Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Really starting to think that the games press racket is fellating this game so hard because it gives them a great excuse to nerdbait and bash people who actually like games/know what they are talking about.

"Wouldn't it be totally rad if the game played itself and if at the end Dante sparkled in the sun?" (And oh yeah the whole thing is an allegory for being poor in America.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

bloodysabbath posted:

Really starting to think that the games press racket is fellating this game so hard because it gives them a great excuse to nerdbait and bash people who actually like games/know what they are talking about.

That's what it seems like at times. I haven't bothered to post most of the first impressions stuff from after E3, because it's the writers doing just that.

This mock up is basically all the first impressions that they write:

quote:

" From the makers of the critcally acclaimed Heavenly Sword, and Enslaved, Ninja Theroy have taken on the mantle of DMC, in their latest game, DmC: Devil may Cry blah blah.

[a few more paragraphs sucking NT's cock, with words like "artistic", "stylistic", "cutting edge mocap" SLURP SLURP SLURP]

Oh, well, Dante may look different, but he's still the same Dante. And the fans don't like it because they changed his hair, get over it losers. He's still got the same wild crazy attitude.

*picture of the out of date crack-whore Dante*

The graphics look as sweet as, and it controls like a true DMC should. All the old moves are there, and it's improved the styles by using the Angel and Devil triggers. They do blah blah blah

*another picture of Dante in the road with a mid-airswing or whatever. An "action pic"*

And the boss is ugly as hell. It's like some gross bug, and some ugly fucker, like all DMC bosses. The fight puts you to the test taking advantage of the triggers, you have to blah blah

*picture of bug boss looking angry*

And the dialogue is sharp, having come from the screen writer from 28 Days Later, and Dante is witty and full of one-liners like his older self.

*screencap of Dante being wacky or in the middle of saying "gently caress"*

I don't get why the so-called fans of the series don't like it. It's story is brilliant and the graphics are gorgeous, who cares about the 30fps?
For one I look forward to this [reboot/prequel/reimagining/whatever word they're going to use], and it'll prove just how great NT really is. SLURP SLURP"
That's why I haven't bothered to post them. They're literally that, but unironically.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 13, 2012

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
This game is actually great, because it's a barometer to tell which game journalists aren't loving useless at their jobs. Apparently, that's all of them so far. Has anyone really gone over the demo and gave it a critical eye? People usually say RPS is one of the best, but I don't know if they had time to look at it or not.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The most informative and critical people thus far have been the regular joes playing the demo and saying "this is good. This is bad. I liked this. I didn't like this."

User0015 posted:

People usually say RPS is one of the best, but I don't know if they had time to look at it or not.

A quick check shows that they haven't had their hands on the demo, but their write up from May, says nearly everything that I've used in that mock-up. I'll bold the same stock things.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun from May 22nd posted:

Yes, its full name is “DmC Devil May Cry” – so, in essence, the game’s actual name is Devil May Cry Devil May Cry. I can’t claim to navigate the labyrinthine cognitive corridors that led to this not-so-dynamic duo of a name, but oh well. I’m playing a game called The Exiled Realm of Arborea right now and am eagerly anticipating a dark, gritty noir drama unabashedly titled Max Payne 3. Names have never exactly been this industry’s strong suit. Stupid, silly amazo-action, however, is right up our alley full of conspicuously placed explosive barrels, and few deliver it better than the Devil May Cry franchise. Basically, I’m in love with Dante’s dumb demon-slayer-who’s-basically-a-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtle antics, so this has me pretty excited. That said, DmC is the first series entry that hasn’t been developed internally at Capcom, so I’m still exercising caution.

Announced alongside a January 2013 delay for the console version, runs-on-PC DmC won’t be out until “later in 2013.” It is, however, at least existent – a promising step in the right direction. That said, the jury’s still out on new developer Ninja Theory’s vision of Dante’s over-the-top, demon-infested life. I mean, his hair’s the wrong color. What’s up with that? Surely it’s a crystal clear reflection of how the game will play. There’s no other explanation.

Or perhaps – and this is a crazy, totally out-there long shot – Ninja Theory knows exactly what it’s doing, as evidenced by its incredible work on Enslaved and pretty solid work on Heavenly Sword. The developer’s flair for the dramatic is pretty much peerless – especially with frequent involvement from Andy Serkis, aka Gollum from Lord Of The Rings and Caesar from Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes. So yeah, it’ll probably be a different spin on the swords ‘n’ guns hack ‘n’ slash, but I’m pretty optimistic about its chances of standing on its own two feet.

