Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oneiros posted:

It's accurate based on your current usage. It's not magic.
Right. I understand that. That's exactly what I'm talking about. The remaining battery time served no purpose to me as my usage model often varies while I'm on battery life. It doesn't provide any meaningful information other than "well if you keep watching Flash video non-stop you have 2 hours left" which is not how I use my laptop. Other people are free to disagree, but to me it was useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Hope this is the right place for an iTunes question.

So I've owned an iPad 2 for a while and have a bunch of apps on it that I've downloaded/purchased through the App store on the device. I now have a Macbook, so I plugged in there and went to sync purchases. It told me I had to authorize the computer, which I did (and it confirmed), then it says "This computer is no longer authorized for apps that are installed on the iPad. Would you like to authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes Store?" I choose yes, it says I'm already authorized, and then notes it's no longer authorized. And this repeats over and over again. It's authorized, but it won't let me transfer my purchases. The only support article I found suggested I update iTunes, but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Reset your authorizations and then try again.

quote:

If you need to authorize your new computer and are unable due to already having five authorized computers, you can deauthorize all computers by doing the following:
  • Click iTunes Store on the left side of iTunes.
  • If you're not signed in to the store, click the Account button, then enter your account name and password.
  • Click the Account button again (your Apple ID appears on the button), enter your password, and then click
  • View Account.
    In the Account Information window, click Deauthorize All.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Oneiros posted:

t's accurate based on your current usage. It's not magic.

I have always found it to be somewhat accurate, and have relied on it more than I probably should.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Reset your authorizations and then try again.

There's no option to reset because this is the first one authorized. I de-authorized this one multiple times but it keeps looping through the same steps of "authorize! not authorized! deauthorize? okay. hey, authorize!"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Right. I understand that. That's exactly what I'm talking about. The remaining battery time served no purpose to me as my usage model often varies while I'm on battery life. It doesn't provide any meaningful information other than "well if you keep watching Flash video non-stop you have 2 hours left" which is not how I use my laptop. Other people are free to disagree, but to me it was useless.

But it makes absolutely perfect sense. If I'm watching a video with VLC in bed for example without my charger near by, I might wander "hmm, do I have enough time?" and can quickly move my cursor up and look at the titlebar. Whatever it says up there would influence my actions, like getting up and getting the charger or not. Now I need to do an additional click to see the same information. Just because it's not useful to some people, doesn't mean it was not useful to all people and frankly it takes more work to remove something than to leave it in as is so I don't even understand why they devoted an engineer to remove it and test to make sure nothing was broken.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

It's not remotely accurate anyway. Watch a YouTube video and it'll say 2 hours left, but close the window and go back to just typing notes and it jumps back up to 7 hours. It's completely worthless and I'm not sad to see it go from the menu bar.

Just use percentage rather than time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Terpfen posted:

Just use percentage rather than time.
Like my iOS devices, I don't use anything other than the icon because I don't need to obsess over battery life. My MBA/iPhone/iPad have never died on me so I stopped caring about battery status.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
I have Lion on a new Macbook Air (Ivy Bridge) and it doesn't tell me the battery time. I just installed this:

http://www.orange-carb.org/SBM/index.html

It looks prettier and has more options. Takes up less space in the bar above as well.

Problem solved!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Has anyone else's Launchpad hotkey stop working? I set it to F10 and it doesn't do anything after I woke it up from sleep. Tried restarting and changing the key but nothing :/

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Even went in and deleted the "SC Info" folder and still nothing. I'll have to call tech support I guess.

One general question: how do I prevent my computer from locking and killing wifi when I leave it alone for a while? I set "Computer sleep" to "never" when on AC power, so I could download a few big updates, but no matter what, whenever I get back to it, it's locked and my download was interrupted.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Crossposting this from the SSD megathread:

So I finally got around to installing my Crucial M4 into my early-2011 MBP, and after doing a clean install of Lion, I get the gray startup screen with a lined-through circle rather than the Apple logo. What could cause this?

Googling suggests bad disk (edit: but gives steps to check, and the disk checks out ok): https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1576513?start=0&tstart=0

Only thing I can think of is that I formatted it as encrypted and it never asked for the password during bootup, so ...?

Awesome. Now that I've gone back, completed all the steps from the post, and tried to install again, it won't install, and says there's an error, even though everything checked out per the post.

Appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Only thing I can think of is that I formatted it as encrypted and it never asked for the password during bootup, so ...?

Appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

Wait, are you encrypting the drive pre-install thru Disk Utility? Without ever setting up a user account/password?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Oneiros posted:

Wait, are you encrypting the drive pre-install thru Disk Utility? Without ever setting up a user account/password?
That was what I tried (formatting it as Mac OS X Extended, Journaled, Encrypted), but that was the first thing I changed to try to troubleshoot. So I was, but now I'm not.

Edit: Now trying to install from original Snow Leopard disk instead of burned Lion disk, since that's the only other thing I can think of.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Krakkles posted:

Crossposting this from the SSD megathread:

So I finally got around to installing my Crucial M4 into my early-2011 MBP, and after doing a clean install of Lion, I get the gray startup screen with a lined-through circle rather than the Apple logo. What could cause this?

Have you gone through anything outlined here?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

1997 posted:

Have you gone through anything outlined here?
It didn't come up in my google, so no. I'm currently on their "last resort" anyway, and I'll try the NVRAM/PRAM thing if installing SL -> upgrading to Lion doesn't work.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Krakkles posted:

It didn't come up in my google, so no. I'm currently on their "last resort" anyway, and I'll try the NVRAM/PRAM thing if installing SL -> upgrading to Lion doesn't work.

How did you try installing Lion to begin with? Also have you checked to see if the original disk still works? If it does, then your HD cable should be okay. If it doesn't, then look into that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

1997 posted:

How did you try installing Lion to begin with? Also have you checked to see if the original disk still works? If it does, then your HD cable should be okay. If it doesn't, then look into that.
From a disc burned thusly:

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I make a bootable installation disc for Lion?
  • Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion-compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.
  • Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”
  • Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.”
  • Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another location like the Desktop.
  • Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.
  • Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your disc to burn.
  • Alternatively, you can restore this image to a USB or FireWire drive for a faster install process.

The original disc (SL) seems to have worked - I've got it running with the appstore downloading Lion right now (painfully slow, I might add), and haven't had any problem. So ... assuming upgrading to Lion works, it looks to have been the disc that was the issue.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

Was playing with ML today on my friend's MBA and I noticed that the battery icon does not show time remaining anymore. You can only switch it to show the percentage left, and of course clicking on the icon shows the time left, but it does not show it up top in the menu anymore.

This is the most retarded thing ever.

To be honest, I've used the time on the battery since 10.2 and I didn't even notice it in ML until I read your post. I've actually been clicking it to see time but really it hasn't phased me. I've been traveling for 5 days now and pretty much the battery icon goes red and I go "oh poo poo, time to charge." So it doesn't seem that big of a deal unless you're really spergin out.

And to Krakkles: plug the M4 into a Windows PC and make sure it has the latest firmware on it. Crucial drives, while they rule now they had a really rough start and the older firmwares really don't play well with macs due to the bugs in them.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

flyboi posted:

And to Krakkles: plug the M4 into a Windows PC and make sure it has the latest firmware on it. Crucial drives, while they rule now they had a really rough start and the older firmwares really don't play well with macs due to the bugs in them.
It looks like SL -> upgrade to Lion has worked. Luckily, when I fired up TRIM Enabler, it says I'm already on the latest firmware. Very thankful for that because I really don't want to deal with it.

Maybe. It crashed when I plugged in an external HDD.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 15, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wanting to see my battery time left is sperging out now? Really?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Krakkles posted:

There's the problem, you need an account set up for login to be able to boot off that disk. The circle slash indicates that the kernel (which is stored unencrypted on the recovery partition) could not mount the OS disk (which is encrypted) because it doesn't have the password, since the boot login window likely wasn't set up properly. If you boot while holding command-V, you might get more information as well as a bunch of debug info.

You need to install Lion to an unencrypted HFS+ disk first, set up your user account and password, then set up encryption later by going to the Security prefpane.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wanting to see my battery time left is sperging out now? Really?

To be fair, this is in reaction to the multitude of posts both here, and in the hardware thread with screenshots of battery apps, and asking if this is normal, is their battery about to explode, god drat APPLE etc.

When asked if they actually run out during the day, it's met with 'well, no but'

So it's just pent up frustration.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Yeast posted:

To be fair, this is in reaction to the multitude of posts both here, and in the hardware thread with screenshots of battery apps, and asking if this is normal, is their battery about to explode, god drat APPLE etc.

