Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached
was watching Havoc 1993, forgot all about this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLvcxesvpSM

Afterwards, Schiavone asks Jesse if that was actually him in the house, because "I've never been to that house!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chinston Wurchill posted:

They've started doing this occasionally on NXT. I hope they keep it up!
Weirdly, this has been happening on Impact and it got guys like Kenny King way more over than just about anything else would have. It's so simple.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

BAN DICKEYE posted:

If that was the case, why did Ace book an entirely new and separate tag division in the Cruiser tag Titles in WCW? Or was that a Bischoff call when he was preparing to buy the company?
I don't know the timeframe of the Johnny Ace Q&A, but I've definitely heard the "why pay for four workers when you can do the same thing with two?" rationale thrown around in interviews with workers who wrestled in WCW/WWF long before Ace was involved with booking either, and I've seen that mentality (and the one about managers) attributed directly to Vince in many places.

It's certainly become even more extreme in the past decade or so, but even when WWF did have a strong tag division, it's never been as high profile as it is in a lot of other territories.

So Johnny Ace might not be a hypocrite directly as much as a company line-towing yes man.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Listen, all you guys do in this thread is bash WCW but if it weren't for Van Hammer and the Kiss Demon :colbert:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Rarity posted:

Listen, all you guys do in this thread is bash WCW but if it weren't for Van Hammer and the Kiss Demon :colbert:
Yeah, if it wasn't for WCW, we wouldn't have cruiserweights, the Monday Night Wars, Ralphus...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Perigryn posted:

Yeah, if it wasn't for WCW, we wouldn't have cruiserweights, the Monday Night Wars, Ralphus...

You forgot Dean Malenkoooo.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
And heels you can cheer for because they're so cool and hip. :c00lbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Toffile posted:

You forgot Dean Malenkoooo.

We wouldn't have any of Reed Flair's contributions to the business like

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
You forgot Chris Jericho and Lenny Lane feuding over Loverboy tapes.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So people were talking pages back about Hogan's "Dark Side" promos. There's one that used to be on YouTube that involved Hogan, Savage, a guy looking and sounding oddly like Jericho (it wasn't Jericho) rocking out and singing a song about Dark Side Hogan and a somehow inebriated, probably homeless little person between Hogan and Savage, alternately rambling and agreeing with whatever is being said.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Darkside Hogan" was their last ditch attempt to repackage him before they eventually turned him heel.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

"Darkside Hogan" was their last ditch attempt to repackage him before they eventually turned him heel.

I always wondered how things would have shaken out had they went with Sting instead of Hogan.

Would they have just jobbed out to Hogan, Luger and Savage like a month later?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

I always wondered how things would have shaken out had they went with Sting instead of Hogan.

Would they have just jobbed out to Hogan, Luger and Savage like a month later?
It might have been really big, but not something that made the business explode like Hogan turning heel.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Rarity posted:

Kiss Demon unironically owns and has been in some of the best segments of all time.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So people were talking pages back about Hogan's "Dark Side" promos. There's one that used to be on YouTube that involved Hogan, Savage, a guy looking and sounding oddly like Jericho (it wasn't Jericho) rocking out and singing a song about Dark Side Hogan and a somehow inebriated, probably homeless little person between Hogan and Savage, alternately rambling and agreeing with whatever is being said.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

here you go dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr-Hayn19Z8

darkside hogan was such a bizarre, aborted angle given that literally nothing changed except hogan's attire and sullivan's face paint. and the surreality of the promos increased i guess.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NOTHIN BUT CHUNK posted:

here you go dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr-Hayn19Z8

darkside hogan was such a bizarre, aborted angle given that literally nothing changed except hogan's attire and sullivan's face paint. and the surreality of the promos increased i guess.

Love ya buddy. Only shame is that the start of part 2 is right after the AWESOME song. It's annoying to go back and forth, maybe there's an uncut video of the Nitro somewhere.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfitScS91ww&t=416s

Amazing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This does not seem likely, but that singer instantly reminds me of the King's X vocalist.

This is a very important post.

YouTube has declared that the guy between Hogan and Savage is clearly the Necro Butcher.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It might have been really big, but not something that made the business explode like Hogan turning heel.

Yeah, Meltzer speculated that with Bret Hart they would have been fairly big but "...since Hogan was the money" it wouldn't have been a game changer.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
A few days/pages back MassRayPer had an old Observer quote about Austin and not wanting to job to The Renegade. Well reading that I decided to look up The Renegade on Wikipedia and right there on the page, with a picture of him, is the most WCW thing.

