Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Well, Wright's been calling this the final "flavor" of the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy, in which the flavor of the Cornetto ice cream the main character buys signifies the theme of the film. In Shaun of the Dead, it was red strawberry, which emphasized the gore and color of blood. In Hot Fuzz, it was the original blue Cornetto, symbolizing the police. Here, it's going to be green mint-chocolate chip which signifies science fiction.

I've seen that speculation before, but Wikipedia's source link only mentions the cornetto flavour, not what it would mean.

Regardless, that doesn't contradict pubcrawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Wait, so The World's End is gonna come out in 2013 after all? Last I heard was that it was set for 2014 and Wright was working on a Ant-Man film instead.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Apes-Ma posted:

Wait, so The World's End is gonna come out in 2013 after all? Last I heard was that it was set for 2014 and Wright was working on a Ant-Man film instead.

Last I heard, he got the script finalized and is just waiting for a greenlight from Marvel. Given that Marvel has like 50 movies coming in the next 3 years, he might be waiting for a while.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Apes-Ma posted:

Edgar Wright has had three or four movies that he's waiting for a greenlight on. Off the top of my head, The World's End at Universal, Ant-Man at Marvel/Disney, Baby Driver (a musical American gangster story) at Working Title, and a version of Kolchak The Night Stalker with Johnny Depp at Disney. It has literally been just a question of who was going to pull the trigger first - and Universal did, likely because they've been having a run of successful comedies and World's End probably isn't going to be hugely expensive for them.

Edgar did make a test reel for Ant-Man a month or two ago that I hear Marvel really liked, but their obvious goal right now is "set up Avengers 2", which probably doesn't have a place for Hank Pym at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if Kolchak is able to make it to a greenlight before Ant-Man (especially given the Depp factor involved there).

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
The World's End already sounds like Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Even though I haven't seen Dinosaur Project or Area 407 yet, I wholeheartedly welcome the burgeoning sub-subgenre of found amateur-cryptozoological dinosaur footage.

It represents the missing link between Peter Jackson's King Kong and Cloverfield.

I'm right there with you, man. I'm glad we're doing found footage horror/adventure movies about something other than loving ghosts.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

HoldYourFire posted:

The World's End already sounds like Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel.

And what an excellent film that was.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

An observer posted:

Yesss, thank you. In return,

Hearing that this was a "pub movie" made me think that Wright was making a Sandman movie as The World's End was a pub (more like an inn) in one of the Sandman comics. Actually in one of the best Sandman comics. A World's End movie based on said comic would rule.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I found an acceptable Dark Knight Rises poster.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

I like this. It reminds me of something from the wall of a 90s coffee shop, but in a good way.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I think the obsession with working the bat-symbol into every picture is getting too far if you're putting it on Batman himself.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like it, but does the eyeholes need to be in the shape of the logo? We can clearly see he's Batman.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I am personally disappointed that he's not eating a sandwich in this one.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm sure having the man of steel wear chainmail armour is quite important and symbolic in the movie but good god does it look stupid.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

piratepilates posted:

I'm sure having the man of steel wear chainmail armour is quite important and symbolic in the movie but good god does it look stupid.

To you maybe, I like it. At least the texture on this suit has some sort of a metaphor to it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Its going to take a hell of lot more than this poster for me to be interested in going to see it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Personally, I love the poster.

Cartoon Man posted:

Its going to take a hell of lot more than this poster for me to be interested in going to see it.

Chris Nolan is involved in it and Michael Shannon from Boardwalk Empire and Take Shelter is playing General Zod.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

teagone posted:

To you maybe, I like it. At least the texture on this suit has some sort of a metaphor to it.

Maybe if it was more subtle like the new Star Trek uniforms were, but in that poster the texture is just screaming out to you in such an annoying way, I would like it much more if it was still a smooth suit but with the pattern being smaller.

(to me)

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I absolutely adore that poster and every single inch of texture on it. That's bitching.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Personally, I love the poster.

Chris Nolan is involved in it and Michael Shannon from Boardwalk Empire and Take Shelter is playing General Zod.
The cast is really great. If only they were all in a different movie, I couldn't care less about Superman.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I'm glad the suit has texture to it. I always thought the smooth spandex bodysuit look looked pretty goofy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I certainly do like Superman's outfit being something other than tights, because as iconic as it is it's kind of impossible to take seriously in film especially. But this is too much. Maye it looks good in full, but it's basically shoving your face into it.

I do kind of like that it seems to be based on Kingdom Come Superman though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I certainly do like Superman's outfit being something other than tights, because as iconic as it is it's kind of impossible to take seriously in film especially. But this is too much. Maye it looks good in full, but it's basically shoving your face into it.

This doesn't look a thing like Kingdom Come Superman other than maybe the darker shade of blue. It's totally Golden Age Supes.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Cleretic posted:

More like the Fleischer Superman cartoons.

Have a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYMynm63A-k

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 15, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yes, forgive me, I appear to be a moron. I jumped to Kingdom Come because of the dark red and lack of yellow on the emblem.

Talks To Cats
Jan 7, 2012
I hate my job and I hate you, but I'll put up with my job because it makes me a shit-ton of money. I can tell you how to do the same...but you won't listen.

I support charity:water with my erotica charity bundles. Water changes everything.

Baron La Croix posted:

I think the obsession with working the bat-symbol into every picture is getting too far if you're putting it on Batman himself.
I think at this point it's impossible to make a Dark Knight poster without some "clever" use of the bat-symbol. I liked it in the poster at first (I literally said "that's clever!") but the more I look at it the more unnecessary it feels.

