Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I imagine GWScon would be nothing at all like the gooncon I went to years ago. That is, it would probably be mostly full of well adjusted people doing fun things together, as opposed to a bunch of neckbeards running around the strip shouting "internet" at each other.

Yeah. The trip to the sushi restaurant was pretty awesome, but there were a hell of a lot of, well, goons. Like, GOONY goons. You are one of the few people I still remember from that whole crazy Vegas adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Drink and Fight posted:

Awwwww that's sweet. dino how much gin have you had?

None at all, DnF. XD I was on the bus towards Fairfax, VA, and was watching that Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food. And then I started crying when I saw how proud those folks were when they churned out lovely dish after lovely dish and then managed to teach it to others! People who have never even picked up a knife before, making meatballs, or cooking pasta, or knocking up a curry. It was like a whole new world had opened up. And then he goes to that mine, and teaches that one miner how to cook. And he took to it like a duck to water!

So watching those happy moments made me think of the things that make me thankful, and I thought of you lot. :)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Dino! You're awesome

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Couldn't have asked for a better thread to wake up to! :)

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Anyone have any suggestions for what I should cook for bastille day? Looking to go french as hell today.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Halalelujah posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for what I should cook for bastille day? Looking to go french as hell today.

Bottle of wine and a cigarette.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Halalelujah posted:

Horse, of course.

dino., I want you to change. I am not going to rest until you've turned your back on your sinful lifestyle! Now, how much do you know about my good pal Jesus?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

You're talking about him not eating meat - right?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Halalelujah posted:

Ortolan with a napkin over your head.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Halalelujah posted:

The Monarchy.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Goddamn brioche dude, and serve it with a flourish and a "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!"

Edit: Also - wear a powdered wig, get syphilis, and refer to it as the 'french disease'...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just get wasted on absinthe until Bastille day cooking comes naturally.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Making boudin blanc, leeks, and potatoes anna whilst daggering!!!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:dance: My cool as heck redneck neighbor just showed up with the first food drop of the summer. She and her husband are retired and love to garden. They warned me upon moving in that they like to come around and drop off the produce to neighbors. Oh no!

Today was that day.

I've got a big grocery bag full of green leaf and romaine lettuce and two cute little Spanish sweet onions. Coming up soon are cucumbers.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

CuddleChunks posted:

:dance: My cool as heck redneck neighbor just showed up with the first food drop of the summer. She and her husband are retired and love to garden. They warned me upon moving in that they like to come around and drop off the produce to neighbors. Oh no!

Today was that day.

I've got a big grocery bag full of green leaf and romaine lettuce and two cute little Spanish sweet onions. Coming up soon are cucumbers.

Oh man, this brings back memories. My grandparents own this little house that has a garden where they grow poo poo. Every summer they end up with more plums, raspberries, cherries, zucchini, cucumbers and so on than they could possibly eat. They drop them off by the bucketload to everyone they know. :3: Good times.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

No, referring to his boyfriend as Puppy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

CuddleChunks posted:

Today was that day.

We've been inundated in our gardens for a few weeks now. The apricot trees have just finished (soooo many apricots), the early tomatoes have been good for a bit, we've had chiles, greens, plenty of radishes, and the zucchinis have begun their invasions. The basil is high, and the other herbs are doing their thing. Soon we'll have green beans and cucumbers. The mild winter means that this year the apple and pear trees, as well as the grape vines, are very heavily laden with fruit, and the harvest will be good as long as we can keep water to them. It's a very good garden year in our green valley.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

therattle posted:

No, referring to his boyfriend as Puppy.
husband, ese, by the grace of the great state of New York.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

husband, ese, by the grace of the great state of New York.
Oh yeah! One more reason to love NY.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Hat posted:

Wrong kind of meat :gay::pervert:

Also, no one would give you poo poo dino. You're awesome, plus they give it all to me :furcry:

e - why did I look at the spoilage thread :gonk:

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 15, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alinea is switching to next-style ticket reservations, and I've been trying to get a reservation for October since I already booked my tickets to chicago and all

I have a rss feed thing set up for changes to their reservation page. they keep on updating it every day with the current date, like

"As of today, July 15, we have continued to postpone release of August and September reservations. The online booking system is in final testing and will be ready to launch any day now, details will be posted here. We apologize for the ongoing inconvenience."