It's like playing terrible journalism Bingo.

So yeah, it's a circle jerk-a-thon. :circlefap:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 13, 2012

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

quote:

I try to switch weapons mid combo which works fine but even if the combo is the same botton sequence switching weapons restarts the combo so no mixing and matching weapons even with the same combo

The way the Demon and Angel forms are set up are somewhat counter intuetive when you actually get your hands on it.

The game is not as responceve in certain areas. For example: When I was trying to use the angle dash I found that I wouldn't;

Similar things happened when dudging

You HAVE TO be facing the thing, ledge, or enemy you want to graple or nothing will happen. If you can't see it on screen it doesn't matter if you're right infront of it, you won't graple it. I fell off the edge more than a few times fighting poison because of this.

I was floating right under a blue crystal during one of the 'kill the camera sequences' and D wouldn't grapple till I moved back and shifted the camera to see the drat thing.

Canceling isn't available all the time.

DT isn't as helpful as I'd hope. From what I saw the only real uses for the DT were A) to recover health and B) to launge all enemies into the air. I saw no other uses for it

I didn't hate the plataforming elements

Stinger is not as easy to pull of as previous titles. There was just a big difference from the original way to do it that made it very hard to do.

In DT killing enemies gets you more of those slo-mo kills. I didn't like that, it broke the tempo of the fight and was more distraction than anything.

Wow, this game sounds like a real piece of poo poo!

quote:

it's a vast improvement on DMC4.

:what:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
More from that player! Hot off the presses!

The Poison Battle:

quote:

Now that I'm more rested I think I was more tired than I realized when I played this. One reason I think this is that I was that I was really struggleing to pull of the stinger, which is done the same way as Bayonetta, and I've done it there with more ease. And with Poison there were times when I was doing magnificently well but then started to struggle in others.

Now, something I didn't mention how how often I died or fell unintentionally. At the church I actually fell ALOT. In this case it was because of how the A-Dash didn't respond to L2+X, to A-Dash you have to hold the L2 for significant amount of time before pushing X. The thing is, from what I've seen on online videos I'm left wondering if it's just the PS3 version that does this, people playing the 360 version on online videos didn't seem to struggle at all with this so maybe it's an early port glitch. I actually did fall on purpose a few times to see if there was any penalty of any kind, like a health decrease, but nada.

One thing I did do was wait on one of the plataforms to see if anything happend if you just stood there. Well the plataform would start to vibrate, which game me the impression that eventually it would fall from under your feet if you just stayed there, but I didn't stick arround to find out.

I also did rather poorly with Poison,like I said above, I died a round 4 times, maybe 5. I know, juudgin my own skills, I would've still dies twice even if I did have a good handle on the controller layout, which was the primary reason I struggled so much. The other two reasons I died so often, and why I know I would have died anyway even if I could play better are because i didn't dudge on time several attacks. This goes back to what I was saying about the game not giving you the luxery of waiting till the last moment to dudge some attacks. More specificly when Poison is about to slam her fist down on you is not the time to wait for the last second. The other reason was that when you are attacking her hands the camera zoomed in right ontop of me and I couldn't see her face so it was hard to judge her attacks. I also mentioned that the other thing that was a pain in the rear end was that you had to look at the blue crystal to latch on to it.

One thing I really wante to find out with Poison was whether or not you could latch on that red crystal on her forhead every time you saw it. You can't, it has to be glowing before you can Demon grapple it, which means countering her swing. Now I can't be sure about this but I think you can't do any damage to her head unless that crystal is visible; I'm provably wron about this but that's the impression that I got while fighting.

One thing that kinda bugged me was that the launcher (AKA high time). Pressing and holding the button will send you flying in to the air with your opponent but in this game you have to hold the botton longer than previous titles which sometimes left me on the floor when I wanted to be in the air.

There was a cool little thing in the area with the two cameras where when you destroy the one on the left and the little chubby dudes appear (stingers). If you demon graple one to remove the shield and the camera is facing the right direction the shiled come flying at the camera. Nothing great but I thought it was kinda neat.

The double jump is not made for covering distances, it's more for getting you hight. I often found that double jumping would actually slow me down while in mid air and that to get to the next ledge the better policy was to not use the D-jump and stick to the A-dash.

Using L2+O in mid air lauches your enemies higher up. I was hoping they had something like that since you can launch your enemies in Bayonetta in mid air and I was hoping it was also here. Unfortuanatly they decided not to include the air stinger.

