Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Ended up in some Italian near Highbury and Islington. It was alright, better than your usual Italian fare but nothing to write home about. San Marco has always intrigued me, and we thought about going there a couple of nights ago, but I read some bad reviews and I don't really like risking it with Italian because when it's bad, it's really disappointing. If it's good, though, I'll keep it in mind for when we're back in the city. Thanks for the suggestions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I had lunch at Tajima-Tei on Leather Lane today, and it was very good! I don't think what we had is on their online menu, sorry, but it was all fabulous - we went for two assortments of sushi and sashimi, at about £15 each (it's not the cheapest place), and the quality was excellent. The tuna was oily in a good way, the mackerel was unforgettable. The restaurant was full of Japanese people which is always pretty telling.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

That pretty cool, might go for there and then beers at the Craft Beer Co sometime.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I had a cheeseburger and fries tonight at Meat Liquor, it lived up to all expectations. And since I've basically been awake for the last two days, I am rapidly entering a meat coma.

Only complaint is that the music was so loud that my ears are ringing, but I guess that's the ambience of the place.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Were you sitting under the dome? That does weird things acoustically.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Were you sitting under the dome? That does weird things acoustically.

Yes, in fact. The music was loud even at the bar while we were waiting, but under the dome we could hear the conversation of the table on the other side of the dome as if they were sitting next to us, which made me look over my shoulder a lot.

We did Westminster this morning, and had breakfast at the Regency Cafe. Now I'm wondering where I can get back bacon at home, because that was awesome. It was also nice to be able to get a strong cup of tea - in the States the tea tends to be pretty wimpy, and I like mine a bit more robust.

My husband and I were part of someone's scavenger hunt today over near the Old Bailey. They had to find tourists from several different nationalities. One of the guys spotted my husband's big camera and they all rushed over to ask what country we were from. They needed proof of nationality in their picture, and for some reason I forgot I had a US passport and Virginia driver's license in my purse. I ended up holding out a pair of $20 bills I had in my wallet, which I guess was good enough for them.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

On thursday i went to http://www.brasseriezedel.com/ and it was great! Really reasonably priced for the quality of the food, fillet steak for £15 which is probably the best i've had in london (not gone to hawksmoor) and a set menu of beetroot salad, duck confit, sorbet and wine and coffee was £20. Stunningly beautiful place too. Menu is all in french though but they have an english one available.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Well, today we leave - we're sitting in the terminal at Heathrow now.

Here are all the places in London we managed to eat:
Meat Liquor
Princi
Byron
Wahaca
The Real Greek
Archduke
The Old Brewery (Greenwich)
Punjab
The cafe in the crypt at St. Martin-in-the-fields
Junction Tavern (Kentish Town)

There was also a quick breakfast at Willows in Andover and dinner at one of the various Beefeater Grill locations (this one was in Reading). The former was very good and quaint, the latter was not bad for a chain restaurant. Since it was the Fourth of July we had a slice of apple pie for dessert.

We tried to go to the Bull and Last after we wrapped up at Highgate but they were having some kind of private function (and were really rude about it, actually...). Yelp led me down the road to the Junction Tavern. It was really good! I had a mushroom soup that really tasted like biting into a grilled mushroom, and an herbed potato cake with broccolini and tomato sauce.

We also stopped in for drinks at the Rake and the Southampton Arms. I didn't even bother to learn the brand names of the ciders I drank, because I know I won't be able to get them at home. The one I had at the Rake was their dry selection and it was fantastic.

All in all we had a lot of good food. I took pictures of just about everything, and I'm going to do a detailed trip report on my blog when I get home.

Thanks for all the recommendations, folks :) I definitely think the trip was better for having some local advice.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

RazorBunny posted:

Well, today we leave - we're sitting in the terminal at Heathrow now.

Here are all the places in London we managed to eat:
Meat Liquor
Princi
Byron
Wahaca
The Real Greek
Archduke
The Old Brewery (Greenwich)
Punjab
The cafe in the crypt at St. Martin-in-the-fields
Junction Tavern (Kentish Town)

There was also a quick breakfast at Willows in Andover and dinner at one of the various Beefeater Grill locations (this one was in Reading). The former was very good and quaint, the latter was not bad for a chain restaurant. Since it was the Fourth of July we had a slice of apple pie for dessert.