The caption under it: The tribute to Rick Williams that aired on WCW Monday Nitro after his death; note the erroneous reference to him as "Rick Wilson".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I feel bad for laughing at that, but drat I did.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Suben posted:

A few days/pages back MassRayPer had an old Observer quote about Austin and not wanting to job to The Renegade. Well reading that I decided to look up The Renegade on Wikipedia and right there on the page, with a picture of him, is the most WCW thing.

The caption under it: The tribute to Rick Williams that aired on WCW Monday Nitro after his death; note the erroneous reference to him as "Rick Wilson".

That can't be real. Even as dumb as WCW was, they couldn't have hosed up like that, could they? I don't actually doubt that they did, but I'm surprised I've never heard of that before.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That is very WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Looking back through google it seems like that tribute caused pretty much every site that did Nitro recaps back then to refer to him as Rick Wilson. So it was a screw up that made a bunch of people call him by the wrong name. Yikes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

That can't be real. Even as dumb as WCW was, they couldn't have hosed up like that, could they? I don't actually doubt that they did, but I'm surprised I've never heard of that before.

Yeah, I went and looked at the episode after reading that. It definitely happened.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
From the May 29, 1995 Observer:

Wrestling Observer posted:

Van Hammer (Mark Hildreth) made the news again this past week. The Atlanta area police raided some sex shops in Buckhead including one owned by Hammer's family. Hammer, who was constantly called a WCW wrestler, was on WGST radio ridiculing police for busting sex shops when they should be chasing real criminals.
So THAT'S why he didn't want to be Private Stash! :lol:

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 25, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I finally got around to watching Rise and Fall of WCW. How accurate is most of the stuff about Crockett and the sale to Turner? I never knew much about it and it was interesting to see how that happened along with the growth of cable TV.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

I finally got around to watching Rise and Fall of WCW. How accurate is most of the stuff about Crockett and the sale to Turner? I never knew much about it and it was interesting to see how that happened along with the growth of cable TV.

I haven't seen the DVD, what specifically are you referring too? The Observer had like a 5 page run-down on how shallow that documentary was and how much it skipped over.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that doc was useless, more or less.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The interviews were fun.

Big Show was so mad about being underpaid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The doc was fun but only really works if you know enough of the story to fill in the blanks and catch the BS. Then you can enjoy the good and laugh at the bad. But if you're kind of ignorant to the Monday Night Wars and WCWs history then you have no way of deciphering it.

It's why I've never bothered with the WWE WCCW DVD. I don't know much of anything about WCCW so I'd just be walking myself into lies.

Man, WWE is writing wrestling history and in a generation no one will know the truth.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

The doc was fun but only really works if you know enough of the story to fill in the blanks and catch the BS. Then you can enjoy the good and laugh at the bad. But if you're kind of ignorant to the Monday Night Wars and WCWs history then you have no way of deciphering it.

It's why I've never bothered with the WWE WCCW DVD. I don't know much of anything about WCCW so I'd just be walking myself into lies.

Man, WWE is writing wrestling history and in a generation no one will know the truth.

Their WCCW DVD isn't that bad. It's not as good as Heroes of World Class, but nothing was going to be that comprehensive and dark.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Suben posted:

Up until I saw that, I thought his name was Rick Wilson.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRayPer posted:

Their WCCW DVD isn't that bad. It's not as good as Heroes of World Class, but nothing was going to be that comprehensive and dark.

The WWE WCCW docu has a bunch of WCCW matches, which justifies the purchase. Quit sitting on loving footage, WWE.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Are there any of those streams up that just show 24/7 WCW? I love when there's one available and I know I can watch 20 minutes of WCW at any time

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There used to be a guy who streamed the whole Monday night war 24/7 but his poo poo went down and I don't think anyone else has taken over.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

God, I remember that stream.

When we got to January 4th 1999, everyone watching it went loving crazy. The words "BUTTS IN SEATS" were used a LOT.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
What exactly is needed to stream the stuff? If its not too complicated I could probably set something up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Dickeye posted:

There used to be a guy who streamed the whole Monday night war 24/7 but his poo poo went down and I don't think anyone else has taken over.

Yeah, that's the one. Really, if the WWE Network was just that, I'd be happy. I just want to see random great old wrestling any time I turn on the TV

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, that's the one. Really, if the WWE Network was just that, I'd be happy. I just want to see random great old wrestling any time I turn on the TV

That is why I don't understand why anyone wants the Network to fail. If they can launch it and it breaks even that will be such a great source of stuff we just couldn't see otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It has to be very hard to get that network on the air... Small networks like Oprah's OWN are losing money, and WWE doesnt have other stations to withold for negotiating power like ESPN and ESPN Classic.