Source: http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/so-i-played-the-dmc-demo-at-comic-con.11488/page-5

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
The cognitive dissonance is astounding.
He's describing clear problems with the game mechanics and then blaming himself for it because holy poo poo he got to play the new Devil May Cry demo, guys! and it has some good stuff in it, so maybe the bad stuff is just 'cause he was tired or doing it wrong? Probably.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
And yet, there's more actual information in that person's impression of it, than in pretty much all the game journalists' write ups on it. Someone who can't spell and has terrible grammar is more informative than the so called journalists.

I do wish though they'd learn how to spell "dodge", it's not that loving difficult.

[e]: 28 Days Later was okay, Sunshine was pretty meh, and Enslaved, while I liked the characters, they weren't that well written and neither was the main plot.

And apropos of nothing, I've just finish Maijin and the Forsaken Kingdom, which was what I thought Enslaved would be like (a fairly solid platformer with a teamwork mechanic). The story and the VA range from being acceptable to bad, but it was way more fun than Enslaved was for me. For one, the combat doesn't completely suck rear end. Don't get me wrong, it's still not that good (though that's largely the point of the game), but you're no longer fighting the controls to do stuff.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 13, 2012

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
"Critically acclaimed artsy artists doing art about style and art. What? How does it play? You want to know how it PLAYS? Pffft, whatever, loving grognard. There's a ~*MOVIE WRITAH*~ involved!"
- Games Journalism

(I love the misguided notion that a screenwriter EVER brings his A game to video game projects. I love Alex Garland and I actually thought Enslaved was an ok game, but there is no denying that is his C- tier stuff.)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why people are praising this game's graphics considering how DMC4 is still one of the best looking games of this generation (especially during the game-engine movies, holy poo poo) and it runs at 60 FPS.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Because DMC4 isn't auteur enough.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Minor news, more new DmC info will be shown during Gamescom 2012 - starting 15th August. And apparently there will be a "big surprise".

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

You guys just can't accept the artistic genius of the NT crew. Clearly everyone complaining is just an entitled gamer who doesn't understand how ART truly works. :colbert:

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

randombattle posted:

You guys just can't accept the artistic genius of the NT crew. Clearly everyone complaining is just an entitled gamer who doesn't understand how ART truly works. :colbert:

Don't say that! You are giving me bad ME3 flashbacks :cry:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
New stuff!

Comic con interview!

I've only watched the new game stuff, not the actual interview ATM.

Dante walks into the night club, and a play-girl dressed as an angel walks up to him, and tries to chat to him (apparently knowing him before hand), for sex. Predictably, when he spurns her:

:byodame: YEAH WELL gently caress YOU DANTE

Mature writing. :smug:

And the first appearance of a pregnant (though her baby bump not showing) Lilith, as she sees him, talks to her baby and pats it, and turns the nightclub into the night-club level.

Lilith...or should I say...Jackie Stallone

Demons are responsible for the excesses of society (large banks stealing money, the vast amounts of reality TV* and CCTV).

Disco level is so video-gamey it hurts. A literal sign saying "ROUND 1" and "FIGHT" appears and then the enemies spawn in. Combat still doesn't look very much like DMC.

And not that I want to accuse Ninja Theory of plagerism, but it's very similar in design to levels found in El Shaddai, except with loving obnoxious strobe lighting.

Now that we know Lilith is pregnant, the horrors that await us are:

1) Her and Mudus boning
2) Vergil's redesign
3) The mature storyline and dialogue gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress SEX DANTE HAS SEX CAN YOU SEE HOW EDGY WE ARE gently caress gently caress SEX SEX DEMONS ARE THE ROOT OF ALL SOCIETIES PROBLEMS SOCIAL SATIRE gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

*Yes, someone seriously says that.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 15, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bloodysabbath posted:

"Wouldn't it be totally rad if the game played itself and if at the end Dante sparkled in the sun?" (And oh yeah the whole thing is an allegory for being poor in America.)

If this was true it's more likely that they'd praise the game knowing that they'll get 10 times as many hits from angry DMC nerds linking to the review and flooding them with hits, just like every other positive review of DMC that has gotten posted here.

Farbtoner fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 15, 2012

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Ankle-biter posted:

Don't say that! You are giving me bad ME3 flashbacks :cry:

This would be like the ME3 debacle if Ninja Theory included mechanics and art assets similar to the games we all know and love, but you only got to unlock them if you played their iOS game or their awful, tacked on multiplayer to increase your DEVIL WEEPINESS FACTOR.