We tried to go to the Bull and Last after we wrapped up at Highgate but they were having some kind of private function (and were really rude about it, actually...). Yelp led me down the road to the Junction Tavern. It was really good! I had a mushroom soup that really tasted like biting into a grilled mushroom, and an herbed potato cake with broccolini and tomato sauce.

We also stopped in for drinks at the Rake and the Southampton Arms. I didn't even bother to learn the brand names of the ciders I drank, because I know I won't be able to get them at home. The one I had at the Rake was their dry selection and it was fantastic.

All in all we had a lot of good food. I took pictures of just about everything, and I'm going to do a detailed trip report on my blog when I get home.

Thanks for all the recommendations, folks :) I definitely think the trip was better for having some local advice.
That sounds like a pretty great list of places to have tried. Glad you had a good and tasty trip!

Ragingstiffballs
Jul 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Camden town under the bridge, veitmanese, cheap, dirty, but good food, cooked by the cat.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Please say that was intentional :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ragingstiffballs posted:

Camden town under the bridge, veitmanese, cheap, dirty, but good food, cooked by the cat.

With all the neon, at night that place looks like its the Blade Runner set. It's great. :)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
:confused:
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

By the Stables at Camden Market/Lock there's a bunch of little food stands under the bridge.

http://anglotopia.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/DSC01314.JPG

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
I know - I used to live in Camden but they're all horrific dire places that I would seriously advise avoiding, unless it's that specifically amazing falafel place somewhere deep into the stables area.

I was just baffled a bit someone would recommend it :psyduck: Maybe things have change. (Probably not though.)

Ragingstiffballs
Jul 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Camden is always a dogey place, but there is a good place to eat here and there. Just don't go walking down the river on your own, or with your girlfriend. They will rob you there.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Going to Medlar in Chelsea in a few weeks for lunch. Pretty excited :) Weird name though.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
Only places worth visiting in Camden market are the Coffee Circus stands and the Italian pasta stand outside Gilgamesh -Coffee Circus make bloody good coffee and the pasta stand is probably the freshest thing you'll get, the rest is either a greasy melange of leftovers from the day before or way expensive for what it is

(worked at an office backing on to the market for a year)

Camden on the whole isn't the sketchiest place, it's just a bit of a loving dive that smells weird and has annoying crust bums

The other week went to Cuba Libre in Islington, http://www.cubalibrelondon.co.uk/

Really great food and drinks -and generous happy-hour 2-for-£6 cocktails. Lots of very nicely cooked cassava (half way between a potato and a parsnip), gloriously tender meat and a few bloody strange avoidable entries on the menu (Half a pineapple.. with prawns.. and cheese)

DaveP fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 11, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Camden, ugh.

I'll be at Borough Market on Saturday; anywhere good thereabouts for Modern British (I'm with food-appreciating Yankee relatives) apart from Anchor & Hope?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Ragingstiffballs posted:

Camden is always a dogey place, but there is a good place to eat here and there. Just don't go walking down the river on your own, or with your girlfriend. They will rob you there.

What??

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Blasphemy! The food stands by the canal in Camden market all have superb food. I make a special trip on the weekends to get the Arepas. I recommend them with black beans, beef, plantains, and cheese. The hungarian spinach, cheese, and sausage wrap is also pretty fantastic. Don't forget to stop by Chin Chin for some pretty super ice cream afterwards. I avoid the Stables like the plague though.

Therattle, I usually just get small things from lots of different stands at Borough. I think that's the best way to play it. Then you can sit in the church yard and just chill and eat.

The lady and I ate at Cuba Libre recently and the meat was great but everything else was pretty bad. She's Nicaraguan so we know our spanish food.

Owithey
Aug 16, 2009
Going the other way from the market/river there in Camden is a Brewdog pub. Only do 2 things, pizza and burgers, but both are pretty good. The beers they do there are great aswell.

