Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

SlicerDicer posted:

Awesome man glad you got to visit hawaiian waters. The visibility on Oahu seemed to be pretty good that day.

In other news I have gone full retard... I now own a MK15 rebreather, it shall commence moar madness'es

How come you went with the mk15 over a boris? Don't know the ins and outs but i thought the boris was a modernized mk15 and that the mk15 commanded a significant premium. Looks drat sexy though, congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE
I went with the Mark 15, Well its a fantastic rig.. Mine is 32 years old and still able to be dove and looks mint. Would you be able to say the same about the Boris? I am not sure you would...

Also the boris is not as compact it does not have spheres so its got externalized tanks. If I wanted externalized tanks they would be sidemount :) Among other things, I will let you know what I think further once I dive a unit that has some of the lowest work of breathing of any unit.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

SlicerDicer posted:

I went with the Mark 15, Well its a fantastic rig.. Mine is 32 years old and still able to be dove and looks mint. Would you be able to say the same about the Boris? I am not sure you would...

Also the boris is not as compact it does not have spheres so its got externalized tanks. If I wanted externalized tanks they would be sidemount :) Among other things, I will let you know what I think further once I dive a unit that has some of the lowest work of breathing of any unit.

Crazy that they still work so well after 32 years! Super jealous.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Finally got back out into the ocean after months of cancelled dives to to weather and broken boat motors. Did a three tank dive off of West Palm Beach yesterday. A couple wreck dives and a reef dive. I hadn't done a wreck, let along a wreck penetration so that was a pretty cool experience. It was a really easy wreck to go through, wide open areas that were easy to swim through with several people in our group. Took a few cool photos while I was down there, but as I just came to realize. None of my card readers will read an XD card and the guy I bought the camera from couldn't find the cable for the camera, so for now they are stuck on my card. Time to do some shopping.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Buy a cable rather than a card reader. I've had bad experiences with poor quality card readers completely ruining XD cards.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
My buddy just got back from the bahamas doing some cave diving and this is the video he sent me of a dive. Cave diving, while incredibly cool, terrifies the poo poo out of me. http://vimeo.com/45391840

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Crunkjuice posted:

My buddy just got back from the bahamas doing some cave diving and this is the video he sent me of a dive. Cave diving, while incredibly cool, terrifies the poo poo out of me. http://vimeo.com/45391840

Gasleak at 76ft.. Appears they were on 32% O2 Luv ya Shearwater :)

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Crazy that they still work so well after 32 years! Super jealous.

Whats more crazy?

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/megalodon-rebreather/18260-isc-posts-test-data-15.html#post180011

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 9, 2012

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Finch! posted:

Buy a cable rather than a card reader. I've had bad experiences with poor quality card readers completely ruining XD cards.

I actually ordered both, but I could have used the USB card reader for CF cards anyways. I'll probably stick to the cable for copying over images from the XD then.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I saw an spotted eagle ray yesterday. SO COOL! I followed it around for about a minute before it started getting too far out from the reef. I wish my camera case came in.

I sadly had to cancel my night dive for tonight because of work. Last one I need before I'm an advanced open water diver. I do have to say I was disappointed with the wreck dive I did here. Not even exaggerating, It took 1000 psi to get down to the site, and we literally stayed there for 45 seconds before we had to swim back an alternate route.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 12, 2012

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
This is the scuba diving thread. :confused:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Trivia posted:

This is the scuba diving thread. :confused:

Oh, sorry, I got confused.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

So pretty and so invasive.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

TLG James posted:

Yeah, I have a few pictures of lionfish too and keep wondering if I should kill them instead of photographing them. Or maybe both?

Those things are gonna wreck the Caribbean, aren't they? :(

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 16, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

jackyl posted:

Yeah, I have a few pictures of lionfish too and keep wondering if I should kill them instead of photographing them. Or maybe both?

Those things are gonna wreck the Caribbean, aren't they? :(

If you have the means, always kill every one you see. Its not gonna help a ton. But its better then nothing.

If its decent size, keep it and eat it. Bring some shears to cut the spines off in the water. They make delicious civiche and fried invasive nuggets.

Dont get stabbed. Its way worse then jelly/manowar/firecoral/bristleworm

So many have been killed here I barely see them at recreation depths anymore. Too bad there is billions in 200+ feet :negative: :negative:

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 16, 2012

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Got my card reader and cable now and I thought I'd post one of my better photos.

I'm headed down to Key Largo and Key West for a few days from August 1st-5th. I'm still holding out hope to dive with Bishop off his boat in Key Largo while I'm down here. I sent him a PM a few weeks ago and haven't heard back, haven't seen him in the thread either.

Does anyone have any recommendations for charters in Key West and potentially Key Largo if I don't hear back from Bishop?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

rockcity posted:

Got my card reader and cable now and I thought I'd post one of my better photos.

I'm headed down to Key Largo and Key West for a few days from August 1st-5th. I'm still holding out hope to dive with Bishop off his boat in Key Largo while I'm down here. I sent him a PM a few weeks ago and haven't heard back, haven't seen him in the thread either.