When asked if they actually run out during the day, it's met with 'well, no but'

So it's just pent up frustration.

It's just like the percentage indicator on the iPhone.

Besides, it's not like time remaining is anywhere close to accurate.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Someone asked about the possibility of QyickSync in Mountain Lion before, it's looking pretty likely with this on the "new features" page:
http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html#quicktime

quote:

High-performance H.264 encoding3
When you select a standard HD export setting, QuickTime Player takes advantage of hardware video encoding for optimal performance.

3. Supported on the following Mac models: iMac (Mid 2011 or newer), Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer), MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer), and MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer).

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I copied a block of text I needed to put at the end of an email, but before I wrote the email I also copy-and-pasted a URL someone sent me. Is there a clipboard manager on Mac where I can go back and get the block of text I've lost?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
There are cliipboard managers that can hold multiple clippings, but you'd need to be running that first. They won't go back and get a bit of text that's already gone.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
God drat, so I reset the PRAM\PMU on my mac mini and now no matter what when I turn it on, it looks like it's trying to reformat the mac. Is there anyway to reverse this change?

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 15, 2012

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

lol internet. posted:

God drat, so I reset the PRAM\PMU on my mac mini and now no matter what when I turn it on, it looks like it's trying to reformat the mac. Is there anyway to reverse this change?

Hold down Option when turning it on, choose your Lion install and then choose your startup disk in system preferences?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

1997 posted:

Hold down Option when turning it on, choose your Lion install and then choose your startup disk in system preferences?

Yea I tried that but it kept going into the installer screen.. I ended up wiping everything. Now trying to restore from a time machine backup. Going to cry hard if the restore fails.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 15, 2012

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

CaptainCaveman posted:

There are cliipboard managers that can hold multiple clippings, but you'd need to be running that first. They won't go back and get a bit of text that's already gone.

Any recommendations for on clipboard managers?

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003

DannoMack posted:

Alfred has a clipboard history type feature. And everyone loves Alfred!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol internet. posted:

Yea I tried that but it kept going into the installer screen.. I ended up wiping everything. Now trying to restore from a time machine backup. Going to cry hard if the restore fails.

I guess it's too late now but FYI even if you do a OS X reinstall it won't erase your data unless you explicitly wipe the drive in Disk Utility. You should be able to do a reinstall and boot up into the system pretty much just as you left it.

majesticonion
Apr 9, 2004

DannoMack posted:

I use this daily: http://www.clipmenu.com/

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

TACD posted:

I guess it's too late now but FYI even if you do a OS X reinstall it won't erase your data unless you explicitly wipe the drive in Disk Utility. You should be able to do a reinstall and boot up into the system pretty much just as you left it.

Does this include applications\settings? Cause if that's the case, that's pretty awesome.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol internet. posted:

Does this include applications\settings? Cause if that's the case, that's pretty awesome.
Yep. Installing OS X is pretty fool-proof.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

DannoMack posted:

I use...I can't remember if its Flycut or Jumpcut, if I'm remembering right its Flycut which is an exact copy of Jumpcut, but has the difference of being in the Mac App Store. I like it because it is basic, and has the single feature I need (clipboard history) and is free, and doesn't throw in a bunch of visual distraction in order to try and justify paying money for it.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

TACD posted:

Yep. Installing OS X is pretty fool-proof.

So I'm trying to install the GM DP on my Mac Mini server.. and all I get is this screen. :(

I tried saving the ESD to a USB as I have no DVD drive on this. Any ideas? As soon as I boot off the USB drive, I don't even click anything or anything loads, this is the only screen I get. The bar is constantly moving but nothing else. I let it sit for like 30mins last time.

I've also tried running the ESD dmg directly. It says it's going to install some files, takes about 3mins, says it restarts, but it boots into the original OS.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 16, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The strangest thing has occurred since installing Mountain Lion. Things like SickBeard and Transmission will occasionally (not always,) stop working. Sickbeard stops responding and Transmission will tell me an IP:port is blocked. A reboot fixes it. It's just peculiar. Never had one lick of problems with either until the day I got Mountain Lion. I cannot fathom what got changed. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears! :)
Don't install the GM seed on non-development machines until it's released to the public and developers release ML-friendly applications.

Problem solved.