I have to go to the Japanese Embassy on Friday. Do any of you guys know a good place to eat or drink near Green Park area? I know meat liquor is nearish, but I really would prefer not to queue. A good craft beer pub near there would be great.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Cask is nearer Victoria but is all kinds of awesome. Out of your way though...

Owithey
Aug 16, 2009
Looks good, maybe I'll head there next time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

YourCreation posted:

Therattle, I usually just get small things from lots of different stands at Borough. I think that's the best way to play it. Then you can sit in the church yard and just chill and eat.

Thanks, I'd usually happily do that but with older relatives we want a proper sit-down lunch.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

To beg my fellow goons, my cousins are coming to stay in London next week and want to organise a general family relatives sit down dinner somewhere near where they're staying in Aldgate. I know there are a ton of interesting restaurants within not too far of where there but has anyone got any particular recommendations for nice restaurants for older aunts and uncles to come along to?

Xarr
Oct 20, 2008

MrNemo posted:

To beg my fellow goons, my cousins are coming to stay in London next week and want to organise a general family relatives sit down dinner somewhere near where they're staying in Aldgate. I know there are a ton of interesting restaurants within not too far of where there but has anyone got any particular recommendations for nice restaurants for older aunts and uncles to come along to?

Any limits on cuisine and/or price? Also if its a weekend the City is pretty dead, your usually better to head west for something interesting.

I'll narrow it down if you give me some pointers on what you want, until then these would be some of my choices for that sort of thing. All are in the west end but no distance from Aldgate and will set you back about £60 a head.

Bocca Di Lupo http://www.boccadilupo.com/ Great regional Italian

Wild Honey http://www.wildhoneyrestaurant.co.uk/ French(ish)

The Delaunay http://www.thedelaunay.com/ "European"

St. John Hotel http://www.stjohnhotellondon.com/restaurant/ British nose to tail

Roast http://www.roast-restaurant.com/ British

Hix Soho http://www.hixsoho.co.uk/ British (has a great cocktail bar in the basement as well)

If its for lunch you should get a table at any of these, dinner might be more complicated. Wild Honey would be my bet as a good match, nice area, decor to suit, good food, reasonable prices, plus you can go to London's best cocktail bar; Claridges Bar, before as its only a couple of minutes walk from there.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
To add to the above, also near St Johns is North Road, which is worth considering for scandanavian cuisine, although it always seems to be criminally empty so maybe not good for atmosphere.
I also thought the Modern Pantry was pretty good on my recent visit.
It is quite dead round there on the weekend though.

But my reason for posting is this place:
http://tetsusushi.co.uk/
Tucked down Jerusalem Passage next to Modern Pantry is a new sushi restaurant. It's been open 6 weeks now and so far I haven't seen it in any papers or getting too much attention, but I suspect that may change.

I've not been to Japan (one day...) but this is presumably one of the most authentic places in the country.

The restaurant seats only 7 people! There are two tables at the front but these are for people waiting to be seated at the bar.
It's a husband and wife team - the chef previously worked at Nobu - and they were both very welcoming.

We had the 9 nigiri + 1 maki roll menu (£38 a head). I don't have much high end sushi experience to compare to but I thought it was very good. It was also a great experience watching the chef work the fish, with the occasional blowtorch where required :)

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has been, or if you like the sound of it, give it a go soon as I imagine they could become quite busy...

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

MrNemo posted:

If you like curry, Tayyabs on Fieldgate St is widely acknowledged as one of the best curry houses in London. The sizzling tandoori/grilled starters are cheap and delicious. Their take on Pakistani cuisine is outstanding, and it's excellent value for money (and BYO with no corkage fee). Booking for large groups/at busy times is essential, though, and even then you will possibly have to wait for a little bit.

It's walking distance from Aldgate, or there are a ton of buses if you're feeling lazy/full.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

If you like curry, Tayyabs on Fieldgate St is widely acknowledged as one of the best curry houses in London. The sizzling tandoori/grilled starters are cheap and delicious. Their take on Pakistani cuisine is outstanding, and it's excellent value for money (and BYO with no corkage fee). Booking for large groups/at busy times is essential, though, and even then you will possibly have to wait for a little bit.