On the off chance that this bomb doesn't kill the franchise dead, I'm going to stop giving them ideas for the sequel, now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's hard to tell how Capcom would react to this game bombing. I'd like to think that they'd just look past it and get a legit DMC5 started, but there's also the fear that they'd drop the series because the team they put this game under is a bunch of incompetent assholes who wasted some of their money. I can only hope at this point that the big surprise at Gamescom is that this game was a massive joke and they'll just be releasing a new DMC on the Vita or something, I CAN HOPE.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's hard to tell how Capcom would react to this game bombing.

I wouldn't call NT incompetent for making this game as such, after all Capcom came to them and asked them to make it.

They're certainly being pretenscious though, with how they are going about the story elements, and the fan reaction, while the game play itself seems to be possibly "competent". Which is not to say it's good, or bad, at this stage. It's playable, which is a vast step up for things like Enslaved.

It's impossible to tell if Capcom would drop the DMC franchise if this bombed. I mean, Dante himself is still marketable, going by the numerous cameos he's had in things, and continues to have. But Capcom is so loving capricious it's hard to tell.

And on the flip side of the coin, the success of this game would mean the continuation of the franchise...but I'm really not sure I'd want a sequel to this game. Everything about this, from the look of it, the weird-rear end controls, the smug pretentiousness of the devs, the focus on the story, loving social commentary, and the whole presentation of the thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

It was bad enough at the initial trailer with the redesign, then as it's gone on, it's become so farcical and so unlike DMC. Basically.

Part of me wants to see this bomb so spectacularly, if only for the schadenfreude of seeing the :smug: wiped from NT and Capcom's faces, but that would be cutting off the nose to spite the face. There's no benefit to be had from this bombing, really.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 16, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Disco level is so video-gamey it hurts. A literal sign saying "ROUND 1" and "FIGHT" appears and then the enemies spawn in.

Not sure what your problem is with this. DMC has always been one of the more "videogamey" videogames.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Not sure what your problem is with this. DMC has always been one of the more "videogamey" videogames.

Yeah, I gotta say, that sounds closer to what I'd expect from DMC-style humor than gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If it bombs then Capcom will just make more Resident evils, or street fighters, that will get sales.

To be honest one has to ask, what is considered a bomb for Capcom exactly? They really want those CoD numbers after all.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I didn't mean to imply I had a problem with it. :ohdear:

It just caught me off guard after the very non-video game approach they seem to have been going for.

Alteisen posted:

To be honest one has to ask, what is considered a bomb for Capcom exactly? They really want those CoD numbers after all.

For this?
Well, they're aiming to sell at least 2 million units. What happens if they get that or not, who knows?

The first DMC sold 2 million, the best selling was DMC4 at 2.3 million, and the worst was DMC3 at 1.3 million. The rough total for the whole series is at about 10 million units.

To put this into perspective, the last COD sold at least 9 million units in the first few months. The apparent total units sold for that whole series is 110 million units.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 16, 2012

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I'm just scared Capcom will think that people don't like the Devil May Cry serie anymore because of this game and just stop making them altogether.

Even though if they'd just make something litteraly being "DmC 5, identical gameplay of DmC4 but it has normal Dante and new levels" I'd buy it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I looked up the units sold of Ninja Theory's past games:

Heavenly Sword: 1.5 million

Enslaved: 4 hundred thousand. :aaa:
That really loving bombed. They were hoping it would reach the 1 million mark. I'm surprised that NT didn't go bust from that.

Critically, the DMC series and NT's games are around the 70-80% mark from the aggregate scores of metacritic and gamerankings.

Bayonetta actually sold less than Heavenly Sword at 1.35 million units.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I knew Bayonetta was PG's best selling game, but I didn't know they broke a million, nice. I can only hope Anarchy does as well.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Pesky Splinter posted:

That really loving bombed. They were hoping it would reach the 1 million mark. I'm surprised that NT didn't go bust from that.

Critically, the DMC series and NT's games are around the 70-80% mark from the aggregate scores of metacritic and gamerankings.

To be fair, the only reason Heavenly Sword sold so well was pretty much because it was, at the time, one of the very, very few PS3-exclusive games, if I'm remembering correctly. I think there was a demo for it right when the PS3 came out, wasn't there? I remember playing a demo for that game and thinking, "OH MAN PS3 WOW PS3 I SHOULD BUY THIS GAME," but I ended up renting it with some friends years later.

