Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kharmakazy posted:

Where do people keep getting dogs from? There are only a handful in the world so breeding them must be pretty hard. You could probably make a fortune selling dogs to wastelanders.

Why would you think there are only a handful of dogs left?

EDIT: That is loving insane.
VVVVVVVV

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Fallout New Vegas is a Flash Deal on Steam right now until 10am PDT:

main game $4.99
Ultimate Edition $9.99
GRA and Courier's Stash $0.49 each
all other DLC $2.49 each
IT'S OVER

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 17, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OldMemes posted:

Yes Man, on the other hand, creeps me out somethig fierce.

Yes Man cracks me up on a meta design level. It's like they looked at all the quests they had to feed you into, looked at how many weeks they had left till it shipped and were all WELP let's just put in an EXPLAINOBOT.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kharmakazy posted:

Yeah, I mean.. shakespear wrote some good stuff, but he got all those words from the dictionary so webster's basically wrote the plays.

I understand, and agree with, your point, but this is a terrible analogy.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Ah yes so Obsidian did everything that made the game good, Bethesda did everything that made the game bad.I accept your position.
Well, yeah. I don't really disagree with this.

I mean, even if using poo poo Bethesda made only made New Vegas crappier (which I don't fully agree with, but whatever), that's still a hell of a lot of poo poo that made the game actually feasible to produce, even if you view that all as just cutting corners.

I guess based on peoples reactions it came off like I was defending Bethesda or attacking Obsidian or something. I wasn't. I was just pointing out that Obsidian didn't exactly build New Vegas from the ground up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yechezkel posted:

main game $4.99
Ultimate Edition $9.99
all other DLC $2.49 each

AHAHAH oh that is such good news. Bought in a goddam heartbeat.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Pope Guilty posted:

Bethesda notably did the QA, and then reviewers complained endlessly about crashes and instability.
Don't forget that Bethesda vetoed design decisions from Obsidian because they own the IP.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Sober posted:

Don't forget that Bethesda vetoed design decisions from Obsidian because they own the IP.

I'm pretty sure this isn't actually true.

I mean, obviously Bethesda owns the IP and had a heavy say in what the game was going to be, but I'm pretty sure they didn't veto many, if any, design decisions.

but thou must!
Apr 30, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't actually true.

I mean, obviously Bethesda owns the IP and had a heavy say in what the game was going to be, but I'm pretty sure they didn't veto many, if any, design decisions.

I could be misremembering, but I recall someone at Obsidian saying they originally wanted to make a game set much earlier in the timeline, but Bethesda was unwavering in their policy that all sequels must chronologically move their series' forward.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

but thou must! posted:

I could be misremembering, but I recall someone at Obsidian saying they originally wanted to make a game set much earlier in the timeline, but Bethesda was unwavering in their policy that all sequels must chronologically move their series' forward.

Yes, that's a fairly different statement than 'Bethesda vetoed design decisions'.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

Yes, that's a fairly different statement than 'Bethesda vetoed design decisions'.

How? Is the time frame a design decision? Yes. Was it vetoed? Yes. The only hangup I see is the "s" on the end of decision.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Kharmakazy posted:

How? Is the time frame a design decision? Yes. Was it vetoed? Yes. The only hangup I see is the "s" on the end of decision.

Bethesda's company policy of having an ever progressing timeline for their personally owned IP's precluding Obsidian from making a game set in the past (which isn't even confirmed as far as I know) during early development talks is a far sight different, and carries a lot of different implications from the idea that Bethesda personally came in and vetoed Obsidian's design decisions.

'Setting and timeline' is a conceptual concern at the stage we're talking about, not a design one.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

Bethesda's company policy of having an ever progressing timeline for their personally owned IP's precluding Obsidian from making a game set in the past (which isn't even confirmed as far as I know) during early development talks is a far sight different, and carries a lot of different implications from the idea that Bethesda personally came in and vetoed Obsidian's design decisions.

'Setting and timeline' is a conceptual concern at the stage we're talking about, not a design one.

I contest your distinction between "conceptual concern" and "design decision". This just seems like your personal opinion rather than based in logic or facts.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Kharmakazy posted:

I contest your distinction between "conceptual concern" and "design decision". This just seems like your personal opinion rather than based in logic or facts.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret, but you can't tell anyone; I'm a human being and not an advanced computation matrix. I know, terrible, but most of what I post is based on my personal opinion rather than logic or facts.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I wish they had made New Vegas a Flash Deal in the afternoon/evening; I know people I'm pretty sure are going to miss out.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

I'm going to let you in on a little secret, but you can't tell anyone; I'm a human being and not an advanced computation matrix. I know, terrible, but most of what I post is based on my personal opinion rather than logic or facts.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Kalos posted:

I don't know if it ever gets mentioned in the main games, but in the original unrleased Fallout 3 Denver was supposed to be a city completely overrun with wild dogs. Salvagers there would maintain a series of bridges between rooftops and upper floors. So clearly dogs are doing just fine after the apocalypse.

Ulysses has a throwaway reference to packs of Denver hounds. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yechezkel posted:

main game $4.99
Ultimate Edition $9.99
all other DLC $2.49 each

Thanks to this I finally picked up Courier's Stash, and now I have everything New Vegas - I can install jsawyer's mod and try out an entirely new character, and finally go Legion!

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I just bought and installed Dead Money, is it supposed to just automatically load the Sierra Madre broadcast as soon as I start the game or do I have to wander around first?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Thompsons posted:

I just bought and installed Dead Money, is it supposed to just automatically load the Sierra Madre broadcast as soon as I start the game or do I have to wander around first?

