide.

I can understand it getting a pass in Shogun 2 and maybe FOTS due to the whole warrior code thingy but dammit man, why can't I ransom officers and hold entire armies prisoner?

I'm pretty sure Napoleon bathing in the blood of his enemies was propaganda.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Mans posted:

You either force them into sieges battles, massive crossbow stacks or muskets (can you do that as the CS?).

The best part is that after the Turks you'll have a blast fending off the Mongols!

Regarding the Mongols, I already ran into them. I spent most of the game up to that point conquering to the east and then stopped right inside the western edge of the Khwarezmian Empire after taking two provinces that formed a bottleneck between the Caspian Sea and the Persian Gulf. My plan was to let the Khwarezmians bear the brunt of the Golden Horde's invasion, then stop the Mongols myself once they ran up against my fortresses in those two aforementioned provinces. What ended up happening is that the Mongols raided only a handful of the Khwarezmian cities (turning them into rebel towns rather than actual Golden Horde territories) and then waltzed right past my fortresses and completely surrounded Baghdad with stacks of troops. I think I could've taken them (even with the updated AI provided by the Stainless Steel guys, the computer is still pretty inept at sieges) but the sheer number of troops on screen crashed the game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

You know what bugs me about Empire and Napoleon Total War?

The fact the prisoner mechannic from MTW2 mysteriously vanishes. Apparently in the age of enlightenment armies pretty much had no choice but to mercilessly hunt down and slaughter entire armies in miniture acts of genocide.

I can understand it getting a pass in Shogun 2 and maybe FOTS due to the whole warrior code thingy but dammit man, why can't I ransom officers and hold entire armies prisoner?

I'm pretty sure Napoleon bathing in the blood of his enemies was propaganda.

1. Because the Napoleonic era didn't involve ransom of prisoners, so there's no reason to keep track of them.

2. Because the replacement mechanic changed so there's literally no reason to exchange/pay for replacements back. Pretend it's part of the abstracted resupply system if you like.

It makes perfect sense.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I wonder why they thought it was a good idea to make it so that all agents in Shogun 2 can kill all other agents. It's great having the CPU camped right outside all of my cities killing my agents as soon as I make them, and then sabotaging all of my buildings so I can't ever build anything. :allears:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
On the other hand, you can do the same to them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Prisoners were taken and exhanged in the Napoleonic Wars, what you thought these things were for regular criminals?

Officers were also exchanged too. I'd gladly would exchanged a decent captured enemy agent for a few hundred of my captured men instead of everyone just being killed.

Maybe it was changed for the slightly more generic General system we got but it still smacks of lazy design to me.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Mans posted:

I suggest not playing as the Khwarezmians, the reason the Mongols enter the map is explicitly to beat you up.

The best way to have fun* in the Stainless Steel mod is to start a high difficulty late campaign as the Khwarezmians. You start with about ten full stacks of pissed Mongols right on your doorstep and they'll siege one of your cities at the latest by turn 3. :v:

*(using the Dwarf Fortress definition of "fun")

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

In FOTS, generals can get traits to increase the cooldown times/uses of naval bombardment. If I want to take advantage of this, does my general need to be attached to the army on land, or does he need to be attached to my navy?

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
I missed the Shogun 2 super cheap sale, any chance it'll be less than 10 bux again this summer? And how does it compare to RTW? I really, really, really love Rome and can play it endlessly (vanilla). I tried the Shogun 2 demo and I got obliterated over and over again on the one battle.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Shogun 2 is the best game they've made yet, in my opinion.

Edit: S2 and its expansions/DLC also go on sale on gamersgate pretty regularly. Last time I got 4 DLC packs, Fall of the Samurai, and Rise of the Samurai for like 7 bucks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

I missed the Shogun 2 super cheap sale, any chance it'll be less than 10 bux again this summer? And how does it compare to RTW? I really, really, really love Rome and can play it endlessly (vanilla). I tried the Shogun 2 demo and I got obliterated over and over again on the one battle.

There's a good chance it's going to be a deal again on the last day of the Summer Sale, so just wait for that.

Also how are you supposed to deal with FOTS line infantry with vanilla Shogun 2 units?

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Am I the only one who had a problem with MTW2's Stainless Steel mod? I would get maybe 60 turns deep, then the next turn the game would freeze or there would be some terrible error that would prevent me from continuing. I was also looking for a mod that was similar to SS in what it changes to the strategy map, but leaves the battle units the same (since my laptop can run MTW2 at max everything on vanilla, but SS chugs along during battles with all the crap they added).

Or perhaps a similar mod for Shogun 2? Something that spices up the strategy map gameplay but leaves the real time battles and units alone? I tried that Darthmod or whatever, but it was horribly buggy and didn't work correctly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I got a question about Kingdoms, can you just play a normal short/medium/long campaign with it installed?

Or is it just a series of detailed mini campaigns with a Napoleon/Shogun 2-esqe focus?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I got a question about Kingdoms, can you just play a normal short/medium/long campaign with it installed?

Or is it just a series of detailed mini campaigns with a Napoleon/Shogun 2-esqe focus?

The second one.

Really, the best reason to get Kingdoms is just so you can play Stainless Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The Rights of Man 3 for Shogun 2 isn't bad. It does introduce new battlefield units, but they're using already existing models and textures, so there's no real slowdown. Campaign gameplay and battles are considerably spiced up and rebalanced.

Kingdoms is jsut a series of mini-campaigns, though there's some mods (Retrofit IIRC) that put its features (bunch of new units, two-handed swordsmen rebalanced etc.) over to the Medieval 2 main campaign.