I have the rss thing set to play a really loud 'horns.aiff' every time a change is detected on the website, so I keep jumping out of bed and running stark naked across my house at like 2 am or whenever just to find they just altered the date.

:(

grant you're killin me here

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I have the rss thing set to play a really loud 'horns.aiff' every time a change is detected on the website, so I keep jumping out of bed and running stark naked across my house at like 2 am or whenever just to find they just altered the date.

:(

Would wearing pajamas or boxers help maybe? It might make your run a little warmer.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

What a nice thread to come back to after a crazy weekend. I like it when everyone is nice to each other.

dino: hugs

So I got a call for a job interview with a huge multinational that Wiggles would probably burst into flames of righteous indignation were I to speak its name. The exec chef got my resume, but I have no idea what the job is. I'm sure they didn't say who they were in the ad, and it was craigslist so the ad is probably expired by now anyway. Is there any polite way to ask, or should I just wing it? It could only be for a small list of positions...

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Well, I think you may have missed the boat for the best time to ask, but the question would be "I'm very sorry, I don't recall specifically applying for a job with your company. Was your ad listed under (company name) or was it a confidential listing? ... And what position is it I'm being considered for?"

Don't wing it if you have literally no idea what the job's going to be. Call up your contact if you have one and find out, because you don't want to show up unprepared for an interview. (I did this once! The job posting was totally vague, no useful info available by Internet detectiving, and I was too embarrassed to ask. And one of the first questions was basically "What's your expectation of this job's duties" or some poo poo. I did not get the job!)

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

mindphlux posted:

alinea is switching to next-style ticket reservations, and I've been trying to get a reservation for October since I already booked my tickets to chicago and all

I'm not sure if you care, but I have my friend who works at Alinea/Next checking it out for you. Do you have a specific day in mind?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Today we had a full English breakfast, we made prickly pear jelly, sour plum jam, vanilla apricot preserves, and a chicken and prune tagine for supper. It was a good food day.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I'm not sure if you care, but I have my friend who works at Alinea/Next checking it out for you. Do you have a specific day in mind?

holy moly, I totally care. that's awesome, thanks! :glomp:

yeah, I mean I'm flying to chicago specifically to eat at Alinea (my birthday present to myself :3: ) and basically have no other reason for going, so I've just been a bit anxious to make sure that can happen - it's far enough out that I'm not *that* worried, but yaknow.

we get in on Friday Oct. 12th and leave the 14th, so ideally the 12th, but 13th would also work. I don't know how the new rsvp system works (are there even seating times? is the cost the same for all times?) but I'm cool with late-rear end rsvp times to secure a table. I e-mailed their contact address to explain all this, and they were just like 'wait for the online system to drop'.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bombhand posted:

Well, I think you may have missed the boat for the best time to ask, but the question would be "I'm very sorry, I don't recall specifically applying for a job with your company. Was your ad listed under (company name) or was it a confidential listing? ... And what position is it I'm being considered for?"

Don't wing it if you have literally no idea what the job's going to be. Call up your contact if you have one and find out, because you don't want to show up unprepared for an interview. (I did this once! The job posting was totally vague, no useful info available by Internet detectiving, and I was too embarrassed to ask. And one of the first questions was basically "What's your expectation of this job's duties" or some poo poo. I did not get the job!)

I think I figured it out. I responded to one ad that mentioned no evenings and no weekends, so that's almost definitely it. Hours, pay, bennies and even the commute would be great, but it's not management and the food may well suck. Plus the company is seriously evil- to the point that would call into question my ethics re: sustainable food production. Why is it always the job you want the least that gets back to you first? Interview is either today or tomorrow, I guess I'll find out then, but I'm leaning toward no.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Weird question, perhaps Bart or HA can answer... Is there any maximum on how many pictures there can be in a single post?

Edit: Yes!!! Seems like I've finally convinced my parents to move to our town (Aarhus, Denmark) :)

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Weird question, perhaps Bart or HA can answer... Is there any maximum on how many pictures there can be in a single post?

I think the upper limit is 20 emoticons per post. The rest stop rendering. As far as picture links? Unlimited except by the max number of characters in a post (50K or something crazy).