A shame because Olly Moss is usually really good at the whole "subtle elements" thing.

piratepilates posted:

Superhero costumes just don't translate well to the cinema. Form-fitting materials in primary colors look good on the page, but there's a reason nobody in real life wears that sort of thing.

I think adding texture to the costumes really helps ground the thing in reality. There's a lot of inherent goofiness in the genre. You have to find ways through that. I feel like Iron Man had the easiest time of it - despite the impossibilities of the suit, it felt like a thing that would really exist in the world. First it's a tank, then it's a sports car. The film walks you through it - the only unbelievable part is the magic power source.

One of my biggest problems with every one of the Batman suits in the movies is how goddamn immobile Batman looks. They even start off Batman Begins by having him do ninja training. Then what does he do? Gets into the least ninja-y costume possible. A big suit of armor. They had the perfect opportunity to sell Batman as a guy who wears very little in the way of protective gear, relying on training and instinct and agility to avoid major injury. Give him magic Kevlar that helps him not get killed by things that he can't avoid and you're good to go.

:goonsay:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Talks To Cats posted:

Superhero costumes just don't translate well to the cinema. Form-fitting materials in primary colors look good on the page, but there's a reason nobody in real life wears that sort of thing.

I think adding texture to the costumes really helps ground the thing in reality. There's a lot of inherent goofiness in the genre. You have to find ways through that. I feel like Iron Man had the easiest time of it - despite the impossibilities of the suit, it felt like a thing that would really exist in the world. First it's a tank, then it's a sports car. The film walks you through it - the only unbelievable part is the magic power source.

It's like something that was said in the Robocop remake thread, about the new ED-209. The comment was about Michael Bay on Transformers and how they originally went with simple mechanical designs for the robots, but Bay felt that their simplification looked too unrealistic, so they went with the "thrown together razor blades" look to make the Transformers look more like alien robots.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Vagabundo posted:

Three new posters, two that are rather interesting and the third because it looks so poo poo.

This is a French documentary, no idea what it's about, but if I had to guess, probably to do with racial tensions involving the Muslim community in that country and incidents like the riots in 2005 (I think, there was another one the year after so I may be getting my years mixed up here) and the guy in Toulouse who shot a couple of paratroopers at an ATM and then shot up a Jewish school recently.

Not really, it's a film about Israel.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Not really, it's a film about Israel.

Yeah, looking at the summary on IMDB, it's about sexual politics in Israel.

quote:

A journey through the night, from encounter to encounter, from the bars of Tel-Aviv to the back-alleys of Jerusalem. We're embarking on a magic carpet. Inside night-clubs people dance, laugh, have fun. Dawn breaks to the sound of an outdoor rave party. Jews, Arabs, all citizens of a same country.Israel. With no wall to separate them. One Israeli out of five is Arab...However... A simple question is enough to take everyone by surprise. To some: "Would You Have Sex With an Arab?" To others: "Would You Have Sex With An Israeli Jew?" They don't expect that. Unsettled, they laugh, hesitate, improvise, and are even surprised by their own reactions. Many hadn't even thought about it. To be together? An invisible barrier appears. But desire too. Maybe...

Edit: Okay, I teared up a bit watching the trailer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bDZwVCJVuo

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 15, 2012

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

That's precisely midway between Thor and the new Spiderman :o:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It would look a little cooler of the chainmail effect was a tad more realistic. I don't expect him to wear a costume that actually looks like chainmail, but as it stands now it just looks like rubber stamped with a design at best, the bottom of someones shoe at worst.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Madkal posted:

Hearing that this was a "pub movie" made me think that Wright was making a Sandman movie as The World's End was a pub (more like an inn) in one of the Sandman comics. Actually in one of the best Sandman comics. A World's End movie based on said comic would rule.

The World's End a very common pub name in Britain (I met MY WIFE in one)

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
The name 'Man of Steel' bugs me, it would sound better if it was 'The Man of Steel'.

...but that's probably the most nitpickey of nitpicks.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Amphigory posted:

The World's End a very common pub name in Britain (I met MY WIFE in one)

Guess that's where your life ended too, huh. :smug:

so lonely

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Jefferoo posted:

Is that a Bat-Cylon?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Fat Lou posted:

Is that a Bat-Cylon?

It's dumb poo poo is what it is.

Why does a sci-fi movie about a post-millenial marxist revolution have a vaguely art-deco poster evocative of old silent films? Not only that, it's simply an image of batman's hat and logo, presented straight-on. Even the worst official posters have batman crouching while everything crumbles around him, or something.

Tuff
Jul 15, 2012

by T. Mascis

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's dumb poo poo is what it is.

Why does a sci-fi movie about a post-millenial marxist revolution have a vaguely art-deco poster evocative of old silent films? Not only that, it's simply an image of batman's hat and logo, presented straight-on. Even the worst official posters have batman crouching while everything crumbles around him, or something.

Haven't you ever seen Batman: The Animated Series dude?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What do you folks think of this version of the Creature From The Black Lagoon poster?

I like it's colouring, particularly how the tomato red of the logo is repeated in the merman's eyes, the ambiguously inviting pose Kay is giving his covetous gaze, and avoidance of modern design gimmickry.

That said, it definitely lacks the gaudy promise of high-octane underwater adventure given by the original:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fat Lou posted:

Is that a Bat-Cylon?

It's the new Kitt for Dark Knight Rider.