It's painfully mediocre, if you're wondering.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

I don't know if this is the angle or what, but Lilith there seems to have some sort of serious birth defect that altered the overall shape of her skull.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pesky Splinter posted:

Wow it looks like Capcom pulled NT out of the fryer with this deal, so that's just one more reason to hope it doesn't bomb (for all involved.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

notZaar posted:

Wow it looks like Capcom pulled NT out of the fryer with this deal, so that's just one more reason to hope it doesn't bomb (for all involved.)

If that was the case, they'd be doing a better job of promoting it then they are. Making snide comments about the fanbase is like the worst possible way to handle this. Look at developers behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution or even Fallout 3 who went out of their way to go "man, we understand this is a concern, we're doing everything we can" vs here where they're making crappy jokes about how the fans are angry and demonstrating that, at bare minimum, they don't understand why the original mechanics existed. Even Lords of Shadow, which is the closest you can get to a DmC style reboot, at least had the developers talking animatedly about how they loved Super Castlevania IV and why they did.

I don't hold it against Ninja Theory to take a crack at a semi-big name franchise when they need to recover but I do hold it against them that they're doing it in the shittiest way possible. Even if it turns out to be a good game they've done everything they can to do a bad job at presenting themselves.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 16, 2012

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Archonex posted:

I don't know if this is the angle or what, but Lilith there seems to have some sort of serious birth defect that altered the overall shape of her skull.

I feel like she should have four arms.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I won't like to it because gently caress destructoid, but Jim Sterling's latest jimquisition essentially calls all DMC fans assholes, he paints like its the gamers fault for having certain exceptions of a particular franchise and the name associated with it.

I presented what I felt was a good argument, such as when I see Resident Evil, at a minimum I expect a horror game, not an action game with poor horror elements. I was promptly told that I need to lower my expectations. Cause you know, that's the right answer, just gently caress it right?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

notZaar posted:

I won't really be shedding too many tears if Ninja Theory sinks. They're CG artists with delusions of grandeur, not game developers, and it's shown in all their work so far.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I knew Bayonetta was PG's best selling game, but I didn't know they broke a million, nice. I can only hope Anarchy does as well.

Anarchy absolutely bombed in Japan.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oxxidation posted:

I won't really be shedding too many tears if Ninja Theory sinks. They're CG artists with delusions of grandeur, not game developers, and it's shown in all their work so far.

This is the thing I don't get about NT, they really don't seem to like the "video game" aspect of their games. Say what you will about guys like Hideo Kojima, Tetsuya Nomura and David Cage, but they show that they actually do like video games and care about the medium. No matter how ridiculous or heavily story over gameplay they get (Or in Cage's case being really creepy) they genuinely do seem to give a drat about video games and are enthusiastic about them. Ninja Theory really seems more like they'd rather be working on some artistic underground movie group than on video games.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I won't like to it because gently caress destructoid, but Jim Sterling's latest jimquisition essentially calls all DMC fans assholes, he paints like its the gamers fault for having certain exceptions of a particular franchise and the name associated with it.

I presented what I felt was a good argument, such as when I see Resident Evil, at a minimum I expect a horror game, not an action game with poor horror elements. I was promptly told that I need to lower my expectations. Cause you know, that's the right answer, just gently caress it right?

Truly the greatest lesson to learn from this thread is that destructoid is terrible, and no one should read it for any reason.

Additionally, please buy Anarchy Reigns when it (if?) comes out in your relevant region.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Alteisen posted:

Sterling is an attention whore, just ignore him and his rag completely, it's for the best.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Speaking of terrible journalism:

[quote=Kotaku -
Either the New Devil May Cry is Very Good, or the Whiskey Was Really Strong]

This past weekend I got my first chance to try out DMC, the upcoming refresh of Capcom's popular slash-and-shoot series, and I am pretty sure I enjoyed myself immensely. I'm just not certain how much of that enjoyment stemmed from an extremely unfortunate mixed drink snafu.

Evan and I stopped by the Microsoft event on Thursday night of the San Diego Comic-Con with the intention of getting in, playing some games, and then getting back to the hotel in time to write up some fresh impressions. It was midnight back home when the party started, and after walking the floor of the convention center and the streets of San Diego all day long, neither of us was long for consciousness.

The first game I came across was DMC, Ninja Theory's take on a franchise I've always enjoyed for its swarmy style and fast action. I'd not yet had the pleasure of giving the controversial dark-haired Dante a go, so I planted myself down on a bench and stared at the person occupying the demo station until they got uncomfortable and left.

Meanwhile, Evan grabbed me a drink.