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

mindphlux posted:

we get in on Friday Oct. 12th and leave the 14th, so ideally the 12th, but 13th would also work. I don't know how the new rsvp system works (are there even seating times? is the cost the same for all times?) but I'm cool with late-rear end rsvp times to secure a table. I e-mailed their contact address to explain all this, and they were just like 'wait for the online system to drop'.

Since you said you just emailed, he suggested you call and try to make a reso. He said it worked for him recently, and they were very friendly. If that doesn't work, he'll give me more information by next week. I passed the dates along to him, and he said that should work. :) You're one of my favorite posters, so we're going to try our damndest to make your birthday present happen.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Edit: Yes!!! Seems like I've finally convinced my parents to move to our town (Aarhus, Denmark) :)

I am working with some producers in Aarhus. They seem to like it. They do say that there is an unusually high percentage of freaks and weirdos there - now I know why.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

I am working with some producers in Aarhus. They seem to like it. They do say that there is an unusually high percentage of freaks and weirdos there - now I know why.

Yeah - those loving producers.. They breed like rats too!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

therattle posted:

Unusually high for Denmark or just in general? I know a lot of the music & film/tv scene in Aarhus, and they are among the freakiest and weirdest...

And congrats on that, H^H, someone to take care of aryan rugrats while you and the missus dine out!

e: Update on insurance situation! My cousin called me and said that the insurance company have chosen to escalate our claim, which I thought was a good thing - faster processing time, I figured, but no. Apparently this means that they believe our claim is if not outright fraudulent then at least suspiciously high. Estimated processing time increased by 4-6 weeks. If we're lucky, we'll have the plumbing fixed before the frost sets in.

Dane fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 16, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dane posted:

Unusually high for Denmark or just in general? I know a lot of the music & film/tv scene in Aarhus, and they are among the freakiest and weirdest...

And congrats on that, H^H, someone to take care of aryan rugrats while you and the missus dine out!

e: Update on insurance situation! My cousin called me and said that the insurance company have chosen to escalate our claim, which I thought was a good thing - faster processing time, I figured, but no. Apparently this means that they believe our claim is if not outright fraudulent then at least suspiciously high. Estimated processing time increased by 4-6 weeks. If we're lucky, we'll have the plumbing fixed before the frost sets in.
Man, that sucks.

I was teasing HH about the freaks - I will have to tease my Aarhus buddies instead!

Adonis Gunther
Mar 11, 2011

What goes well with sushi? I normally have dumplings but I need something else; sushi is expensive.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I pair sushi with fried chicken. The light and delicate flavors of sushi and sashimi contrast well with the crisp and hearty bite of freshly fried chicken. 100% seriouspost.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Since you said you just emailed, he suggested you call and try to make a reso. He said it worked for him recently, and they were very friendly. If that doesn't work, he'll give me more information by next week. I passed the dates along to him, and he said that should work. :) You're one of my favorite posters, so we're going to try our damndest to make your birthday present happen.

This is so sweet :allears:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Adonis Gunther posted:

What goes well with sushi? I normally have dumplings but I need something else; sushi is expensive.

Sushi goes with sushi. Sorry. Back in college I used to eat some pistachios or something and drink a glass of water before going out to sushi so that I didn't have to order as much, but I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't be ordering non sushi when out to sushi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Adonis Gunther posted:

according to my japanese cooking book which I swear by, a true japanese meal is all about variety and balance - and all eaten at the same time, not in courses. and I try to eat this way whenever I cook in the style, or eat japanese in a restaurant. all sushi or all nigiri would be boring (and expensive!)

so, instead of a giant plate of sushi, I will usually get a small assortment of sashimi or nigiri, a vinegar based dish, a few grilled items, a fried item, and usually one other cold or soybean based item. a fairly typical order at my favorite joint would be (for me and my gal)

8pc nigiri
a sunomono dish (vinegared crab or octopus with cucumber)
gomadare tofu (chilled soft tofu with sesame sauce)
torikawi ponzu (fried chicken skin in ponzu)
shishito + shitake yakitori
ten zaru udon (cold udon with tempura shrimp and dashi-soy dipping sauce)
enoki tomagotoji (small dashi based soup with mushroom and egg. god I love this soup)