Does anyone have any recommendations for charters in Key West and potentially Key Largo if I don't hear back from Bishop?

Whos Inspo Classic?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

SlicerDicer posted:

Whos Inspo Classic?

A buddy of mine's. He bought it used off of my other buddy who replaced it with the newer model that doesn't have all the dangling gauges. He tried to get me to buy it, but I didn't have the money at the time.

crooks5001
Dec 27, 2006
This one's for Jesus...

TLG James posted:

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!

but seriously, they are yummy when prepared properly.

edit: I got to do some research in Discovery Bay, Jamaica doing about 3 dives a day for a month back in 2010. These buggers were everywhere. Saw a few that were the size of a basketball if not larger. Just make sure you don't get stabbed by their spines if you decide to start spearing em, very poisonous.

crooks5001 fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 16, 2012

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

If you have the means, always kill every one you see. Its not gonna help a ton. But its better then nothing.

On this island, they make you have some sort of permit to do it. I just got my AOW, and I don't feel like putting another 150 bucks down so I can stab a slow moving fish.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

rockcity posted:

A buddy of mine's. He bought it used off of my other buddy who replaced it with the newer model that doesn't have all the dangling gauges. He tried to get me to buy it, but I didn't have the money at the time.

I would personally prefer a Inspo Vision as that is what I own as well as my Mk15 was just wondering.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Gonna be going down to the keys (staying in big pine) for Lobster Mini Season. Tue-Friday. To say I am excited would be a huge understatement.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Some photos.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Gizmodo has a sweet diving-related article series that I thought that you guys would definitely be interested in. They've got some guys diving down to the last remaining underwater research base and showing off how amazing it is. Apparently the thing has been operating for 20 years!

quote:

You can see it from the surface of the water: a blue outline 50 feet down. Aquarius. The last undersea base. Diving down to it is like falling slowly into another world.

I wish I could live there. The fish would be my neighbors. The sky would always be blue—if a little wet. And, instead of a stroll, I'd just go for a swim. This Saturday, I watched Aquanauts move in. And then it was my turn. I threw on my gear and hit the water.

The visibility was 60-70 feet, as it often is in here. I could see schools of fish gathering around the habitat's hull; it looked like an Airstream—if an Airstream was designed to be towed behind a nuclear submarine.

As soon as we drop below, the clock starts its count down. Since I am not diving saturated—as the Aquanauts are—I can only stay down for 82 minutes. Aquarius' base is 60 feet below, on the bottom of Conch Reef, but it's less than 2 minutes to the entrance, which is at 48 feet. That leaves 10 minutes to change out of my wet clothing and 10 minutes at the end of the visit to get out and get back to the surface. And about an hour in the base itself. One mustn't dawdle outside with the fish.

http://gizmodo.com/5926433/this-is-how-you-live-at-the-bottom-of-the-ocean

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Kaal posted:

Gizmodo has a sweet diving-related article series that I thought that you guys would definitely be interested in. They've got some guys diving down to the last remaining underwater research base and showing off how amazing it is. Apparently the thing has been operating for 20 years!

http://gizmodo.com/5926433/this-is-how-you-live-at-the-bottom-of-the-ocean

Yet we blast poo poo to the moon and cant look at our own water. We humans are feard of water by in large.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum
I'm struggling with popping my ears...

Did the "pool dive" yesterday at Seattle Scuba. We only went down to 7', my right ear popped fine, but my left never did. All day today it's been making noises as I flex my jaws. This weekend is the open-water dive in the Puget Sound and I'm worried I won't be able to get my ear pressure-balanced enough for the dive.

I've been doing the "hold nose and blow against it" trick. The instruction book said to repeat this every foot or so as you descend, which I was doing. It said that if you have trouble then ascend a few feet and try again, which I did. It said to go slowly, and I swear I took five minutes to reach 7'. I also tried taking my regulator out of my mouth and stretching my mouth+jaw, like a yawn. Nothing really worked.

Does anyone have tips on ear-balancing please?

I don't have a cold or any congestion. Maybe my sinuses are just generally clogged? Would neti-pot do any good?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Sometimes I find it helps to loosen up my neck muscles a bit by rolling my head around. But mostly I just hold my nose and blow against it to clear. Basically it's just takes a bit of practice to figure out what works for you. My best piece of advice to you is to take it slowly, since if you irritate your ears then it can become more difficult.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

In addition to pinching and blowing, also work your jaw around. Back and forth, side to side, diagonally as much as you can. This also works the muscles in your face/head and can pop your ears. I'm lucky enough to where i don't pinch/blow my nose to clear, i just move my jaws forward and they pop.

Neti pot won't hurt, but i doubt it'll help.

Just practice, get comfortable in the water, and go real slow. Like, as slow as you humanly can.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
just remember forceful equalization can result in round window rupture.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

When I am having some trouble with one of my ears I find that swallowing while doing a regular Valsalva (pinch and blow) works really well.

Another big mistake people make is going a little too deep without equalizing. Once you go to deep you're already messing stuff up and making it harder to equalize. Going up will undo it to a certain degree, but your ears wont be like if you had dont it right the first time. Its a downward sprial of ear sadness.