It's walking distance from Aldgate, or there are a ton of buses if you're feeling lazy/full.

As much as I like Tayyabs, it's really not a 'nice restaurant'. It's tightly packed, you may well have to queue even with a reservation, it's loud and they do kind of rush you and want you to leave your table when you're done.

If you're looking for something 'nice' in East London, have a look at the Corner room in Bethnal Green for example. Or St. John as already mentioned.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

sweek0 posted:

As much as I like Tayyabs, it's really not a 'nice restaurant'. It's tightly packed, you may well have to queue even with a reservation, it's loud and they do kind of rush you and want you to leave your table when you're done.

If you're looking for something 'nice' in East London, have a look at the Corner room in Bethnal Green for example. Or St. John as already mentioned.

Eh, I've been there with large-ish groups and it's been fine. The downstairs bit is a lot quieter and less noisy. You can keep on ordering more and more dishes anyway :)

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Or for a nicer (and better IMO) curry, Rasa. There's one just off Oxford St.

Edit: whoops - not near Aldgate. Welp.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 16, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

Or for a nicer (and better IMO) curry, Rasa. There's one just off Oxford St.

Not anymore! It's been replaced by a loving Cote.

Had a very good lunch and glass of wine at 40 Maltby St (Gergovie) on Saturday, as well as an excellent coffee from one of the stalls before, and some delicious patisserie from another after.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

The one on Dering St?? D:

There was one further north near Goodge St that got converted I think..

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

It's a pity that Cask wasn't serving lunch today. One does have to admire their beer selection, though.

What's that place with the incredible view from some pages back? I can't find it on my phone.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Went to 10 Greek Street for the fourth time on Saturday. It's consistently good food, prices aren't too high (75 quid for dinner for two including a 25 pound bottle of wine). I definitely recommend eating at the bar - you can watch over the kitchen and see what's going on while you eat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

The one on Dering St?? D:

There was one further north near Goodge St that got converted I think..

The one on Charlotte Strasse got converted.

tentish klown posted:

Went to 10 Greek Street for the fourth time on Saturday. It's consistently good food, prices aren't too high (75 quid for dinner for two including a 25 pound bottle of wine). I definitely recommend eating at the bar - you can watch over the kitchen and see what's going on while you eat.

I'm awful tempted but I so rarely go out to dinner (with baby) and it's so near work that I'd only go there for lunch, and it is too expensive for a regular lunch.

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Won't somebody think of the tentacles?!
Can anyone recommend somewhere decent, but not too expensive to get lunch near the Science Museum (Kensington, I know, big ask...)? Failing that, what's the food like in the museum?

We're meeting some friends there who are making the trip from Nottingham so I figured we'd try for a good lunch.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Da Mario "princess diana" italian over on Gloucester Rd is pretty decent.
http://www.damario.co.uk/

Khob Khun thai a few doors up is good too. Heavy on the chilli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarr
Oct 20, 2008

Thei posted:

Can anyone recommend somewhere decent, but not too expensive to get lunch near the Science Museum (Kensington, I know, big ask...)? Failing that, what's the food like in the museum?

We're meeting some friends there who are making the trip from Nottingham so I figured we'd try for a good lunch.

The Admiral Codrington http://www.theadmiralcodrington.co.uk/ Gastro Pub. Ignore the slightly naff website, the food is great and the burgers very well written about.

Comptoir Libanais http://www.lecomptoir.co.uk/ Lebanese

Casa Brindisa http://www.brindisa.com/restaurants/casa-brindisa/ Tapas

The Brompton Quarter Brasserie http://www.bqbrasserie.com/

Or jump in a cab, not far from the museum (few quid on a cab fare) is Medlar

http://www.medlarrestaurant.co.uk/

Not been but very well written about (http://londoneater.com/2011/06/22/medlar-contender-for-best-newcomer-of-2011/) and is fantastic value.

Xarr fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 18, 2012