Now I am not a big drinker. During my first year or so working for Kotaku I would overindulge at every party, but I've since realized that I don't like the taste of alcohol and would much rather sip a coke naked than ruined with rum. The one exception to this rule is the amaretto sour, a delicious mixture of sweet and tangy that's pretty weak in the grand scheme of things. I have an incredibly low tolerance for a man my size, so it's really the ideal poison for my person.

Unfortunately the bar was out of amaretto, so Evan got me a whiskey sour instead.
Seasoned drinkers are laughing already. For one, as my friends like to remind me, drinking an amaretto sour makes me a lesbian. And second, substituting whiskey for amaretto is like substituting a pinch for a gunshot.

The drink arrived as I was familiarizing myself with Dante's controls. He's got guns, he's got melee weapons. He's got demonic and angelic attacks that work different murderous magic on different enemies. He dodges, he pulls himself into airborne enemies. He gets completely lost on a very small level that involved shooting a trio of evil devices to open up a new path.

That last bit, to be fair to Ninja Theory, didn't get really bad until I had sipped the entire whiskey sour through a tiny straw in under 30 seconds. It did not taste good, so the faster it was gone the better. Or so I thought.

While there were enemies on screen I reveled in battle. It was fast and reactive, at least to my increasingly sluggish reflexes. Moves chained together with sexy style, and despite his strange appearance, Dante was every bit as sly and witty as his white-haired predecessor, who made a special appearance each time I activated the Devil Trigger mode. "He's from the future!" I exclaimed to no one in particular, grinning stupidly at my own comment.

Aside from a general lack of direction, I often found the camera going places the camera should not go, with emo Dante disappearing from view entirely. It didn't happen often, but the plague of the fast-paced third-person action platformer can never be fully escaped.

My platforming skills and hand-eye coordination were then put to the test as I raced through the crumbling cathedral we've already seen in several trailers for the game. I only died four times. Only three of those times were my fault, give or take one.

By the end of the first part of my Dante demo I was feeling no pain. Don't worry, I made up for it during the second half.

Evan warned me that the boss in the demo was tough, and I scoffed at him. This was not due to confidence, but rather the sheer fun of scoffing. Try it. Turn to the person next to you and scoff. Fun, isn't it?

The boss was a massive multi-armed beast suspended from a pit by cables, possibly demonic cables. This bulbous freak spit curses at me, dropping the F-bomb at first sparingly and then cutting loose when he realized the answer to "Who the gently caress are you!?" was the Son of Sparda. I bet Dante gets that a lot.

What followed was a blur. There were multiple platforms to swing between, the boss would randomly cover each one with acidic vomit, requiring our hero stay on the move. I was pounded by giant claws, crushed beneath their bulk, and puked on with alarming regularity. Every now and then the boss' fleshing head mass would open to reveal a glowing red weak spot, the bane of bosses everywhere.

Did I take him down? Oh yes, I took him down. Evan walked over, and I told him it was easy. I only used about 15 continues.

What? Pressing continue is easy.

Despite the intoxicated nature of the demo, several aspects of DMC were crystal clear. The action was fast and slick. The characters were attractive and filled with the sort of life I've come to expect from the makers of Heavenly Sword and Enslaved.

And I will never, ever drink and game again, unless DMC comes out and it's not as good as I remember it.
[/quote]

Reviewing while drunk, quality journalism! :allears:

Azure_Horizon posted:

Anarchy absolutely bombed in Japan.

Current unit sales are at about 25,400, which is really terrible. SEGA pushing back the western release until the 1st quater of next year isn't gonna help, either.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

did i tell you about my drinking? hello?? HELLO???? am i a grown up yet?????

Every single hands-on with this game has been terrible.

Edit: The lack of a lock-on button is such a bad idea. There's one or two sections in the camera footage posted above where the player has issues grabbing airborne enemies.

GUI fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

GUI posted:

The lack of a lock-on button is such a bad idea. There's one or two sections in the camera footage posted above where the player has issues grabbing airborne enemies.

There's at least one mention somewhere that the flying things are loving annoying because the weapon kept latching onto the ground enemies first.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Ninja Theory really seems more like they'd rather be working on some artistic underground movie group than on video games.

And that's why we end up with things like invisible walls on a platformer, and dramatic bullet-time when you kill a regular enemy, throwing you out of the loop for a few seconds, or controls that feel like you're trying to play wearing boxing gloves.

They know how to make nice looking visuals. That's it. It still makes me laugh that they think this will change how stories are viewed in games, and that it'll change the future of games or what-have-you.

• Locked thread