If you cant equalize dont force it though.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Eels Rock

Mark 15 Rebreathering.

So the bad news I was at 40ft starting the dive and flooded my primary electronics.. Zero electronics thus I had to fly my mark 15 manually via the analog gauge built before I was born. Yay for Mark 15! Note: Could the boris do this?

Anyway so yeah I did a 45m dive it was pretty nice at Molokini yesterday.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
Just got home yesterday from my 5th Blackbeard's Cruise out of the Bahamas. Took 22 other people with me on a trip leaving out of Nassau. We had a grand old time.

For more info you guys can check out their site: http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com

If you have any questions about the trip I would be happy to answer them:

Giant Stride at night by christopherpaulscott, on Flickr

Cassie on Danger Reef by christopherpaulscott, on Flickr

Sharks 2 by christopherpaulscott, on Flickr

Wreck of the Austin Smith by christopherpaulscott, on Flickr

Going Up by christopherpaulscott, on Flickr

Christmas Tree Worms by christopherpaulscott, on Flickr

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

Just got home yesterday from my 5th Blackbeard's Cruise out of the Bahamas. Took 22 other people with me on a trip leaving out of Nassau. We had a grand old time.

I'd love a detailed trip report. I've thought about going on one for a while. I've heard varying things from "OH GOD SO MUCH RUM" to serious hardcore diving. It seems like a bunch of fun, but i'd love to hear from someone first hand about their trip.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Crunkjuice posted:

I'd love a detailed trip report. I've thought about going on one for a while. I've heard varying things from "OH GOD SO MUCH RUM" to serious hardcore diving. It seems like a bunch of fun, but i'd love to hear from someone first hand about their trip.

I'm going to write a blog post about it for my shop's site sooner rather than later. I'll cross post it here.

Like I said earlier it was my 5th time so that should tell you how much I like the trip. For the quality of dives it is probably the best bang for the buck out there. For less than a thousand bucks you get an Exumas liveaboard that averages ~20 dives in six days plus all the food and booze you could possibly want. The only thing to keep in mind is that you are on a fairly small boat (65 feet) with a lot of people and it's pretty much roughing it. I usually call it an adventure not a vacation. I took 22 other people with me and everyone had an amazing time. I even asked my girlfriend to marry me while we where there.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Anyone here try sidemount? The slim profile and ease of schlepping gear to shore dive sites appeals to me over doubles as I'd like to start doing some tech diving.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ehnus posted:

Anyone here try sidemount? The slim profile and ease of schlepping gear to shore dive sites appeals to me over doubles as I'd like to start doing some tech diving.

I got midway through the first dive of TDI Sidemount and busted my shoulder. I've since had surgery and hope to do the course again when I get a chance.

It was pretty cool. Side slung tanks are a lot easier to handle than back mounted manifolded doubles, and I liked the feel in the water, but don't really think that a 50 minute dive is enough to give much useful feedback.

The lack of manifold can be annoying but it's easy to overcome, and UTD even have a thing called a "Z Manifold" as part of their "Z-Side-Mount-System" which seems to introduce all sorts of failure points but resolves the manifold issue.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

ehnus posted:

I am always carrying twin 40cf sling bottles they are pretty awesome really but thats just bailout. I doubt it will be much different with twin 80cf. One of these days I will buy some bungies and strap them back LOL

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

I took 22 other people with me and everyone had an amazing time. I even asked my girlfriend to marry me while we where there.

Congrats if she said yes!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ZoCrowes posted:

I'm going to write a blog post about it for my shop's site sooner rather than later. I'll cross post it here.

Like I said earlier it was my 5th time so that should tell you how much I like the trip. For the quality of dives it is probably the best bang for the buck out there. For less than a thousand bucks you get an Exumas liveaboard that averages ~20 dives in six days plus all the food and booze you could possibly want. The only thing to keep in mind is that you are on a fairly small boat (65 feet) with a lot of people and it's pretty much roughing it. I usually call it an adventure not a vacation. I took 22 other people with me and everyone had an amazing time. I even asked my girlfriend to marry me while we where there.

Awesome man, congrats! Looking forward to the blog post and photos. Sorry we couldn't do it this year, but we had all our trips planned out early. We have definitely talked about doing it next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

I'm looking for some advice from people who know a lot more about this than I do.

I've just signed up for my open water cert, done the first two classes and have the pool next week. Unfortunately, I've just found out I have to have a tooth pulled and it will happen right between my pool dives and the quarry dives for my cert.

The dentist, when I asked him if and how this would affect my diving, had varying opinions. Two dentists, one was saying I was out for a month, at least. The other was saying that if it clots up well I should be able to dive within the week.

When I asked the dive shop about dental stuff, since the military did most my fillings and they are crap, (Haven't asked them about the tooth extraction yet, cause I didn't know) said that if poo poo starts to hurt, stop and go back up. Simple and elegant, but not really the most informative.

So... I am getting a tooth pulled about 5 days before my certification dive to 60'. Do I need to make plans to reschedule this, or am I just worrying myself over something fairly trivial?