It should load shortly after you enter the game.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
I finally got OWB working and holy poo poo it's my favourite DLC of them all so far (just starting Lonesome Road then I'll have completed all of them). Boros is loving amazing, someone compared him to an old sci-fi narrator and that's perfect. I mostly went through it Salt-Upon-Wounds fisting everyone to death, why have I not built an Unarmed/Melee bruiser yet? Punch robots in the face erryday.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Thompsons posted:

If it doesn't, change your cell. Enter a building or just wander far enough in one direction until you load a new area and it should pop up.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Synonymous posted:

I finally got OWB working and holy poo poo it's my favourite DLC of them all so far (just starting Lonesome Road then I'll have completed all of them). Boros is loving amazing, someone compared him to an old sci-fi narrator and that's perfect. I mostly went through it Salt-Upon-Wounds fisting everyone to death, why have I not built an Unarmed/Melee bruiser yet? Punch robots in the face erryday.

Of my 3 completed (on my 4th, now) playthroughs of FNV, my melee/unarmed run was the most fun. Kind of disappointed I'm playing with guns again as some sort of cowboy gimmick :(

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Synonymous posted:

It helps that OWB has some very awesome melee and unarmed weapons, I was so happy when I got my hands on a Proton Axe, it was like playing Wasteland all over again. :allears:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Yechezkel posted:

main game $4.99
Ultimate Edition $9.99
all other DLC $2.49 each

And Fallout 3 GOTY is $4.99. Cheap enough that I just bought both and when I finish my 360 playthrough I'll probably mess around with mods.

EDIT: Is it possible to play this game with a 360 gamepad? I've never really liked mouse and keyboard play which is the biggest reason I don't normally PC game.

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 16, 2012

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kharmakazy posted:

Yeah, I mean.. shakespear wrote some good stuff, but he got all those words from the dictionary so webster's basically wrote the plays.

Skwirl posted:

I understand, and agree with, your point, but this is a terrible analogy.

And to finish it off, there also wasn't a proper English dictionary until the 18th century.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Epi Lepi posted:

EDIT: Is it possible to play this game with a 360 gamepad? I've never really liked mouse and keyboard play which is the biggest reason I don't normally PC game.

Yep, my friend has played both FO3 and NV with a 360 controller before.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Starhawk64 posted:

It helps that OWB has some very awesome melee and unarmed weapons, I was so happy when I got my hands on a Proton Axe, it was like playing Wasteland all over again. :allears:

I really liked the Proton Axe, but the Superheated Saturnite Fist is just the best thing, I mean the best thing.
Also Oh Baby! is still my favorite melee weapon, even with the fist existing. Sometimes punching someone's head off isn't as exciting as bashing them into pieces.

Edit: PS Search hard enough and you'll find the Protonic Inversal Axe, which is even more fun and my go-to against robots.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

I really liked the Proton Axe, but the Superheated Saturnite Fist is just the best thing, I mean the best thing.
Also Oh Baby! is still my favorite melee weapon, even with the fist existing. Sometimes punching someone's head off isn't as exciting as bashing them into pieces.

Edit: PS Search hard enough and you'll find the Protonic Inversal Axe, which is even more fun and my go-to against robots.

I honestly can't praise the signature weapon mod enough. Making the shovel a viable and useful weapon is doing god's work.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
put me also down as buying the ultimate edition because of the steam summer sale.

preordered the game when it came out for the PS3. played through it once without any DLC. really curious how it plays on the PC and what all the DLC has to offer. from what I've heard they're all awesome.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Epi Lepi posted:

And Fallout 3 GOTY is $4.99. Cheap enough that I just bought both and when I finish my 360 playthrough I'll probably mess around with mods.

I do it all the time. It's a little less reactive than a mouse and keyboard, but other than that it works great.

Edit:

Qwezz posted:

put me also down as buying the ultimate edition because of the steam summer sale.

preordered the game when it came out for the PS3. played through it once without any DLC. really curious how it plays on the PC and what all the DLC has to offer. from what I've heard they're all awesome.

I loved all of them, though they're a bit divisive-a lot of people disliked Dead Money in particular (Though it's probably my second favorite behind OWB.) They're all well worth the price however, especially on sale.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 16, 2012

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

The worst part of the DLC is the realization that each could be made into their own amazing stand alone games but that it will never happen.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

The worst part of the DLC is the realization that each could be made into their own amazing stand alone games but that it will never happen.

I'm sure they are hard at work on the courier's stash and GRA standalone games.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Kharmakazy posted:

I'm sure they are hard at work on the courier's stash and GRA standalone games.

Man, I can't wait till I get the realistic experience of sitting in the back of the Gun Runners factory, a true commute to work experience.

"Each day I walk through from my humble Freeside abode, past the masses of homeless out to the compound. I stick around at the gate for a minute or two and have a chat with the guards - that Dave on security detail is a real wild card, some of the things he comes out with - then walk on in to my workbench, where I sit and work for eight hours straight. Then I go home so I can do it all again the next day! My life could never be better."

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
So has Bethesda given any hints at all about Fallout 4 besides saying that they want to do more Fallout games in general?

EDIT: As a New Yorker, I'd personally love to go back to the East Coast and see what's up in the NY-MA area.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I kind of want a Colorado game.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Epi Lepi posted:

So has Bethesda given any hints at all about Fallout 4 besides saying that they want to do more Fallout games in general?

not yet, no.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

VanSandman posted:

This would be cool too, all the tidbits of info we've been given about Denver sound really neat.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

VanSandman posted:

Didn't the Legion control Colorado or something? It'd be really interesting, albeit unlikely, to have the Legion be the main faction controlling an area. Maybe set up a Brotherhood conflict or gently caress, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I maintain that work on Fallout Marianas: Back in the trenches is already well underway. I would post the details from earlier, but I can't find my post.